Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Maytag posted:

The jury's not out, Theon had his dick removed. Maybe stick to Harry Potter if you're having trouble discerning this.

Are you seriously getting all superior about reading A Song of Ice and Fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Nilbop posted:

Are you seriously getting all superior about reading A Song of Ice and Fire?

Well, compared to Harry Potter, you can definitely be superior about it.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Maytag posted:

The jury's not out, Theon had his dick removed. Maybe stick to Harry Potter if you're having trouble discerning this.

DICKIO REGROWIOUS

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

ADWD specifically said he had a finger flayed at one point.

The flaying goes all the way back to Storm of Swords actually. The mention of Theon being captured also includes a mention of a piece of his skin being given to Robb.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Party Plane Jones posted:

The flaying goes all the way back to Storm of Swords actually. The mention of Theon being captured also includes a mention of a piece of his skin being given to Robb.

What Robb never knew was that he was holding a piece of Theon's penis.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Azure_Horizon posted:

Well, compared to Harry Potter, you can definitely be superior about it.

Yeah you can read both without coming off as a bit of a wanker too.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

MikeJF posted:

Theon always wanted to be close to Robb...

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

MikeJF posted:

He knew. He had it sown into his smallclothes so they would never be separated again.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nilbop posted:

Yeah you can read both without coming off as a bit of a wanker too.

Oh I've read both, but seriously if you haven't figured out that Theon's dong is gone I don't know how to react other than scornful mockery.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Also there's absolutely no way you can read Harry Potter without coming off as a "wanker."

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I wonder. How do our UK Wildcards pronounce GRRM? I understand the RRs are silent, as in wanker or bastard.

GMMM

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I love HP, love ASOIAF, love football, Tim Tebow be circumcising filipino boys all day, love that poo poo, gently caress da jets, Theon in my heart got to represent

Halloweeeeeen my costume is Jon loving Snow got a wolfdick hangin out my trouser

Edd for Lyfe

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

IRQ posted:

Oh I've read both, but seriously if you haven't figured out that Theon's dong is gone I don't know how to react other than scornful mockery.

The REAL question is whether he still has his testicles.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Wild Cards getting a SyFy film is hilarious.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Theons got tesicles, I've seen them. :smug:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bigmcgaffney posted:

Theons got tesicles, I've seen them. :smug:

But are they attached?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

bigmcgaffney posted:

I love HP, love ASOIAF, love football, Tim Tebow be circumcising filipino boys all day, love that poo poo, gently caress da jets, Theon in my heart got to represent

Halloweeeeeen my costume is Jon loving Snow got a wolfdick hangin out my trouser

Edd for Lyfe
What the hell is this?

I want more.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
WildCard, high on GRRM's sweat.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Soulcleaver posted:

What the hell is this?

I want more.

Balls fuckin deep, Ty smiling from the hatch, PBR on flow.....

GRRM rises, Eli Manning tosses a pick, super bowl? More like raper bowl

And the poo poo flows from the rear end of a buxom dragon queen

Edit: Edd for Lyfe

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
Don't forget the blood, there was a lot of that too.

Edit: Edd for lyfe

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Question; does anyone have a link to somewhere where people have collected all the random subtle poo poo that no doubt flew entirely over my head from ADWD?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yes, every character is gay and also a secret targ. Except for Jon Snow. He's just gay. And dead.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Revenant Threshold posted:

Question; does anyone have a link to somewhere where people have collected all the random subtle poo poo that no doubt flew entirely over my head from ADWD?

You could read through the stuff at Tower of the Hand and/or Westeros.org but I'm not sure if that would be more or less painful than going through this thread. I don't know anyone that's really consolidated all the theories into one place.

Honestly RCarr isn't very far off, its mostly secret Targ poo poo, Aegon being the third dragon, Jon Snow is not dead and will warg or be razzed by Melisandre and is also TPTWP, and then stuff that's more obvious like Theon being dickless (literally) and Manderley serving Frey pies.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
I know some people like the little references that GRRM leaves for the super-dedicated fans that have re-read the series like 8 times, but it just annoys me because I can't believe I'm expected to remember something like the Rat Cook or Blackwood or Blackthorn or Blackfuck or whatever the hell that Jaime chapter was about, which were sort of important plot points.

It's not that I'm a poor reader who doesn't pick up on things like Renly and Loras' gayness or Theon's dicklessness (and I got that there was something super-suspicious about Manderly's behavior regarding the pies), but I've been reading this series since 1997 - do you know know how many re-reads would be required to keep all this poo poo fresh in my mind for 14 years? Would it kill this fat rear end in a top hat to refresh our memories sometimes with regards to small details like almost any other author does?

It's pretty obvious he slips obscure references in here and there to make his work seem more clever than it really is.

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 31, 2011

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I think it's a bit much to expect an author to pander to those who need refreshers every new book. There's nothing wrong with re-reads.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Azure_Horizon posted:

I think it's a bit much to expect an author to pander to those who need refreshers every new book. There's nothing wrong with re-reads.

And yet most of them seem to do it, perhaps assuming that most people have better poo poo to do than reread thousands of pages every time a new book comes out.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I don't expect a full recap. Just a a hint or whatever when he's talking about something as obscure as, oh, let's say, the Rat Cook.

I've done one re-read. This is sufficient for every other series I've ever followed because most other series don't have to have a 30 page glossary of character names and I don't usually have to wait this long between books.

How many re-reads would you recommend, though? Should I re-read the entire series every 5 years when a new book in the series comes out? Should I dedicate my life to ASOIAF?

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Well being one of the lucky ones around here not having to wait at all in between the last 5 books I'd say I wouldn't mind a couple for refreshers thrown in. So much happens it's pretty easy to forget about whats going on somewhere especially when it gets really boring.

Thankfully we have the internet though so when ever you may be confused or forget something there are plenty of resources at your disposal with out having to reread all the time if you don't want to.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

True. I found out all the things I missed immediately after reading it, so it wasn't a big deal, really.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, I don't particularly like reading all the books in a series over again when a new book comes out. That's impractical as hell for something with brief books, nevermind skull-crushing tomes. I have better things to do than read the same book over and over every few years just to refresh myself.

I'd rather read the same book cover to cover twice in a row because it's just too awesome to do anything else with. That's great writing.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yeah, I don't particularly like reading all the books in a series over again when a new book comes out. That's impractical as hell for something with brief books, nevermind skull-crushing tomes. I have better things to do than read the same book over and over every few years just to refresh myself.

I'd rather read the same book cover to cover twice in a row because it's just too awesome to do anything else with. That's great writing.

Then use the Internet.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Azure_Horizon posted:

Then use the Internet.
:dong:
Thanks for another great insight.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

I don't expect a full recap. Just a a hint or whatever when he's talking about something as obscure as, oh, let's say, the Rat Cook.

I've done one re-read. This is sufficient for every other series I've ever followed because most other series don't have to have a 30 page glossary of character names and I don't usually have to wait this long between books.

How many re-reads would you recommend, though? Should I re-read the entire series every 5 years when a new book in the series comes out? Should I dedicate my life to ASOIAF?

Never read Gene Wolfe.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

Then use the Internet.

Because I really want to hang out with a browser open while I read. That just sounds so fun.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
If George patiently explained every subtle thing you'd have far more readers bitching about how condescendingly he was treating the reader, and with much better reason.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Maybe this "complicated" series is not for you...

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Oh stop. I'm not saying it's too complicated for me to handle, just that there's a shitload to remember over many years. Mainly I'm just annoyed by how long this series has taken. Pretty sure that I wouldn't have started reading it at 21 if I knew I'd still be reading it at 35.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Kekekela posted:

:dong:
Thanks for another great insight.

Just a tad more interesting than complaining about subtleties one misses while reading ASOIAF.

Next book will feature Jon Connington masturbating to the idea of loving Aegon in the rear end in a top hat, just so people can actually know he's gay because it's so hard to figure this poo poo out.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Azure_Horizon posted:

Next book will feature Jon Connington masturbating to the idea of loving Aegon in the rear end in a top hat, just so people can actually know he's gay because it's so hard to figure this poo poo out.
Right because remembering two central characters from the previous book is the same as remembering one line of minutia from something released 12 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
No see expecting you to remember throwaway characters from books released years ago is subtle genius, guys, it's not bad writing at all.