Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Are they... a successful company? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Ditch posted:

In other news, New Japan was sold by Yukes to BushiRoad, described as "an anima/manga media company that have several successful card games, a few video games and a bunch of internet radio stations", which means they're so dorky that *I* look cool by proxy.
http://bushiroad.fm/

Could Yuke's sudden sell of NJPW be related to THQ's growing issues? I know the two are affiliated, but didn't know if they were part of the same company.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

HulkaMatt posted:

in japan that means they make such astronomical amounts of money they haven't figured out how to squander it all yet. I fully expect that country to be the first to have a chocolate fountain space elevator.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Could Yuke's sudden sell of NJPW be related to THQ's growing issues? I know the two are affiliated, but didn't know if they were part of the same company.
Different.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

HulkaMatt posted:

I imagine card games are a license to print money in Japan so probably.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
SMASH is putting English subtitles on their videos now. They're not very good, and don't make a ton of sense, but it's great that they're recognizing how many English viewers they have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNc0wFzATYU

Nanae Takanashi and Kana are appearing on the same show too, which means they aren't at each other's throats anymore, even if they might not like one another.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Bigger news!!!

quote:

[ALL TOGETHER News] The matches for the second ALL TOGETHER show have been announced. Below you will see the cards for the show including talent from NJPW, AJP, NOAH, Michinoku Pro (Michinoku Pro runs out of Sendai, which was affected by the quake) and a few freelance talent.

Northeastern Earthquake Reconstruction Charity Pro Wrestling Event "ALL TOGETHER ~ One More Time ~ Let's Become One~", 2/19/2012 [Sun] 16:00 @ Sendai Sun Plaza Hall in Miyagi Pref.

(1) ALL TOGETHER Opening Match - Cheer Up Nippon:
The Great Sasuke [MichiPro], Tiger Mask IV [NJPW], Ryusuke Taguchi [NJPW] & Taiji Ishimori [NOAH]
-vs.-
Gedo [NJPW], Jado [NJPW], Kenou [MichiPro] & Taro Nohashi [MichiPro]

(2) HERO IS COMING!!:
Hiroyoshi Tenzan [NJPW], Satoshi Kojima [NJPW] & Kentaro Shiga [FREE]
-vs.-
Captain New Japan, Captain All Japan & Captain NOAH

(3) SHINE ON TOMORROW:
Jushin Thunder Liger [NJPW], Minoru Tanaka [AJP], KAI [AJP] & Kotaro Suzuki [NOAH]
-vs.-
Kaz Hayashi [AJP], Shuji Kondo [AJP], Yoshinobu Kanemaru [NOAH] & Katsuhiko Nakajima [DIAMOND RING]

(4) BRAVE NEW WORLD:
Togi Makabe [NJPW] & Manabu Soya [AJP]
-vs.-
Takashi Sugiura [NOAH] & Yujiro Takahashi [NJPW]

(5) SUN PLAZA QUARREL FESTIVAL:
Kensuke Sasaki [DIAMOND RING], Yuji Nagata [NJPW], Akebono [FREE] & Naomichi Marufuji [NOAH]
-vs.-
Minoru Suzuki [Pancrase MISSION], Yoshihiro Takayama [FREE], Taichi [NJPW] & Masayuki Kono [AJP]

(6) BE STRONG JAPAN:
Hirooki Goto [NJPW], Akitoshi Saito [FREE] & Jinsei Shinzaki [MichiPro]
-vs.-
Shinsuke Nakamura [NJPW], Toru Yano [NJPW] & Takashi Iizuka [NJPW]

(7) Double Main Event I - THIS IS "PROWRESTLING":
Keiji Mutoh [AJP] & Kenta Kobashi [NOAH]
-vs.-
Jun Akiyama [NOAH] & Takao Omori [AJP]

(8) Double Main Event II - FIGHTING TOGETHER NOW: Hiroshi Tanahashi [NJPW], Suwama [AJP] & Takeshi Morishima [NOAH]
-vs.-
Tetsuya Naito [NJPW], Seiya Sanada [AJP] & Go Shiozaki [NOAH]

Source: Puroresu Spirit

Not as strong as the last card. Kobashi/Mutoh teaming again, and this time we get to see Tanahashi beat up Shiozaki.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Main event is so much better though.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Ditch posted:

Main event is so much better though.
What, you don't love Kenso???

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
In the context of a big main event tag there's no excuse for having Kenzo. None.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Semi main featuring team "Brokendown Moonsault."

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Bad Knees Bears

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Flameingblack posted:

Bigger news!!!

Source: Puroresu Spirit

Not as strong as the last card. Kobashi/Mutoh teaming again, and this time we get to see Tanahashi beat up Shiozaki.

I enjoyed the previous card quite a bit. This one also looks very fun.

I also wish that Japan would get into the spirit of iPPVs so I don't have to rummage the depths of internets to watch Puro.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

junction 3 has to disband. tozawa sole survivor of 72 minute 7vs7 elimination match.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The Shaman of Cum posted:

junction 3 has to disband. tozawa sole survivor of 72 minute 7vs7 elimination match.
Tozawa is popular enough to lead a stable of his own at this point. He is over as gently caress in America.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Flameingblack posted:

Tozawa is popular enough to lead a stable of his own at this point. He is over as gently caress in America.

Yeah. He's been the leader of BW since him/Kong/Hulk kicked out/screwed over CIMA after a Loser Leaves Unit 10 man tag match. Japanese crowds are finally connecting to him like how they did in the states. If this match is anything like the 10 man match, it could be really incredible.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Yeah. He's been the leader of BW since him/Kong/Hulk kicked out/screwed over CIMA after a Loser Leaves Unit 10 man tag match. Japanese crowds are finally connecting to him like how they did in the states. If this match is anything like the 10 man match, it could be really incredible.
It's so weird, the first match I saw from Tozawa was a match against Danshoku Dino. I got to watching DDT Pro after that and thought nothing at all of Tozawa. Suddenly turns up in PWG/Chikara and he's the most charismatic motherfucker in the indy/Japan circuit.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I first saw him as a wimpy in DG and thought he was the best jobber ever.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I really want to see him show up in PWG and randomly wrestle a match with his Tozawa-juku schtick again just to see how the crowd reacts. If Generico still has his uniform I'm sure Tozawa has it somewhere too.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
The thing about Tozawa is that he was already pretty good before his stay, he just had so much baggage attached to him that he needed that year away from Dragon Gate. I have far too much love for the Tozawajuku vs Zesturins Triangle Gate vs Unit match from 11/2008. As soon as he got to drop the Metabolic gimmick he really started to gain some steam.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
And to think if this was 20 years ago he'd have gone to WCW instead of PWG and come back on the gas a sad broken man.

DirtyDirtySheets
Oct 22, 2011
SMASH is dissolving: http://kakutolog.cocolog-nifty.com/kakuto/2012/02/post-2a96.html

Worst news ever.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

SMASH is going away, but it's more because of a disagreement in management. Tajiri thinks the focus of the promotion should be on the younger stars, that are really making a place for themselves for the first time. Chairman Sakai believes that the Veterans are the foundation of SMASH that bring in all of the fans.

Sakai is wrong as poo poo, because his veterans usually can't even bump, except for guys like Ultimo Dragon. It's cool to see Fujiwara in the ring, but he's too goddamn old to wrestle a match.

It's expected that Tajiri will break off with his group of younger stars and start a new promotion.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Flameingblack posted:

SMASH is going away, but it's more because of a disagreement in management. Tajiri thinks the focus of the promotion should be on the younger stars, that are really making a place for themselves for the first time. Chairman Sakai believes that the Veterans are the foundation of SMASH that bring in all of the fans.

Sakai is wrong as poo poo, because his veterans usually can't even bump, except for guys like Ultimo Dragon. It's cool to see Fujiwara in the ring, but he's too goddamn old to wrestle a match.

It's expected that Tajiri will break off with his group of younger stars and start a new promotion.

Yes, I sure do love parting with my hard earned yen to watch a couple of old guys avoid bumps. It works so well in the US. Japanese businessmen continue with the dumbness.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Flameingblack posted:

Older stars not being able to do poo poo doesn't mean they can't still draw in fans, especially on a small scale level.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

It's still dumb to rely on it of course, though, because then it becomes impossible to create new stars if you're only promoting the old ones and keeping them as the focal point. It's the same poo poo that's been happening in joshi for a long time. It sucks SMASH is done but good on Tajiri for at least realizing that it should be about the younger wrestlers and not the old guys.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

MassRayPer posted:

Older stars not being able to do poo poo doesn't mean they can't still draw in fans, especially on a small scale level.

TNA. :colbert:

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

MassRayPer posted:

If anything Japanese indies really excel at this. Didn't Bull's retirement show do about two thousand? I also remember a show that must have been two or three years back that was a wrestler from the 70s official 'retirement' (didn't wrestle for two decades, came back for one match) that apparently brought it a whole lot of people that left puro behind.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Retirement shows in general always seem to do well in Japan. If Bull just came back on a show to wrestle I don't think it would've done as much business but throw in your last chance (potentially) to see a person wrestle combined with all the pageantry of a big ceremony and people seem to want to come out for that.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Okada beat Tanahashi for the title. gently caress that.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Lloyd Boner posted:

Okada beat Tanahashi for the title. gently caress that.
Tanahashi is still the champion of my heart :allears:

Why Okada though? I mean seriously, why him? He was a super jobber in TNA. It's like they thought "This really worked for Akira Tozawa's popularity!" and in their minds, TNA had created someone as charasmatic and awesome as Tozawa. It just simply didn't happen though.

:psyduck:

I REALLY DON'T GET THIS AT ALL

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I think its a really weird move. The guy had less than 10 matches in his 2 year stint in TNA. :psyduck:

Adam and Mike brought up that it might happen but I didn't think they'd actually go through with it.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
And Tozawa didn't even get the title after being well-received upon returning to Japan. Oh and NJ's champion is more important to the company than DG's.

:psyduck: indeed.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Didn't they give Nakamura a title reign really early into his run also?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Ditch posted:

And Tozawa didn't even get the title after being well-received upon returning to Japan. Oh and NJ's champion is more important to the company than DG's.

Hell, Tanahashi might be the most important man in the whole company, and he got beat by a jobber in TNA.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Ditch posted:

Could Tozawa not winning also be reflected on how poorly Ryo Saito was over as Dream Gate champ? It seems like they are giving him a slow but steady build. First the minor tourney, tag straps, leading group. Next seems to be King of Gate.

And Okada looks to have his V1 against Naito. Looks like if things are going poorly he can drop it to him.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Could Tozawa not winning also be reflected on how poorly Ryo Saito was over as Dream Gate champ? It seems like they are giving him a slow but steady build. First the minor tourney, tag straps, leading group. Next seems to be King of Gate.

And Okada looks to have his V1 against Naito. Looks like if things are going poorly he can drop it to him.
I could see Tozawa getting a slow burn in DGUSA, he's snowballing into one of the most over and popular guys in the roster, and he's been getting some really impressive wins in big-match situations.

DirtyDirtySheets
Oct 22, 2011
Okada winning was too silly not to happen.I haven't asked anyone in Japan if people actually give a poo poo about Okada but thankfully, they probably have no details on what he was actually doing in TNA.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

HulkaMatt posted:

Didn't they give Nakamura a title reign really early into his run also?
Yes and it was one of the worst booking decisions anywhere in the world in the 2000s. It was even worse than Okada winning because Nakamura was younger and it cut off Tenzan at the knees after a whole year's worth of effort, all because Nakamura was scheduled for a shoot fight a few weeks later and Inoki loves him some shoots.

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Tozawa losing isn't a bad thing at all, but it wouldn't have been a bad move either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Still not sold on Okada but the match was ace.