Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jefinabox
Jun 26, 2007
Woop Woop! Full set of series 6 now! Only a few from series 5 to get and I'll have them all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Zeether posted:

The oldest set I have is this incomplete monorail from the old Space line that I should go about looking for the parts for. The battery box and motor still work.

Haha, which one? There were two space monorail sets (in addition to the City Airport monorail shuttle set).

Unfortunately all these sets use the infamous 9V battery to power the monorail train so it lasts about 30 minutes before it's out of juice :(. I hate those small 9V batteries!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
My mom got me the Black Pearl boat for christmas but I returned it today. I'm going to get a smaller set and use the extra money for some things I need around the house. drat being an adult, I really wanted to tear into that boat. I still have my Barracuda to satisfy my lego boat needs though!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Speaking of the new topic, the latest Lego catalog came Saturday, and they've got 4 pages on Lego Friends. It mentions six new colors: medium lavender, lavender, yellowish green, dark azur, medium azur, and aqua. The price/piece ratios are all decent. The 5 'main' characters each get their own $10 miniset between 64 and 87 pieces (one of which is the inventor workshop). The only male in the line is in the $70 house. We also get 2 new dog molds, a new horse mold, a new cat mold, a bird, a rabbit, and a hedgehog.

You may be able to make some money buying these sets and selling the new colors (and pieces in colors they haven't seen before) on Bricklink to AFOLs who would prefer not to buy the sets.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

So I got an Emerald Night set for Christmas. :toot: I also dug out some of my old 9V track. Is there track in the LDD? I want to know what kind of layouts I can make with the track I have. I have 34 curved tracks, 10 straight, and 2 switches.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
This Millennium Falcon set is easily the biggest I've ever built. I've never seen a set that splits sections into numbered bags, though there's still 2-3 bags per section. I've always wondered why that wasn't done more. I'm through bags 1 and 2, and have most of the base built. Time for a break for food and beer. And possibly to watch the game tonight.

I love the minifigs so much.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Frozen-Solid posted:

This Millennium Falcon set is easily the biggest I've ever built. I've never seen a set that splits sections into numbered bags, though there's still 2-3 bags per section. I've always wondered why that wasn't done more. I'm through bags 1 and 2, and have most of the base built. Time for a break for food and beer. And possibly to watch the game tonight.

I love the minifigs so much.

Some of the big sets are numbered, others not for some reason. I finished building the VW Camper van and the Ven Class Cruiser, not small sets in themselves, and they didn't have numbered bags

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Crosspost from the 3DS thread in Games: I have a history of using Lego to jerry-rig functionality. Like the iPod car dock I used for years in my old POS Dodge Colt.

I got Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario Land 3D for Christmas, so I finally have a real reason to play my release-date purchased 3DS. They're awesome games, but there's a major problem: my hands cramp up real bad playing this, especially Mario Kart. This system is poorly designed for adult hands like myself. The controls are small and close to the edge of the device. This causes for pain when trying to grip the system.

Unsatisfied with the selection of cases and silicon grips out there (and due to the fact that I'm waiting to buy the Circle Pad addition), I made my own grip out of Lego.

The quarter round bricks at the end create the perfect rounded grips I need. Together with the four corner bricks, the 3DS fits into this thing exactly, to the point where if I lift up the 3DS while its inside the grip, it 'grips' to the device without sliding off. And I used 2x1 grill bricks for an added texture grip for the bottom base.

I'm testing it with Mario Kart now, and while I don't know if the added bulk at the bottom is a benefit, the gray bumpers on the sides are perfect. Now I can grip the system the way I need to without pain.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

evilbastard posted:

Here in Australia, I'm torn - Myer and David Jones both have 30% off all Lego stock.

One store has the 8110 Technic Unimog on sale for the next two weeks for AU$230 (RRP AU$329), and another has the 8043 Motorized Excavator on sale for today for $244 (RRP AU$349)

Or I can order out of Amazon US via a US Re-shipper and land them here for US$239 / US$229 respectively, including freight.

Do I just walk in and buy them today, or wait and hope they go on sale in the US. Decisions Decisions.

Holy crap, $230 for a Unimog!?. Where did you see this deal?. I just checked their sites and my email but there's nothing so far.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I've had that backhoe together since about 1992. I don't build a lot of Technic, so it never really occurred to me to take it apart. I think I rebuilt it once just for fun, but it's never been taken apart for any actual length of time.
You know what, I just liked those old style Technic bricks that are just like regular long bricks but with holes in them for axles or whatever so much better than the beams and whatnot that they use in Technic sets nowadays. It's what's been keeping me from getting back into buying Technic sets and parts and therefore, in my case, Lego in general :( Is it even possible to buy these still (Technic bricks with holes in them, and in all the requisite shapes/lengths/colors/whathaveyou, at that), for instance as just bags of bricks or whatever i.e. even if it doesn't come in the form of sets, or is it all beams and special connector parts now?

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

PrBacterio posted:

You know what, I just liked those old style Technic bricks that are just like regular long bricks but with holes in them for axles or whatever so much better than the beams and whatnot that they use in Technic sets nowadays. It's what's been keeping me from getting back into buying Technic sets and parts and therefore, in my case, Lego in general :( Is it even possible to buy these still (Technic bricks with holes in them, and in all the requisite shapes/lengths/colors/whathaveyou, at that), for instance as just bags of bricks or whatever i.e. even if it doesn't come in the form of sets, or is it all beams and special connector parts now?

Actual Technic sets are almost entirely beams nowadays, but all the bricks are still made, and are used in regular sets for structure a lot more than they once were. Every size they've ever made is still in use AFAIK.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

psyman posted:

Holy crap, $230 for a Unimog!?. Where did you see this deal?. I just checked their sites and my email but there's nothing so far.

David Jones, Level 6, Elizabeth Street Store, Sydney City, They had about 8 on the shelf yesterday (Monday) at midday. The signs said it was on sale to January 2nd.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Technic went through a "completely studless" phase, but they are back to including studded parts and some standard Lego parts in them. The base construction on all modern Technic sets is studless, though.

Found my first deeply discounted Lego sets in over two years!

A Walmart in Vermont had "7307 Flying Mummy Attack" on sale for $7, so I cleared out the shelf. Just built one, and it's a fun little set: the biplane is cute and well designed, and the flying mummies are kind of cool.

Also found stacks of Prince of Persia at a TJ Maxx, but the prices were lame (like $30 for a $40 set).

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

PrBacterio posted:

studded vs studless
bricklink will always be your best bet for parts, the most recent technic set I got that had studded in it was the mobile crane 8053 it used fairly well with studdless

I use a lot of studded for 'model team' style sets where I am going for accuracy instead of function but if I am trying to build something remote controled I tend to go for studless and reinforce it with studded if necessary. Studless building is a hell of a lot harder though and its a bitch to plan for I end up pulling things apart a half dozen times to get it right compared to regular building.

Studded building you have to make it work out to even numbers, studless always seems to end up odd numbers.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
A good haul this christmas. A relative got me the Lego Book, wife got me the Emerald Night and Medieval Market Village, and just picked up the post office on sale at the Lego Store.
Did use the free PAB box that came with the market village, wasn't a great selection on the PAB wall.
Wife is currently assembling the Queen Anne's Revenge she got.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
Almost all Kingdoms sets have disappeared in Ottawa. I showed up early for the 50% off sale at Toys R Us, and nothing was left. I wound up driving around everywhere with the GF shopping for normal people stuff like shoes and such, but checked in to places like Zellers and another Toys R Us across town and got nothing.

It's a sad day.

I bought an alien tripod to cheer myself up because everyone in this thread wouldn't stop talking about it and I wanted a brain slug.

I also bought a used bookcase (14$, cost less than the tripod) to showcase my works.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Note to self. Stay off Bricklink...
Just ordered the Grand Emporium and Burj Kalifa from some guy in Spain. Even with the shipping costs the total price is less than what I would pay for the Emporium here in Romania.
Why oh why will Lego Shop not ship here:(

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock
I bought for me and for and my son a couple of sets almost a month ago, via Bricklink, from Germany. I went to the local customs/international mail center to pick them up last Monday. Great chance and price.

We ceremoniously and officially handed them over to each other on Christmas.

For myself, being the city/town freak I am, I got the farm from 2009. I just assembled it with my girlfriend (and in fact she turned into a little girl while we were building it saying "I build! I build!", taking pieces off my hands). Nice and fun set. And it includes cows! :neckbeard:

Now, my son got the Titanium Command Rig from the Power Miners saga. I got it at a great price for a discontinued set (also, at 1/4th the local asking price). That thing is an absolute beast and full of functions! He took five hours to build it and was awesome to complement the rest of the PM sets he has, like the Crystal Sweeper.

I spent almost 250 USD between the farm, the Rig and some assorted pieces, but all in all, excellent value.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
My little brother convinced my dad to get one of the modulars, and after much deliberating, the Firehouse was decided on. In addition, the kid is trying to get me to rebuild Fort Legoredo, and it's already a nightmare sifting through the unsorted pieces.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

memy posted:

My little brother convinced my dad to get one of the modulars, and after much deliberating, the Firehouse was decided on. In addition, the kid is trying to get me to rebuild Fort Legoredo, and it's already a nightmare sifting through the unsorted pieces.
I finished building the Firehouse a few days ago. Not a bad little set (although my current fave build is the VW camper van, seriously, check it out!).

As for the fort, tell him to go fishing for parts, just so he knows your pain.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Jut posted:

I finished building the Firehouse a few days ago. Not a bad little set (although my current fave build is the VW camper van, seriously, check it out!).

As for the fort, tell him to go fishing for parts, just so he knows your pain.

He is helping, but it's slow going. As for the Camper Van, the local Lego store was sold out.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

CADPAT posted:

Almost all Kingdoms sets have disappeared in Ottawa.

Glad I stayed in today then, I was gonna head to st laurent and see what they had but my body was being evil.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Millennium Falcon complete! :dance:

It had lots of really awesome new pieces I haven't seen before, one of the most original and awesome ways to make a satellite dish, great minifigs, and it was really fun to put together. :3:

Doguts
Jan 13, 2005

Makes my shadow grow.
I bought the Millennium Falcon as an early birthday present for myself, then I went on a month long trip with the intention of building it once I got back.
When I got home my nephew had already built it for me. :(

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Doguts posted:

I bought the Millennium Falcon as an early birthday present for myself, then I went on a month long trip with the intention of building it once I got back.
When I got home my nephew had already built it for me. :(

I hope you made him dismantle it so you could build it.

Doguts
Jan 13, 2005

Makes my shadow grow.
If I did. He'd just dismantle it half arsed.
At least he let me build The Black Pearl I got for X-mas.

Doguts fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 27, 2011

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Frozen-Solid posted:

Millennium Falcon complete! :dance:

It had lots of really awesome new pieces I haven't seen before, one of the most original and awesome ways to make a satellite dish, great minifigs, and it was really fun to put together. :3:

This is awesome, but I still love my "10 pieces and done" 90's Falcon.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is awesome, but I still love my "10 pieces and done" 90's Falcon.

The micro-scale falcon is pretty awesome too, have that on my desk right now.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Frozen-Solid posted:

What's so unusual about the satellite dish?

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Dunno if it's unusual, but the way its hinged/rotates is interesting.

I like the turrets, too. I've had a minifig scale freighter/assault ship idea bouncing half formed around my head for awhile and I'll probably steal a lot of what I learned building the falcon for it, including those turrets.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Zonko_T.M. posted:

The dish itself isn't unusual, but as Torael said the actual hinges are really cool.

The dish gets mounted on a spinner, and due to the hinge setup it's got a very wide range of movement.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

It's basically a neat use of those dumb battle droid arms. :v:

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
hey canadians buy one get one free at archambault http://www.archambault.ca/qmi/navigation/catalog/category.jsp?lang=en&navAction=jump&id=cat1310380& and free shipping over $40

I couldn't resist and picked up queen annes revenge and the black pearl.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Jut posted:

Just finished building the VW camper van. This is a drat good build. Technic pieces are kept to a minimum and there are some interesting build techniques used.
Well worth a buy if you're looking for a large, interesting model to build.

There are still a few sets that I really want, but unfortunately being stuck out in Romania sucks with regards to getting sets at a decent price. Everything is priced £20 more than it would cost in the UK (the larger sets that is), Amazon's postage is extortionate, and lego store don't ship here. :(

I guess it's back to sorting my buckets again

I've been thinking of getting this so yesterday after work I drove over to Toys R Us to see if they had it. They did not... First time I've been in a Toys R Us in years and I forgot how lackluster it now is compared to how it was when I was 9-14 years old. Hell, the Lego selection was even more limited than maybe 5 years ago when i went to there to buy the Ferrari F430 Spider model. All they seemed to have was Cars 2, Star Wars, Pharoh's Quest, Dino, and a few City sets. No Technic, no Creator, no Castles, no non-Star Wars space sets... Some dad was buying a fairly big Star Wars set for his kid and I wanted to tell him "no, put that back and get your son the Space Police Galactic Mediator or the Ice Planet Deep Freeze Defender"

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
My first AFOL Christmas, and it was pretty cool. My girlfriend got me that snake helicopter thing that just came out, which is interesting looking, and the Atlantis drill-submarine. Among non-Lego stuff, I got her the Creator log cabin. Would've gotten her something bigger, but we set ourselves a relatively low price limit, and I'd already bought some stuff. I think she might have cheated a bit on it, though.

I didn't really want to ask my parents for anything this year, now that I'm done sponging off them for everything, but they insisted that they get me something besides books, and they wanted to know what to buy my girlfriend too. They got her the idea book, which is pretty cool, and the Rockefeller Center, which is a little boring and overpriced, but gifts is gifts and bricks is bricks. They went and got me the Queen Anne's Revenge, which is far, far more than I expected, but I definitely can't complain. Biggest set I've ever had, and it should be fun putting together.

Edit:
I was ordering some lost old instructions off Bricklink and figured I'd get a second instruction booklet for the QAR, that way two people can work on separate parts together. Big sets don't normally come with multiple booklets on their own, do they?

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 27, 2011

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.
My son received his first two Duplo sets from Santa last night (his mother had him on Christmas). I didn't realize how many pieces were in the sets until I dumped them out on the floor for him. I also had to hide some of the smaller pieces, he can have those back when he gets older and I don't have to worry about him choking on them.

Being eleven months old, he has no idea how to click them together yet, but we're working on that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Kazy posted:

So I got an Emerald Night set for Christmas. :toot: I also dug out some of my old 9V track. Is there track in the LDD? I want to know what kind of layouts I can make with the track I have. I have 34 curved tracks, 10 straight, and 2 switches.

There is a sofware out there called blue brick that for track designs. Works well.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Much as I'd love grabbing a few deals off the Lego shop, then S&H+sales tax is breaking it for me. Not buying 20 dollars worth of stuff and having to pay ~10 extra on it. Maybe if they didn't ship every drat thing in one massive box, it wouldn't cost out the rear end.

The best was when I grabbed a brick separator and a 3-dollar set last year. The box was big enough that they could've stacked a couple Black Peals in there and had extra room.

I'd rather burn the gas to travel around to retail stores and compare prices. It'd still be cheaper. You pay for convenience, I guess, if you call wasting money convenient. It's a shame. Magma Monster at 4 bucks is just about right for something that small.

If I were to just order that, the S&H/Tax would overtake the actual set, money-wise. So you want to order more stuff to fill the stupid, giant box they insist on using, but that just jacks the tax up. It's lose/lose.

anoxia
Aug 30, 2006

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europe vincendarum.

Spaceman Future! posted:

The micro-scale falcon is pretty awesome too, have that on my desk right now.

I love the micro-scale lego, I'm looking for something cool to put on my desk at work.

My friend's little brother makes lovecraft lego videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xtuYEx4-rk this is one he entered for a local film festival. I think he should try and build a lego cthuhlu from scratch, any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

anoxia posted:

I love the micro-scale lego, I'm looking for something cool to put on my desk at work.

My friend's little brother makes lovecraft lego videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xtuYEx4-rk this is one he entered for a local film festival. I think he should try and build a lego cthuhlu from scratch, any suggestions?

I can't find it on GIS but I remember seeing an awesome Cthulego that used an actual Lego octopus as his head. I recall it having a Bionacleish body.