Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

HNasty posted:

It's not everyone else's responsibility to provide a place for you to pursue your hobby.

It's not property owners complaining about us normally, it's cops not understanding what we're trying to do and being pricks (they normally think we're racing and tell us to go to the track).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

inolen posted:

It's not property owners complaining about us normally, it's cops not understanding what we're trying to do and being pricks (they normally think we're racing and tell us to go to the track).

Maybe you should take their advice. Or you know, buy a lot to stunt on.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

Generally most people protest any sort of idiot behavior. Hell, sigtrap even came in here awhile back and said that any street racing bullshit would get you banned (ie, Jack the Smack's poo poo). Even then, his videos weren't that bad, just powerwheelies down public streets. Riding a standup through oncoming traffic is a loving deathwish, and I'm pretty sure if we had any videos of people pulling absolutely insane poo poo like that, then yeah, they're get bitched at too.

The only sumo video I can think of where that happens is that old as hell french one. Or the greek possturvat shops one (not supermoto, but similar behavior). But everyone knows those guys aren't long for this world. And you can bet that when I've been in that situation, I've either called people on their bullshit if I thought it'd do a bit of good, or just never rode with them again if I thought it wouldn't.

I like inolen. He's a good guy, he's got a good head on his shoulders, he's got a good site that puts out a lot of positive press on stunters doing their thing off the streets. He's done a lot of badass stuff, and his site tends to be devoid of the fistpumping idiocy that you find on a lot of other stunting sites...I just think that he could do a lot to help the stunting community by saying "Hey, guys, let's tone it down with the street stuff and try to get more space for stunting off public roads".

Of course, he's free to tell me to go piss up a rope, and I wouldn't be offended if he did. I'd still go rock wheelies and read his site and poo poo. I just think that he's got a voice in the community that could really help towards getting stunting legitimized.

I don't bring this poo poo up because I want to feel self righteous about "THOSE drat STUNTERS" or any poo poo like that. I just think that there's a positive change to be made here, and that maybe in some small way we can all work together to make a difference and rock sweet stand ups.

Point taken, I can get behind that.

inolen posted:

So this really confuses me. I got in an accident one day in a parking lot where the other party was clearly at fault (they backed into me as I was driving behind them). The cop on that came on the scene and filled out an accident report for the both of us. When I looked at it later I noticed that the officer did not assign fault on his report. I called him back and what he basically said was because the accident happened on private property and not a public road, the lady couldn't be charged with improper backing as there was no rules against in a private lot and that his hands were tied to really enforce anything.

That sounds just as wtf to me and as it does you but I wasn't going to argue with the guy as I don't know the law at all when it comes to this stuff. But if that's the way it is how come they'll sure as poo poo give everyone tickets and poo poo when they're stunting in a parking lot.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 1, 2011

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Maybe you should take their advice. Or you know, buy a lot to stunt on.

I don't think the resources exist in our sport to make that possible yet, sorry.

I don't know if either of you felt like perhaps thinking about what you wrote for a few seconds, but race tracks and skateboard parks came long after the respective sports were developed :v:

Also, unlike racers who need dedicated tracks to get off the streets, there are many pre-existing lots that suit our off-road purposes perfectly. I don't know about you, but wasting land, money and resources to create an isolated duplication of some pre-existing structure seems like a rather silly solution to a social problem.

I get along great here in France, in fact we called the cops to kick some hostile gypsies out of our spot today so we could ride:

Coredump posted:

That sounds just as wtf to me and as it does you but I wasn't going to argue with the guy as I don't know the law at all when it comes to this stuff. But if that's the way it is how come they'll sure as poo poo give everyone tickets and poo poo when they're stunting in a parking lot.

As far as I know it's different in every state. I believe CA referred to it as "private property with public access," but at the end of the day it boils down to what the cops wants to write tickets for, and how much time you want to spend in a courtroom.

inolen fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 1, 2011

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

inolen posted:

I don't think the resources exist in our sport to make that possible yet, sorry.

I don't know if either of you felt like perhaps thinking about what you wrote for a few seconds, but race tracks and skateboard parks came long after the respective sports were developed :v:

Also, unlike racers who need dedicated tracks to get off the streets, there are many pre-existing lots that suit our off-road purposes perfectly. I don't know about you, but wasting land, money and resources to create an isolated duplication of some pre-existing structure seems like a rather silly solution to a social problem.

I get along great here in France, in fact we called the cops to kick some hostile gypsies out of our spot today so we could ride:

As far as I know it's different in every state. I believe CA referred to it as "private property with public access," but at the end of the day it boils down to what the cops wants to write tickets for, and how much time you want to spend in a courtroom.

How about about paying the property owner to use the lot, that way cops can't say poo poo to you, you're on private land.

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

HNasty posted:

How about about paying the property owner to use the lot, that way cops can't say poo poo to you, you're on private land.

Because that's not how it works 100%. Private property, motor vehicles and law enforcement isn't cut and dried.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

inolen posted:

Because that's not how it works 100%. Private property, motor vehicles and law enforcement isn't cut and dried.

P sure that's what the SCCA people do when they race their miatas around cones and poo poo.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Coredump posted:

Point taken, I can get behind that.

So this really confuses me. I got in an accident one day in a parking lot where the other party was clearly at fault (they backed into me as I was driving behind them). The cop on that came on the scene and filled out an accident report for the both of us. When I looked at it later I noticed that the officer did not assign fault on his report. I called him back and what he basically said was because the accident happened on private property and not a public road, the lady couldn't be charged with improper backing as there was no rules against in a private lot and that his hands were tied to really enforce anything.

They can't really enforce traffic laws on non public roads but they can tell you to get off of private property.

Most of the time they ask you if you're the owner (knowing you're not) and then ask if you have permission from the owner (knowing you don't) this way they can get you to leave without receiving a complaint. It's not really to protect the property so much as it is to prevent large groups of people from congregating in groups because they thinks it causes trouble (most of the time it does).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

HNasty posted:

P sure that's what the SCCA people do when they race their miatas around cones and poo poo.

Miata owners usually aren't considered a menace/enforcement target like stunters are. Because of that, cops don't go generally go after them...although I have had people doing unofficial autocrosses get busted, and I've had cops roll up when I'm teaching people to ride in a parking lot. Some are cool, some will try and nail you on anything.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

HNasty posted:

Yes, governing bodies and legitimate, well-presented organizations with actual resources are much more of a deterrent to a cop being a dick than a kid with a piece of paper saying he can do wheelies in the parking lot, also, they clearly they have more ts crossed and is dotted than a singular person.

front wing flexing posted:

They can't really enforce traffic laws on non public roads but they can tell you to get off of private property.

In many states they can hit you with the same exact tickets as if you were on the road if the access to the parking lot isn't closed off (this definition is total gray area).

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Z3n posted:

Miata owners usually aren't considered a menace/enforcement target like stunters are. Because of that, cops don't go generally go after them...although I have had people doing unofficial autocrosses get busted, and I've had cops roll up when I'm teaching people to ride in a parking lot. Some are cool, some will try and nail you on anything.

I dunno the Miata drivers you run into at deals gap are a pretty big menace. This just sounds like you need someone who knows how to talk to cops, if you have a agreement with the owner of the property and it's private land the cops can gently caress right off. At most this would require a little paper work and some planning. Why not call the cops ahead of time and tell them what you're doing so they don't flip out. It's not anywhere near a impossibility, I'm surprised more stunters do it. Anyway here is some content.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

inolen posted:

It's not a "justification," it's just the reality of the situation.

If stunters in America were harassed less in the lots and could more reliably meet up and ride there, I feel it would definitely start chipping away at people who participate in these events. Again, I'm not saying "oh poor persecuted stunters deserve the world because they're so cool," I'm just pointing out a little in this case can definitely go a long way. One cop telling you it's cool if you ride in x lot and he appreciates you not riding on the street will make most stunters an anti-street evangelist pretty fast.

In America, if you hurt or kill yourself (or someone else) in my parking lot, I'm legally liable, and could face millions of dollars in law suits. Also, there's no way you could get insurance as a business if you knew that's what was going on in your lot. This is why it doesn't happen in the US, and probably never will.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This looks pretty loving evil:

BMW S1000RR Megalodon

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coredump posted:

Yes, Phat Albert, ruler of Cycle Asylum, has spoken. Inolen you must leave here in shame.

Sweet post bro :hfive:

Way to miss the point too. What im saying is he's done a lot to improve the image of stunters here, in a forum where they typically werent very accepted. Backing things like this undoes that.

But yeah, it was just me trying to play "ruler of CA" and telling him to get out.

Blinken
Aug 11, 2007
Who wants to rule over like 12 people anyways?

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Nomex posted:

In America, if you hurt or kill yourself (or someone else) in my parking lot, I'm legally liable, and could face millions of dollars in law suits. Also, there's no way you could get insurance as a business if you knew that's what was going on in your lot. This is why it doesn't happen in the US, and probably never will.

This is simply not true.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Does that guy have an Edwards replica helmet to go with the Edwards replica R6?

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

-Inu- posted:

Does that guy have an Edwards replica helmet to go with the Edwards replica R6?

Ya but I think both both those things are Roberts replicas which Edwards also wore.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

HNasty posted:

So when are you assholes heading back to the gap? I'm getting bored yelling at people for being in the wrong lane alone.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

HNasty posted:

This is simply not true.

It's actually kinda true if you could prove negligence on the part of the property owner, and prove that the accident coincided with what a reasonable person would do.

You slip and fall on some ice that formed over night, too bad. You slipped and fell on some ice that the property was aware of while walking, sue em. You slipped and fell on some ice the property knew about while you weren't looking because you were blowing your 500lb man servant "Sla-var the Anal Destructor" while propelling yourself on a Mattel hoverboard, too bad again.

If you bring a Jury into this, throw all of that out of the window. gently caress Juries.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

TheFonz posted:

gently caress Juries.

Yes, truly we need more people, specifically judges to protect the interests of government and big business.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

TheFonz posted:

It's actually kinda true if you could prove negligence on the part of the property owner, and prove that the accident coincided with what a reasonable person would do.

You slip and fall on some ice that formed over night, too bad. You slipped and fell on some ice that the property was aware of while walking, sue em. You slipped and fell on some ice the property knew about while you weren't looking because you were blowing your 500lb man servant "Sla-var the Anal Destructor" while propelling yourself on a Mattel hoverboard, too bad again.

If you bring a Jury into this, throw all of that out of the window. gently caress Juries.

Depends on your state but you can sign plenty of idiot waivers and dumbass releases, I'm not saying property owners should start letting stunters use their lots whenever they want, I'm saying stunters should pick a good spot, strike deals, sign whatever waivers and releases and get poo poo done, this really isn't impossible, if one person can't do it then why not start a organization. Basically the argument "we don't have anywhere to go" is a cop out.

for NitroSpazz

Just because it's awesome

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Nomex posted:

Also, there's no way you could get insurance as a business if you knew that's what was going on in your lot. This is why it doesn't happen in the US, and probably never will.
I used to participate in a Renaissance Recreation organization back in the day. The national organization had chapters in about a dozen states, and around 1500 members nationally.
A $1,000,000 Commercial Liability Policy cost the organization around $750/year in 2001. Adjust for inflation-ish things, and you're looking at maybe $1500/year - for an organization composed of members who hit each other with *live steel* at their events.

The problem I see isn't with setting up the structure of an organization, or finding level headed individuals to fulfill the leadership roles - it's convincing a bunch of teens and 20-somethings (who are totally willing to spend hundreds or thousands on tricking out their Gixxers) that $75/year and $50/event is a completely reasonable thing to expect if you want to enjoy the benefit of legitimacy - which means not being hassled by the cops, but also means having to have the self-regulation to practice your hobby on a schedule...

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zxxM9EYQzY

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Bless those Russians...never change.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
http://www.bikeexif.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/moto-guzzi-stelvio.jpg

take a second to absorb what's going on here.

Hyper-motard.
Moto-Guzzi
1420 cc.
One-hundred and Forty horsepower.
Single sided swingarm?

:psyboom:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If it's like any other italian sumo it will grenade an engine every 500 miles.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
That sump looks like it's begging to get hit by something solid.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Hahahah oh god it has rain tires on it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Best thing I've seen all day

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Hyper-motard.
Moto-Guzzi
1420 cc.
Single sided swingarm?

lemme add something to your brainsplosion:

Shaft Drive

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Hyper-motard.
Moto-Guzzi
1420 cc.
Single sided swingarm?

Oh hell yes.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
That thing looks sexy as hell but the oil pan looks very vulnerable and it's probably quite heavy. A quick Google search of the Stelvio says they weigh upwards of 550 lbs. Even if you drop 100 lbs off of it for all the stuff removed it's still quite the porker and heavier than most sport bikes.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

That thing looks sexy as hell but the oil pan looks very vulnerable and it's probably quite heavy. A quick Google search of the Stelvio says they weigh upwards of 550 lbs. Even if you drop 100 lbs off of it for all the stuff removed it's still quite the porker and heavier than most sport bikes.

They've lost most of the plastic, the end can and chopped the subframe. It's quite possibly similar in pork to the Dorsoduro 1200. Whether there's any point in buying a Stelvio to turn it into this when you could just buy a Dorso for a lot less money is of course a good question.

As is, in turn, why you would buy a Dorsoduro 1200 when you could buy a Super Duke, a Mk II Tuono, a Hypermotard etc etc etc, any of which are capable of leaving something that heavy for dead at the first sign of a corner.

Presumably the answer has to be, you really want a Guzzi.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
You can ask the same of any other one-off bike ever. The answer is never "because it is the smart option".

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

HNasty posted:

for NitroSpazz

is that a honda SOHC 4 motor?
it certainly looks it.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

is that a honda SOHC 4 motor?
it certainly looks it.

IIRC, it's supposed to be the CB750 from Joe Bar Team. Following an experiment with nitro-methanol, which was some sort of weird recurring French joke in that strip.

e: sorry, "Nitroglycerimethanol".

Saga fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Never has :stare: been more appropriate.

Crazy loving Finns.

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47225