Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

A5H posted:

Nokia are bringing out a phone with a 41 megapixel camera. Lmao.

It's an interesting idea, either having legit digital zoom without much loss or lots of pixel binning to downsize to a low noise 5 mp image. Too bad it's in a symbian phone, if it was wp7 or android it would get a lot more attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Shmoogy posted:

Too bad it's in a symbian phone, if it was wp7 or android it would get a lot more attention.

Agreed. Only a matter of time, though.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Seeing as historical colour photography has come up I think it's worth posting these again: http://www.shorpy.com/image/tid/179 Amazing large format Kodachrome images from the second world war.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Awkward Davies posted:

This picture is incredible

:lol:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56090579@N02/5514675020/

"Bitches, please :smug:"

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Anybody used piRAWnha, or similar RAW editors for iPad? Is there a favorite out there?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Aatrek posted:

Anybody used piRAWnha, or similar RAW editors for iPad? Is there a favorite out there?

I tried one or two of them, not sure of the names, but I didn't really find them to be all that useful.

The only one I found to be moderately useful was photosmith.

It lets me unload my memory card onto ipad and tag photos for lightroom. It can then wifi sync everything back to my laptop when I'm at home, tags included. It's fairly slow and has a few problems, but they have been teasing the 2.0 version for a while so I hope it lives up to expectations.

e: To clarify, no editing on it, just tagging with stars/colors/marking for deletion. I didn't find the editors to be all that awesome.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

East Lake posted:

On the flip side here's some of the most insane footage I've ever seen in Syria.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyQIv5wyYGE&feature=share

Are there more videos like these anywhere? This is the most intense and horrifying thing I've ever seen.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
I'd be concerned about editing RAWs on a screen I can't calibrate but that's me. Unless the iPad is way ahead of where I think it is.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

XTimmy posted:

I'd be concerned about editing RAWs on a screen I can't calibrate but that's me. Unless the iPad is way ahead of where I think it is.
Datacolor offers iPad users a way to calibrate their iPad with the Spyder 3: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/5/26/datacoloriPad

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Ginormous images from Salto Ángel in Venezuela:
http://www.airpano.ru/files/Angel-Waterfall-Venezuela/start_e.html

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
a collection of new york times photographs that didn't make the cut. they made a tumblr out of them.

http://livelymorgue.tumblr.com/

Here's more info:
http://livelymorgue.tumblr.com/about

this is why print journalism will always beat the web log/whatever newfangled approach. the sheer history and archives.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

Awkward Davies posted:

This picture is incredible

I sort of see a lot in this photo. I'm on a loving iPhone so verbosity is impossible but she really looks like she knows her place in history. Like for example, when Kennedy dies, I'm sure she told everyone to freeze. "remember what you're doing gents, make it sound good. Somebody might want to write an oral history about this."

She probably died in the war, I just think she had her poo poo together. This is what a time traveller would look like. Not the guy in a Chaplin film with a mobile phone or the chick with a satnav on a horse in a renaissance painting.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

ShadeofBlue posted:

Why stop at f0.4?

The Carl Zeiss Super-Q Gigantar, 40mm f0.33.

It doesn't produce an image, it was a one-of built in response to people bitching about Zeiss making slow lenses. Supposedly it is impossible to build a lens faster than f0.5 that actually produces an image.

Just take your lens off and take pictures open body. What's the F# on that?

Edit : oops just realized I was replying to something a few pages ago.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

ease posted:

Just take your lens off and take pictures open body. What's the F# on that?

Edit : oops just realized I was replying to something a few pages ago.

I think that would be like trying to look at something without having any eyes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RangerScum posted:

I think that would be like trying to look at something without having any eyes.

Or rather, eyes that see everything all the time.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

xzzy posted:

Or rather, eyes that see everything all the time.

Man I really feel like doing some drugs right now.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

A true hipster, spotted in the wild by my gf.

Read the underlined text. Who admits these things?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

someone who carries THREE moleskins

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
This is why i can't get a lynx for a reaonable price around these parts :negative:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

someone who carries THREE moleskins

Moleskine means you're sophisticated and deep, so clearly he's triple sophisticated, duh.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Moleskine means you're sophisticated and deep, so clearly he's triple sophisticated, duh.

3xMoleskine+1xMac=She's super creative. And in case you don't believe it, the "vintage" camera solidifies it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

As someone with two (2) Moleskines and two (2) vintage cameras on my desk RIGHT NOW in addition to a Mac, I have to agree. I am a very creative person. Look at my things, they prove it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Moleskines are also used heavily by physicists (and probably scientists from all walks) so it could also mean you are a gigantic nerd. :colbert:

fakeedit - they also use macs

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Martytoof posted:

As someone with two (2) Moleskines and two (2) vintage cameras on my desk RIGHT NOW in addition to a Mac, I have to agree. I am a very creative person. Look at my things, they prove it.

But if you actually use them I'm going to have to dock points, sorry. Thems the rules.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
It really grinds my gears when people rebuttal my critique.

Him: Hey guys give me critique on this photo.
Me: Right side looks fantastic, lots of detail, left side looks far too blown out, needs more detail.
Him: jokes on you i did that on purpose. The blown out part is suppose to be the sun, so it makes sense.
Me: :rolleyes:

If it needs an explanation as to "why it looks good", maybe it's not?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

PREYING MANTITS posted:

But if you actually use them I'm going to have to dock points, sorry. Thems the rules.

Yea they're just for show. Bonus bonus points if you got them pre-worn/used.

Disclaimer: I have 2 moleskines and a few vintage cameras. I guess that makes me a hypocrite. Then again, I use them all.

Cyberbob posted:

Me: Right side looks fantastic, lots of detail, left side looks far too blown out, needs more detail.
Him: jokes on you i did that on purpose. The blown out part is suppose to be the sun, so it makes sense.

Were they perhaps looking for a Flickr-type critique? That would explain that.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 1, 2012

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
It was on the Fstoppers Facebook group, so I kinda expected slightly higher standards of people than your average Flickr group.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
Moleskines suck. That is all.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Is Picassa any good?

I haven't used it for a long time (I have LR) - but the family PC has a lot of photos on it and they need organising. Editing will be crop and resizing for email only. should be extremely user-friendly for unkilled users.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Mathturbator posted:

they definitely jumped the shark with the star wars and lego themed ones.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spog posted:

Is Picassa any good?

I haven't used it for a long time (I have LR) - but the family PC has a lot of photos on it and they need organising. Editing will be crop and resizing for email only. should be extremely user-friendly for unkilled users.
That's pretty much what it does.

The google viewer that comes with it is also excellent.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Cyberbob posted:

Yup, pretty much.

In a print competition, images need to stand on their own. Nobody's there to tell the judges why something is the way it is, or to give the backstory behind the shot. The picture is supposed to do that by itself... that's the challenge.

If one side of a picture is intentionally blown out, it's the job of the artist to build up enough context in the rest of the image to make it obvious WHY to the viewer. Just saying "It's supposed to be that way" doesn't give anyone a free pass.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Cyberbob posted:

I think you need to link the shot here so we can ALL give the person a hard time.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mathturbator posted:

My god, it's a notebook. Do you really waste so much energy on having such crazy opinions on notebooks?

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

Awkward Davies posted:

My god, it's a notebook. Do you really waste so much energy on having such crazy opinions on notebooks?

With regards to waste of energy, your reply was roughly four times the character count of mine. You decide.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I have some moleskins I stole from work.
Makes them even better imo.
:getin:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cyberbob posted:

Look Cyberbob, I'm sorry you just don't get my photography.

I'll have you know this selective colour holga print won several Flickr awards and is prominently featured on a number of flickr galleries.

So clearly you just don't know what you're talking about.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Look Cyberbob, I'm sorry you just don't get my photography.

I'll have you know this selective colour holga print won several Flickr awards and is prominently featured on a number of flickr galleries.

So clearly you just don't know what you're talking about.

Were they glittery gif flickr awards, because anything else does not count.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mathturbator posted:

With regards to waste of energy, your reply was roughly four times the character count of mine. You decide.

I had anger to burn. It was a net gain for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

Awkward Davies posted:

I had anger to burn. It was a net gain for me.

Glad I could help :hfive: