Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

For any Olympus owners out there, if speculation is true you may have funded the yakuza! :cool:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-10-24/olympus-scandal-mafia-allegations/3596556

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

East Lake posted:

For any Olympus owners out there, if speculation is true you may have funded the yakuza! :cool:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-10-24/olympus-scandal-mafia-allegations/3596556

This is on a pretty big scale, but in Asian countries, it is my belief that it is not uncommon to see this regularly. Just here in Taiwan I can give you a huge list of companies that regularly "pay their dues", so to speak.

In Taiwan, I have heard it referred to as "collecting the red envelope". A mayor for one of the largest cities got in deep poo poo for his ties with the mafia as well.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
"Former Olympus CEO Mysteriously Disappears During Fishing Trip"

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
$50 off PPA membership.

Code PPLUS11 at checkout. May only be valid for the next 4 days.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
The Lytro stuff just hit my facebook. People are convinced that a $500 camera that comes in 3 colors means the end of professional photography.

I can't wait for people to realize it's basically a camera that comes with instagram instead of a phone. But wait, it's got an HD LightField(tm) Sensor, so all of our SLRs are now useless.

We should pack it up.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Imagine if it's just a lens and sensor set to hyperfocal and the camera has tilt-shift simulation software onboard.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Don't get me wrong, an actual plenoptic camera would be awesome, but hailing a fake one with a blur filter on it isn't it.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I can't wait to see the faces of those people that buy the cameras as they stare into the 300x300px images that they produce

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
11 MEGA-RAYS

I'm a little fuzzy on the software side of things but I think I read it was for Mac only. I'm really curious if people have worked through the logic that all that fancy refocusing orc magic won't do gently caress-all on their John Doe Photography selective coloring and rotting baby facebook page.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
http://www.canonrumors.com/tech-articles/lens-genealogy/

I thought this article on lenses was neat to read. I doubt it will make you a better photographer, but it's inertesting anyway.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
What, now we're pooing on the Lytro. Where the hell were you guys on the last page?

Every now and then, some guy pops up and says "I liked this band before they sold out" and he's all smug and poo poo and I want to feed him cigarette butts when he falls asleep but no one will let me and then you assholes make ME feel like that. "I was hating before all o' ya"

I bet you guys are just hating because you can't afford one.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
:swoon:

Yeehaw McKickass
Dec 15, 2004

Helmacron posted:

I bet you guys are just hating because you can't afford one.

I use an old manual lightfield camera that I have to focus by placing my hand on the lens barrel.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

dunkman posted:

The Lytro stuff just hit my facebook. People are convinced that a $500 camera that comes in 3 colors means the end of professional photography.

I can't wait for people to realize it's basically a camera that comes with instagram instead of a phone. But wait, it's got an HD LightField(tm) Sensor, so all of our SLRs are now useless.

We should pack it up.

my girlfriend actually believes this. :suicide:

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
I still think that if Panasonic gets it's hands on the lytro then truly great things will be accomplished but then again I was enthusing at the lytro before adobe announced the anti-blur filter voodoo which could end up making it obsolete before it has a chance to get off the ground.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
The Lytro thing is a tech demo, certainly, but it's almost a rule that the first of any new type of product has to kind of suck. The technology will make its way into more serious cameras as time goes on, and this thing they're releasing is a point and shoot toy for people to play with while the company works on something worth buying.

Yeah, dumb people think that Lytro = end of pro photography, but dumb people think a lot of poo poo that isn't true. That's what makes them dumb. Dumb people also think DSLR = instant pro, and that's still not true, is it?

Wait, maybe they mean that Lytro will be the death of the "I just bought a DSLR, now I am a pro" photographer. That'd be kind of nice, actually.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yea it's great as a demo of what's to come. As of now the size of the end result is only suitable for the web, not even for a portfolio, just Facebook and the like. If they can get a hold of a digital large format sensor, then the resulting image will be more useful.

Yeehaw McKickass
Dec 15, 2004
I'm sure this has been discussed, but is it capable of 1:1? Also, can it be used in low light? Not the Lytro, mind you, just in theory.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Someone emailed me and wants me to add a photo of mine to this site: http://tobetter.us/

Does anyone know anything about this site or have ever heard of it? I like the idea of helping, but I want to know if it's legit.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Santa is strapped posted:

If they can get a hold of a digital large format sensor, then the resulting image will be more useful.
It's probably going to be a long time before you see anything prosumer grade. Just to get close a 10 mp image you would probably need at least 120 mp sensor, more being better. But then there are diffraction/resolution issues. You also have to remember that as the sensor increases in size your depth of field becomes more narrow, which is exactly what you need to avoid; so there is a size vs light gathering capability that you need to take into effect. As high iso ranges become better this will become less of an issue.

Yeehaw McKickass posted:

I'm sure this has been discussed, but is it capable of 1:1? Also, can it be used in low light? Not the Lytro, mind you, just in theory.
Theoretically, if your micro sensor size is small enough or you included an actual focus mechanism, you could achieve 1:1. In practice you wouldn't want either. The point of having a small micro sensor is so that you don't need a focus mechanism and having too small a sensor hurts image quality. Having an optional attachable close up lens should work though.
It should have excellent low light capabilities since each pixel is an average of multiple pixels.

TheLastManStanding fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 29, 2011

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I just wanted to say that I am so drat tired of people looking at my port, saying everything looks amazing and theyd like to book something, and then they want to meet and it's all "how oooold are you/how long have you even been doing this/geez, when did you graduate college?" :(

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

nonanone posted:

I just wanted to say that I am so drat tired of people looking at my port, saying everything looks amazing and theyd like to book something, and then they want to meet and it's all "how oooold are you/how long have you even been doing this/geez, when did you graduate college?" :(

You can overcome this but some people are going to immediately look down on you and it's hard. Check out Mike Kelly, he's like 21 and has charged low 5 digits for a shoot before (his work is fantastic).

http://mpkelley.com/

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
"I am *insert your wedding fee* old."

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Tell them how long you've been taking photos for along with your age. You could be 20, but if you've been taking photos since you were 12, chances are you know your way around a camera.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

You can overcome this but some people are going to immediately look down on you and it's hard. Check out Mike Kelly, he's like 21 and has charged low 5 digits for a shoot before (his work is fantastic).

http://mpkelley.com/

This is amazing. I would love to get into architectural photography but judging by the amount of postprocessing that woot fatigue does, if that's typical then it seem to border on madness. Seems like the sort of thing you have to want to do full time.

Of course nobody said it would be easy or a quick buck or anything. If it's worth doing it's worth doing right.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Martytoof posted:

This is amazing. I would love to get into architectural photography but judging by the amount of postprocessing that woot fatigue does, if that's typical then it seem to border on madness. Seems like the sort of thing you have to want to do full time.

Either that or buy a ton of speedlights and hide them all over the room for fill.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Or shoot on the surface of the sun.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

HPL posted:

Either that or buy a ton of speedlights and hide them all over the room for fill.

He has a video or two showing how he does everything, he uses (a single, I think) 580ii with pocket wizards, and goes around the room flashing objects he wants to be properly exposed/inserted into the main room shot. It's basically similar to how woot does it, in that it's a poo poo ton of properly exposed objects overlayed into the final work.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

As much as I said it's madness, I really want to try this at least once in my life. Just poopsock an image to perfection.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah, I do tell them how long I've been working, or say something light hearted like "oh thanks for the compliment" type thing, but its still pretty frustrating. Just one of those things I guess. Although there was that 12 year old awarded that big award too, now that's young.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

rear end is my canvas once suggested using nuclear weapons to do lighting for landscape shots.

i think this would be a stellar idea, a good fusion of studio & landscape work.

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007

nonanone posted:

Yeah, I do tell them how long I've been working, or say something light hearted like "oh thanks for the compliment" type thing, but its still pretty frustrating. Just one of those things I guess. Although there was that 12 year old awarded that big award too, now that's young.

It's really hard to criticise this kid without coming across as a bitter old grouch. If it's the same 12 year old then he got accepted into the royal photographic society. http://www.petapixel.com/2011/10/28/12-year-old-becomes-youngest-to-earn-royal-photographic-society-distinction/#more-39750

What the press is glossing over is that his parents bought him a very expensive camera with pro glass and sent him on a safari with guides and many many staged photo opportunities. Granted they are nice photos but in that environment you could give a chav a compact set on auto and they would get nice shots too. I may or may not think of him as a cocky little bastard who won the parent lottery.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

guidoanselmi posted:

nuclear weapons ... a good fusion

You are terrible.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Medusula posted:

It's really hard to criticise this kid without coming across as a bitter old grouch. If it's the same 12 year old then he got accepted into the royal photographic society. http://www.petapixel.com/2011/10/28/12-year-old-becomes-youngest-to-earn-royal-photographic-society-distinction/#more-39750

What the press is glossing over is that his parents bought him a very expensive camera with pro glass and sent him on a safari with guides and many many staged photo opportunities. Granted they are nice photos but in that environment you could give a chav a compact set on auto and they would get nice shots too. I may or may not think of him as a cocky little bastard who won the parent lottery.

I suppose, but it doesn't really have bearing on his work I guess, after all a 25 year old who bought a really expensive camera and went on a expensive safari who did the same thing wouldn't get that kind of criticism. Actually I guess a lot of trust-fund kids go traveling and do their travel photography work that way.

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
Thinking about it it's how two faced the press are being over this that really raises my hackles, the daily mail in particular. Take a sport like polo, dog showing or show jumping, the vast majority of 12 year olds who do this are rich kids and the press either ignores them or treats them like the devil, even if they are showing genuine talent, but when it's photography they didn't even ask the question "how can you afford to do this?" they didn't have to be mean to the kid about it, just raise the issue.

There are many talented young people who can't afford a dslr or photoshop (edit: a huge chunk of the daily mail readership btw) let alone this kind of opportunity, and are still producing great work with what they have, but they would never be allowed in the royal society because they didn't get to sit on the roof of a Jeep in Africa with a nice long zoom. The Mail should have asked young readers to submit their own work and done a follow up companion feel good piece and maybe given something away to the best ones, it's not like the mail is strapped for cash.

Medusula fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 2, 2011

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

nonanone posted:

You have to work on your delivery, but sometimes when I get asked how long I've been a photographer I tell them "a few hours". Most of the time they get a little wide eyed and are then eager for an explanation. I then talk about how photography is a series of moments that happen at fractions of a second, 1/500th of a second, so if I were to take all the actual time I actually "make" a photograph it would add up to a couple of minutes per year. Then I go on to talk about how the craft is learning to study light, and I actually spend more time processing images and setting up, ect. It's a great lead in. I stole the line from a photo podcast I heard a while ago. By the time you finish explaining it all, the client will just be blown away by your knowledge and passion.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Bryan Peterson leads off Understanding Exposure with an anecdote like that, too.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

That's really cute, I like it!

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

William T. Hornaday posted:

Bryan Peterson leads off Understanding Exposure with an anecdote like that, too.

That must be where I got it from, just wanted to be clear that I make no claim to ownership of the idea. The key though is to really practice it if you are going to go the cute quirky route. First couple of times, I fell flat, but got better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Sounds like you aren't spending enough time on post-processing. :colbert: