Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Pyroclastic posted:

That's pretty much the only way these days. They have 'bump codes' on the bottom rear of the packaging, but they're different for every batch and can be difficult to see, let alone read ("Is that just a tool mark or a bump? Is it a low area in the crimper or a bump?" "Fold or bump?" "Strange reflection or bump?").
What you need to do is look at the pictures of the figs, find a signature piece, and feel for it. Learn to manipulate the bag so you move the stand and the collection sheet in one corner while you squeeze the rest of the pieces to another corner. Try and single out that one signature piece. Try to go for the larger signature pieces--skirts, hats, hair; small pieces like syringes or shafts or pistols can get hidden inside other pieces or the sheet. Use your fingernail to feel small contours (make sure you're feeling smooth ridges for your Gladiator helmet and not the rippled ridges of the eskimo hood).

Must look odd fondling the packets for that on minifig you really want

illcendiary posted:

This was my dream set as a kid. Some of my earliest memories of life (I'm guessing I was around 3 or so) were walking around the KB Toys, looking at this set mostly, thinking the monkey was pretty cool.

I never was able to get this particular one, but now that I'm older and have a job, I was able to buy the Queen Anne's Revenge for myself, which is pretty cool. Not as cool as the regular pirates one, but oh well. I'm not paying ridiculous amounts of money for that set.
you could always try the knockoff one I posted a dozen or so pages ago. The reviews I've found say it's a pretty close match. I was lucky enough to win my BSB for £40 on ebay a few years ago. I was offered £80 for it though, and was hard up for cash so off it went.

Jut fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Thanks for all the support posts guys you've already rekindled the fire and got me thinking.

Excited! :D

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Good! Now get to work Johnson, I want a Homeworld fleet on my desk by five.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
God all these pictures of old sets I used to have makes me want to start building them again. I really need to grab the two huge tubs of LEGO bricks out of my parents' basement... and start organizing them. I don't even know where to START organizing them though without dropping a few hundred bucks on storage containers.

I had that medium-sized space police jail ship, the gas station, the pirate jail... so many memories.

My favorite old set was actually the police boat.

I used that boat to make so many cool things. I'd make flying boat spaceships.

There was also a red passenger air plane that I remember having a mini ground crew with it, but I can't find a picture of it.

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 5, 2012

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
the method I posed a link to a couple of pages ago has a nice sorting method that organises the blocks into 'stacks' reducing the amount of storage containers you need

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

illcendiary posted:

This was my dream set as a kid. Some of my earliest memories of life (I'm guessing I was around 3 or so) were walking around the KB Toys, looking at this set mostly, thinking the monkey was pretty cool.

You could easily get the 1989 version used for 120$ + shipping. Considering the MSRP back in '89 was 110$ and the 2002 version sells for 180$ it's not that bad of a deal.

You could also probably build it piecemeal for pretty cheap. You'd probably have to spend 40$ on specialized parts, but if you have the minfigs to man it you're good to go. It's not a complex build and you can get the instructions online.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

Jut posted:

Must look odd fondling the packets for that on minifig you really want.

It's funny when we have them in the store and there's a bunch of people standing around feeling up the packages.

Nadesico
Jun 15, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just catching up with this thread and reading about the general girl discussion throughout the lines. I have a seven year old girl that loves Lego. It started with a police station and then the mini fig packs, on to Harry Potter and her new love is Ninjago. For Christmas Santa brought her the Fire Temple and Diagon Alley to go along with her Hogwarts Castle. We rushed to put the Fire Temple together and off she went to play. She asked me to play with her a few days later and she had all of her girl minifigs setup in the temple with swords and poo poo guarding it from the skeletons. It was heartwarming.

A few days after Christmas the newest Lego catalog showed up that had the Friends stuff in it, and she thought they looked cool but was disappointed that the figures weren't the same that she was used to.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Nadesico posted:

Just catching up with this thread and reading about the general girl discussion throughout the lines. I have a seven year old girl that loves Lego. It started with a police station and then the mini fig packs, on to Harry Potter and her new love is Ninjago. For Christmas Santa brought her the Fire Temple and Diagon Alley to go along with her Hogwarts Castle. We rushed to put the Fire Temple together and off she went to play. She asked me to play with her a few days later and she had all of her girl minifigs setup in the temple with swords and poo poo guarding it from the skeletons. It was heartwarming.

A few days after Christmas the newest Lego catalog showed up that had the Friends stuff in it, and she thought they looked cool but was disappointed that the figures weren't the same that she was used to.

This owns. :3:

I really have no problem with the Friends line, and after actually seeing how well designed the sets actually are I'm much more positive about the idea... but god those minidoll figs are awful. Badly proportioned, can't action-pose them as easily, and it just doesn't fit with the blocky look and feel of LEGO. I'm all for making minifigs more girly and including more customizations to them to fit a more "barbie" style audience, but would it really be that hard to just make "dress" leg and chest pieces and tons of different hair styles (and since the new hairs fit on the old head, that obviously isn't a problem). Why do they have to ruin such an iconic aspect of LEGO? I'm even okay with the idea of making the body/chest pieces actually have curves... just keep them all compatible with the regular minifigs.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?
This is likely a stupid question, but how accurate is the Bricklink 'this set is made out of' lists? I've got a chunk or few of a Modular Green Grocer (Grab Bag purchase at the local lego store quite a while ago) but not the entire set. I've been building the modulars and they're quite nifty, and was thinking of picking up bits and pieces to build one.

If i order what Bricklink says I need that I don't have, it'll be complete, yes?

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
I thought LDD had all the pieces? Seems it doesn't have 43713 which I've used for a MOC :(

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

cstine posted:

This is likely a stupid question, but how accurate is the Bricklink 'this set is made out of' lists? I've got a chunk or few of a Modular Green Grocer (Grab Bag purchase at the local lego store quite a while ago) but not the entire set. I've been building the modulars and they're quite nifty, and was thinking of picking up bits and pieces to build one.

If i order what Bricklink says I need that I don't have, it'll be complete, yes?

Generally it is fairly accurate for older sets, the newer the set the chance there is still slight errors. you can click the change log at the top right corner to see what has been modified on it. the spare parts though can be innacurate but they are 'spare'

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

Ok so I kinda have my first MOC. It's nothing special. I can't take credit really for the small ships because I saw the idea elsewhere.

I recreated my MOC in LDD thinking I could have full control to get a nice colour scheme happening but LDD doesn't let you change colours much so it was pretty much a waste of time.

The front antenna bend forward to imitate some heavy guns or something.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Ingram,
use LDD Extended mode, it's what i use to get the colours on pieces that normally don't supoort em. it also has all the pieces, including the one you want!

Me, earlier in thread posted:

LDD&LDD Extended mode
Extended mode gives you access to more bricks and coloring options so you can make your pretty rainbow castles and post em in the thread!

EDIT//
It's how i did the colouring in this biplane thing, wich is motly finished for now

head on view
rearview, showing the gear compartiment and a bit of the dashboard/cockpit.
Also, functional landing gear!

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 5, 2012

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

I added the ThemeAccess=LDDExtended bit and that piece isn't there as well as restricted colour.

Hmmm.

E: Ah poo poo didn't realise I had to pick LDD Extended from the menu lol.

Ingram fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 5, 2012

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Ingram posted:

I added the ThemeAccess=LDDExtended bit and that piece isn't there as well as restricted colour.

Hmmm.

Peeron says its this bit. as does LDD. you need to be in the extended theme to view em, go to view->new themes->LDD Extended.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

Ok bit of colour but I'm not really happy with it. Just learning really.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I'm a couple pages late for the "post your favorite childhood set" discussion, but I wanted to share this bad dude:

That was the only set I never cannibalized for parts as a kid. The way the rockets out on the struts were mounted "backwards" (with the big hole pointing forward) impressed me so much that I started mounting all my rockets that way on all my little MOC space fighters. I gave all my Lego away when I was 12, but within a year of collecting again as an adult, I bought that set and still have it together. For whatever reason it's the perfect badass swooshable midsize space fighter. I can't think of how I would even improve it as an MOC.

My first Lego were either hand-me-downs or some kind of bucket of bricks. I had those bricks with eyes and mouths printed on them, which by age 9 or so embarrassed me so much that I nerved myself up and threw them away. The first actual set I remember getting was one of these:

Memories. :3:

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Sockser posted:

AboveAndBeyond posted:

The thing I remember about these boats was that they were so heavily advertised about being able to float. You better believe there were a few sink adventures vs some spacemen

I am 99% sure this is the boat I had and it's one of the earliest sets I remember having as a kid. I absolutely played with this in the bathtub a LOT.

Also today I bought the Creator 3-in-1 DINOSAUR set. Which lets me make one of three loving DINOSAURS. Forget the new dinosaur line, I wanted this big fucker dinosaur instead. It came with quite a few pieces I had never seen before, particularly the movable joints. I also really dig this dark red color, since I don't think I had any bricks this color. I've built the t-rex and will do the other two later on, but it was a fun build although kind of short. I really loved the way the t-rex's mouth was done, it was a really clever method of getting those teeth in there.

GidgetNomates fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 5, 2012

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Every time I read this thread talk about minifigs it sounds like the people would prefer Lego handle them like Megablocks does.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

SlothfulCobra posted:

Every time I read this thread talk about minifigs it sounds like the people would prefer Lego handle them like Megablocks does.

Megablock figures are the only good thing about them. Even then, a good Megablock fig looks like a poorly painted 40k model.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

From Bricks to Bothans started doing webcomics:

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
A good Lego shopping today. We were out looking for series 6 minifigs as there has been some sightings of them at super-Walmarts. No minifigs, but they were discounting a bunch of sets and we picked up a bunch of the little Creator and Lego Racer sets for $2.90 apiece.

Then we headed to the Lego store to fill up my free PAB box now that the crowds have died down. I much prefer this box over the cups, a drat sight easier to cram completely full due to it's square shape. Not the best selection of parts but I got a load of 1x4 flat brown tiles and 1x4 log bricks.

Tempted to head back to Walmart and grab more of these creator sets now.

Digital War fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 6, 2012

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

CADPAT posted:

You could easily get the 1989 version used for 120$ + shipping. Considering the MSRP back in '89 was 110$ and the 2002 version sells for 180$ it's not that bad of a deal.

You could also probably build it piecemeal for pretty cheap. You'd probably have to spend 40$ on specialized parts, but if you have the minfigs to man it you're good to go. It's not a complex build and you can get the instructions online.

Hmm, this is tempting. I wonder why I expected all the sets to be $300+. $120 for a childhood dream is pennies IMO. Is there a reason the 2002 version is more expensive? Just that the bricks are less aged, I'm guessing...

When you say building piecemeal, do you mean buying pieces off of Bricklink itself?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Ingram posted:

Ok bit of colour but I'm not really happy with it. Just learning really.

Now that you've got Universe Mode going, try and rebuild the same craft, but sideways like this:

It'll be a good exercise that should open up some new thought processes/possibilities for you, and you might end up with something you like more.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
The new X-Wing comes with a Porkins minifig! Swooshing that mother straight into the Lego pile.

http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/X-Wing-S..._StarWars_PR_UK

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
Minifig Porkins looks like he might have a problem. Hopefully he can hold it.

The new x-wing is definitely the best they've done, but I can't believe they're still using that terrible cockpit design from 1999.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

^^^They gotta get their mileage out of those molds you know.

I have to say I think that new piece for the droid's head is MUCH more interesting to me than anything else in that set.

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 6, 2012

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I want that Y-Wing and the TIE Fighter so bad but they're just too loving expensive.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I want that Y-Wing and the TIE Fighter so bad but they're just too loving expensive.

Where can I see prices on these sets? I don't own any Lego Star Wars, but maybe I'll spring for an X-Wing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Star-Wars-ByTheme?_requestid=2099049

X-Wing is $60, Y-Wing is $50, TIE is $55.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Whoops, silly me. I assumed they weren't up on the official Lego store page yet. $60 is a bit much but maybe I'll do it.

Speaking of which, has anyone seen Series 6 minifigs in (US) stores yet?

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
I really like the fact porkins has that double chin going on.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Finished my first MOC in four years. Pretty satisfied with the results.

Gallery of it here.

Basilson
Sep 21, 2005

Yeah, right, buddy, liquor store robbery, officer down. Sure. And I'm Edward G. Robinson.
Welp I finally went ahead and created a BrickLink account for myself. My first purchase? My very first set:

Goddamn that thing was awesome. Looking at other peoples' favourite / first sets I must be in the minority of having preferred town over space. Now that I'm older I realise how awesome some of the old Space Police, Ice Planet and Blacktron sets really were, and because my childhood collection is at my parents' house in another country, it gives me the perfect excuse to start collecting all the cool old space sets I missed out on as a child. My wallet's going to hate me.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
This is the first thing I've ever made with a plan in my head of what it looked like - I always just built things when I was younger. I like it.

e: tweaked the wings a little and I think it looks better

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 6, 2012

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

djfooboo posted:

From Bricks to Bothans started doing webcomics:

What exactly are those girls visiting the Pricks booth for anyway?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Big Mean Jerk posted:

$55 for that TIE fighter? It only looks like it has some small changes from the $20 one that came out a few years ago. Glad they finally came out with a grey set instead of the blue it used to be, though.

And wasn't the old Y-Wing $30?

Goddamn Lucas.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Kazy posted:

$55 for that TIE fighter? It only looks like it has some small changes from the $20 one that came out a few years ago. Glad they finally came out with a grey set instead of the blue it used to be, though.

And wasn't the old Y-Wing $30?

Goddamn Lucas.

I've got the old TIE, and that new one is almost completely different from it. Different wings, different wing struts, more better figs, and a better cockpit too! It looks much better than mine :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vrunt
Jul 4, 2003

the great trollini

Sockser posted:

Without the pin to hold it in place that thing toes not sit at all.

It totally needs the pin, man.

i promise you it doesn't. we use the same piece in the Harbor set to make the crane http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Harbor-4645

Only registered members can see post attachments!