Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

MaliciousOnion posted:

The Captain's Cabin (4191) comes with two zombies. I think they're the same as the Queen Anne's Revenge ones.

Those are supposed to be zombies? I always thought they were just Caribbean tribal warriors or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

VaultAggie posted:

If you want a Dracula, there's always the Movie Set series Legos. They're probably expensive as hell by now though but they had a lot of the typical monsters.

I found the old movie set vampire a few months ago in one of my unpacked boxes from when I was in university. He looks much better, and had a nice cape than the mini fig one.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I finished my second Friends vehicle, Olivia's "Flash"

Olivia isn't the sort to be hampered by what's possible, so she designed a rocket. To help her navigate, she built a robotic helper, SNAFU (Stellar Navigation Artificial Friend Unit). So that's 2 Friends down, and three to go.

I am in love with this, can I get a parts list and/or step-step, or something?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Help, I'm about to splash £80 on the VW Camper, somebody stop me!

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Do it. It's beauuuutiful. I still swoon over it every day.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Why cookie Rocket posted:

It's been 10 years since the Roman history classes I took in college but I think they're just grunts. If we had proper feathers to stick in the hole in the top (side-to-side, not mohawk-wise), it'd designate them as some kind of officer. Maybe Centurion (commander of 100 soldiers)?

I think they're Legionaries. And I'm so drat jealous of you guys for getting any.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The_Doctor posted:

You know we're all enablers here.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

You know we're all enablers here.
I know, I know. It's like saying 'help, I'm thinking about loving my dog' in a dog-loving forum. No-one will ever say 'have you tried thinking about something else?'

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The_Doctor posted:

I know, I know. It's like saying 'help, I'm thinking about loving my dog' in a dog-loving forum. No-one will ever say 'have you tried thinking about something else?'

Well, if your LEGO addiction ever gets too serious and you have to go cold turkey, you could always mail your bricks to some of us.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

The_Doctor posted:

Have you ever tried thinking about something else?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Legos are BOGO 50% at Toys R Us. Hooray.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

It's been 10 years since the Roman history classes I took in college but I think they're just grunts. If we had proper feathers to stick in the hole in the top (side-to-side, not mohawk-wise), it'd designate them as some kind of officer. Maybe Centurion (commander of 100 soldiers)?

Their kit is generally consistent with early Imperial Rome (say, first century CE) apart from the spear, which had been largely phased out by then in favor of the gladius.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The_Doctor posted:

you could gently caress your dog instead.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Sockser posted:

you could gently caress your dog instead.

Why not do both? The world is your oyster!

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Was checking out my local craigslist when I came across this

Pirate Legos

I've seen it on there a few times, what the hell does he have in there that its $1500(seen it originally at like 1900). I've seen some of them on ebay for like 10-30, but 16 piece set, that's almost 100 bucks for each one. I know the larger ones are gonna be more $$$ but jesus. Is there a thousand dollar piece in there?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DrChud posted:

Was checking out my local craigslist when I came across this

Pirate Legos

I've seen it on there a few times, what the hell does he have in there that its $1500(seen it originally at like 1900). I've seen some of them on ebay for like 10-30, but 16 piece set, that's almost 100 bucks for each one. I know the larger ones are gonna be more $$$ but jesus. Is there a thousand dollar piece in there?

They're all sealed boxes and there are a few large/rare sets in there. Glancing at Bricklink that collection could be pushing $1000 for someone who gave a poo poo about collecting mint in box sets.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Their kit is generally consistent with early Imperial Rome (say, first century CE) apart from the spear, which had been largely phased out by then in favor of the gladius.

Yeah, the spear is a serious cheap-out move. Lego transparently did not want to mold a gladius. Oh well, the fact that we got the helmet makes it a near-certainty that we'll see a line with Roman soldiers in future. Maybe they'll have gladii. :)

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Yeah, the spear is a serious cheap-out move. Lego transparently did not want to mold a gladius. Oh well, the fact that we got the helmet makes it a near-certainty that we'll see a line with Roman soldiers in future. Maybe they'll have gladii. :)

The Gladiator from season 5 came with one. I guess they wanted to avoid reusing the part so soon.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Is the Galactic Enforcer worth the price? The local Walmart has had it on clearance for months, and I've been on the fence for quite a while, but today I noticed there are only two left, so I'd better decide fast.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Now you have to buy more gladiators from S5 to round out you legionnaires from S6.

Their plan was perfect all along! :v:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Better than the butter knife sword that used to be a Lego mainstay.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

memy posted:

Is the Galactic Enforcer worth the price? The local Walmart has had it on clearance for months, and I've been on the fence for quite a while, but today I noticed there are only two left, so I'd better decide fast.

I think it's a great set, but the plastic quality on mine is terrible. Some of the pieces are so loose that they fell off when I flipped it upside down to build the underside. It's the only set I've ever had with this problem. I still think it was worth it overall, especially since I got mine on clearance too.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

memy posted:

I like the set a lot, but it does suffer from its play features. The cells are flimsy and goofy-looking because you're supposed to be able to shoot them open. The engine pods are ugly because they shoehorned and simplified a separate ship design into the engine pod role. I've been meaning to redesign the ship, but I've been lazy.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

memy posted:

Different parts of the set are really different in terms of fun. The cockpit section is great and swooshable, but the prison segment is kind of fragile and not that great. As a giant ship it's pretty pretty bulky and a little fragile. You could definitely do worse, though; the quad lasers in the back are pretty great (if really simple) and if nothing else you can pull the cockpit off, chase Brick Daddy down, and pretend that the prison cell is a stationary prison block. Or, you know, build your own giant ship.

I'm not a huge Space fan, though (Brick Daddy needed friends), so YMMV.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

I am in love with this, can I get a parts list and/or step-step, or something?

I doubt I'll ever make proper instructions for it, but I will post some exploded pictures soon. The body is built around a core of these on a single technic axle, so it's actually fairly simple. Two sets of those, one turned upside down allow for a six-sided shape, and that's all it is.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

memy posted:

How much are they on clearance for? Email me at captaininvictus@gmail.com , I might be interested in one if you'd be willing to ship one.

FauxR34L
Feb 27, 2005
Serious Business

Pyroclastic posted:

I've been meaning to redesign the ship, but I've been lazy.

I tried, but got a bit carried away:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That is really sweet. Also how's that helicopter build?

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
Little bit of Lego-related news:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/feb/23/lego-owner-german-wind-farm

"Lego will not use the energy for its production, but chief executive Joergen Vid Knudstorp said the investment is part of the company's ambition "of making a positive impact on the world"."
Oh Lego :allears:

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
If any UK goons missed it before the Power Boat Transporter is back in stock and back down to £10 (67% off) at Amazon. Don't know how long it will last. I got mine :)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Gravy Jones posted:

If any UK goons missed it before the Power Boat Transporter is back in stock and back down to £10 (67% off) at Amazon. Don't know how long it will last. I got mine :)

Thanks for that! :)

Aww poo poo the big truck is only £16.89: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002Y5XJDE/ref=pe_thx_sims_2

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

88h88 posted:

Aww poo poo the big truck is only £16.89: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002Y5XJDE/ref=pe_thx_sims_2

Dem wee Lego boxes :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A store nearby has a bunch of Lego on clearance, stacks of UFO Abduction sets for 21 bucks each, a bunch of the big Mater Cars 2 set for half off, the Toy Story Train for 40, Queen Anne's Revenge for 60(when I picked it up the side opened and dumped everything on the floor, everything looks to be there though), some other Cars 2/Toy Story/POTC sets for generally large discounts. Any of them seem like good investments? I'm guessing I should grab the Train/QAR and hold onto those for a while, yeah?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I thought I'd share the instructions to a small classic Space Police set.

It's pretty easy to make, obviously, and the parts should be fairly easy to come by, except, of course, the one slope with "Space Police" printed on it. But that's easily subsituted.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Red posted:

It's pretty easy to make, obviously, and the parts should be fairly easy to come by, except, of course, the one slope with "Space Police" printed on it. But that's easily subsituted.

Wow this post made nostalgia hit me like a sledgehammer. I never got any of the big sets (except the spyrius robot :neckbeard:) but I always got the micro sets. I'm sure I have all these bits still, I should throw this together tonight. Maybe I'll put my aquanauts sub back together while I'm at it.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 23, 2012

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Space epaulettes own.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

dj-bbq posted:

I tried, but got a bit carried away:

That absolutely owns.

e: also, more pictures please. Is there an interior?

Shuppiluliumas fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 23, 2012

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Based on a couple of request and the fact that I've gone slightly insane I'm playing around with creating a url based query system for legoogel and as a result LORQ IS COMING!

Red posted:

I like the hinged windscreen. My biggest annoyance with the new "easy build" city sets when I get them for my kid is the fact that most of them need you to pull the roof off to get the driver in and out :argh:

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Red posted:

I don't recognize that large SNOT brick thing. Is that still around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

SinetheGuy posted:

I don't recognize that large SNOT brick thing. Is that still around?

The most recent one I can find is 1999: http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/6061

I have one from my Saucer Centurion (comes with two in red), but I had to jerry-rig a second because I seem to have lost it.