Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Maytag posted:

Pretty sure Freddy Mercury was talented.

Fat-Bottomed GRRMs, they'll be riding today
So look out for their scooters, oh yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
If only GRRM was more like Brian Jacques (RIP)! This fantasy would be the best thing ever.

(Brian Jacques wrote the Redwall books - he would start and finish the entire plot in a single novel and allude to those books in the next book, etc. Not to mention he consistently pumped out 250-400 page books every 8-14 months for 20-30? years, not including his graphic books, etc. that went along with the Redwall series).

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Who cares about hot women?

Well, I can tell you all of the characters in ASOIAF who sure as hell don't, such as fan favorites Dolorous Edd and Jon Stark.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

bigmcgaffney posted:

Well, I can tell you all of the characters in ASOIAF who sure as hell don't, such as fan favorites Dolorous Edd and Jon Targaryen.

I took the liberty of fixing the last word for you, as they take the name of their father not mother yo.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Does that make Jon a Targ Warg?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Joramun posted:

Besides her I'd use it about Cormac McCarthy too, without any shame, reproach or hesitation. Credit where credit is due.

Him, Vonnegut, and Frank Herbert are the three authors I'd say are absolutely perfect writers.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

mind the walrus posted:

Obligatory statement about the insanely hot women he seems to bag, and that you'd be smug too blah blah blah blah
Dat Padma Lakshmi. Such a stunning goddess.

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Does that make Jon a Targ Warg?
If any more get revealed they can form the Warg-Targ Clan and become an international hiphop sensation.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dragons

Rule

Everything

Around

Me

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

All
Day
I
Dream
About
Ser Gregor Clegane

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Azure_Horizon posted:

Vonnegut, and Frank Herbert are...absolutely perfect writers.

What.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

mind the walrus posted:

Dragons

Rule

Everything

Around

Me

D.R.E.A.M. get the honeyed locusts, dolorous dolorous edd ya'll

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Martin Van Buren posted:

Yeah I would def say this too except it's sci fi, even though it kinda masquerades as fantasy when it starts out.

Sci-fi and fantasy have boundaries which become increasingly blurry the further the science gets from 'hard' science. BotNS is so far away from hard science that saying "No, it's sci-fi, not fantasy!" is a specious argument.

M. John Harrison's Viriconium novels aren't bad either.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

whowhatwhere posted:

What.

I don't see how there's anything wrong with that statement. Vonnegut is just on a different level than nearly every other writer I've come across, and Frank Herbert created the best sci-fi universe to date.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Neurosis posted:

Sci-fi and fantasy have boundaries which become increasingly blurry the further the science gets from 'hard' science. BotNS is so far away from hard science that saying "No, it's sci-fi, not fantasy!" is a specious argument.
Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Dune is an immensely awesome work if you can manage to stop reading it 1.5 books in.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
Haven't checked this thread in over 6000 replies and wondered to myself: "Has it devolved back into the "bad thread" yet?". Thank God, not yet, but the undercurrent is there.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

bengraven posted:

Haven't checked this thread in over 6000 replies and wondered to myself: "Has it devolved back into the "bad thread" yet?". Thank God, not yet, but the undercurrent is there.

7600 posts to cover what could have been written in 30 if we had a better editor.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Azure_Horizon posted:

I don't see how there's anything wrong with that statement. Vonnegut is just on a different level than nearly every other writer I've come across, and Frank Herbert created the best sci-fi universe to date.

1-3 were ok, 4 was a weird rear end book that wasn't really dune, and 5/6 were awful and you could tell Frank's mind was going.

I mean I guess I can see it if you stopped after Children of Dune, but perfect? Or even calling him great? Nah.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

DARPA posted:

7600 posts to cover what could have been written in 30 if we had a better editor.
I did cry bitter tears* after the chapter where Blade_of_tyshalle died of a sudden terminal Greyscale infection. He was my favorite POV character, had so much to live for and much and more yet to accomplish. A tragic loss both literary as well as emotionally, and we can't yet even begin to fathom the staggering political implications of his unexpected expiration.

* I may or may not even have clawed my own face a little bit in agony

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Dune is an immensely awesome work if you can manage to stop reading it 1.5 books in.

That feeling when you didn't, and then you experienced the ups and downs of it.

And then you wanted more.

So you bought the books written by his son.

And you cried.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
See? We're luckier than Dune fans! GRRM doesn't have a son!

Also: Vonnegut has some really great works, and a unique style, but most of his novels are basically the same work with different names attached.

And Dune was great; everything else was adequate at best.

Saying Dune was the best scifi universe so far != perfect writer.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

IRQ posted:

1-3 were ok, 4 was a weird rear end book that wasn't really dune, and 5/6 were awful and you could tell Frank's mind was going.

I mean I guess I can see it if you stopped after Children of Dune, but perfect? Or even calling him great? Nah.

I thought God Emperor, Heretics, and Chapterhouse were way better than the first three novels. The Golden Path alone is a fantastic, awesome idea for a series. Definitely did not find the last two novels awful in any way whatsoever.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Azure_Horizon posted:

I thought God Emperor, Heretics, and Chapterhouse were way better than the first three novels. The Golden Path alone is a fantastic, awesome idea for a series. Definitely did not find the last two novels awful in any way whatsoever.

Haha, I didn't notice who I was quoting. Of course you'd say that.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

HarveyVdarski posted:

And you cried.

Shaara syndrome.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

IRQ posted:

Haha, I didn't notice who I was quoting. Of course you'd say that.

And many others would agree. Shock, awe.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You are actually the only person I have ever met who likes the last couple Frank Dune books, and I've been at writing workshops and SF/F conferences pretty regularly for the past five years. I'm not saying they don't exist but they're a rare sort of bird.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

whowhatwhere posted:

See? We're luckier than Dune fans! GRRM doesn't have a son!
There's still time.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

HarveyVdarski posted:

And you cried.

My first question on hearing of the GRRM's likelihood of death: "Does he have a son like Brian Herbert?"

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

What if he impregnates some fangirl at a convention right before he dies and we then have to wait like 20-30 years for George jr. (or Dany if it's a girl) to grow up and finish the series?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Oh god.

Oh god.

:gonk:

It's Ty

:gonk: :gonk: :gonk:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Tack on a year or two for the GRRMSpawns distraction at the hands of Blurnsball.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Joramun posted:

What if he impregnates some fangirl at a convention right before he dies and we then have to wait like 20-30 years for George jr. (or Dany if it's a girl) to grow up and finish the series?

How will we know it's a real GRRMspawm or just the fangirl and her brother? We could have a Joffrey that claims the GRRM-mantle but is instead an imposter. Then the Bad thread will have to track down his bastards to write the end of the series and there will be nerd civil wars.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
While secretly, the daughter of Robert Jordan waits to crush the usurper's family and reclaim the fandom that is rightfully hers.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

crazypeltast52 posted:

How will we know it's a real GRRMspawm or just the fangirl and her brother? We could have a Joffrey that claims the GRRM-mantle but is instead an imposter.
Even then, we can't be sure the fangirl's brother is really her brother and not secretly a Targ.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Joramun posted:

Even then, we can't be sure the fangirl's brother is really her brother and not secretly a Goodkind.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Joramun posted:

Even then, we can't be sure the fangirl's brother is really her brother and not secretly a Tolkien.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

whowhatwhere posted:

While secretly, the daughter of Robert Jordan waits to crush the usurper's family and reclaim the fandom that is rightfully hers.
But unfortunately, right as she is about to finally email the finished manuscript to her literary agent she gets burned to a crisp by Brandon Sanderson's pet dragon, which had been chained down in the dungeons deep below her apartment building.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

General Battuta posted:

You are actually the only person I have ever met who likes the last couple Frank Dune books, and I've been at writing workshops and SF/F conferences pretty regularly for the past five years. I'm not saying they don't exist but they're a rare sort of bird.

I think they're okay. Not as good as the first ones but I wouldn't hate life if I had to read the later ones again. There's some neat things in them but they just don't assemble into a good story.

I think you'd pretty much have to know nothing about good storytelling to think they're better, though.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Leviathan Wakes is Ty gearing up to finish GRRMs work even if he doesn't die.

GRRM has to focus to finish up his greatest work: WILDCARDS.

I only read the first Dune, little did I know that would turn out to be a fantastic decision.

Now that were done with that discussion, lets talk about Chrono Cross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Chrono Cross is an even better-made game than Chrono Trigger, obviously :rolleyes: