Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

basx posted:

House Mormont is how GRRM copes with his mother issues.

This is probs accurate. After all, "Mormont" is an anagram for "torn Mom", which was the result of GRRM's natural birth all those years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Does Gurm have a sister, because if so...

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

IRQ posted:

Does Gurm have a sister, because if so...
Try a GIS for bruce vilanch.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

NihilCredo posted:

Try a GIS for bruce vilanch.

You are a gloriously evil man :golfclap:

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
This thread is now the bad thread again.

BTW, if George loves the word "jape", does that make him a "japist"?

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!
Serial japist.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I wonder if GURM has his new wife-lady call him Rhaegar? :iiam:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I wonder if GURM has his new wife-lady call him Rhaegar? :iiam:

No, he just called her Lyanna during the bedding.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Is Ty's next book out? Been waiting forever over here.

Absolute sycophant.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Did someone in this thread actually read his book? Or the one he co-wrote or whatever? If so, how good a writer is the future finisher of the series?

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Wait Ty? Who are we talking about?

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Ty Franck, GRRMs right hand man, who joined up with fantasy all star Daniel Abraham (The Long Price Quartet, The Dagger and the Coin Quintet) as the architect of the pulp sci-fi Expanse Series. Leviathan Wakes recieved rave reviews from critics and laymen alike, even getting an endorsement from GRRM himself. The novel harkens back to the classic days of sci-fi yore, and this June the second installment will hit shelves and e-readers. So far Ty Franck has been able to write a tight, gripping yarn, but we will see if Caliban's War reaches its potential or hits the sophomore slump.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Maytag posted:

Wait Ty? Who are we talking about?

He is basically Gurm's Reek.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
GRRM gave a stunning review to a book written by his right-hand man?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

bigmcgaffney posted:

Ty Franck, GRRMs right hand man, who joined up with fantasy all star Daniel Abraham (The Long Price Quartet, The Dagger and the Coin Quintet) as the architect of the pulp sci-fi Expanse Series. Leviathan Wakes recieved rave reviews from critics and laymen alike, even getting an endorsement from GRRM himself. The novel harkens back to the classic days of sci-fi yore, and this June the second installment will hit shelves and e-readers. So far Ty Franck has been able to write a tight, gripping yarn, but we will see if Caliban's War reaches its potential or hits the sophomore slump.

I think we're going to need to get you fitted for an old SNAKES N CAKES avatar soon.

Maytag posted:

GRRM gave a stunning review to a book written by his right-hand man?

Really, GRRM would pretty much rave about anything his right hand did.

"Wiped my rear end. Five/Five Stars!"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Blurbs are part and parcel for entertainers of any sort. Even if what they made gives you physical diarrhea, if their marketing demographic overlaps with yours you pretty much have to pretend it's the best thing since sliced bread initially. Lord knows that without GRRM's endorsement Ty wouldn't be getting anywhere anyway.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
To be honest, Ty has been trying to get out of GRRMs shadow for some time now. He goes by the pseudonym S. A. Corey, proving that he is trying to make a name for himself on his (and the esteemed D. Abraham) own merit. He may have needed a boost to get through today's weak publishing market, but the last thing he wants is to be known as GRRMs right hand man. Even our own Hedrigall, noted homosexual, WildCard, and China Mieville afficionado has said that his book wasn't all together terrible. In fact it might have surpassed GRRMs own recent works. Of course, GRRM is now set up for a kick rear end book after the buildup of the last two entries (though the do hold their own if you look outside of the established narrative and try and discern what GRRM is really trying to tell us) and Ty might have an issue with the middle segment of the series.

As Vonnegut once said, who is probably as perfect an author there is, along with McCarthy and Herbert, the beginning and end are the easy parts, but the middle is where legends are made. Vonnegut, of course, said it with wry humor and understated the issue a bit. As any aspiring author can agree with, the middle is by far the hardest part.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Speaking of Bruce Vilanch, he said some things.

http://blog.shelfari.com/my_weblog/...+%28Shelfari%29

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

bigmcgaffney posted:

Leviathan Wakes owned pretty hard

It's a shame the author will have to tone down the quality of the sequel in order to keep GRRM from getting jealous

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Speaking of Bruce Vilanch, he said some things.

http://blog.shelfari.com/my_weblog/...+%28Shelfari%29

Um... I believe that is George R. R. Martin, the author of the books this thread discusses. That isn't Bruce Vilanch.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

bigmcgaffney posted:

Um... I believe that is George R. R. Martin, the author of the books this thread discusses. That isn't Bruce Vilanch.

I'm pretty sure Arms__Akimbo was using sarcasm.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
GRRM does not sound like I expected.

shen
Jan 22, 2006

has anyone attempted to relate bran's mobility to the pacing of the plot in the books yet?

- in the beginning, bran was an able-bodied youngster able to run and climb, just as in the first three books the plot moved quite quickly and something momentous occurred almost every chapter

- then bran fell and broke his legs, and had to be carried everywhere, foreshadowing how the plot slowed down in feast/dance

- now bran is sitting in one place and will eventually decompose/become part of a tree, which foreshadows how GRRM will die before another book is finished. the plot is over.

there's symbolism everywhere!

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
But what's the symbolism of his being able to teleport his consciousness to any Heart Tree?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

whowhatwhere posted:

But what's the symbolism of his being able to teleport his consciousness to any Heart Tree?

That's representative of how the series will now teleport to other authors as they attempt to wrap up the series.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

whowhatwhere posted:

Watching football.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

shen posted:

has anyone attempted to relate bran's mobility to the pacing of the plot in the books yet?

- in the beginning, bran was an able-bodied youngster able to run and climb, just as in the first three books the plot moved quite quickly and something momentous occurred almost every chapter

- then bran fell and broke his legs, and had to be carried everywhere, foreshadowing how the plot slowed down in feast/dance

- now bran is sitting in one place and will eventually decompose/become part of a tree, which foreshadows how GRRM will die before another book is finished. the plot is over.

whowhatwhere posted:

MikeJF posted:

That's representative of how the series will now teleport to other authors as they attempt to wrap up the series.

Maytag posted:

Watching football.

Welp, :allears:

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
And that my friends is why ASOIAF is a postmodern fantasy heavy hitter.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

shen posted:

Bran broke his legs in the first book? How do you explain the fast pace of the next two books?

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Octy posted:

Bran broke his legs in the first book? How do you explain the fast pace of the next two books?

Falling is pretty fast...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Anders posted:

Falling is pretty fast...

Yes, but also very short. His theory uses Bran as he is in each book to be a symbol of that books pace. THat means every book is slow and unmoving without the aid of some outside force. Of course, its entirely possible this is just a stupid theory that only works in quite broad strokes.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The only stupid thing in the first three books is Hodor.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The only stupid thing in the first three books is Hodor.

While I'm a fan of superfluous characters, I feel they add to the main cast through interaction, I really am curious what sparked the genesis of Hodor. Did he grow as a vehicle solely for carrying bran's crippled rear end, comic relief, a poor design in hindsight?

I wish someone would ask Martin why he thought a giant simpleton was a good idea for a tertiary character

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Aurubin posted:

I wish someone would ask Martin why he thought a giant simpleton was a good idea for a tertiary character
Sansa is a primary character and she is a giant simpleton too.

Chipolte_Away
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah, Life is Hilariously Cruel
Fan of Britches

Aurubin posted:

While I'm a fan of superfluous characters, I feel they add to the main cast through interaction, I really am curious what sparked the genesis of Hodor. Did he grow as a vehicle solely for carrying bran's crippled rear end, comic relief, a poor design in hindsight?

Maybe I am stating the obvious, but the first time Bran slipped his skin into Hodor, I thought that explained his character fully. You couldn't have Bran slip his skin into a full fledged human and now that Bran's body is becoming one with the heart tree, Hodor can become his surrogate body.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
How can anyone dislike Hodor he's great

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Ho DOR!

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
With all the Hodor chat, I think we should discuss how we pronounce Hodor.

I Hodor Hodor like 'HODD-or' but in the show they Hodor it 'HO-dor'. Sounds hosed up to me.

Alternative pronunciation: Lamprey pie.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Ho Door just sounds sillier, which suits his status as comic relief character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The way the show pronounces Arya is loving stupid.