Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Revol posted:

Speaking of miniscale, when I first saw this, I thought it was a MOC. But no! It's 10230 Mini Modulars, a Lego VIP membership exclusive.

1,356 pieces for $80. Seems pretty cheap for a +1,000 piece set, guess it's because everything is tiny.
That is...something else. I think I'm gonna have to buy one, maybe two. Play with one, save the other and sell it for twice the price down the road, thus netting a free one to play with! :signings:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Revol posted:

Speaking of miniscale, when I first saw this, I thought it was a MOC. But no! It's 10230 Mini Modulars, a Lego VIP membership exclusive.

1,356 pieces for $80. Seems pretty cheap for a +1,000 piece set, guess it's because everything is tiny.

This is giving me a toothache holy poo poo I need like 5 of them

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Sockser posted:

This is giving me a toothache holy poo poo I need like 5 of them

They don't look properly modular, at least floor-by-floor, but I hope they can be easily modified to be made taller. Wouldn't be too hard to make a 75-floor Green Grocer.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Shuppiluliumas posted:

They don't look properly modular, at least floor-by-floor, but I hope they can be easily modified to be made taller. Wouldn't be too hard to make a 75-floor Green Grocer.

The write-up says that they do connect in to each other.

quote:

10230 Mini Modulars

Ages 12+. 1,356 pieces.
US $79.99 CA $99.99 DE 69.99 € UK 59.99 £ DK 649.00 DKK AU $119.99

Available only to our LEGO® VIP Program Members, this exclusive mini modulars set is an authentic miniature representation of the first 5 buildings in the Modular Building series: Café Corner, Market Street, Green Grocer, Fire Brigade and Grand Emporium. Featuring highly detailed design, each building can be displayed as a stand alone piece or connected to the others buildings in the set. The mini Café Corner includes details like a fan above the doorway and printed hotel signage, while the mini Market Street includes transparent bricks and a unique brick construction. The quaint mini Green Grocer also features transparent bricks and a fire escape at the rear, while the mini Fire Brigade includes a brick bell and white arch wall elements. Finally, the mini Grand Emporium has a rooftop sign, skylight and window washing platform. With fantastic detailing and a huge variety of elements in a range of rich colors, this exclusive mini modulars set is the perfect addition to every VIP Member’s collection.

Exclusively available to LEGO® VIP Members!
Authentic miniature representation of first 5 Modular Buildings: Café Corner, Market Street, Green Grocer, Fire Brigade and Grand Emporium!
Each building can be displayed individually or connected to the other buildings in the set!
All buildings feature fantastic detailing and a wide variety of elements and colors!
Completed model measures over 5″ (14.5 cm) tall, 12″ (32 cm) long and 2.5″ (6.5 cm) wide!
Each individual building measures 2.5″ (6.5 cm) long and 2.5″ (6.5 cm) wide!

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Local Walmart put out Series 5, followed the dot guide thinking I was beating the system. Four different codes, feeling good about them, get home and got 4 boxers :doh: Now I have 6 boxers:( Man, is the lumberjack so hard to find?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

DrChud posted:

Local Walmart put out Series 5, followed the dot guide thinking I was beating the system. Four different codes, feeling good about them, get home and got 4 boxers :doh: Now I have 6 boxers:( Man, is the lumberjack so hard to find?

Now a days you have to feel them up, the dot guides are not very reliable.

Boxer's hands are his tell tale mark. I've had a hard time with the lumberjack too, but I also don't care much about getting him (nor do I care about complete sets). He has a stick, but so does the dwarf. He doesn't have a big helmet though and the blade is obviously attached to his.

I go the new Yellow Cool Cruiser 5767. It looks like a lot of fun to build, but I'm not as concerned about keeping it together. I want those front round yellow pieces for a moc I'm working on.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Someone should start an SAmart thread for swapsies. I'm sure there are tons of people on here who could help each other out with swap requests

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Revol posted:

Toysnbricks says that it won't be available until January 2012 which is good considering that I swore that I wouldn't buy anything new (except the VW Camper Van) until my birthday.

Link (quotes the same press release as above, but gives a date): http://toysnbricks.com/lego-10230-mini-modulars-press-release/

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I love it. I don't know if you're familiar with the term, but TwinLUG came up with a standard for this sort of building called Micropolis. If you build the standard-sized modules, then you can connect up with others to make a whole city. People come up with some pretty awesome things in this scale.

I did in fact find that site and I've been building to spec, but I don't have enough plates for more than maybe 3 bases to that standard. I'm sure I can score some more plates pretty easily though.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Hey, I'm one of the TWINLUG guys! I don't use all that many plates on my bases, just enough to get the 16x16 top and then leave it open on the bottom or use bricks for support. As long as it's 16x16 you're good to go! I've even used solid brick over one layer of plates to make the water for my submarine MOC

Nuke sub in Micropolis by pbpancho, on Flickr

EDIT: 8x8 plates are pretty reasonable on bricklink and are the easiest way to make the bases. We were going to order several hundred on LUGBULK but they weren't available :(

Also, weighed my collection today when I moved, I have ~400lbs of Lego... I have a problem.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
All this micro-scale stuff caused me to find this. Jesus Christ.

So, do we all quit now, or something?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Fatkraken posted:

Someone should start an SAmart thread for swapsies. I'm sure there are tons of people on here who could help each other out with swap requests

DONE!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439442

Could we get this put in the OP? We could even trade normal LEGO and minifigs in that thread.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Krazyface posted:

So, do we all quit now, or something?

Absolutely not; that is the thing that made me get back into LEGO.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Christ, that makes me want to build one in real life. Look at that thing, it's beautiful.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I still have some of my childhood legos around, although I feel like I have to be missing several too. I haven't gotten em out lately but I have never forgotten the hours of joy they gave me.

Those recent alien legos have me very tempted to buy them, as they are like...pretty much a lego ripoff of Earth Defense Force. Soldiers from a three-letter organization fighting aliens in green/purple UFOs and walkers eh?

Anyone have any particular suggestions of which of those sets are the best for the cash? I've been mostly looking at the walker or the helicopter. The "big" sets kind of look like a ripoff, the mothership especially, as it just looks like a big wheel of mostly nothing. But feel free to tell me otherwise if I am mistaken.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The tripod is the preferred set of Alien Conquest. Honestly the usual ratio is 10 cents per piece, and all of the AC sets are a bit overpriced by that metric. But they're also really nice sets. The mothership also has motorized movement and a noise-making brick so you're probably paying a bit more for those more "toy"-like features. If you want to spend a lot of money the big blue Earth Defense truck would be the way to go.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The tripod certainly does look the coolest for the cheap end of stuff, but I'm noticing it doesn't come with a soldier guy either...guess I might end up getting two.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
First building done. It used all the the small red parts I had. I ran out of white "headlights" so I had to use just normal blocks for some of the windows.

You don't know how little Lego you have until you're trying to build stuff.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

CADPAT posted:

Hear, hear. I didn't touch my collection for a few months but I recently decided to build some poo poo and now I got them all over the floor and I'm trying to resort them.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Travis343 posted:

The tripod is the preferred set of Alien Conquest. Honestly the usual ratio is 10 cents per piece, and all of the AC sets are a bit overpriced by that metric. But they're also really nice sets. The mothership also has motorized movement and a noise-making brick so you're probably paying a bit more for those more "toy"-like features. If you want to spend a lot of money the big blue Earth Defense truck would be the way to go.

Just to clarify, the Mothership does not have any motorized movement. All it has is the sound brick, which triggers when you rotate outer ring.

I disassembled mine, largely because it was so drat large. I kept the Earth Defense HQ together, since it looks badass. I don't think Lego's ever designed a tougher-looking vehicle.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

CADPAT posted:

So very true! This is a really nice model, though - I love the statue in the fountain and the simplicity of the garden.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

The tripod certainly does look the coolest for the cheap end of stuff, but I'm noticing it doesn't come with a soldier guy either...guess I might end up getting two.

I got the walker together with the two smaller sets:

The car isn't all that great, and I'm definitely changing that one up, but it does come with a nice amount of weaponry, and it's enough to make a nice little scene to play with.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Pyroclastic posted:

Just to clarify, the Mothership does not have any motorized movement. All it has is the sound brick, which triggers when you rotate outer ring.

I disassembled mine, largely because it was so drat large. I kept the Earth Defense HQ together, since it looks badass. I don't think Lego's ever designed a tougher-looking vehicle.

Ah fair enough. The TRU page said something about a movement function, so I sort of assumed.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Saint Sputnik posted:

Hear, hear. I didn't touch my collection for a few months but I recently decided to build some poo poo and now I got them all over the floor and I'm trying to resort them.

I've been getting mine sorted after I went on a $900, 100+ pound buying spree to get back into it. It sure feels like a hell of a lot of lego right now, I'm sure it won't later.

My fiance has become enthralled with it. And by "it" I mean the sorting. :allears:

Testro
May 2, 2009
The problem I keep finding is that I seem to have a lot of Lego, but I never seem to have the parts I need.

I feel I am mostly being thwarted by the lack of flat tiles, which seem to crop up a fair amount in the USA's PAB walls but not in the UK - and it seems that all of the MOCs that I'm most impressed by are completely covered in them.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Torael_7 posted:

My fiance has become enthralled with it. And by "it" I mean the sorting. :allears:

I don't know if you know how goddamned lucky you are.

Testro posted:

I feel I am mostly being thwarted by the lack of flat tiles, which seem to crop up a fair amount in the USA's PAB walls but not in the UK - and it seems that all of the MOCs that I'm most impressed by are completely covered in them.

I'm still flying high from my first PAB last year, when they had 6x6 dark gray tiles. I ate that poo poo up.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Revol posted:

I don't know if you know how goddamned lucky you are.

I barely scratch the surface with this. :toot:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Being married to another nerd owns :hfive:

My wife is finally ordering the parts for the concrete truck she designed. Because she already has the horribly expensive parts it looks like it's only going to cost her a few hundred.

Her next project, unfortunately, is going to be one of those self assembling tower cranes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB91Sm-kGJ8

It's probably going to be scaled to match the 8053 mobile technic crane.

I'm already afraid of just how much this is going to cost and how much space we're going to need to display it.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
Oh. my. god.

I've always wondered how they built those and I never bothered looking it up. That video was awesome!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

EvilJoven posted:

My wife is finally ordering the parts for the concrete truck she designed. Because she already has the horribly expensive parts it looks like it's only going to cost her a few hundred.

Her next project, unfortunately, is going to be one of those self assembling tower cranes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB91Sm-kGJ8

It's probably going to be scaled to match the 8053 mobile technic crane.

I'm already afraid of just how much this is going to cost and how much space we're going to need to display it.

Didn't you post pictures of the concrete pumper in LDD form earlier? Hard to imagine how big a truck would be if it's still going to cost you a few hundred after you already have the expensive parts.

Sounds like she's moving from big MOC to SHIP. Like one of those 6' behemoth starships that have 30,000 parts. Except more expensive, since I'm not sure Technic has ever been in a PAB so you couldn't just pack a $150 box with 3000 liftarms or something.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

EvilJoven posted:

I'm not just talking about her liking Lego, but her willingness to sort it.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Pyroclastic posted:

Didn't you post pictures of the concrete pumper in LDD form earlier? Hard to imagine how big a truck would be if it's still going to cost you a few hundred after you already have the expensive parts.

Sounds like she's moving from big MOC to SHIP. Like one of those 6' behemoth starships that have 30,000 parts. Except more expensive, since I'm not sure Technic has ever been in a PAB so you couldn't just pack a $150 box with 3000 liftarms or something.

Yeah, not too much Technic in PaB that I've ever seen, (unfortunately) although several stores have had these lately for some odd reason.

What am I going to do with 20 of them? Who cares.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Revol posted:

I'm not just talking about her liking Lego, but her willingness to sort it.

Being married you discover all sorts of weird unexpected poo poo your spouse will do, totally without warning.* One day you'll come downstairs, and she'll be reupholstering a chair or something, and you never knew that she even owned hognose pliers. Or in high school she was actually a nationally-recognized actress or something. Or that she enjoys sorting LEGO.

*Yes, yes, let's get our tittering out of the way.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
Well I just spent all day working on my new future micropolis. It's like playing Sim City without having to worry about "budgets" and affording stu...

Oh wait no, now I have to pay for things in real life. Well anyways, progress was good and I got 10 modules of city done which I think is pretty good.

Probably won't be able to do much more for the next few weeks but here's what I have so far. Apparently my iPhone doesn't do well in low light and I don't have a half decent lamp so better pics will have to wait until daylight.

I now have an apartment, a duplex, a bungalow, a construction site, some cars and a bus, and of course city hall.

Apartment complex (with strange bloom effect for some reason)

The city so far

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

CADPAT posted:

First building done. It used all the the small red parts I had. I ran out of white "headlights" so I had to use just normal blocks for some of the windows.

That's some cool stuff you're making man. I actually like the use of the regular plates for the street and sidewalk, it sorta looks like a more retro lo-fi version of Micropolis. You'll have to bring that to Brickworld or similar sometime to add it to one of the big layouts!

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
Yeah I wasn't able to do any fancy SNOT stuff because if I pooled all of my tiles of all colours, I still wouldn't be able to do a whole street for one module, so I'm saving them for vehicles.

I've been looking at buying maybe a hundred 4x1s to do the streets with, but I don't think I really care enough. That being said I'd hate to bring my crappy poorly maintained roads to a Lego con down the road and have everything not jive.

Thanks for the compliment though! I'm pretty happy with my results, especially since I've never really put any effort into building anything before. I didn't think it would come along so quickly.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

CADPAT posted:

I've been looking at buying maybe a hundred 4x1s to do the streets with, but I don't think I really care enough. That being said I'd hate to bring my crappy poorly maintained roads to a Lego con down the road and have everything not jive.

Your segments can be on the wrong side of the tracks! Interspersing studs in with tiles would make for some great potholes. Clearly, the recession should be affecting Micropolis!

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Welp,

This thread has made me get back into LEGO but due to money/space problems(i live in a 4x4 room) I don't have any real LEGO at the moment, is it okay to post digital MOC's and such in this thread as well? I'm working on a microscale space freighter at the moment.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Pyroclastic posted:

It's this big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

AzMiLion posted:

Welp,

This thread has made me get back into LEGO but due to money/space problems(i live in a 4x4 room) I don't have any real LEGO at the moment, is it okay to post digital MOC's and such in this thread as well? I'm working on a microscale space freighter at the moment.

No.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Well, ok, post them.