Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
http://www.bristol.gov.uk/sites/default/files/assets/documents/Myth%20busting%20booklet%20on%20Gypsies%20and%20Travellers.pdf isn't necessarily the most comprehensive factsheet but it is the nearest to hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Akuma posted:

What an incredibly well-reasoned and constructed retort.

Thank you.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Mediocre posted:

Yeah seriously its time for some of you to find an outlet for your thieving gypsy stories elsewhere it clearly doesn't really belong in this thread.

Thanks for the radio recommendations a few pages back I am totally loving Down The Line, it travels so wonderfully close to plausibility I keep forgetting it isn't real. Reminds me a lot of Chris Morris' stuff.

I had a go with the Armando Ianucci programme too, and while I love that man, starting from series 1 and listening to people from the 90s make Blair jokes is a bit weird. I may just skip ahead a couple of series.
Is that the fake call-in show with Paul Whitehouse and Rhys Thomas? In which case Iīm glad to have discovered it the right way: by tuning into radio 4 in the car and taking those couple of minutes to figure out if itīs a satire/pisstake or if itīs actually what society has come down to. Better than Bellamyīs People, which I believe had the same main fictional character.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

What is point Bellamy's People?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

petition to move this thread to d&d for five minutes so dos4gw can get auto-banned again.

also, why is there nothing on tv tonight?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You're not going to watch Homestead? I am, because I'm very susceptible to advertising.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

You're not going to watch Homestead? I am, because I'm very susceptible to advertising.

first page of google results are no help. what's this?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Cerv posted:

first page of google results are no help. what's this?

Guessing he means Homeland (channel 4 at 9pm)

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

oh that. ads made it look like 24 so i'll probably pass.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It's good and not much like 24 at all, much more realistic and serious. Though I haven't watched the whole first series. Claire Danes and Damien Lewis and Mandy Patinkin are excellent in it. Though it's pretty hard to buy its outlandish 'the CIA are the good guys' premise.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Idioteque Dance posted:

Is that the fake call-in show with Paul Whitehouse and Rhys Thomas? In which case Iīm glad to have discovered it the right way: by tuning into radio 4 in the car and taking those couple of minutes to figure out if itīs a satire/pisstake or if itīs actually what society has come down to. Better than Bellamyīs People, which I believe had the same main fictional character.

That's the one. I've been meaning to give Bellamy's People a go, was it no good?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Cerv posted:

oh that. ads made it look like 24 so i'll probably pass.

Nah, it's nothing like 24. It's actually pretty intelligent, and not poo poo. One of the best new series in a long while.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

Guessing he means Homeland (channel 4 at 9pm)

Bingo. An American remake of an Isreali drama of a soldier who was kept captive for far too long to be trustworthy. Eminently possible that it'll stink, but it's basically every third advertisement on channel 4 so I'll give it a go.
edit: Odds are looking up.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
This has been going around Twitter, an open letter to the producers of Gypsy Weddings: http://pipopotamus.blogspot.com/2012/02/open-letter-to-chanel-4.html

I keep seeing trailers for a show on Bio called 'A Gypsy's life for me' or something similar. Is that any better? It seems slightly less sensationalist, but I don't expect much from the channel that brought us another programme about the Chawners.

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....

Cerv posted:

petition to move this thread to d&d for five minutes so dos4gw can get auto-banned again.

I'm not sure if that's directed at me, but I'm not him. I'm just me! :(

Going back to lurking now.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

m0isty posted:

I'm not sure if that's directed at me

It's directed at dos4gw, I'm not sure exactly how you are confused about this

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

marktheando posted:

Though it's pretty hard to buy its outlandish 'the CIA are the good guys' premise.

This isn't the premise at all. It's much more complex and morally grey than that.

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's directed at dos4gw, I'm not sure exactly how you are confused about this

Oh, ok. Sorry! Someone earlier quoted me then rather cryptically linked to some of his posts, seemingly as part of his reply.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

This isn't the premise at all. It's much more complex and morally grey than that.

Like I said I haven't watched the whole series and it's true that there is some grey, but they are generally portrayed as being on the defensive against them drat terrists. When you consider the poo poo the real CIA has got up to, the agents in Homeland are saints in comparison.

Still a very good show, well worth watching though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

marktheando posted:

Like I said I haven't watched the whole series and it's true that there is some grey, but they are generally portrayed as being on the defensive against them drat terrists. When you consider the poo poo the real CIA has got up to, the agents in Homeland are saints in comparison.

Tits, I forgot it was on, hopefully it will be on 4oD

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

marktheando posted:

You need to watch the rest. Major spoilers: The whole thing is the CIA's fault because they blew up a school full of kids with an off-the-books drone strike.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Homeland is brilliant. There are plotholes there if you want to look for them, but it's a really enjoyable show. Really gets going around episode 6 or so.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
Being Human was the best episode of the series so far, but still weak compared to previous series. There was even a hint of actual character for the housemates this week, except of course for Annie.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Mediocre posted:

That's the one. I've been meaning to give Bellamy's People a go, was it no good?
Not no good by any means, just not really incredibly memorable or up there with the classics. Think I only watched a couple. Definitely worth a go at least.

I really enjoyed Homeland too. You can tell it shares some staff with 24 with its atmosphere and high-up conspiracy plots but is generally lot less silly. I enjoyed the second half of the series a lot more too, after it got its devious hooks in me.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I enjoyed Homeland a lot, feeling like a scrub for not having heard of it before.
Channel 4 advertised a "Make Bradford British" in which the Big Brother format fixes tensions in a multicultural society, with a sub-story where they make British citizens take the government's nationalism test, which could be more fun.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 19, 2012

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Idioteque Dance posted:

I really enjoyed Homeland too. You can tell it shares some staff with 24 with its atmosphere and high-up conspiracy plots but is generally lot less silly. I enjoyed the second half of the series a lot more too, after it got its devious hooks in me.

Yeah, it turns after they go to the cabin.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
This new Room 101 is terrible.
It used to be a sort of desert island discs for things people hated, now it's just a gimmicky comedy panel show with a bit of riffing then Frank arbitrarily picks one.

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

DaWolfey posted:

It used to be a sort of desert island discs for things people hated, now it's just a gimmicky comedy panel show with a bit of riffing then Frank arbitrarily picks one.

What happened to Frank Skinner? He used to be funny, then went away and now he's just a boring old man.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Frank Skinner used to be funny?

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Flipswitch posted:

Frank Skinner used to be funny?

Funny looking maybe :downsrim:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ouch! Bit of an offshoot here though gents as it's been bugging the poo poo out of me:

In one of Charlie Brooker's Screenwipes there is a section with a little robot which yells out "bullshit detected!". I've been trying to track it down to no avail, does any Goon by the offhand remember if it was Screenwipe or Newswipe? Even an episode potentially as I've been trying to track it down.

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

m0isty posted:

Oh, ok. Sorry! Someone earlier quoted me then rather cryptically linked to some of his posts, seemingly as part of his reply.

Oh yeah, dos4gw occasionally pops into the D&D thread and drops his poo poo filled posts in there and has already been probated twice for it so I just wanted to familiarise everyone with his past post crimes, nothing to do with you, soz.

e:not that your post wasn't racist, you should read that pdf linked at the top of the page

le chat fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 20, 2012

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

le chat posted:

Oh yeah, dos4gw occasionally pops into the D&D thread and drops his poo poo filled posts in there and has already been probated twice for it so I just wanted to familiarise everyone with his past post crimes, nothing to do with you, soz.

Fuckin gippos came and stole me account and made shitposts with 'em m8.

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW

Flipswitch posted:

Ouch! Bit of an offshoot here though gents as it's been bugging the poo poo out of me:

In one of Charlie Brooker's Screenwipes there is a section with a little robot which yells out "bullshit detected!". I've been trying to track it down to no avail, does any Goon by the offhand remember if it was Screenwipe or Newswipe? Even an episode potentially as I've been trying to track it down.

Do you mean Truth Bot?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

DaWolfey posted:

In the last episode I actually felt Frank Skinner lose interest in the whole thing half way through, if the person being paid to host the programme can't be bothered pretending to like it there's not much hope really.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I'm actually enjoying the two new character in Being Human much more than Mitchell and George. I always thought Mitchell was far to angsty, and George was a bit too soft for my liking. So far I've actually enjoyed this series a lot more than previous series', although I'm sure that puts me in the minority.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

gwaaargh posted:

Do you mean Truth Bot?
I love you, you, you, you star, you.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

DaWolfey posted:

Everything is a loving panel show nowadays. The other day I saw some lovely programme called The Mad Bad Ad show. It was full of terrible comedians watching the Smash adverts from the 1970s and making smartarse comments. I can just imagine the pitch for that one "People LOVE old adverts, and they love panel shows! Mark Dolan is very much available, genius!"

The worst one ever was the David Walliams thing, even the trailers couldn't decide what the gently caress it was supposed to be about.

Fake edit: An advert just came on for a panel show with Alexander Armstrong. Agh.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

netally posted:

Fake edit: An advert just came on for a panel show with Alexander Armstrong. Agh.

He should be the permanent HIGNFY host, I reckon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Serious post: John Sargent should be HIGNFY perma-host.