Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

nonanone posted:

I like petapixel! It's a good round-up of pretty much all the photography news and "hey that's cool."

Thanks, looks pretty good. Dan, I'm checking your suggestion as well.

Self publsh, at Feature Shoot http://www.featureshoot.com/2011/10/self-publish-be-naughty-nsfw/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Something that has been bugging me lately is the term "bigger / smaller aperture". When I say "Use a large aperture for this shot", do you think "f/2.8 (physically biggger) or f/16? (bigger number?)"

It's not a bigger number- it's a fraction and therefore a smaller number (with a bigger denominator). Clarification is only required when talking to a beginner or somebody who flunked math.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Waiting for the money I am getting back from insurance for my d7000 is just cruel, but I am still happy that I am getting anything back. I've been using a d40 since august. However I am waiting to see how the nex7 and x200 do so I am in no rush, but I do miss the d7000.

end rant

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hahaha being forced to use a D40 after a D7000 muust be like pulling teeth.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Develop b&w film using coffee and vitamin C!
http://www.petapixel.com/2011/07/01/how-to-develop-film-using-coffee-and-vitamin-c/

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Anti_Social posted:

I'm an idiot.

Playing devil's advocate here; the crowd could have been much more interesting than a guy that does the same routine every show.

I might or might not have a job shooting 2 different Halloween parties at two different bars, in the largest city here. Here's to hoping.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Seems like that Lytro light field camera is now accepting preorders for a 2012 release:

https://www.lytro.com/camera

Is it wrong that I'm more interested in the 8x zoom lens with f/2 aperture across the entire zoom range in what's essentially a $400 point and shoot?

Downside: Seems like the camera has a fixed f/2 aperture, that's why the pictures taken with it are so soft.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 20, 2011

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

The Lytro might be pretty interesting depending on how they share the code. I am curious what the actual pixel count is, 11 mega rays sounds like space talk.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

daspope posted:

The Lytro might be pretty interesting depending on how they share the code. I am curious what the actual pixel count is, 11 mega rays sounds like space talk.

They very conveniently don't mention the resolution anywhere, so I'm guessing its something like 1000x1000.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I think they said it's roughly equivalent to 1080p resolution.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Yeah the guy from the company wouldn't give specifics other than "At least HD". The funny this is that consider if its a 1920x1080 picture...these files seem to be rocking at about 22-23MBs. That is kind of crazy.

Very very cool, if I had ridiculous disposable income I'd get it...but I don't haha.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
One of the partners of my company just pre-ordered one.

Disposable income must be nice.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

FasterThanLight posted:

They very conveniently don't mention the resolution anywhere, so I'm guessing its something like 1000x1000.

If that is true the resolution isn't far off from my quicktake 150.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I keep reading "it's software, not hardware" which seems to me that the camera takes an image at infinity, F/2 and then filter fucks it with blurring and sharpening.

I don't, however, quite understand how it can differentiate between levels, which I guess is the whole point. Maybe it slides the sensor back a centimetre when you push the shutter and just films it.

I'm betting it doesn't do it real time on the screen at the back, though. There's an engineer somewhere, at Nikon probably, just groaning like a bomb tech watching The Hurt Locker. They'll have some sweet phrase they'll say to each other in Japanese that'll boil down to "loving consumers".

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Verman posted:

One of the partners of my company just pre-ordered one.

The exact same thing happened to me a few hours ago.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Helmacron posted:

I'm betting it doesn't do it real time on the screen at the back, though. There's an engineer somewhere, at Nikon probably, just groaning like a bomb tech watching The Hurt Locker. They'll have some sweet phrase they'll say to each other in Japanese that'll boil down to "loving consumers".

It sure does, and you can see this in a video that's around here somewhere...

Here's the dissertation describing how it works - it's both hardware and software: http://www.lytro.com/renng-thesis.pdf

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
The only useful applications I can think of are security related.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I just got back from a field visit to Crowsnest Pass, AB, and it was gorgeous. The top of the mountains had snow, the mid range had fall coloured trees, and the bases were covered in beautiful gold prairies. The clouds were swirling above the tops of the mountains, and every so often the sun would peek through and make it absolutely stunning. Of course I didn't bring one single electronic capable of taking pictures....though I was driving along all the sketchy radio roads anyway so I probably shouldn't have been taking pictures, but drat...how come the restricted areas have the best views?? Even if I plan to go back for a photo trip, I'd never be able to get up to the area I was since it's not a public road. I need to get my own car and do some exploring.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Holy gently caress, iPhone 4S pictures (and 100% crops) from someone who knows how to use cameras well, and has decent lighting:

http://campl.us/iPhone-4S-Extreme-Closeups

I'm pretty speechless at the fact that a phone took those.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

David Pratt posted:

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/07/01/how-to-develop-film-using-coffee-and-vitamin-c/

Works surprisingly well actually, I tried it with Acros ages ago and the negatives turned out great.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Shmoogy posted:

Holy gently caress, iPhone 4S pictures (and 100% crops) from someone who knows how to use cameras well, and has decent lighting:

Ugh those are amazing. I wish someone made an android phone w/ a camera like that.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Reichstag posted:

The only useful applications I can think of are security related.

I agree. Why would anyone want to go through all their photos focusing after the fact anyways? Is missed focus really THAT much a problem, especially as autofocus continues improving?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nonanone posted:

I agree. Why would anyone want to go through all their photos focusing after the fact anyways? Is missed focus really THAT much a problem, especially as autofocus continues improving?

It's not that focusing is hard, it's that recording more data opens new options for post-processing.

I would certainly enjoy being able to muck with the DOF in post.

One easy case would be a macro shot of an insect where your razor-thin DOF happened to land on an antenna, instead of the eyes like you wanted. With this lightfield stuff, you can recover the photo by adjusting a slider. With a traditional camera you throw the picture away.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

David Pratt posted:

I'm pretty sure MacGyver did this once.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I just saw this in PYF, its kind of funny;

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Shmoogy posted:

Goddamn. I was just going to get an iPhone 4 once my contract is up on my 3Gs. I think I'm going to get a 4s after seeing how high quality the camera is.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

It's not that focusing is hard, it's that recording more data opens new options for post-processing.

One easy case would be a macro shot of an insect where your razor-thin DOF happened to land on an antenna, instead of the eyes like you wanted. With this lightfield stuff, you can recover the photo by adjusting a slider. With a traditional camera you throw the picture away.
That's one good use for it. I'm curious about the possibilities for multiple, discrete DOF in a single image. You could get that now by masking, I suppose, but perhaps it's different / easier using this "megaray" malarky?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ZoCrowes posted:

Goddamn. I was just going to get an iPhone 4 once my contract is up on my 3Gs. I think I'm going to get a 4s after seeing how high quality the camera is.

I bought a Galaxy S2 two months ago because it has a pretty good camera, despite the fact I've got an iPod Touch, an iPad, and a Macbook Pro. I ideally would have wanted to get the next generation iPhone, but waiting two months + putting up with the shittiest major carrier in Japan (they rather unexpectedly started offering it on another carrier, but too late) wasn't an option for me. They also disable tethering here, which is a dealbreaker for me (can't connect my personal computer to the network at work).

Maybe they'll put the nice camera in the next generation Touch :smith:

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I bought a Galaxy S2 two months ago because it has a pretty good camera, despite the fact I've got an iPod Touch, an iPad, and a Macbook Pro. I ideally would have wanted to get the next generation iPhone, but waiting two months + putting up with the shittiest major carrier in Japan (they rather unexpectedly started offering it on another carrier, but too late) wasn't an option for me. They also disable tethering here, which is a dealbreaker for me (can't connect my personal computer to the network at work).

Maybe they'll put the nice camera in the next generation Touch :smith:

Why do they disable tethering there?

I've gotta wait until February until my contract is up. It's not that big of a deal but I was hoping for something sooner. I really can't get over that camera the more I look into it.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I bought a Galaxy S2 two months ago because it has a pretty good camera

LIES

LIES

LIES

The Galaxy S2's camera is about as good as the cheap, crappy camera on the cheap, crappy phone I got for free five years ago. Every regular Japanese phone I've had has a better camera than this. :(

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

xzzy posted:

From the way they're talking it seems like the images are going to be relatively closed files as they talk a lot about compatibility and stuff, so I imagine the software is pretty much going to be a broad thing with filters and the ability to upload to their Facebook app etc.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

tarepanda posted:

LIES

LIES

LIES

The Galaxy S2's camera is about as good as the cheap, crappy camera on the cheap, crappy phone I got for free five years ago. Every regular Japanese phone I've had has a better camera than this. :(

How about the Galaxy S2 X (Or S2 Hercules it might be called some places). How do I know?? I am planning to pick one up next weekend, but if the camera is poo poo, I don't know if I'll want it.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

hah, a girl I've photographed has appeared in the PYF boobs thread.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Paragon8 posted:

hah, a girl I've photographed has appeared in the PYF boobs thread.

We get this, but not a link to the image? How do we know exactly which boobs we should be looking for?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Sevn posted:

We get this, but not a link to the image? How do we know exactly which boobs we should be looking for?

oh the picture isn't mine, I just recognised the model.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

fun fact of the day: due to a rare genetic disorder, some peoples' piss can be used as film developer.

http://www.cmaj.ca/content/172/8/1002.full

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

tarepanda posted:

LIES

LIES

LIES

Really? It got pretty decent reviews, and it's a big step up from the lovely 2MP Razr2 I was using in the States before I left.

Came in here to post this little snippet of English, and also note that it looks like they're using a Canon DSLR in this photo booth:

Purikura (Photo Booth) Glory Hole by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Yeehaw McKickass
Dec 15, 2004

tarepanda posted:

LIES

LIES

LIES

http://vimeo.com/26511934

Barring the cheesy faux TS, looks pretty good to me.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
GoPro 2 is out, and it looks very nice. Colors are supposed to be better, and the photo taking capabilities are much better. Sold my original Hero to a friend just yesterday, hope he doesn't see this new Hero2 and want a refund lol.

http://gizmodo.com/5852612/gopro-hero-2-lightning-review-best-sports-cam-ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Amazing stuff always comes out of SIGGRAPH.

http://kevinkarsch.com/publications/sa11.html

Make sure to watch the video. The short version is that this software allows a user to insert a synthetic object in to an existing photo, and the software calculates the lighting, shadowing, and color changes to the scene and adds them to the image automatically.

The very first thing I though of when I saw this was that wootfatigue was either going to love it or hate it.