Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
I was nosing around Brothers Brick yesterday and saw this.

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Merchant of Death posted:

I do try to pick them up though when I cross into america because its more resonable price wise.

That's it. $300 isn't too bad, £300 is financial rape and I hate TLC for their "screw Europe" pricing.

Dr. Benway posted:

:getout: with that Bionicle crap. Bah!

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Jut posted:

That's it. $300 isn't too bad, £300 is financial rape and I hate TLC for their "screw Europe" pricing.

the screw canada tax when I live a hour to the states is pretty bad. My friend was down there for 2 weeks for a military exercise so could bring back a silly amount of stuff duty free and toysrus was having buy one get one 50% off so far the only set I have paid regular retail for was the unimog because I was impaitent for it and it was awesome, but it was free shipping and extra vip points.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Jut posted:

The UCS have always been either stupidly expensive (see the star destroyers), or have a stupid price/parts ratio (see jedi starfighter). I've just never been able to justify the cost.

Speaking of Batman...gently caress this set
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=7888-1
444 pieces and it's fetching upwards of £150. That tumbler looks awesome too:(

Has this set even been released in stores yet? I've yet to see barely any superhero stuff anywhere around here.

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

illcendiary posted:

Is there a reason Lego used to have a "Legoland" banner on all their boxes?

It's that just a US/NA thing? We have exactly the same box sets here in Singapore back in the past and it's all labeled as "Lego System".

The golden age was when Lego designed their own stuff (especially medievel castles!) before the Star Wars sets came out. Not that the latter was terrible; the product range just didn't felt Lego enough and there seem to be less plastic for the money.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

mattfl posted:

Has this set even been released in stores yet? I've yet to see barely any superhero stuff anywhere around here.

It's one of those older Batman sets from a few years ago. Wish I had picked it up when it was still in stores!

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I got this when I was 4 or 5 after seeing another kid with it at show and tell :)

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow
Since weareoffthehook pointed out there's a Lego store two blocks from me, I went in 3 times in three days. I think I need an intervention.

I looked at the AFOL-oriented wall and said "I want... all of that."

So, as the clerk pointed out, the first step was to pick up Medieval Market Village and Fire Brigade since they're going away.

Also picked up two Winter Village Post Office sets, one for me and one for my sister. She was complaining that they don't make LEGO that appeals to her anymore, and thought Friends was offensive. I think she'll like this one, or at the very least it has a gazebo and scruffy musician duo.

I knew the modular buildings were big, but drat. And now I'm tempted to pick up Green Grocer at extortionate prices, because it looks even better and will only get more expensive.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

illcendiary posted:

It's one of those older Batman sets from a few years ago. Wish I had picked it up when it was still in stores!

Oh, I thought it might be from the new superhero line :(

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Tighclops posted:

However I was able to reassemble one set, apologies for the crappy cell phone pic:

What set was this? I had it, and I built SO many MOCs as a kid using that cockpit design.

edit - NM, found it -- 918, One Man Space Ship.. I knew it couldn't be the bigger one because my parents were too cheap to buy me anything that cool.

http://www.brickset.com/search/?query=space

I had 918, the 885 Space Scooter, 886 Space Buggy, and I'm pretty sure I had 897 Mobile Rocket Launcher (at least, I remember building a rocket just like that)... I wonder if that bucket is still floating around here anywhere...

TremorX fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 3, 2012

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Diosamblet posted:

I knew the modular buildings were big, but drat. And now I'm tempted to pick up Green Grocer at extortionate prices, because it looks even better and will only get more expensive.

build your own, you can get the instructions for the 3 modular buildings that are gone and they mostly use easy to find common bricks with only a few rare pieces. use the rare pieces as a chance to add your own design to work around it. I am still working around the rare doors for the model team black cat 'big truck' and have made a decent solution out of normal bricks for it and am just going to use the 62 tires instead of the 68 that it came with and made it reasonable to try build instead of paying $120 for 2 doors and 6 wheels.

even a used copy of green grocer or cafecorner costs 3 times what it was when it came out.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Holy cow, that bionicle tiger is slick. I love the mini-fig arms as eyebrows. Everything else is just sort of mind-boggling.

6966 X-vasion

What I thought then: AWESOME. I loved all of the trans-neon-green, and these UFO guys had the coolest helmets and shoulder-pads. It was a lot of fun to play with, since the base and top could spin independently and as far as I was concerned, those four antennae were clearly meant to be laser-cannons. I loved the printing for the rest of the saucer panels, and got a lot of mileage out of those angled leg-slope things. Plus the pilot has a trans-neon-green head, how cool is that? Oh yeah, and those wedge-flaps with the holographic stickers. No idea what those are for, but they're cool.

What I think now: The only downsides I see to this set is that the saucer pieces aren't super versatile, especially because of the printing. On the other hand I still have most of the pieces and this is the only set I've rebuilt more than once.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
I hate stickers so I don't mind the printing that much. On certain sets I have scaned the stickers, and made them into stencils and airbrushed the pieces with the design on it because the stickers don't work well with taking apart. Same with stickers across multiple pieces, unless its a part I don't have spares of I tend to airbrush the design on it. I haven't applied any stickers to my alien conquest stuff or airbrushed it yet and doubt I will, though I am trying to make a alien robot like from mars attacks to go with my alien conquest stuff but its turning out to be a bitch.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What's the name of the line that set's from? That's one of the lines I can remember somewhat vaguely, I had a insectoid spaceship with magnets and poo poo in it. It was my first set where I saw lego sliding joints, and so it was my favorite set ever.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Pretentious Turtle posted:

What's the name of the line that set's from? That's one of the lines I can remember somewhat vaguely, I had a insectoid spaceship with magnets and poo poo in it. It was my first set where I saw lego sliding joints, and so it was my favorite set ever.

It's the UFO line from like '97 or '98, I remember it for having sweet fiber optics on one of the ships :cool:

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

This is probably a dumb question, but how do you know when sets are about to become unavailable? I want to make sure I have all the stuff I want at reasonable costs if certain sets are going away. :ohdear:

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but how do you know when sets are about to become unavailable? I want to make sure I have all the stuff I want at reasonable costs if certain sets are going away. :ohdear:

depends on the set, but usually 2 years for non licensed sets is the general rule, licensed sets can disapear within a year.

fire brigade and medival market village will be going out of product soon the imperial flagship came out after both of those and is already out of production.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

jp82729 posted:

If I did have to pick a non-castle set, it would be the M-Tron Particle Ioniser. Helicopters....in space! So crazy, but it works.

I had that! It ruled, but was fragile as poo poo.

I, uh, also had this:

Not all that fragile though, on account of Mum gluing the pieces together!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I wish I could say what my first set was, but I had Legos as early as I can remember. And not Duplos, either. I wouldn't be shocked if it was just a tub of bricks. It's nice, though. When I think about it. My parents weren't rich by any stretch (and my dad was in college until I was five, which certainly didn't help) but they never seemed to have a problem buying me a Lego set now and then. :unsmith:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
I don't remember my first set either, though I have good memories of those multi-theme multipacks. M-Tron and Forestmen were king. The folks never got me anything that cost over $30-40, I'd estimate, but I never really wanted the big "command base" type sets anyway. Always happiest with the smaller, more whooshable vehicles.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Tighclops posted:

I still have the baseplates and a few of the printed bricks (including that awesome giant video screen) from this set my cousins had. For years I couldn't figure out what the little monorail pieces were supposed to be for.

Did that video screen ever come with other sets? Because I have one and used to use it for everything because it is awesome, but I can't recall ever owning this set. I have the baseplates too but I could have sworn I got those on their own.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

This bad boy here was my first one:

I had a few of the McDonald's sets, too, and a suitcase-packed base set. And thanks to this thread, I never would have known how to find out where the parts came from since the packages/instructions have been lost to the annals of time.

When I was getting gifted LEGO for Christmas back in the day, I didn't get more than $40 or so spent on me (hence the Spyrius stuff, but not the HUGE Spyrius stuff), and now I'm "making up for it" by spending more in three months than I think my entire family collectively spent on me during my initial LEGO phase. At least I'm more informed about sales and stuff now, so I'm not just randomly picking poo poo off a shelf, like they seemed to do.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Merchant of Death posted:

Star wars will likely never go away, and I do love the UCS sets for the most part. This year we might be getting a UCS b-wing

Oh goddamnit. How am I supposed to justify this to myself.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Glass Joe posted:

Did that video screen ever come with other sets? Because I have one and used to use it for everything because it is awesome, but I can't recall ever owning this set. I have the baseplates too but I could have sworn I got those on their own.

A video screen piece with a different scene is in this set: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=493-1 so that might explain it.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Phy posted:

Oh goddamnit. How am I supposed to justify this to myself.

How don't you? :colbert:

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Tighclops posted:

A video screen piece with a different scene is in this set: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=493-1 so that might explain it.

Nope, I had the one in the first set. Maybe that's where I got the moon plates after all :confused:

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

illcendiary posted:

It's the UFO line from like '97 or '98, I remember it for having sweet fiber optics on one of the ships :cool:

Yup, I have that one in pieces. The fiber optics are sweet

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Goddammit I got a tax rebate last month, a tax rebate i'd been saving to pay bills, and now I'm thinking 'I could pay a few bills and buy Fire Brigade, Millennium Falcon and that Batman Tumbler set' :smith:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Xenophon posted:

I got this when I was 4 or 5 after seeing another kid with it at show and tell :)

This set was pretty much my favourite when I was a kid, and formed the basis of almost everything I made after I got it.

a
Sep 25, 2000
We just finished building our Pet Shop and it was one of the most enjoyable Lego experiences I've had in 20 years.
Now to build my Unimog...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dr. Benway posted:

Everything this guy does is incredible. That dragon, tiger, Unit 02, the Equestrian, the various Pokemon, all of it is incredibly intricately designed.

Jut posted:

Okay, we can do without your whining because you live somewhere Lego hates, no less than three posts complaining about the cost of Lego because you live in Romania, and four posts complaining about pricing in Europe and what-have-you. We get it, you don't like how much it costs/lack of availability due to living in an inconvenient place for Lego to ship to/market in.

quote:

:getout: with that Bionicle crap. Bah!
The stuff that guy makes is far more interesting than your complaining.

And that's just his first page. It's interesting going back ten pages and seeing how far he has progressed since then. He's really got a knack for using Bionicle pieces and minifig arms in interesting ways, especially when it comes to making animal-style figures.

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.

djfooboo posted:

2009 had Pirates advent calender and 2010 has Kingdoms advent, hopefully we get something like that, but I see Star Wars calander becoming the "extra one" besides the city one :saddowns:

That's true for this year. Afaik there will be 3 2012 advendt calendars: City, Star Wars and Friends.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Just had this idea for a micro scale space fighter last night. Could I get some feedback on it? I've only really just started messing with lego again.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Captain Invictus posted:

Okay, we can do without your whining because you live somewhere Lego hates, no less than three posts complaining about the cost of Lego because you live in Romania, and four posts complaining about pricing in Europe and what-have-you. We get it, you don't like how much it costs/lack of availability due to living in an inconvenient place for Lego to ship to/market in.

Sand in your vagina much? Lego's pricing policy towards anywhere that's not the US is a valid complaint.

Did I imagine a UCS tumbler? I swear I saw one a few years ago but can't find it on bricklink

Jut fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 3, 2012

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

Luminaflare posted:

Just had this idea for a micro scale space fighter last night. Could I get some feedback on it? I've only really just started messing with lego again.

poo poo man now you got me thinking of doing a Homeworld MOC.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Luminaflare posted:

Feedback is that little sumbitch is great. I need to do more microscale, and I need to do some BIG microscale capital ships, carriers, etc. to go with it.

Botany As Optimism
Aug 2, 2008
More then / now reviews please they are really awesome

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Jut posted:

Sand in your vagina much? Lego's pricing policy towards anywhere that's not the US is a valid complaint.

Yes. It is a valid point.

The fact that the regularity with which you need to complain about it is very annoying is also a valid point. So from now on let's assume that everyone posting in this thread is fully aware that you're in Romania and LEGO is expensive there (as it is in many countries) and and various online retailers don't ship there. The complaints about this and the constant stream of LEGO related hardships you seem to face on a daily basis are rapidly approaching EN/Livejournal proportions.

If in six months you feel there may be some people reading this thread who are not aware of the fact that you're in Romania and LEGO is expensive there (as it is in many countries) and various online retailers don't ship there then maybe you should remind us. But until then just assume we all know.

And... let's consider that the final word on the whole thing. That way I don't have to probate that other guy for being a bit of a dick and I don't have to give you a big red title for being annoying and no one needs to report anyone and this thread that some other non-man-child mods are itching to move stays under the radar and everyone is happy.... or as happy as you can be given the constant steam of LEGO related hardships.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 3, 2012

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I'm not sure what my exact first set was, but I do remember when I first convinced my dad to order straight from Lego over the phone. And it came straight to my mailbox :aaaaa:

Was anyone else addicted to Lego catalogs when they were kids?

edit: I also remember having this awesome set as a kid:

Kazy fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Gravy Jones posted:

this thread that some other non-man-child mods are itching to move stays under the radar and everyone is happy

Why in the world are mods wanting to move this thread?! and where too?