Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

einTier posted:

I got kind of upset about the money I spent on my German Panther Tank build and just listed it on eBay, hoping to get back a fraction of the ~$130 I spent. I ended up getting $168. For an unlicensed kit that's really just a glorified MOC.

It was nice knowing you, Tank, but it's time you went to a new owner.
This one? Good stuff. Glad you got 200 bucks for it and got more than you paid for when all is said and done. It's a fantastic MOC! UNLIKE THIS ONE, which is kind of a POS and sold by basically the worst sort of Ebay seller(lists it as "VERY RARE" when it's not really qualified to be listed as anything of the sort, his other stuff does the same thing and mixes brands but still calls it Lego, words things deceptively, etc), I can't fathom how it sold for that much, especially after seeing this one go for half that price.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I'm glad to see some more EU sets out there, hopefully they will be introducing more SWTOR sets next year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRjAoKWKBrE
The rest of the videos are subscriber only on their website but it's amazing to see these two get more addicted to lego as the series goes on. It's halfway convinced me to try picking up a Death Star or Imperial shuttle set when my tax refund gets in.

Senjuro posted:

Lego newbie here. A few weeks ago I stumbled on this incredible MOC and since then I've had a burning desire to get myself some huge lego set to build, particularly one of the UCS Star Wars sets. Problem is that I appear to be too late to get any of the ones I like (Death Star II, Star Destroyer, Millennium Falcon) at anything resembling a reasonable price since they've all been discontinued years ago. Have Lego ever resumed production on a set after it's been discontinued? I can't imagine the price of these sets ever dropping otherwise.

I am going to be selling the Death Star IIs I purchased when Lego wholesaled them a while back, two new in the box and one opened but with all parts/instructions(and the parts are pre-sorted and assembled into easily-disassembled stacks). I was thinking of selling the opened one for 400(a sealed one goes for between 500-700 from what I've seen. If either of you'd be interested, let me know. I was going to keep the opened one but my car needs some serious work done on it. You can PM me through here or email me at captaininvictus@gmail.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
Just took this from toysnbricks. Cue price bitching ;) then again with what the lego dino line has been charging per piece I tell myself its not that bad. Jabbas palace has 10 minifigures and only 700 pieces.

•LEGO 9496 Desert Skiff ($24.99 USD / $29.99 CAD)
•LEGO 9497 Republic Striker Starfighter ($44.99 USD / $49.99 CAD)
•LEGO 9498 Saesee Tiin’s Starfighter ($29.99 USD / $39.99 CAD)
•LEGO 9499 Gungan Sub ($69.99 USD / $89.99 CAD)
•LEGO 9500 Sith Fury Class Interceptor ($89.99 USD / $119.99 CAD)
•LEGO 9509 Star Wars Advent Calender 2012 ($39.99 USD / $49.99 CAD)
•LEGO 9515 Malevolence ($119.99 USD / $149.99 CAD)
•LEGO 9516 Jabba’s Palace ($119.99 USD / $149.99 CAD)
•LEGO 9525 Pre Vizsla’s Mandalorian Fighter ($39.99 USD / $49.99 CAD) – Target Exclusive

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Voodoo posted:

We're so close to a LEGO "Rancor Pit" set. So close.

You mean this? Because there is a 100% chance that I am buying this set. It's only $24.99.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Phyresis posted:

You mean this? Because there is a 100% chance that I am buying this set. It's only $24.99.

That's the Sarlacc :colbert:

This is the Rancor:

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Phyresis posted:

That's a sarlacc, and a pretty weak sarlacc too. It didn'y need to be as detailed as this but it seems a little :effort:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm surprised it's taken them so long to do a Rancor since there was an original ROTJ Mattel set of him. Maybe because it's a big creature and they figure it would end up being a big custom mold and not very LEGO?

Like the one here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fbtbnet/6143033993/

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Oops, I brain farted. I swear I know what a Rancor is. It's a shame that there isn't a LEGO Rancor. I'll be happy as long as it doesn't look like that terrible one from the LEGO Star Wars games.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Time Cowboy posted:

Will this get my 2 year old to play with his Duplos? Right now his only agenda is to use them as missiles and laugh at the destruction. Sounds like I need to be more proactive.

Give it a shot. The worst outcome is that you need to get a new kid.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Merchant of Death posted:

If you like tanks http://sariel.pl/2010/10/leopard-2a4/ this is my favorite MOC. I really cannot think of anything I would add to it. The only downside is after seeing it my tank creation seemed so sad.

drat. :drat:

The only problem with that build is that there's no blueprint for me to recreate it. Because I would. I've got over $300 in my bank account now from reselling LEGO and I could use it on anything. Anything at all.

Captain Invictus posted:

This one? Good stuff. Glad you got 200 bucks for it and got more than you paid for when all is said and done. It's a fantastic MOC!
Yeah, that's it. And thanks, but it's not my MOC. It's just one I had the instructions to build. I liked it, so I built it. The only problem was that I'd budgeted $60 for it, which I was more than happy with, but with shipping and all the little bits and pieces, it climbed to $130, which I was not happy with.

I'd call it a real cautionary tale for anyone trying to build something piecemeal from bricklink. At this point, I wish I'd put more effort into the eBay auction. I really just wanted the drat thing off my desk, as it was a painful reminder of buyer's remorse. If someone had walked by a week ago and offered me $50 for it, I would have happily taken it.

einTier fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 13, 2012

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

If you like tanks http://sariel.pl/2010/10/leopard-2a4/ this is my favorite MOC. I really cannot think of anything I would add to it. The only downside is after seeing it my tank creation seemed so sad.

That's awesome. I love what he did with the suspension, although it must eat axles like crazy. I did a bunch of ultra-low geared crawlers when I was a kid and even the little 9V Lego motor I had left a few of my axles permanently corkscrewed.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Dead Alice posted:

That's a sarlacc, and a pretty weak sarlacc too. It didn'y need to be as detailed as this but it seems a little :effort:

Better look at the official one:

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

•LEGO 9500 Sith Fury Class Interceptor ($89.99 USD / $119.99 CAD)

Hurr, I knew it!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Senjuro posted:

A few weeks ago I stumbled on this incredible MOC

The size and detail of that is very impressive, but that poo poo is gonna fall apart when he tries to move it.

EDIT: Why is Lego so much more expensive in Canada :(

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Cbouncerrun posted:

EDIT: Why is Lego so much more expensive in Canada :(

Canada tax, much like cars and every other consumer good.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It wouldn't be so bad if Amazon.com would deliver Lego to Canada. Oh well.

How does Bricklink work? It's basically an ebay for Lego pieces right? But if you have to order through so many different sellers, how are you not paying absurd shipping costs and having to track dozens of tiny packages? Do you have to try to find a seller that has as many pieces that you want as possible?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Here's your drat Ranccor

I've got like, 5 of these loving assholes. Rock Raiders was pretty cool.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Bricklink is more like Amazon, and yes, ideally you would try to find the fewest sellers with the most parts you want. Inevitably you will be buying from more than one seller if you have something specific in mind, but sometimes it's fun to just find a store with good prices and browse to see what looks fun or useful. Also, many sellers have a minimum cart total, like $5 or whatever.

And if the seller is in the same country as you, shipping costs shouldn't be horrendous as even a large order of a few hundred pieces weighs very little and can be put into a fairly small box. Obviously the more sellers you order from, the higher your total shipping costs will be.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Monster Hunters has me torn as to whether I should make MOCs for The Monster Squad or Castlevania.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Monster Hunters has me torn as to whether I should make MOCs for The Monster Squad or Castlevania.

Wolfman's got nards trumps everything.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Cbouncerrun posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if Amazon.com would deliver Lego to Canada. Oh well.

How does Bricklink work? It's basically an ebay for Lego pieces right? But if you have to order through so many different sellers, how are you not paying absurd shipping costs and having to track dozens of tiny packages? Do you have to try to find a seller that has as many pieces that you want as possible?
Welcome to my hell.

Yes, you've pretty much got it correct. You're basically playing an absurd balancing act. You start with the first two or three sellers near you that have most of the parts you want. Then you pick the cheapest from each seller, hoping to get to whatever the minimum buy-in is. You'll still invariably end up paying too much for a couple of pieces. Then you've got to track down the four or five pieces that aren't on any of those vendor lists. They'll be out there, but you'll have minimum orders you have to pad out and then a couple dollars shipping. The last few parts you'll either decide you can live without or end up paying $15 to get.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Cbouncerrun posted:

The size and detail of that is very impressive, but that poo poo is gonna fall apart when he tries to move it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPsEea7hh2M
Moving it is a feat in and of itself considering it's 40k+ pieces and weighs 82kg but looks like he came up with something.

Cryptobotanist
Oct 23, 2005

Oh no... Poor me...
$119 seems pretty reasonable for Jabbas palace...then again, it depends on how big the palace is. I'm certain it won't be the entire palace that opens up to show the interior, but now that I'm thinking more on the relatively reasonable price (considering legos), I'm guessing the palace is going to fall short.

I wish they would make a toy set of the Emperor's Throne room. It's by far my favorite setting and scenes from Return of the Jedi. There's no way in hell I'm buying that giant Death Star that's close to $500

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I am digging the Dragula set, with the bigass hot rod hearse and the new motorbike mold.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Phy posted:

I am digging the Dragula set, with the bigass hot rod hearse and the new motorbike mold.

That mold has actually been around since Indiana Jones.
I think that's where it came from.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

einTier posted:

Welcome to my hell.

Yes, you've pretty much got it correct. You're basically playing an absurd balancing act. You start with the first two or three sellers near you that have most of the parts you want. Then you pick the cheapest from each seller, hoping to get to whatever the minimum buy-in is. You'll still invariably end up paying too much for a couple of pieces. Then you've got to track down the four or five pieces that aren't on any of those vendor lists. They'll be out there, but you'll have minimum orders you have to pad out and then a couple dollars shipping. The last few parts you'll either decide you can live without or end up paying $15 to get.

Is Bricklink optimization a computationally complex problem?

Could someone design a bricklink crawler that took shipping and minimum orders into account and calculated the cheapest way to get a certain set of pieces? You could possibly include alternatives for particularly scarce/stupidly expensive ones, such as different colours, with a weighting based on desirability.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
What's a good place for Canadians to buy lego online? I realize I'm probably SOL for the Lunar Limo by now, but I refuse to miss out on Lego Magneto and Deadpool, when they surface.

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR

Diet Poison posted:

What's a good place for Canadians to buy lego online? I realize I'm probably SOL for the Lunar Limo by now, but I refuse to miss out on Lego Magneto and Deadpool, when they surface.

If there's a Toys R Us in your area, try checking it out - I was surprised to see a Lunar Limo set at one in my city over the weekend.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Toys R Us does online shipping like Amazon. The speed is a bit slower than Amazon, but you get free shipping for orders over $100 so it's pretty convenient if you don't want to go the actual store, or if the store is sold out of something.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Diet Poison posted:

toysrus.ca Has the most frequent sales and has free shipping for anything over $100. Beware stuff disapears when sales start on the website within a day or so as it gets sold out quick. It seems they only sell a limited number online during sales so friday afternoon is your best bet to check.

legoS&H Has lego VIP and has a wider variety but sales are rare and shipping costs can make it suck.

amazon.fr Take 16% off for VAT, and shipping on big sets is on par with lego S&H. They have more frequent sales, Example I picked up Grand Emporium for $150CDN shipped compared to $250 Shipped ($199+ 19.50 + tax). If you can't read french it isn't too bad just copy and paste it or use a browser plug in to translate.

Chapter.ca So so, free shipping for $25 so if you are going to pay MRSP you can find coupons but coupons don't count as part of the $25 free shipping so if its $10 off coupon your cart has to be $35 etc.

bricklink.com Not good for new sets but great for older stuff you just can't seem to find anywhere you will find it here but some prices of sets will blow your mind. Don't look for the 10179 Millenium Falcon or discontinued Modular buildings the prices are insane. Plus bulk bricks it is a must of you make MOC's

barnesandnoble.com You will be paying american mrsp, shipping is relativly low but it can suck. Your boxes can be mangled sometimes. I have used them twice and both times and shipping conditon was pretty poor. I didn't really care because I end up breaking down all my boxes but collectors might.

I use toysrus.ca the most for new sets, bricklink for everything else, S&H for stuff I just have to have and the rest when there is great deals. I recommend using toysnbricks.com since they post deals and have a forum for canadian deals.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Still no UCS B-Wing? For shame LEGO. Between that and the lack of a Nebulon B Frigate I'm wondering if yous till want my money.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go swossh my new Tie Fighter a few times.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Fatkraken posted:

Is Bricklink optimization a computationally complex problem?

Could someone design a bricklink crawler that took shipping and minimum orders into account and calculated the cheapest way to get a certain set of pieces? You could possibly include alternatives for particularly scarce/stupidly expensive ones, such as different colours, with a weighting based on desirability.

Try Brickstore: http://www.brickforge.de/software/brickstore/

I haven't played with it too much myself, but it's the only one I can think of that might offer everything you outlined.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phy posted:

Someone needs to put rockets on it so Dracula can race the Space Pimp.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

ChocolateMoose posted:

Being sick, building mechs, crushing aliens :)

I AGREE! BEHOLD, Anub-hiss

This was made using only the pieces from 7325 Cursed Cobra Statue(but no pieces from the car).I did it this way because I wanted a challenge and I miss when the back of the boxes would show you 3/4 other things you could make with your new kit. Also the snake/spire statue thing kinda sucked.

Here's Anub-hiss's chest without the mummy using magical snakes to control him magically.

I also did this today!

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.

RodShaft posted:

I AGREE! BEHOLD, Anub-hiss

This was made using only the pieces from 7325 Cursed Cobra Statue(but no pieces from the car).I did it this way because I wanted a challenge and I miss when the back of the boxes would show you 3/4 other things you could make with your new kit. Also the snake/spire statue thing kinda sucked.

Here's Anub-hiss's chest without the mummy using magical snakes to control him magically.

Anub-hiss is loving sweet.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

WHAT ANCIENT EVIL IS THIS THAT WHICH LEX LUTHOR HAS AWOKEN!?!

Lex had to get the help of some aqua transforming robot guy, but alas they are no match for Anub-Hiss!

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Here is a crap pic of the old mini sets, the AT-ST looks like they changed the feet a bit in the new one. I know I will buy another of each though :)

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

RodShaft posted:

This was made using only the pieces from 7325 Cursed Cobra Statue(but no pieces from the car).I did it this way because I wanted a challenge and I miss when the back of the boxes would show you 3/4 other things you could make with your new kit.

Now that I think about it, is there a site that does this kind of thing? Moc's from the pieces in a specific set?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The new X-Wing does some pretty clever stuff in the main fuselage. I haven't gotten any kits like this in quite a long time, and the techniques they're using would've blown my 8 year old mind.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, saw the new Star Wars sets on the shelves here. $88 for the new TIE fighter? I think I'll pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah, saw the new Star Wars sets on the shelves here. $88 for the new TIE fighter? I think I'll pass.

$88? Where? Target has it for $50, are you overseas?