Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
My mom has a relatively older laptop that she is wanting to get replaced. She is wanting something relatively small and is thinking about tablets as well. The main things she would do on it would be to store pics, facebook, random internet browsing, etc. What would be her best options? I think she is looking somewhere below $400.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
This is probably a long shot here, but after listening to some traditional Native American music, I was struck by a memory. When I was younger, like really young, under 10, we would go to rodeos down in Ocala, FL. There was a part during the show where a Native American would come out dressed in full chief garb, including the long feathered head dress and everything. He came out riding bareback on a beautiful paint horse that had war paint on its face. Something happened, like I guess he acted out riding into war while the announcer told the story, and the horse got shot. The horse would lay down and the chief laid beside the horse and put his head dress on the horse and said a prayer. It was absolutely beautiful.
I want to find more information on this, but my Google-fu is weak apparently. Searching "ocala rodeo native american/indian horse" or any combination of that isn't coming up with anything. If anyone has anything at all on this, please please let me know.
Thank you.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

maverick99 posted:

My mom has a relatively older laptop that she is wanting to get replaced. She is wanting something relatively small and is thinking about tablets as well. The main things she would do on it would be to store pics, facebook, random internet browsing, etc. What would be her best options? I think she is looking somewhere below $400.

Unless you're talking about a convertible tablet or she has a desktop that she uses often as her primary computer, I don't think a tablet is a good option if only for your first criteria of storing pictures. It's a lot easier to use something with a keyboard, SD slots and full-size USB ports when it comes to managing pictures.

But if she has a desktop already or plans to keep the old laptop as her primary, tablets do have a role that they fill. However, this depends on some questions: Does she read a lot, does she read a lot of websites, and does she have an e-reader already? For that matter, is she a heavy or particular internet browser or does she just read the same 5 websites every day? Tablets are good for reading articles on the internet, but not so good for browsing. Even the simple act of copying and pasting text into a search box is a test of patience.

In short, tablets aren't replacements for laptops or desktops, and netbook-type laptops aren't replacements for larger laptops or desktops. For $400, you might be able to purchase a combo that fulfills her requirements as well as the portability and gadget-lust issues.

Woot.com has had some sub-$300 refurbished dual core laptops. If you were to get one of those and then either a cheap tablet or internet-friendly e-reader, that would get you close to your budget target and fill practically any requirement.

Or, depending on how old her laptop is, you could get a tablet and then upgrade the laptop with an SSD drive, RAM, maybe a new processor, and an OS reinstallation. At this point, the SSD drive/Ram/Reinstall combo can be like buying a brand new laptop, especially if she's complaining about general sluggishness rather than trying to play WoW. And in a few years, she could put that SSD in a new laptop (most SSDs have 3 year warranties now).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My girlfriend tells me I snore, so I'm looking into ways to prevent that. I tried the breathe-right strips, but I guess it's more of something with my soft palate than my nose. I saw a commercial on TV for some sort of mouth guard thing that lifts your jaw a bit (as you're lying down). I've done this and noticed that it does help (especially now, with strep throat), but I'm a little concerned that it might cause orthodontic problems with prolonged use. Are my fears unfounded?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

maverick99 posted:

Used/refurb iPad for $300-350 or better yet save up another $100 and get an ipad2. Either will do all that perfectly. iPads are awesome for browsing websites and copying and pasting text into a search box is trivially easy. Pics, Facebook, email, games, etc. are easy peasy if you don't cheap out and buy a crap tablet.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

maverick99 posted:

You might also want to ask here.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
How likely is it that cockroaches would only poo poo in one small area and not others?

We're in a new (apparently) clean apartment. Twice over the past couple of weeks I found what looked like small black cracked pepper in the bottom bowl of a set of three white plastic nesting bowls sitting in the bottom of the pantry. I had washed them before putting them away.

The first time, I assumed it was just dust that might have fallen or something, but thought it was odd that it was only in the bottom and not the top bowl. I washed it out and put it back. This morning I found the "pepper" again and had a sinking feeling in my stomach, since I know some roach droppings look like black pepper. It doesn't smear when wiped up with a wet towel. I looked at all the other pots and pans on that bottom shelf and none of them appeared to have this stuff in them.

Does this sound like roaches? :( Haven't seen any bugs in the place except for a spider, and did the whole "opening the cupboard while the kitchen was dark at 6am" thing too.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

maverick99 posted:

I just (about two weeks ago) bought an Asus K53U laptop, and it's wonderful. 15.6" display (1366x768), 1.66GHz dual-core CPU, 4GB RAM, 640GB hard drive, DVD+/-RW, and great battery life. I routinely run Skyrim, Rift, and WOW on it, and have no trouble in Photoshop, Illustrator, or InDesign.

And I spent $379 before tax, without sales, discounts, or coupons.

Just FYI. :) (Lenovo and Acer also make comparable full-size laptops at about the same price.)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

A Game of Chess posted:

How likely is it that cockroaches would only poo poo in one small area and not others?

We're in a new (apparently) clean apartment. Twice over the past couple of weeks I found what looked like small black cracked pepper in the bottom bowl of a set of three white plastic nesting bowls sitting in the bottom of the pantry. I had washed them before putting them away.

The first time, I assumed it was just dust that might have fallen or something, but thought it was odd that it was only in the bottom and not the top bowl. I washed it out and put it back. This morning I found the "pepper" again and had a sinking feeling in my stomach, since I know some roach droppings look like black pepper. It doesn't smear when wiped up with a wet towel. I looked at all the other pots and pans on that bottom shelf and none of them appeared to have this stuff in them.

Does this sound like roaches? :( Haven't seen any bugs in the place except for a spider, and did the whole "opening the cupboard while the kitchen was dark at 6am" thing too.

Sure sounds like roaches. Set up a couple glue traps and find out for sure.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

FCKGW posted:

Sure sounds like roaches. Set up a couple glue traps and find out for sure.

I think that's what I'm going to do tonight. Just super frustrating because this is a brand new apartment (for us, anyway. Building is fairly new) that we've been keeping as spotlessly clean as possible, and we don't even leave food trash in the trash can overnight. It just goes right to the trash room.

... I just found more black specks in the little basket near the sink where we keep the sponge and dish soap. I'm going to cry.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

A Game of Chess posted:

I think that's what I'm going to do tonight. Just super frustrating because this is a brand new apartment (for us, anyway. Building is fairly new) that we've been keeping as spotlessly clean as possible, and we don't even leave food trash in the trash can overnight. It just goes right to the trash room.

... I just found more black specks in the little basket near the sink where we keep the sponge and dish soap. I'm going to cry.

Oh, it's not you, it's your neighbors. We had an apartment and by the first week we had noticed roach droppings. Turn out our neighbors were filthy creatures.

The roaches all left when we got a cat though :buddy:

Officeboy
Jun 27, 2006
I was thinking hard whether I should make a thread about it, since it pretty much involves everyone on the forums, but decided I shouldn't since its a pretty trivial subject.

Anyway, I've been curious, but just how many people who registered for the forums selected 'Porpoise' as their gender? And what did you pick?

Personally I picked porpoise because I thought it was funny, but then everyone had the same status, because I checked a bunch of random usernames and they also had Porpoise listed as their gender also.

I'm not really sure if the question has been asked already before, but I'm losing a little bit of sleep because the question somehow keeps popping up in my head.

Officeboy fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 9, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Officeboy posted:

Anyway, I've been curious, but just how many people who registered for the forums selected 'Porpoise' as their gender? And what did you pick?

Personally I picked porpoise because I thought it was funny, but then everyone had the same status, because I checked a bunch of random usernames and they also had Porpoise listed as their gender also.

I'm not really sure if the question has been asked already before, but I'm losing a little bit of sleep because the question somehow keeps popping up in my head.

"Porpoise" is the placeholder gender that you're assigned when you don't specify one.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

FCKGW posted:

The roaches all left when we got a cat though :buddy:

I've heard that this helps, but my boyfriend is allergic to cats. :(

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
In the UK we sometimes refer to earlier eras by the reigning monarch of that time, i.e. Elizabethan or Victorian period, how do Americans refer to the past, and what about other countries too?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crankit posted:

In the UK we sometimes refer to earlier eras by the reigning monarch of that time, i.e. Elizabethan or Victorian period, how do Americans refer to the past, and what about other countries too?

America largely defines history through its wars. Biggies are Revolutionary, Civil, WWI, WWII, Vietnam, Cold War, Gulf War, Present.

Slightly lesser known fillers are 1812, Spanish-American, and Korean.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I never thought about it that way but you're right. I would say our big eras are Post Cold-War, Cold War, WW2, Between the Wars, WW1, Between Civil War and WW1, Civil War, and then pretty much pre-Civil War. As baquerd said, there's some other ones in there; you could throw in Spanish American and 1812, but that's generally it as I would see it.

We don't use presidents at all, they aren't around long enough.

Edit: For example, a couple of very common descriptors you will see, for things from history to architecture to culture, are "Post-War" [referring to WW2] and "Antebellum" [referring to the Civil War].

Golbez fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 9, 2011

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Also "Reconstruction", "Civil rights era", "Gilded Age"

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

baquerd posted:

America largely defines history through its wars. Biggies are Revolutionary, Civil, WWI, WWII, Vietnam, Cold War, Gulf War, Present.

Slightly lesser known fillers are 1812, Spanish-American, and Korean.

At first, I thought you were making a joke until I realize it is, sadly, true.

Even words like antebellum and postbellum, most people probably don't automatically realize, refer to the Civil War. They used to be used in reference to all sorts of wars, but they've become so strongly associated with the American period that other antebellum eras are unheard of.

American historical periods that seem to not reference war can at least be said to relate the effects and aftermath of wars--The Space Age, Atomic Age, the Great Depression. The first two were about weapon research and the burgeoning cold war, and the latter was the aftermath of WWI.

War and weapons are so strongly associated with periods of American history that the 20 years before and during the Great Depression, when our military conflicts were relatively minor, we call this special time the Interwar Period or Interbellum. The period of no war was so unique to our history that it got its own name and the mere lack of large scale war was how the period was differentiated.

I suppose, however, the Information Age and the Digital Age seem to stand on their own as being unrelated to recent wars, unless you count social upheaval. That's a hopeful sign, I suppose, that we finally see the time in which we live as being defined by something other than international strife.

That's not to say that the wars we are in are minor, but that Americans are removed from involvement and news about the present wars that the conflicts are not seen as defining American progress.

Anyway, I'm not disagreeing with you, baquerd, but just reflecting to my own amazement how very right you are.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

A Game of Chess posted:

I've heard that this helps, but my boyfriend is allergic to cats. :(

Most people are allergic to cat dander. All you need is a cat without fur and boy are you in luck! I go between :barf: and :3: with Sphynx cats.

vv :argh: so much for sounding smart. I was close!

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 10, 2011

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.

2508084 posted:

Most people are allergic to cat dander. All you need is a cat without fur and boy are you in luck! I go between :barf: and :3: with Sphynx cats.

Hate to sound like a smarty pants, but most people are allergic to the stuff in cat saliva, which dries on the dander of their coat and skin. For that reason, those cats aren't actually hypoallergenic. The thought of inhaling cat saliva is pretty :barf:

Edit: Oh yeah, and those cats are just straight up adorable and nothing else. :colbert:

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

2508084 posted:

You can buy a prepaid visa. I'm sure you can mail them a check or money order

That's a great idea, thanks.

As for why, I'd rather not get into it as it's pretty hard to explain. I can assure you it's nothing interesting.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a reason I can't get Chrome to update to the 17.x beta? I'll download the installer from here and run it, but when I open Chrome again, it's running 15.0.874.121 m.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

hooah posted:

Is there a reason I can't get Chrome to update to the 17.x beta? I'll download the installer from here and run it, but when I open Chrome again, it's running 15.0.874.121 m.

First, I had to uninstall the Standard release to get the Dev channel to install properly.

Second, GTFO FileHippo. You can get the releases you want here: http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel (The 17.x fork is the dev channel; 16.x is beta, and 15.x is standard.)

Mr. Tetsuo
Jun 6, 2011

And just once, before I die, I'd like to be Supreme Overlord of Earth. So rebel, my little ones, and conquer the planet!
A SA newbie forum's question: what's the meaning of the shared image under some people's Avatar? Like Fighting Moongoses, Wook Wook, [h+], etc.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

ilikelettuce posted:

A SA newbie forum's question: what's the meaning of the shared image under some people's Avatar? Like Fighting Moongoses, Wook Wook, [h+], etc.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2188

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I looked through SAP, but didn't find one. Is there a "I have to take the GRE soon and want people to tell me what I'm in for" thread?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Crankit posted:

We use Victorian too. Some other ones that I don't think were mentioned that are used frequently:

Colonial period.
Prohibition era.
Depression era.
McCarthy era.
Eisenhower era.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Schweinhund posted:

We use Victorian too. Some other ones that I don't think were mentioned that are used frequently:

Colonial period.
Prohibition era.
Depression era.
McCarthy era.
Eisenhower era.

Decades are often used as epochs of a sort. Gay nineties, roaring twenties, etc.

e: forgot my own question. When you're flying, and the plane is getting ready to pull back from the gate, either the captain or someone on the flight crew tells the flight attendants to prepare the doors for takeoff and crosscheck. What is crosscheck exactly?

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 10, 2011

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

stubblyhead posted:

When you're flying, and the plane is getting ready to pull back from the gate, either the captain or someone on the flight crew tells the flight attendants to prepare the doors for takeoff and crosscheck. What is crosscheck exactly?

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/columnist/getline/2004-11-01-ask-the-captain_x.htm

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

JDanielS posted:

I looked through SAP, but didn't find one. Is there a "I have to take the GRE soon and want people to tell me what I'm in for" thread?

I really don't know if that could sustain a whole thread, although maybe it could be a section in the OP of the Grad School Admissions thread in SAL (the L is for Languages).

In any case, a general description of what the GRE is like/practice problems are pretty googlable, and you can ask specific questions in that thread I just linked.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Me and my girlfriend are having a debate - I sometimes go to the gym and run just 2 miles in 15 or 16 minutes and leave. She argues that I don't spend enough time working out - which is most likely true, BUT, she sometimes goes in and runs the same distance but in 25 or 30 minutes in a combination of running and walking and insists that she gets a better workout simply because she does it longer. Does she really get a better workout because she exerts herself for longer than I do?

This is probably a stupid question at its core, but if you think about it I feel like there could be a grain of truth in it.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

If I want to start a discussion forum for an organization I belong to (around 1000 members/potential users), where do I go to ask questions? Such as: What forum software? Where should I host it? Is there a free option like google groups that will let me log in separately from my email? What kind of work load will I be potentially taking on? I'm in the very early planning stages so really I have a million questions and I'd like to know where I can start reading. :)

edit for a more focused question:
What are some reasons why I should use a paid service as opposed to phpBB? It'll be a volunteer project and I'm pretty pessimistic about any budget.

greazeball fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 10, 2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Me and my girlfriend are having a debate - I sometimes go to the gym and run just 2 miles in 15 or 16 minutes and leave. She argues that I don't spend enough time working out - which is most likely true, BUT, she sometimes goes in and runs the same distance but in 25 or 30 minutes in a combination of running and walking and insists that she gets a better workout simply because she does it longer. Does she really get a better workout because she exerts herself for longer than I do?

This is probably a stupid question at its core, but if you think about it I feel like there could be a grain of truth in it.

It's a simplistic question because it's entirely dependent on your goals. Are you trying to lose weight, get faster, be able to run longer distances, or just obtain better cardiovascular health?

Simple answer is if she's going 10-15 minutes longer, but spending a lot of that time walking and running slower than you are, then no she's not really getting a better workout.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Makes sense, thanks. This got me wondering though, was there ever an a/t thread about being a flight attendant?

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
How can I get my blackberry to display phone numbers in the normal (XXX)XXX-XXXX format instead of XXXXXXXXXX ? It's so infuriating I'm thinking of going back to my 8 year old flip phone I just switched from.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
NY DMV question:

I tried to renew my insurance after a lapse, and then since I just got married, the insurance company can't renew it because my husband's license is suspended. Not only that, but it expired in November. The City of NY gave me 10 days to send them proof of insurance, so I have to send the insurance documents in by 12-13.

Can my husband go to any DMV and take care of all of this in 1 day? Will the DMV be able to give him the abstract/restoration letter that he took care of his suspension? How DO you take care of a suspension, anyway? And how does the expired license affect this? He can't take more than 1 day off of work.

This is just a mess, and any help would be great.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

greazeball posted:

If I want to start a discussion forum for an organization I belong to (around 1000 members/potential users), where do I go to ask questions? Such as: What forum software? Where should I host it? Is there a free option like google groups that will let me log in separately from my email? What kind of work load will I be potentially taking on? I'm in the very early planning stages so really I have a million questions and I'd like to know where I can start reading. :)

edit for a more focused question:
What are some reasons why I should use a paid service as opposed to phpBB? It'll be a volunteer project and I'm pretty pessimistic about any budget.

SHSC would probably be your best bet.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

I have mild scoliosis and a very squishy memory foam mattress. Sometimes when I get up my lower back hurts really bad, I get sciatica twinges and end up limping and stiff all day. I suspect it's because the center of the mattress is blown out and my butt ends up lower than the rest of me all night, like lying in a hammock. I am too poor to buy a new mattress, but I was wondering how easy it is to put together a comfy mat and maybe a featherbed and just sleep on the floor - I've always heard it's way better for your back, and it would potentially save me a lot of room space and money if I could just roll my bed up in the morning.

First of all:
Is it actually way better for you back? I've always heard this and sort of internalized it as given, but I realized I've never heard any real proof.

What's the best way to set it up?
Can you have sex? Will it cause bruises?
Can you sleep on your side?
Can I still get bedbugs?

help me sleep like my animes, goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

fuzzy_logic posted:

help me sleep like my animes, goons.
I sleep on a futon and my back's fine (mattresses make me a bit achy), but that has a fair bit more padding than even the comfiest mat. (About 2.5 inches thick.) They are insanely cheap and the frame usually lets you fold it into a chair or a sofa when you want it out of the way.

Of course you can have sex; you can have sex anywhere. Whoever you're having it with may complain though; some people really don't like futons. But quite a few don't like dented mattresses either, so win some lose some. Yes you can sleep on your side. I don't know about bedbugs but I imagine so; keep your bedding clean and use a frame to keep it off the floor.