Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.
^ Or a seax. Or a one-handed sword.

I recommend the sword.

So, regarding Roxy's mom and Dirk's bro: I'm wondering if they were never alive during Roxy's and Dirk's lifetimes and instead they are more like troll ancestors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Well, sure, Dirk may have suggested as much at one point. (This was one of the hints pointing at the future thing.)

quote:

TT: That they are not presently alive nor ever played that role for us as she understands it is just an extension of a much more elaborate and far reaching explanation, which is much harder for anyone to digest in its entirety.

It's not confirmation of any particular timeframe, of course, but I would say it's pretty likely that Dirk and Roxy live late enough to have had no direct contact with B2 Dave and Rose, who presumably didn't live too long past rebranding day.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
I made something today to test my new capture device and video editing skills, as well as piss off all my friends.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1cgR-pKjkQ

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Orange Harrison posted:

I made something today to test my new capture device and video editing skills, as well as piss off all my friends.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1cgR-pKjkQ

Man, that guy doesn't sound like Rick Astley at all!

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
http://homestuck.bandcamp.com/album/scratched-fanmusic-album

This link worked for about a minute. All I know is that Witching Hour, the condence song, is on there.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Oh god, of all times to lose my credit card

aaaaugh

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

tinaun posted:

This link worked for about a minute. All I know is that Witching Hour, the condence song, is on there.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

tinaun posted:

Did you catch the number of songs and/or price?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Radiation on his Tumblr said there were over 50 songs chosen, which is boggling.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Snollygoster posted:

I think you mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

tinaun posted:

Oh god must get money ready to throw at screen.

Also Scratched is a pretty good name for it.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.
Based on the way UU talks about Rose's culture, it sounds like UU (and presumably uu too) does not live on the Condesce's Earth, or any Earth for that matter.

quote:

TG: wonder if i can tell distri withoup lookin like a waffle assed chump
UU: what's a waffle arsed chUmp?
UU: is it earth cUisine? :u~

Hence there are two possibilities: She lives/d on Alternia (or one of the moons), or she was born in her session and lived there her entire life. The latter would be a pretty good explanation for her encyclopedic knowledge of the game.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Lady of the Beech posted:

Hence there are two possibilities: She lives/d on Alternia (or one of the moons), or she was born in her session and lived there her entire life. The latter would be a pretty good explanation for her encyclopedic knowledge of the game.

Thing is I'm pretty sure she's stated outright she's about to enter her session.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

YF-23 posted:

Thing is I'm pretty sure she's stated outright she's about to enter her session.

Then it's not that. Dammit.

I guess she lived on Alternia or one of the moons, then.

It would be interesting to see an Sburb player who never made it on a meteor and thus has been living in the session their entire life, though.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There was an ad about visiting Mars on Jane's computer, maybe sea trolls live on the flooded Earth and land trolls hang out on Mars?

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

YggiDee posted:

There was an ad about visiting Mars on Jane's computer, maybe sea trolls live on the flooded Earth and land trolls hang out on Mars?

I think that was a way to round up humans and put them somewhere, for whatever purpose, seeing as the ad was being shown to humans using crocker products.

To emass an army, maybe? I can't imagine that the ad would snag every human being exposed to it, but a good number, certainly.

To remove Earth's most important people by selectively targeting them with these ads?

Lady of the Beech fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 11, 2012

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
It might still just be the Condesce and her drones out there.

I'm sure if she still had brigades of Archeradicators, Threshecutioners and such that they would be sent instead of the admittedly impressive dudes rocketing in whose primary task is milking trolls for DNA.

(I do think she's doing all this in her own way, with the best of intentions for Trolls now as when she was guided to make the most oppressive regime imaginable outside of 40K)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Bell_ posted:

admittedly impressive dudes rocketing in whose primary task is milking trolls for DNA.
No, I'm pretty sure the trolls are supposed to have the DNA ready when they show up.

Their primary task is to kill anyone who doesn't.

They aren't milkmaids--- they're that guy with the bolter who puts down the cows who have run dry.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

Thank you for the lovely mental image of an imperial drone milking a troll for [presumably] haploid genetic material.

Dirk's ink is so sick that it just emanates jpg artifacts out of the skin like some sort of mystic aura. Now that must have been one legendary tattooist. Could have been Dirk himself. I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Lady of the Beech fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 11, 2012

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

tinaun posted:

I'd be right in calling BS if fifty songs made it but Witching Hour didn't. That song is good enough to be flash material. Too bad the Condesce has already been getting a lot of flash screentime as it is, so the chances of that might be less likely..

Thank you for the lovely mental image of an imperial drone milking a troll for [presumably] haploid genetic material.

Dirk's ink is so sick that it just emanates jpg artifacts out of the skin like some sort of mystic aura. Now that must have been one legendary tattooist. Could have been Dirk himself. I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

It wouldn't surprise me, if there's anyone who can move fast enough to tattoo his own arm..

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

So I'm going through some of the albums again, and right now I'm sorta daydreaming of someone making a mirror of homestuck that would play the appropriate songs in the albums during the non-flash pages where they are appropriate. For instance, Trial and Execution for Terezi and Vriska's post-coinflip faceoff, and Galactic Cancer for when Karkat, well, is telling Jade he gave the universe cancer.

They'd probably have to build a music player into the site, which would keep playing between pages and would ideally warn you when a new song was about to start.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I'm sitting and comparing the two masters of Chrystamanthequins side by side on a set of iHome9 speakers on the loudest volume I can muster without disturbing my cats or anyone else in the house.

I think I hear clips on the original that I don't hear on the remastered version, but I'm not entirely sure because both songs have a pretty "grainy" texture. Drums are a little sharper on the remastered version too.

All in all the imperfections sound pretty minute to me and only manifest themselves when compared with a properly mastered version. The fact that the song has a pretty "grainy" (distorted? my repertoire of audio-related technical terminology is pretty small) texture helps to mask the clipping.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

I'm sitting and comparing the two masters of Chrystamanthequins side by side on a set of iHome9 speakers on the loudest volume I can muster without disturbing my cats or anyone else in the house.

I think I hear clips on the original that I don't hear on the remastered version, but I'm not entirely sure because both songs have a pretty "grainy" texture. Drums are a little sharper on the remastered version too.

All in all the imperfections sound pretty minute to me and only manifest themselves when compared with a properly mastered version. The fact that the song has a pretty "grainy" (distorted? my repertoire of audio-related technical terminology is pretty small) texture helps to mask the clipping.

The difference is night and day in my headphones and speakers - Sennheiser HD595 and M-Audio AV40, respectively. You can also see it very easily if you drop the tracks in Audacity and look at the peaks:

This goes double if you A/B between them while they're playing. But that said, if your speakers can't let you hear the difference, well, you won't hear the difference.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Looks like we're not getting a recap this intermission. :stare:

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

I NEED A COMBINATION OF :stare: AND :ohdear: STAT!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Midnight Raider posted:

Looks like we're not getting a recap this intermission. :stare:

Yeah, holy poo poo. Something big is about to happen. :ohdear:

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!
"Hey look an upda-OH GOD HE'S ALREADY HERE"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
What will the comic be called if the title character dies? We can't just keep calling it Ms. Paint Adventures, that doesn't make sense!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:wtc: I did not expect that.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

He is already finally here.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

This is absolutely terrifying.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

Holy poo poo I hope Hussie himself doesn't get killed. Then who would tell the rest of the story?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

:sbahj:

Well I did not expect this, I did not expect this at all

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Well! I wasn't looking for that.

Holy poo poo I hope Hussie himself doesn't get killed. Then who would tell the rest of the story?

Lord English, obviously. It'll be a bit annoying to read since all the narration will be in giant multicoloured letters sprinkled with billiard balls, though.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

And here I thought the first thing Lord English would do after traveling through time would be to find a classier change of clothes, perhaps by moving to a point in the timeline when Stitch was alive.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Um.

Um.

UM!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Best character time.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

This is an interesting way to build drama and Dread.

Homestuck's a pretty lighthearted comic - even during Horrorstuck, murder, horrible implications and whatnot - that proposes massive consequences then deftly undermines or sidesteps them. It doesn't want to get bogged down, after all. This is appropriate when teh comic's building momentum, no need to exhaust us on something that isn't the climax.

The Final Boss, though, the Great Evil who is meant to justify the complexity of the plot that came before by the weight of his narrative significance, that's somebody who needs to at least carry in himself an aura of Dread.

Remember when Doc Scratch would take over the comic or the narration? How we couldn't order him around? It was a way to impress upon us his omniscience, the perfection of his plans, convey his personality using the unique mediums afforded by the comic.

Lord English works the same way. Only he's going to use it to build up his aura of fear, right up to a meta-level (is my bet what's happening here, anyway). The authour-insert thing has always been a meta-joke thing that somehow reassures us that the story is somehow under control, that nothing can get too serious since Hussie is on hand to make it wacky.

If Lord English is here to cause some damage, it might be one the greatest indicators that poo poo is getting real in terms of the comic's tone and conventions so far.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
Guys, don't worry. He's clearly just visiting for a cup of tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Calling it right now that Lord English almost kills Hussie then leaves, but Hussie gets to his inexplicable quest bed he has in his house and resurrects as the Chump of Shoosh