Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

actionjackson posted:

I have a fan in my living room that's controlled by remote (there's no switch or cord). Several times when I wake up in the morning it is on, despite being off the night before. This has only happened at night. I'm totally clueless to how this is happening. Any idea for a possible explanation? :iiam:
Do you know what kind of remote it is? If it's infrared and poorly designed, it could be receiving interference from any nearby sources (TV remote, fluorescent lights, etc.), though this is unlikely unless the designers are terrible. If it's an RF remote, it may be on a common frequency like garage door openers or whatever, which can easily pick up interference from all kinds of crap (microwaves, actual garage door openers, etc.).

Or sleepwalking actionjackson gets warm, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Wagonburner posted:

Don't ever sleep in the living room then unless you have it unplugged, you could die.

Very appropriate avatar for the situation!

Trapick posted:

Do you know what kind of remote it is? If it's infrared and poorly designed, it could be receiving interference from any nearby sources (TV remote, fluorescent lights, etc.), though this is unlikely unless the designers are terrible. If it's an RF remote, it may be on a common frequency like garage door openers or whatever, which can easily pick up interference from all kinds of crap (microwaves, actual garage door openers, etc.).

Or sleepwalking actionjackson gets warm, I guess.

Not sure, it does have a red light than flashes when you press a button on it, if that helps. Also not sure why it would always turn on the low fan speed when there are three speeds on the remote, plus the light switch.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
If i use a 12V DC output plug with a 7.5V DC powered sign, what will happen? It "works" but will it heat up or something?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

the posted:

If i use a 12V DC output plug with a 7.5V DC powered sign, what will happen? It "works" but will it heat up or something?

So you have an AC adapter that outputs 12VDC and a device that wants 7.5VDC? It's ok to have more amps, as they are drawn and not delivered, but voltage is a difference in potential between the two conductors and that's what you're going to get. Most devices have a pretty good tolerance for these kinds of things, but that's a pretty big jump and your device might get damaged.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Generally, giving something the wrong amount of voltage is Not Okay. (Look for tolerances on stickers for complicated devices, like computers or power bricks. These can often take a wider range than you'd expect, because they're designed to work in different countries with different socket power.)

It's a powered sign, you say? What does the power do; just light up some lights? If they're incandescent (not LEDs), they'll run brighter and hotter and burn out quicker. If they're LEDs, uh, same thing, except they've got a better chance of just breaking the first time you plug something in. If there's a motor, you could burn that out.

Or nothing bad at all could happen. Sometimes things are built with weird tolerances. :iiam:

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

actionjackson posted:

I have a fan in my living room that's controlled by remote (there's no switch or cord). Several times when I wake up in the morning it is on, despite being off the night before. This has only happened at night. I'm totally clueless to how this is happening. Any idea for a possible explanation? :iiam:

All wireless fans I have seen had an RF receiver inside the housing. It's probably being flaky and either fluctuations in the power supply, other RF transmitters, or temperature changes set it off. Replacements are ca. $20-$50 at Home Depot.

quote:

Most likely going to die sooner than it should. If you need the sign on RIGHT NOW you can buy a matching adapter at Radioshack.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

actionjackson posted:

Are you in an apartment complex/townhome/duplex etc.? I had the same thing happen, and it turned out that the fan was set to the same frequency as someone who lived nearby. The builders must have been putting in the same stuff at every house and not bothering to change the frequencies for them. In much the same way, it could be that a neighbor likes having the fan on at night and is switching yours on at the same time.

The receiver is, as others have mentioned, usually in the bell housing that connects the fan to the ceiling. Open it up and you'll usually find something with dip switches to change the "channel." Do the same thing for your remote and see if that isn't the problem.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Xandu posted:

I'm sure your trainer would appreciate the money over a restaurant gift certificate. It is a bit impersonal, but it's also a business relationship, even if you are friendly.

Money has no sentimental value. Find out what the person you are giving the gift to likes and build off of that. They like basketball and have a son? Buy two tickets to their favorite team. Do they buy a lot of coffee? Get them a coffee shop gift card.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

the posted:

You might lose the jack. My nephew tried this on an old keyboard I have and he got smoke, so I told him to unplug it and use batteries. We got the right size and put the five batteries the keyboard required and the keyboard works. I haven't tried a 7.5V DC output on the keyboard yet to see if the jack is indeed busted.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
Does anyone know a good way to send letters and packages from the US to the Philippines?

Usually letters that I send have about a 50/50 shot of actually arriving. Also the USPS charges about $180 to send a 20 pound package, which I'd really prefer to have arrive rather than go missing.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
So what's the best "Autonomous robot vacuum cleaner" like Roomba? Are some easier or more reliable or more effective? Or are they all the same?

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

SIHappiness posted:

Are you in an apartment complex/townhome/duplex etc.? I had the same thing happen, and it turned out that the fan was set to the same frequency as someone who lived nearby. The builders must have been putting in the same stuff at every house and not bothering to change the frequencies for them. In much the same way, it could be that a neighbor likes having the fan on at night and is switching yours on at the same time.

The receiver is, as others have mentioned, usually in the bell housing that connects the fan to the ceiling. Open it up and you'll usually find something with dip switches to change the "channel." Do the same thing for your remote and see if that isn't the problem.

You didn't happen to go to OU, did you? I lived in a complex with this exact problem. Except I would get drunk and turn other people's fans on and watch their confusion from afar.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Initio posted:

Does anyone know a good way to send letters and packages from the US to the Philippines?

Usually letters that I send have about a 50/50 shot of actually arriving. Also the USPS charges about $180 to send a 20 pound package, which I'd really prefer to have arrive rather than go missing.

Well you can use UPS or FedEx,but those would both charge well over $300 to ship 20 pounds to the Phillipines.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I remember a photo essay in Adbusters magazine that was portraits of kids watching TV. They were all dazed and numb and it was really quite sad. I can't remember the name of it or the photographer and googling gives a bunch of hand-wringing warnings to parents or images of happy families bathed in the tube's warm glowing glowy glow.

Does anyone else remember this?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
I think it's actually a video you're thinking of if it's what I'm thinking of. It's called "Evidence" and it's by Godfrey Reggio of Koyaanisqatsi fame.

edit: Linky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuI_nCADnW0

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 17, 2011

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Where can I buy Captain Hammer or Serious Sam T-shirts? Seems easy enough, but I have some requirements that I haven't seen met:

1: Actually looks like the shirt Capt Hammer and Sam wear. Ie: Grey and white respectively. The logo looks right, which most of the Captain Hammer shirts don't.

2: It has a slim fit, not baggy American style. For a print shirt, I'm probably looking at American Apparel.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Dominoes posted:

Where can I buy Captain Hammer or Serious Sam T-shirts? Seems easy enough, but I have some requirements that I haven't seen met:

1: Actually looks like the shirt Capt Hammer and Sam wear. Ie: Grey and white respectively. The logo looks right, which most of the Captain Hammer shirts don't.

2: It has a slim fit, not baggy American style. For a print shirt, I'm probably looking at American Apparel.
You can get the Hammer shirt directly from the doctor horrible e-shop http://drhorrible.shop.bravadousa.com/

Here's a cafepress shop selling serious sam stuff http://www.cafepress.com/seriously it says it is the official shop but I don't know if that's true.

I have a question: Is there a website where you can plug in your address and it'll give you all your government representatives, from the Federal down to the State and local level, including their contact information? I'm sick of having to go to several different sites when I want to write my representatives about something (yesterday I called 911 and no one answered, I am pissed about this)

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 17, 2011

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SIHappiness posted:

Yes I'm in a condo. I'll look into that, thanks.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Jeffrey Colon posted:

You didn't happen to go to OU, did you? I lived in a complex with this exact problem. Except I would get drunk and turn other people's fans on and watch their confusion from afar.

Nope, but many of Home Depot's house-brand fans use wireless remotes because it allows both fan and light function even if two separate switches and lines weren't originally pulled. I've gotta figure this is pretty common in higher density housing anywhere.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I think it's actually a video you're thinking of if it's what I'm thinking of. It's called "Evidence" and it's by Godfrey Reggio of Koyaanisqatsi fame.

edit: Linky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuI_nCADnW0

Thanks, this is good and I can probably use it, but I'm sure about the photography. There was flourescent lighting and hospital-green/pale colour backgrounds, maybe that will jar someone's memory. I think it was around 2 years ago that I saw it.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I stumbled across ad for an exercise regimen that promises you six-pack abs in a short time. It feels very bullshit to me. In his presentation video, this guy spends an ungodly of time hyping his product before actually talking about what it is. This is not the first ad page of this kind I've come across. I once encountered a similar site advertising a weight loss regime fronted by some other guy but following pretty much the same style and format. Are these guys copying each other's technique? Or are these products from the same company? Is this style of sales pitching effective on some people (it turned me off)?

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 18, 2011

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

I stumbled across ad for an exercise regimen that promises you six-pack abs in a short time. It feels very bullshit to me. In his presentation video, this guy spends an ungodly of time hyping his product before actually talking about what it is. This is not the first ad page of this kind I've come across. I once encountered a similar site advertising a weight loss regime fronted by some other guy but following pretty much the same style and format. Are these guys copying each other's technique? Or are these products from the same company? Is this style of sales pitching effective on some people (it turned me off)?

This is what's called a "squeeze page" due to both the layout (all info squeezed in one long column) and the ability to squeeze your wallet. It's very, very common for affiliate marketing websites and very effective in selling a product.

The other style you commonly see that works well on conversions are those fake news websites.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

FCKGW posted:

This is what's called a "squeeze page" due to both the layout (all info squeezed in one long column) and the ability to squeeze your wallet. It's very, very common for affiliate marketing websites and very effective in selling a product.

The other style you commonly see that works well on conversions are those fake news websites.

It's not a real squeeze page, though, it doesn't have any yellow highlighter or red text (except that one word in the title graphic). :colbert:

But yeah, pretty much. They're really common and basically are going for volume of pageviews over quality of viewers. As you might guess, this kind of advertising is really annoying for 99.5% of people, but that 0.5% who say "oh, this guy's writing long, he must know what he's talking about" is plenty.

(Which is sad, because he's not even on the first page for "six-pack" or "six-pack abs". He's right up at the top for "six-pack shortcuts", though! :v:)

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Aside from the fact that I ignore ad sites in general, I also have ADHD and have little patience for people who are not concise and to-the-point. But if this is a common pattern, I guess there are plenty of suckers out there. Maybe the long-winded introduction helps cover up the fact that the exercises offered are neither substantial nor groundbreaking.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Why does the General from those car insurance commercials have a penguin?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

stubblyhead posted:

Why does the General from those car insurance commercials have a penguin?
Im going to give my uneducated guess: Marketing. That random penguin got you to remember what the commercial was about and the name of the company.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
About 5 weeks ago, there was an artist by the name of Leslie McClaine who finished a large Batman poster collage thing called "Mayhem at the Manor" and I bought one for $55 (along with many other people). This website is https://www.evilspacerobot.com and look at it now, it's a random online pharmaceutical store.

What happened? Should I contact PayPal immediately and ask for a refund? Was McClaine served with a lawsuit for selling this art? I don't know what happened.

Please google Mayhem at the Manor along with Leslie McClaine to find some stories and blogs about the completion of the art. I haven't seen anyone yet express any worry about being scammed or not receiving anything.

EDIT: Okay. I was able to reach the real website through the link in this post, ironically enough. There's an explanation. I still haven't received word about shipping, so I'll contact the artist. I'm a little relieved. I was using google because I forgot the name of the site.

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 18, 2011

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Dudebro posted:

About 5 weeks ago, there was an artist by the name of Leslie McClaine who finished a large Batman poster collage thing called "Mayhem at the Manor" and I bought one for $55 (along with many other people). This website is https://www.evilspacerobot.com and look at it now, it's a random online pharmaceutical store.

What happened? Should I contact PayPal immediately and ask for a refund? Was McClaine served with a lawsuit for selling this art? I don't know what happened.

Please google Mayhem at the Manor along with Leslie McClaine to find some stories and blogs about the completion of the art. I haven't seen anyone yet express any worry about being scammed or not receiving anything.

I clicked on your link and got the correct site with a story at the top about the hacking.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
The other day I was walking down a closed railway line which is now a footpath, after about a mile I saw a leg from what I think was a deer at the side of the path, this scared me a little because I don't know what kind of animal can pull the leg off a deer, or what kind of threat it poses to me, a person.
I'm in the UK what animal(s) could do this, and would I be safe from them, and could I [legally and/or realistically] defend myself with a penknife against the beast?

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
In the UK? Probably a stray dog and an already-dead deer.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Randomity posted:

In the UK? Probably a stray dog and an already-dead deer.
Or poachers. I know one guy who's convinced the occasional big cat sighting means there are breeding populations in the UK, but if that's true they've avoided the gently caress out of humans for decades, they're not going to start by trying to eat you.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Anyone know anything about this painting?

I have been cleaning out house a friend of mine bought at auction, turns out the now deceased previous owner was a bit of a artist and collector. I though he may have painted it but my wife and I were just watching a episode of Twin Peaks where this painting was on a wall with a few others that looked like they could have been part of a series.

Was it popular or just some crap you could find at a department store back in the 80's/90's?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
From this it looks like it was part of one of those paint by numbers kits.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Thanks! That was fast.

There were a ton of paintings and art projects in the attic but most were destroyed because the they were in the loving attic.. I guess his surviving partner covered the house in Swarovski crystal figurenes after he died, there were 40-50 empty Swaroski boxes laying on top of the paintings.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

evilnissan posted:

Thanks! That was fast.

What are you planning on doing with it? It's kind of creepy/cool.

MiracleToaster
Dec 21, 2005
wonderbread
Does anyone know where I can buy Milk Chocolate + Sea Salt bars or bonbons anywhere near Seattle or online?

I do not want Dark Chocolate + Sea Salt, which seems to be the only thing I can find online.

Without almonds would be preferred, but if that's all I can get, that's all I can get :mad:

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
A very very very very kind friend at work gave me her mink stole and I'm trying to find out more information about it. It appears to be very old, it's brown mink fur, hand-sewn, with a large tag sewn into it that says WELLS-TREISTER NEW YORK.
Googling Wells-Treister alone comes up with not a lot of results, but a few seem to point that whoever this Wells-Treister was was a famous fur collector.
So now I'm wondering if this fur is worth a lot of money.
My Google-fu is so horribly weak. Can anyone else find me some more information about Wells-Treister?

e: actually I just found out it's not mink, it's rabbit.

copy of a fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 19, 2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
It's a fur clothing company. It appears to have gone out of business in the 1960s, judging by the lack of newspaper results past 1966. Doesn't seem to have been that notable. You could try selling it, but the only auctions I can find are pretty low.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Where would I find the picture of the real life brony meetup that has been the source for a lot of the avatars I see around? I need to assuage a hunch I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

take_it_slow posted:

Where would I find the picture of the real life brony meetup that has been the source for a lot of the avatars I see around? I need to assuage a hunch I have.

By doing a GIS for brony meetup?