Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffhauzer
Oct 16, 2011

IRQ posted:

even though his books are Randroid self insert rape fantasy, can get books out the door, unlike Gurm.

This is why he can churn out books, because he writes them by slapping his dick on a word processor. Gurm actually uses his thick sausagy fingers to write his books and the result is 1. engaging and unpredictable storytelling and 2. sensuous descriptions of medieval food bordering on fixation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The food descriptions are the best part.

candied puppy brains~~~:nyoron:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

rejutka posted:

To be fair, testicles are poison factories and them fuckers rupturing and spilling chemicals means you have not a lot of time before you up and die.

Kick Gurm in the balls, I guess*.

*Kick hard and with a stretched, flatted foot shape for maximum rupturosity.

This just seems like dangerous advice to me. Would you stick your foot into a gelatinous cube?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

anachrodragon posted:

3) Totally a minor nitpick, but does anyone else feel like some of his characters mannerisms have become less distinctive? I found myself getting annoyed when he would reuse the same phrases and verbal cues on multiple characters. Does everyone in his world really say "elsewise" and "you are not wrong" all the time? I don't know maybe this has been the case throughout the books, and I just didn't remember... It has been years since I read the previous books.

I must needs concur.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I came.

I think my biggest problem with Dance was the Harlequin Romance cookbook slashfic was toned down so much. What's the point of reading a GRRM novel if he's not painstakingly detailing food (and nipples).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

neongrey posted:

This just seems like dangerous advice to me. Would you stick your foot into a gelatinous cube?

That's not all I'd stick in a gelatinous cube.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I came.

I think my biggest problem with Dance was the Harlequin Romance cookbook slashfic was toned down so much. What's the point of reading a GRRM novel if he's not painstakingly detailing food (and nipples).

I remember getting to the part where Victarion pirated that boat full of prostitutes and he started in on describing SEVEN of them and I was like "oh poo poo here we go" then there was only like a sentence for each of them. The hell?

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I remember getting to the part where Victarion pirated that boat full of prostitutes and he started in on describing SEVEN of them and I was like "oh poo poo here we go" then there was only like a sentence for each of them. The hell?

I spontaneously achieved orgasm after the third girl, but maybe that was because I started thinking about Frey loving Pie.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

whowhatwhere posted:

"She did not know if he was in her or she in him."

Ghost Drogo really has to be all "the gently caress?" when he looks on the whore that Dany became.

ADwD: The book that made me hate someone more than Catelyn.

Ruffhauzer
Oct 16, 2011

"Dolorous Edd opened the salted barrel carefully, almost reverently. He knew he had discovered the best food in all of Westeros. Yes, this is why. This is why we made a bijillion-mile-tall wall of ice that doesn't protect us against poo poo. There were three flavors; one was sweet and savory, colored a mahogany brown and smelling of the rich dark humors of Sothoros. The next ribbon was pink and bright, tangy with the freshest strawing-berries of the Arbor. The last was kind of boring and creamy and white; it needed peanuts or hot-fudge or something. I'll give this one to Jon-Ghost, he shits everywhere anyway and vanilla is boring as hell."

.... a bowl of icecream and fire.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I ate a delicious shawarma today. Chicken and "beef", on a bed of lettuce and onions, sauced with hummus, garlic puree, and sesame sauce, wrapped in a warm pita. It was delicious.

You know, I never got around to making a Let's Cook! HBO's GoT Lemoncakes video. I have two recipes to film myself failing at now, I should really do that.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

mikey triumph posted:

"Dolorous Edd opened the salted barrel carefully, almost reverently. He knew he had discovered the best food in all of Westeros. Yes, this is why. This is why we made a bijillion-mile-tall wall of ice that doesn't protect us against poo poo. There were three flavors; one was sweet and savory, colored a mahogany brown and smelling of the rich dark humors of Sothoros. The next ribbon was pink and bright, tangy with the freshest strawing-berries of the Arbor. The last was kind of boring and creamy and white; it needed peanuts or hot-fudge or something. I'll give this one to Jon-Ghost, he shits everywhere anyway and vanilla is boring as hell."

.... a bowl of icecream and fire.

The man-wolf rumbled a growl and bent down to lap at the sweet crystallized milk in the bowl below, drizzled with warm elk blood.

"You know nothing, Jon-Ghost," said Edd with a wry smile as he gently stroked his friend's soft downy fur.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Far to few references to his own demise to be actual Dolorous Edd quotes.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Far to few references to his own demise to be actual Dolorous Edd quotes.

This WoW Dolorous Edd is alive with the burning glory of love, and feels optimistic for first time in his life, just a man and his dog-man lover.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Edit: double post, sorry, grrm is an absolutr fucker.

Ruffhauzer
Oct 16, 2011

Edd invented ice cream. He used to be kind of a downer but he's got a new lease on life now that Jon brings the newspaper in every morning.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Jon warged out of his body and into Dolorous Edd's heart

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

whowhatwhere posted:

Jon warged Dolorous Edd out of his body and into our hearts

:allears:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

A re-read of COK just reminded me that Hot Pie is the kid who said he kicked another kid in the balls so hard his junk turned black and he died. That dude owns.

I got side-kicked in the balls in college and one of my nuts turned black, I had to go get an ultrasound (sp?), it was pretty horrible.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

mikey triumph posted:

Edd invented ice cream. He used to be kind of a downer but he's got a new lease on life now that Jon brings the newspaper in every morning.

I can imagine what Dolorous does with peanut butter.

...and I am sorry for the mental image.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Fog Tripper posted:

I can imagine what Dolorous does with peanut butter.

...and I am sorry for the mental image.

He spread it on crisp brown toast, right from the toasting rack. Dripping with salty butter and smothered is the richest peanuty goodness he had a good and wholesome breakfast.

Then raped jon-wolf all afternoon long, 'Growls are wind, jon snow." he said as he came for the third time.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
Random prediction, but I think that the "waking dragons out of stone" part of the prophecy could be fulfilled if Babby Aegon contracts the stone disease from Connington and is subsequently healed by whomever (just kidding we all know it's Jon).

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
It was quite enjoyable to see Game of Thrones mentioned on the Onion News Network show a couple days ago. Tucker Hope wanted to "be the front half of Daenerys' dragon (the green one)" for Halloween.

Then he called Brooke Alvarez his khaleesi.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Ravus posted:

He spread it on crisp brown toast, right from the toasting rack. Dripping with salty butter and smothered is the richest peanuty goodness he had a good and wholesome breakfast.

Then raped jon-wolf all afternoon long, 'Growls are wind, jon snow." he said as he came for the third time.

I love all of you for this poo poo, each and every one of you. My dreams tonight will be sweet indeed, like candied locusts and sweet neep paste.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

okay so is it out yet

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

okay so is it out yet

gently caress you bro, just enjoy what little content we have so far of The Wargs of Winter. Never rush a master craftman, lest he write something as lovely as ADWD.

By the way BoT, when is Gregor Clegane, PI going to go to his colleague Hard Boiled Edd for assistance?

Varicose Brains
Apr 10, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

okay so is it out yet

Is it time to start moaning about the next book already?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Death By Chocolate posted:

Is it time to start moaning about the next book already?

I'm calling July 1, 2013 as the first real "the last one came out in 2011, back when Obama was president, TWO YEARS AGO" salvo.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

bigmcgaffney posted:

By the way BoT, when is Gregor Clegane, PI going to go to his colleague Hard Boiled Edd for assistance?

Well, if you'll recall from the last chapter, Clegane shared a drink with Jaime Lannister after senselessly beating a bartender to death, then left to go visit the High Septon.

I've read quite a bit more Dashiell Hammett since then, so I hope the series becomes more noirish than before.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

bigmcgaffney posted:

gently caress you bro, just enjoy what little content we have so far of The Wargs of Winter. Never rush a master craftman, lest he write something as lovely as ADWD.

Not far off the mark. I'd rather he take his time (risking not finishing due to death) than have him put out another adwd. I honestly am more concerned with the value of my signed 1st editions. :colbert:

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Fog Tripper posted:

I'd rather he take his time (risking not finishing due to death) than have him put out another adwd.

Dude, if he takes his time instead of rushing, he might run slap bang into the heat death of the universe.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
How long before DwD did the bitching start? So if we start bitching RIGHT NOW maybe we'll only have to wait that number of years for the next book.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I ate a delicious shawarma today. Chicken and "beef", on a bed of lettuce and onions, sauced with hummus, garlic puree, and sesame sauce, wrapped in a warm pita. It was delicious.

You know, I never got around to making a Let's Cook! HBO's GoT Lemoncakes video. I have two recipes to film myself failing at now, I should really do that.

I just made lemoncakes last week and meant to take pictures.

Sumptuous and moist lemoncakes the color of a summer sun, dusted by powdered sugar, the bright citrus flavor dissolving into bliss inside one's mouth. Their gooey, sugary sweetness reminded Dany of the semen now resting in her womb. "When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur. “When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves."

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Quantify! posted:

I had dumb opinions on stories for a long time, but when I wised up the stories became so much more rewarding because I can appreciate them on multiple levels. It's not just "Arya did some stuff," it's "Arya did some stuff, and changed as a person from who she was before," and when you get really into it it's "Arya did some stuff, changed as a person, and this reflects a general theme in the work of shifting identities and the search for self."
Surely no reader over the age of fifteen only sees the first level though? You don't need to 'try hard' or focus your thinking towards 'critical analysis' to see character development. I refute that.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Hey guys guess what, its the movie we've all been waiting for!

http://www.avclub.com/articles/film-version-of-george-rr-martins-wild-cards-in-th,64205/

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Proposition Joe posted:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/film-version-of-george-rr-martins-wild-cards-in-th,64205/

I'm going to get really mad if they change anything about the outfit worn by the character who fucks dead bodies as a way to steal the memories of the deceased.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Proposition Joe posted:

Woo! A SyFy original!

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Proposition Joe posted:

If Ron Perlman isn't in this I'll piss myself.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Proposition Joe posted:

A Uwe Boll Film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Maytag posted:

How long before DwD did the bitching start? So if we start bitching RIGHT NOW maybe we'll only have to wait that number of years for the next book.

Well the absolute fucker did say that ADWD would be out a year after AFFC. I think everyone now either doesn't expect there to be a next book or doesn't care after how lovely AFFC/ADWD were.