Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

UnfurledSails posted:

I've finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman today. Excellent writing, but I thought the book was too long and did not stop to explain anything. I had to stop and research some of the more obscure gods to understand what's going on.

Did you ever figure out what the deal was with the god who made people forget they saw him? He reminds me of the Silence from this series of Doctor Who. But he was only mentioned in passing and I just don't remember anything about him...

I felt dumb that it took me longer than just reading "Mr. Wednesday" to figure out which God he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Just finished William Gaddis' Carpenter's Gothic, which is about a bored housewife with an abusive husband having an affair with a sophisticated man, though with plenty of tweaks to that formula. Everything takes place in a small suburban house, cluttered with exquisite furniture. This clutter is reflected in the text;ot only do we get to see some bits of prose again and again (like banging against a coffee table), and the writing ignores the laws of grammar, allowing for long run-on sentences with the lines between description and dialogue getting confused as it only notes the beginnings of speech with a "-", speech which can break in anywhere or trail off without warning.
While trapped in this house, there is another plot about a wave American Imperialism and Creation-Science going on outside, relayed to us (and her) by all the men who play some part in it, mostly through Gaddis' trademark monologue of somebody who has a lot to say and no skill at saying it, which is believable yet hyper-real. Not to imply that the woman doesn't have a part in the novel, far from it. These walls of text are meant to be as suffocating to us as they are to her, constantly intruding on her life. When she is left around to find peace, the book slows down with her. She is definitely underdeveloped, weak and neurotic, but that's kind of the point, with her being stunted by her role in life.
It's listed as a comedy, but while I could see where the laughs might come from, they were just too sad to be funny, caring too much about the butt of the joke. And it's oddly anachronistic. I was reading along until somebody said "media-center", flicked to the copyright page and was genuinely surprised that it's from the mid-eighties.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I finished A Dance with Dragons yesterday afternoon. I enjoyed the book, and I enjoyed the tension. I posted some thought about it over in the No Spoilers GRRM thread. Have to decide what I want to pick up next.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I normally don't bother posting about the genre fiction that I finish, since most of it is disposable mind candy, but holy poo poo was Thomas Perry's The Butcher's Boy great. Multi-viewpoint thriller centering on a nameless assassin and a DOJ agent on his trail. The assassin reminds me a lot of Richard Stark's Parker, amoral and ruthless but not sociopathic, who doesn't telegraph his next move or motives ever. There's a lot of casual humor as well, but it's not up front like a Westlake book. I will definitely read every Perry book I can get my hands on.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

dokmo posted:

I normally don't bother posting about the genre fiction that I finish, since most of it is disposable mind candy, but holy poo poo was Thomas Perry's The Butcher's Boy great. Multi-viewpoint thriller centering on a nameless assassin and a DOJ agent on his trail. The assassin reminds me a lot of Richard Stark's Parker, amoral and ruthless but not sociopathic, who doesn't telegraph his next move or motives ever. There's a lot of casual humor as well, but it's not up front like a Westlake book. I will definitely read every Perry book I can get my hands on.

We received an ARC of a sequel to this that intrigued me enough to order the first book- glad to hear I'm in for something good.

Speaking of ARCs, I'm not typically a big crime/thriller reader, but yesterday I finished Owen Laukkanen's The Professionals, a debut novel coming out early next year. There are some genre tropes present- the middle-aged cop who's a good husband but has to ignore his family to get the job done, etc- but the story is totally gripping, and if it weren't for the fact that I had to go to and from work, I would have taken care of it in one sitting. Long story short, a bunch of highly-educated (and under-employed) 20-somethings pull off a long string of low-profile kidnappings, going for the gradual buildup rather than the one "big score," but of course they make one mistake, grab the wrong guy, and.... well, we wouldn't have a story if something didn't go wrong.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 22, 2011

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

dopaMEAN posted:

Did you ever figure out what the deal was with the god who made people forget they saw him? He reminds me of the Silence from this series of Doctor Who. But he was only mentioned in passing and I just don't remember anything about him...

I felt dumb that it took me longer than just reading "Mr. Wednesday" to figure out which God he was.

http://www.neilgaiman.com/p/FAQs/Books,_Short_Stories,_and_Films

First answer is Gaiman basically trolling.

That said, some fans have been able to somewhat deduce it.

The common theory is that he's Amun from Egyption lore. However, the more I read these theories and Neil's responses to the query, the more I think he's NONE of the gods. He's quite literally just a literary comedic device on Neil's part for either humor or mystery. I think it may not be a god at all.

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.
I actually got through high school without reading 1984, which I recently finished; the fact that I kept picturing all the characters as equivalent ones from later dystopian works demonstrated to me just how influential the book was.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just wrapped up Soldiers Live, the tenth and final (until the next two Cook is writing are out) book of the Black Company. Like the third book of the north, this one wraps everything up pretty nicely, in a fairly touching way as well as Croaker puts everything in order at the end. I especially liked how One-Eye saves Goblin from his fate. I found it really touching, actually. One-Eye and Goblin spend all ten books feuding on and off pranking each other as general comedic relief, and at the end One-Eye, old age catching up with him and ruined by strokes, spends most of his time and what strength he has left enchanting his hat and his staff not to pull one over on Goblin but to rescue his buddy from the demon possessing him. Nobody else even realized it until then either.

Glen Cook isn't the greatest writer around, he reuses phrases way too often and a lot of his characters sound a bit too similar or out of character at times (especially Lady as the series goes on), but they told a compelling story with interesting characters and it hurt to watch them all eventually die, even though the whole premise is that of a mercenary band that constantly changes as it moves, attached to the past by the annals they keep. Soldiers Live had a satisfying ending and I'm not sure where he intends to go with the next two books he's writing in the series, though.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 23, 2011

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. Picked up on a whim because I liked the title. Story of a family in India leading up to "The Terror". Lured me into the false sense that it might be worth slogging through pages and pages of oh so clever plays on the English language, endless similes and excessive verbosity. It actually manages to hide the fact that it's really just a half naked couple on the cover short of getting sold to middle aged divorcees at airport bookstores. In the end it turns out The Terror is ~*Forbidden Love*~ and the whole book would have been a terrible waste of time if it weren't for the merit of the Indian setting.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

To put it simply; I enjoyed myself, quite a bit! Sure, it's no literary classic and the 80's stuff gets a little heavy handed. It was a lot of fun though and provided some good nostalgia.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Hadn't had a chance to read in a while, but I made some time and bought some new books. The last ones I read (I tend to read 2-3 at a time) were:

Attila - a historic fiction loosely based on the life of Attila the Hun, complete with some historic accuracies. Its the first book I've read that has any focus at all on the fall of Rome, the Visigoths and the Huns from any point of historic accuracy.

The Republic of Pirates - a documentary that reads like a novel which covers the Golden Age of Piracy in the Caribbean. This book is an amazing read and I've gone through it several times. If the time period interests you, or you like pirates, I highly recommend this book.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A couple of days ago, my train was an hour late, which gave me a chance to finish off Bret Easton Ellis' The Informers. It's a collection of short stories centreing around L.A. and the hyper-rich. The stories aren't completely disconnected; the narrator in one story may show up as an extra in another, an unexplained action is given significance several stories later. This suggests the possibility of some kind of meta-narrative to be drawn out, which I simply can't be bothered to do. It feels like the unifying theme is revealed at the very end in a few choice stories, where actually things happen. I figure for a more devout reader this would send them immediately to the beginning again. I was discouraged by the preceding 160-odd pages of homogeneous glop about whichever soused, uncaring git is the current focus, without even the spice of graphic and genuinely upsetting violence which enlivened American Psycho. Essentially, a better reader would have found a better book. I found like, 4 fun chapters.
Also finished The Collected Archy and Mehitabel by Don Marquis. Newspaper humourist and poet pretends that a cockroach is by night using his typewriter to write free verse (except when he wants to wheels out any of the more traditional poetic forms). Very funny and sweet, with a lot of thought behind it, except when he sends the bug to war for propaganda purposes.

VVVV Phew. I hate to think of a good book going to waste. VVVVV

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 26, 2011

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
The informers was kind of thrown together from some short stories Ellis wrote before he wrote Less Then Zero. It was basically a publishers stop gap between american psycho and Glamorama. There is no meta-narrative.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy last night. I loved the lyrical and poetic stream of consciousness style of writing. God drat was that book bleak as gently caress, though. I think I feel really bad now that I've read it, but I'm also very glad I did.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The Lady in the Lake, Raymond Chandler - My ongoing education in all things Philip Marlowe continues with this book. I have to confess that, although I enjoyed it quite a bit, it wasn't quite "there" for me like Chandler's previous novels. I think part of the reason for that is Marlowe is taken out of Los Angeles, which as we all know Chandler was so wonderful at depicting, and instead spends a lot of his time out in the country, as part of his usual investigative work. There's a lumberjack, and a country sheriff, and the cops in Bay City are so crooked as to make the L.A. police look like bastions of integrity. Overall, it's a fun read, but it was still a bit of a jarring departure from Chandler's usual L.A. setting.

Good Omens, Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett - No need to go into too much detail on this one. If you loved "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", just imagine it applied to the Rapture and you won't be far wrong. Enormously enjoyable and entertaining read.

A Winter Haunting, Dan Simmons - I'd read Simmons' "Song of Kali" what seems like ages ago (aka the early 1990s); and for whatever reason, I hadn't kept up too much with his body of work since that time. I remedied this by reading "A Winter Haunting". A writer returns to his Midwestern hometown and various weird goings-on (both supernatural and otherwise) start to happen. The description may sound a little flip on my part, but don't let that discourage you. It's an excellently creepy read.

The Count of Eleven, Ramsey Campbell - Similarly, I hadn't read much of Campbell since the mid-1990s, so I decided to grab this one as Campbell himself basically describes it as a slapstick serial killer novel that carries on being funny long after you think it shouldn't. And while Campbell's description is fairly accurate, it's still suffused with a lot of the grim, gloomy pre-New Labour Britain atmosphere that Campbell is so expert at writing. A Liverpudlian man who believes very strongly in luck and numerology sends a copy of a chain letter (this is definitely in the days before spam email) to thirteen other people. When he starts to have a run of bad luck, he comes to the conclusion that anyone on his list who didn't forward thirteen copies of the letter on in turn must be responsible, and so he starts offing them (seemingly getting confirmation of his theory when his luck changes for the better after each killing). Campbell's killer is also a devoted family man, and many of the people killed by his Liverpudlian murderer are straight out of the "rear end in a top hat that nobody will miss" character guide, but overall it's one of those rather unsettling novels that Campbell is so good at turning out.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Just finished Perdido Street Station. This was a pretty good book. I liked the imaginative setting and dissident mood, and it was interesting how China Mieville chose to end the story in a tragic manner. There were a few loose strands as far as potential sub-plots and one obvious deus ex machina character, but besides that a solid and entertaining novel.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

John Dies At the End: This one was a lot better than I expected. It's a decent horror novel with enjoyable writing. Pretty much, it's about these two guys who can see supernatural creatures because they've done a magical drug. My only real complaint is the fact I can't recommend it to anyone due to the fact it has an enormous amount of dick in it and my friends get offended very easily.

Tiger's Curse: Holy poo poo this was terrible. It's like Twilight, but somehow worse. In fact, I went to a speech by the author. She specifically said she had read Twilight, and had wanted to write something like that. It's about a girl falling in love with a tiger, who is a man for 15 minutes or so every day. It includes lines such as "His icy blue eyes fell on me, piercing into my soul." When the tiger is in the circus, she reads romance to him every loving day. By moonlight. Basically you'd like this book if you were a fan of really lovely books.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Catching Fire (Suzanne Collins) - After the first book I was in the middle of loving and hating the trilogy. After the second book I'm still not sure where I'm standing. I love the concept, but sometimes am very bothered with the pace Collins writes in (it seems either too fast or to slow, and when it's too fast it seems to skip details). On to the final book though, I must know how this ends, because I was actually surprised that Katniss returns to the Hunger Games a second time and I'm wondering what the final book will bring. No doubt either either Gale (is that his name?) or Peta dies, and something with District 13. I just don't know what!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Beekeeping and You posted:

John Dies At the End: This one was a lot better than I expected. It's a decent horror novel with enjoyable writing. Pretty much, it's about these two guys who can see supernatural creatures because they've done a magical drug. My only real complaint is the fact I can't recommend it to anyone due to the fact it has an enormous amount of dick in it and my friends get offended very easily.
Did you see the trailer for the movie?

quote:

Tiger's Curse: Holy poo poo this was terrible. It's like Twilight, but somehow worse. In fact, I went to a speech by the author. She specifically said she had read Twilight, and had wanted to write something like that. It's about a girl falling in love with a tiger, who is a man for 15 minutes or so every day. It includes lines such as "His icy blue eyes fell on me, piercing into my soul." When the tiger is in the circus, she reads romance to him every loving day. By moonlight. Basically you'd like this book if you were a fan of really lovely books.

Oh gently caress, I ordered this online the other day, because, well, I like big cats :\

At least it was only like $9.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Game Change (John Heileman & Mark Halperin): The one about the 2008 primaries and election. Good stuff. Strangely, Obama was the least fascinating of characters. The ending is so hopeful that it's painful to read. They totally glossed over Mike Huckabee. For a few minutes there, yes, he was a credible threat to McCain. Besides, I wanted some insiders' views of a campaign that featured Chuck Norris, Ric Flair and bad covers of Boston songs. Other than that, well worth a read. As non-political as a political book can get.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Gunn's Golden Rules by Tim Gunn. In my optinion it's not so much a book as a collection of rambling monologues. I did enjoy it quite a bit, probably because I imagined it being read aloud by Tim. It's a very conversational style, so much so that I sort of wish I'd looked for an audiobook version.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Beekeeping and You posted:

I suppose it'd be too much to hope the female lead hails from Niger.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Grawl posted:

Catching Fire (Suzanne Collins)

I just finished this last night. Not to say THG had any great writing in it or anything, but this entire book just feels rushed and is entirely too plotty for my tastes. That said, I read 200 pages in one sitting and immediately started on Mockingjay. Say what you will about the writing in YA lit, it's easily digestible at least!

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Did you see the trailer for the movie?

Oh gently caress, I ordered this online the other day, because, well, I like big cats :\

At least it was only like $9.

Oh my god, I did NOT see that. Wow, that looks like it'll be fantastic! And I guess the tiger book is okay if you are somehow both a Twilight fan and a furry. Which I'm betting you're not.

And nope, not from Niger. She was white, and pretty much had all of Bella's personality, too.

EDIT: Might as well mention. The Tiger's Curse series was self-published on the internet until the third book, where a publisher pretty much saw it had a million fangirls, and decided to pick it up. At least the author seemed nice at the speech.

Beekeeping and You fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 28, 2011

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I just finished The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson. I was really into it, very scary to have a first person narrative from a character that is clearly mentally disturbed. I never saw the twist of Joyce being alive and talking until Thompson sprang it on me.

I have the day off tomorrow and I am starting At the Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft. Looking forward to it.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 29, 2011

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Beastie posted:

I just finished The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson. I was really into it, very scary to have a first person narrative from a character that is clearly mentally disturbed. I never saw the twist of Joyce being alive and talking until Thompson sprang it on me.

Ha, nice. I just finished that a couple days ago and liked it myself. I saw the movie (came out in 2010 with Casey Affleck as Lou) a few months ago so I had the twist ruined for me. It's good in the sense that Affleck is creepy as Lou and the violence is surprisingly disturbing - there's hardly any blood, but he beats the living gently caress out of Jessica Alba (Joyce) and Kate Hudson (his fiancee - her name escapes me momentarily) pretty much the same way he does in the book. Affleck is a great actor but I feel like the movie didn't really explain Lou's behavior or his motivation nearly as well as the book did - his whole "acting slow to cover up his psychotic tendencies". It is fairly faithful to the book otherwise including the ending except I think they got rid of the union hall guy thing (which would have explained his behavior...).

Encryptic fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 29, 2011

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
The second book in Stieg Larsson's "The Girl..." series. It was surprisingly decent after the first book, I was expecting things to radically drop off in terms of poo poo to write about, but it was actually pretty good.

Now to just read the third one so I can say "Yeah, I've read that series".

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Wade Wilson posted:

The second book in Stieg Larsson's "The Girl..." series. It was surprisingly decent after the first book, I was expecting things to radically drop off in terms of poo poo to write about, but it was actually pretty good.

Now to just read the third one so I can say "Yeah, I know a bit about the Swedish constitution."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Indrazar
Sep 19, 2011
Recently I finished Snow Crash and The Diamond Age: Or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer both of which are by Neal Stephenson. These books were really fun and relatively fast to read. I think that the The Diamond Age might be set in the same universe as Snow Crash, but a hundred years later or so.

I really enjoyed Snow Crash’s strange opening and the writing style that Stephenson used. Many of the situations the characters found themselves in were very over-the-top and I found it to be entertaining rather than silly.

Reading The Diamond Age right after Snow Crash was very slow at the start. The books had similar styles, but the change of pace threw me off. The Diamond Age did not throw you directly into the action where Snow Crash did. Once I got about halfway through I started to really enjoy it.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Lee Child's new Reacher book, The Affair is a huge pile of poo poo. I don't know if these keep getting worse or my tolerance for the ridiculous just keeps decreasing or what, but this poo poo has got to stop. I have no idea why I keep buying them. Read it in one 6-hour marathon sitting

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Wade Wilson posted:

Now to just read the third one so I can say "Yeah, I've read that series".

Finished the last book yesterday, not sure how I feel about having read it now, but it must have been pretty good since I sat there reading the whole thing between Saturday afternoon/evening and yesterday morning.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A few days ago I finished Ticket to Ride by Dennis Potter. It's down on my lists as a thriller about an amnesiac in London rediscovering who he is, but it's far weirder and unfamiliar than that suggests. He moves forward and backwards in his own personal chronology, when he's not unstuck from his body, flying about and seeing through walls. Another character is introduced, adding a consistent if increasingly fraught timeline; that is, while she does spend a lot of time remembering things, there is still the sense that she is remembering them, rather than living them afresh.
As for what this book's actually about, it's the old stalwarts of lust and shame, a sense of an other self, and a wounded, hyper-active masculinity. More particularly, it keeps coming back to prostitutes, and the twin impulses to rescue them and exploit them. Potter's excellent in providing genuine grimness to back this up, despite the book's overall psychedelic weirdness and later jaunts in melodrama, and shakespearian tragedy (Lear in particular).
The main style of the book is very rich; long complex sentences that kept on sending me back to start of the paragraph to try them again. A bit of a headache to be frank, and even the smallest of chapters (longest is around 20 pages, shortest is 2) felt like an accomplishment to me. The final 30 or so pages put the breaks on the pace, as is traditional in thrillers (it was first around here that I started agreeing with the classification), though even at the end it remains a good deal of its mystery. Still not entirely sure if I've got the right end of the stick, narratively speaking. Anyway, I enjoyed it immensely.

Eggbert Shoots Fire
Jul 30, 2003

Hey guys what is going on in this thread
I just finished Neuromancer by William Gibson. It was a long time coming, I am working through my list of Must-Read Sci-Fi books on Goodreads.com. I'm enjoying the rest of the trilogy, though not quite as much.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Eggbert Shoots Fire posted:

I just finished Neuromancer by William Gibson. It was a long time coming, I am working through my list of Must-Read Sci-Fi books on Goodreads.com. I'm enjoying the rest of the trilogy, though not quite as much.

TBH I liked Virtual Light better, although I haven't read the sequels (either to it or Neuromancer). Not lack of interest, just haven't made the time.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Eggbert Shoots Fire posted:

Goodreads.com.

Welp, I know what I'm going to be doing this evening.

AstuteCat
May 4, 2007

Just finished The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Olivier Sacks, I rather enjoyed it - it was both fascinating and also quite sad at the same time.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I just finished Call of Cthulhu and At The Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft. I had been familiar with the mythos before, but never actually bothered to read about it.

The way the Lovecraft leaves so much to the reader's imagination just compounds the horrors of Elder Things and the Shoggoths. My brain is killing itself trying to dream up what lies beyond the Mountains of Madness. After doing some research on the book I found out Guillermo Del Toro is directing the movie version of At the Mountains of Madness.

Speaking of Guillermo Del Toro, if anyone is looking for a good vampire trilogy, he has co-written one called The Strain. Its pretty awesome and a cool new twist on vampires. Book three comes out at the end of the month.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The Forever War, Joe Haldeman - Amazing book. I really cannot recommend this book highly enough. Not only was it timely when the author wrote it in the 1970s (Haldeman is a Vietnam veteran; the book is basically his experiences in that war filtered through a science fiction setting), but it's just as relevant today.

The novel follows a character by the name of Mandella, a soldier in the army that is fighting an alien race known as the Taurans. Over the course of the book, Mandella not only deals with the typical "hurry up and wait" mentality prevalent in the military, but also experiences severe culture shock: partly because of his exposure to the horrors of war, and partly because of the effects of time dilation (thanks to traveling at near the speed of light). (Edit) There are some really great scenes where they show just how much things change back home for a soldier; even though they're magnified due to the science fiction setting, they're still an excellent parable for how war not only changes the soldier that's fighting, but changes the lifestyle of the people and places he's fighting to protect.

I could go on, but I'll just say that if you like science fiction that contains military elements without being too jingoistic, you'll definitely enjoy this novel.

(Edited to remove some massive spoilers that I rather unthinkingly put in. If you accidentally saw them, please accept my apologies and don't let my dumbassery dissuade you from reading the book. :) )

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 5, 2011

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Grandpa Pap posted:

The Forever War, Joe Haldeman - Amazing book. I really cannot recommend this book highly enough. Not only was it timely when the author wrote it in the 1970s (Haldeman is a Vietnam veteran; the book is basically his experiences in that war filtered through a science fiction setting), but it's just as relevant today.

I could go on, but I'll just say that if you like science fiction that contains military elements without being too jingoistic, you'll definitely enjoy this novel.

I really love this book and am glad you liked it, but you're doing some serious spoilering with that post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
Little Brother, by Cory Doctorow. I've never read anything quite like it, but I'm definitely impressed. Doctorow presents a really well-characterized world that is a 'There for the grace of God...' away from our own.