Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ira Glass Jaw
Oct 21, 2010

Crazy Pigeon posted:

Sent you an email, I'd love a promo set! In other news, I just splurged and bought myself Pet Shop, Medieval Market Village and the V wing fighter. Can't wait for them all to get here on Wednesday! You should all check out amazon warehouse deals, they usually discount anywhere between 5-30 dollars for sets that have a slightly damaged box. I actually bought pet shop for 130 and mmv for 70! I even bought the Jedi Starfighter UCS a couple weeks back for only 50ish. They usually aren't even open so its a great deal if you don't really care about the box itself.
It's times like this I wish amazon.ca wasn't a useless shitpile of a site that actually had Lego on it :(, or that amazon.com would loving ship to Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthawk
Nov 21, 2003
(Spiffy title here)

ivantod posted:

Includes several motorized functions: e.g. the sides open and the arm inside moves to get the satellite out and so on. Not to mention, it's actually minifig scale and you can see that it includes the seats in pilot's cabin!

While catching up on this thread, I ran across your post and my wallet now hates you: Ebay had one in mint condition for 250. Even my fiancee ordered me to get it, so it has appeal outside of the normal lego fans.

It's now my most expensive model, previously it was the 8421 hydraulic crane that I had to ship from Germany.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.

ChesterJT posted:

Deep Sea Raider was the one I got. It was a great little build for $15. Lots of new pieces I didn't have before! Might head back to walmart and grab a couple more.

I never really cared for the new Atlantis sets, but wow I really like that design. It really brings back memories of the old Space vehicle layouts with the mini robo pal and everything. Now I got to grab it before it sells out!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Pseudo-God posted:

There were also not many pieces that I wanted from it.

You need peral gold wheels for any Subaru MOC :science:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Is it wrong that I want to buy most of the Lego board games just for the sets rather than to play? Or rather, to try and incorporate into a dungeon for Heroica. I've been browsing and thinking the sets would be useful to have, but loo0king at the rules I think some wouldn't be long enough tio get a good game out of. I do have Minotaurus, and it's been pretty good - games are a good length and it gets pretty compettive while being pretty simple. Ramses loopks cool, but the game play looks a bit too off. And a lot of the other ones seem too short.

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?
Are those games actually enjoyable for a demographic who don't have kids? What if I just want to bust out a lego game and a pitcher of rum & coke with some other nerds?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It's pretty hard to think of a way any game wouldn't be enjoyable with a pitcher of rum&coke on hand.

Come up with rules to turn into a drinking game. Turning it into a drinking game makes anything absolutely hilarious and fun (exception: driving (exception to exception: driving video games)).

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

hxcorpse posted:

Are those games actually enjoyable for a demographic who don't have kids? What if I just want to bust out a lego game and a pitcher of rum & coke with some other nerds?

Well my daughter's never played the one we have, but it still gets use.

It's a quick game to play when you're bored. We haven't gotten any of the other sets to build off it yet, but we probably will eventually, because it's not the deepest of games quite yet.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
LEGO Champion looks like it would make the perfect drinking game.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I may be a manchild, but I enjoy Minotaurus and Heroica. I'm also insane and buying sets just for potential use for incorporation into a giant Heroica dungeon. Though, I'll probably just get encouragement here, rather than the help I need.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

hxcorpse posted:

If you're into gaming, Heroica can really be made into something with a few modifications.

Unfortunately, its creator hasn't made a full set of photos of it yet and, no, the remote control doesn't go with it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Does that thing have a set of tunnels under it or something?

For content: Target in Australia is doing a 20% sale until the 1st, and have the new Star Wars sets in. I got the TIE fighter and X-wing for about $150, instead of the usual $210.

Also, there is a semi-accurate guideline of all the 2012 sets and prices here. The LotR sets all together will cost over $600 oh god why

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

hxcorpse posted:

I had a fun time playing Creationary with my friends, but I think it would have been even more fun if we had used my entire collection (though definitely more time consuming).

I have one of the Heroica games and it seems fun but I still haven't gotten around to playing it with anyone.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Flavor Bear posted:

When you are a butcher with red sideburns, that's when!
God drat it I need that butcher. Haven't spotted any S6 'round these parts yet.

I was hoping to get the butcher anyway but now I realize I need that head for the Sherlock Holmes figure.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Krazyface posted:

For content: Target in Australia is doing a 20% sale until the 1st, and have the new Star Wars sets in. I got the TIE fighter and X-wing for about $150, instead of the usual $210.

Also, there is a semi-accurate guideline of all the 2012 sets and prices here. The LotR sets all together will cost over $600 oh god why

It looks like Americans can just cut these prices in half and expect them out a month earlier than the guide lists.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Adregan posted:

If you do go back and nab some dwarfs I will throw you some cash to send a couple my way. My Meijer just isn't cool enough to have series 5.

I'm thinking of heading back actually. Looking at the dwarf, what would be the easist shape to feel for, the round shield? On second thought it looks like that gladiator has one too. The hat then?

I grabbed another atlantis set for cheap while at meijer. It was a minisub with the shark guy. Regular $10 they had them marked down to $7.50 but one was marked down to $5 for no discernable reason. The box was perfectly intact. Its hard to pass up $5 lego. They also had the huge walking sphinx set half off for $25 but it looked like a really boring build.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

I'm thinking of heading back actually. Looking at the dwarf, what would be the easist shape to feel for, the round shield? On second thought it looks like that gladiator has one too. The hat then?

Definitely feel for the helmet. I know this as an educated guess because I am a well adjusted and mature adult and definitely don't have one of those staring at me from under my work monitor at this very moment.

Edit: got one of the bandit minifigs from the new series this weekend, he is now holding up the passengers of my Emerald Night. Awesome minifig.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
I've got a question for some more advanced builders here. I've been trying to figure out how to make a 1" x 1" square as a base for a minifig. 1 inch = 3.175 studs, so the ideal dimensions would be a 3x3 stud base, but then how do I keep the minifig centered without using a weird column of plates to make it work?

The only way I can think of it working is by putting something with a hollow stud in the middle, then putting a 2 to 1 stud modified plate on it, then putting a 1x2 plate in the hollow stud, then building up the edges to stabilize it.

I also considered building out sideways, because 1" = 7.9375 plates (or 8 plates) stacked, but I think it would be impossible to actually create a 1" x 1" square of plates on their sides.

Its quite a conundrum.

Turgid Phalanx
Aug 22, 2005
I just recently got back into building and have been trying to find them on the cheap, with little success. Some guy on Craig's list wanted $2,000 for his collection of about 100lbs. Other fronts aren't turning up much either other than some clearance at Walmart, but it's been picked clean...

Other than the minifigs. Walmart has S5 minifigs at $2 USD each right now. No S6 though. My local one also had several unopened boxes of S5.

I suck at finding dwarves though. I thought I felt the beard, ended up being the work out lady's hair.

Also, the S6 flamenco dancer looks so much better if you have a spare revolver to put in her hand along with the fan.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

CADPAT posted:

Its quite a conundrum.

Does it HAVE to be 1" square for a particular reason? they're bigger, but what about the stands that come with the collectible figs?

Fooley fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 30, 2012

Ira Glass Jaw
Oct 21, 2010

ChesterJT posted:

The dwarfs helmet makes the package huge so it's very easy to find.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Turgid Phalanx posted:

Some guy on Craig's list wanted $2,000 for his collection of about 100lbs.

$20/lb is insane and he should be shot.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
If you're smart about it you can get decent deals on ebay and shopgoodwill.com. I picked up a millenium falcon (the 1400 piece one) for 85$ from goodwill earlier this month, which is a decent savings from the retail. Opened box, but all pieces still in the bags and original instructions.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

CADPAT posted:

Its quite a conundrum.

Maybe the situation is more complicated than my pre-morning coffee mind believes, but can't you just do this number?

You'll only be holding the figure on with one stud, but it should at least be centered. Modified to your preferred height, of course.

Turgid Phalanx
Aug 22, 2005

InfinEight posted:

$20/lb is insane and he should be shot.

Yeah, really.

My wife's theory is that he has a wife/girlfriend/someone that wants him to get rid of them and settled for him selling them. If he can't find a buyer then he'll just have to keep them!

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Krazyface posted:

The upper sections lift off as the party reaches certain points. There's also tons of movement and other hazards that the DM controls. You have moving walls, levers that actually open doors, and lots of other things.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

Fooley posted:

Does it HAVE to be 1' square for a particular reason? they're bigger, but what about the stands that come with the collectible figs?

Yeah I'm shooting for 1" square. The real reason for tabletop gaming stuff, but I was just curious if it was actually doable to make a 1" flat plate more than anything.

John Carstair's solution looks like the best one at this point.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

ChesterJT posted:

I grabbed another atlantis set for cheap while at meijer. It was a minisub with the shark guy. Regular $10 they had them marked down to $7.50 but one was marked down to $5 for no discernable reason. The box was perfectly intact. Its hard to pass up $5 lego. They also had the huge walking sphinx set half off for $25 but it looked like a really boring build.

They both have the shield but like a previous poster said the helmet is huge. Another tip is to feel the shield up. If its smooth it's the dwarf. If it has a bump in the center it's the gladiator.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

ChesterJT posted:

The key to the dwarf is his legs. Only he and the clown in this set have the non-bendable legs. Then find all his poo poo in his bag;the double bladed axe, shield, beard, and helmet. The clown only has two round objects (the bowler hat is easy to feel in contrast to the horned helmet).

DaegoMustache
May 29, 2003

You think you're so smart Trebek...
So, after scouring craigslist, ebay, and shopgoodwill. I decided to just buy a couple sets to start my son(and me) off. Also decided to put them together while he was at school to surprise him when he gets home.

Let's be honest, I wanted to see what it looked like put together before he disassembles it.

Picked the CITY set to start collecting, figured there's a lot of variety there and it would fit well with the Creator sets.

Testro
May 2, 2009

MaliciousOnion posted:

As long as you take your time and make sure you're identifying your parts correctly, there's no reason you can't get exactly what you want. If there's more than one unique part to a particular minifig, try and identify as many as you can. It sucks buying a Lady Liberty only to discover what you thought was the flame of her torch is actually the Spanish Dancer's fan.

Of course, if you do get duplicates, you can always trade or sell them.
I thought of this post and was patient tonight...and it paid off - I got the sleepy guy! I might have another crack tomorrow for the butcher - he's the only one left that I desperately want from S6.

Rustie posted:

Which were you hoping to get? I've got a bunch of duplicates from S5.

From S5, I'm missing the graduate, the gangster, the zookeeper, and the cavewoman.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Shuppiluliumas posted:

If you're into gaming, Heroica can really be made into something with a few modifications.

Unfortunately, its creator hasn't made a full set of photos of it yet and, no, the remote control doesn't go with it.

Shuppiluliumas posted:

The upper sections lift off as the party reaches certain points. There's also tons of movement and other hazards that the DM controls. You have moving walls, levers that actually open doors, and lots of other things.

I wish I had enough grey, green and brown to build that. I'd like to add a third dimension to my dungeon designs, but for now I'm restricted to the more open style that Heroica starts as. But drat it! I'm going to have a draagon boss.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
I just ordered this beauty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFA7VES7Bxo
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Volkswagen-T1-Camper-Van-10220

All giddy now, can't wait for it to arrive.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
drat, I would love to build one of those for heroica but no one to play with :(

I know it would take me a few months to affordably get the parts I need for it too off bricklink and other sources though am sure I have enough gray to do something like that.

I swore I would finish my leopard tank and black cat rig though before I even thought of trying to do anything else. tsk tsk.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
A question for anybody who has built the VW Camper Van. Is the VW logo on that round tile on the front printed or a sticker?

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
sticker :(

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Krazyface posted:

I was looking at the games. It says march for Piratee Plank, I just bought that off of the AU-Lego store yesterday.

ce gars
Dec 31, 2007

So I was visiting my parents today and decided to go out to their outdoor storage shed to see if there was anything out there I could use at my house, and to clean it up a little bit.

After about an hour of sifting through boxes, I found one with my old (massive) baseplate in it.

And under it? My childhood haul.

I've got it back home with me now. As you can probably tell, since they've been sitting in a poorly maintained shed for about a decade, they're incredibly dirty. I'm pretty sure mice have been scurrying around them. I don't really have any pillowcases I want to ruin in the wash with cleaning all this poo poo off the bricks, so what is the next best alternative? Old toothbrush and some soap maybe?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Oh, man. I had one of those gigantic grey baseplates when I was a kid. All my childhood Lego got stolen a few years ago, but I think that thing was lost to the four winds long before that.

For that massive a pile of Lego and as filthy as they are you might be better off buying some cheapo pillowcases or something. You're going to be scrubbing for days otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Joramun posted:

I just ordered this beauty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFA7VES7Bxo
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Volkswagen-T1-Camper-Van-10220

All giddy now, can't wait for it to arrive.

I was gonna buy that this weekend at the Lego Store but they were sold out. :( Might hafta order it online.

Also, finished the Fire Brigade today after work. I need more modulars, like, now!