Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
Is John Marsden's 'Tomorrow series' any good? I recently saw the film on TV and I really liked the plot but I thought some parts seemed a bit flat, such as that religious girl breaking and shooting a bunch of people. I mean I knew it was going to happen eventually but it was very sudden and completely ignored for what was left of the film, among other things. Are the books any better? They're also YA novels which puts me off a bit but then again I love The Hobbit and that's a children's book so whatever. If they're junk are there any good books with this sort of invasion theme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
I recently finsihed 'The End of Mr. Y' and absolutely loved everything about it. What else might I enjoy next?

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

ArcticZombie posted:

Is John Marsden's 'Tomorrow series' any good? I recently saw the film on TV and I really liked the plot but I thought some parts seemed a bit flat, such as that religious girl breaking and shooting a bunch of people. I mean I knew it was going to happen eventually but it was very sudden and completely ignored for what was left of the film, among other things. Are the books any better? They're also YA novels which puts me off a bit but then again I love The Hobbit and that's a children's book so whatever. If they're junk are there any good books with this sort of invasion theme?

I think the books are much, much better than the movie. The events are explained a little more, and the characterisations aren't quite as 2D. There are some parts of the movie that I really liked, but I can read those books over and over again. Take that as you will. The scene you refer to didn't happen in the book, but there's a scene in the third one that's handled a lot better. For the most part, the movie seemed somewhat diluted.

Patrovsky fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 6, 2012

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Anyway, I imagine with the recent vampire craze there's been a lot of lovely books written about vampires, but has there been anything actually worth reading? In other words, any books that do vampires and supernatural poo poo pretty much the opposite of Twilight.

It's not new but you should try The Keep by F Paul Wilson. It's a very different take on vampires set in a Nazi occupied castle in Transylvania.

If you're looking for something lighter and more fun along the lines of Buffy or Vampire Diaries I would try The Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger. I just am finishing up the last one and really enjoyed them. It's like an older Buffy set in a steampunk world. I like her take on the supernatural and vampires in general, it's different. The writing is lively and though there is romance it's not *too* teen angsty. I would say it would be like if Oscar Wilde decided to write a Buffy novel.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, just wondering about whether any of you guys could recommend me a book involving the tunnel rats from the Vietnam War? Since my dad told me about a book he read a little while back that had the prologue set in that period, which naturally ultimately related to what the main character was going through in the main part of the novel itself. (if anyone can tell me what the title of it is, I'd also appreciate it, as my dad gave it away and regrets doing so. He also said that the prologue was also probably the most interesting part of the book, if that helps, heh) So yeah, basically both myself and my dad have been on the lookout for a book similar to that - although preferably taking place completely/mostly in that setting - for a little while, so I just thought I'd check with you guys as to whether or not you know of any like that. (This has been further kindled by the fact that we recently went to Vietnam and went to the Cu Chi tunnels, among other places, and got to see a whole heap of the traps and places there)

Thanks guys!

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Major Isoor posted:

So, just wondering about whether any of you guys could recommend me a book involving the tunnel rats from the Vietnam War? Since my dad told me about a book he read a little while back that had the prologue set in that period, which naturally ultimately related to what the main character was going through in the main part of the novel itself. (if anyone can tell me what the title of it is, I'd also appreciate it, as my dad gave it away and regrets doing so. He also said that the prologue was also probably the most interesting part of the book, if that helps, heh) So yeah, basically both myself and my dad have been on the lookout for a book similar to that - although preferably taking place completely/mostly in that setting - for a little while, so I just thought I'd check with you guys as to whether or not you know of any like that. (This has been further kindled by the fact that we recently went to Vietnam and went to the Cu Chi tunnels, among other places, and got to see a whole heap of the traps and places there)

Thanks guys!

That sounds an awful lot like Michael Connelly's The Black Echo, the first in the Harry Bosch series, a hardboiled procedural/thriller from 1992. The main character was a tunnel rat. In the acknowledgements, the author lists The Tunnels of Cu Chi by Tom Mangold & John Penycate as his source for background.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

dokmo posted:

That sounds an awful lot like Michael Connelly's The Black Echo, the first in the Harry Bosch series, a hardboiled procedural/thriller from 1992. The main character was a tunnel rat. In the acknowledgements, the author lists The Tunnels of Cu Chi by Tom Mangold & John Penycate as his source for background.

Aah yeah, I reckon that must be it, thanks. My dad reckoned it was good, so I might have to see if I can get it cheap somewhere, seeing as he sadly gave it away. (which I believed I mentioned earlier, but oh well, two times are better than one, right?)

But yeah, if anyone can think of/knows of other books like that (although I doubt it, seeing as it'd be difficult creating a plotline for something like being a tunnel rat, unless you just briefly touch on it, for instance) I would definitely appreciate it a lot, as my itch for reading more about it has grown in recent weeks

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Can anyone recommend a translation of Juvenal's Satires? I'm leaning towards the Penguin Classics edition, but Oxford's looks good too.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

What are some good works, fiction or non-fiction, that have to do with survival? Think Robinson Crusoe and Cast Away.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

It wasn't exactly my cup of tea but you might enjoy J. G. Ballard's Concrete Island, about a guy who crashes his car and gets trapped in a grassy patch of waste space at the intersection of three highways.

It was... different.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Urdnot Fire posted:

What are some good works, fiction or non-fiction, that have to do with survival? Think Robinson Crusoe and Cast Away.

Arctic Labyrinth: The Quest for the Northwest Passage (Glyn Williams)

The Man Who Ate His Boots: The Tragic History of the Search for the Northwest Passage (Anthony Brandt)

Both are essentially on the same topic, the English search for the northwest passage, but they approach it slightly differently. Both, especially the latter, have several tales of survival from several different attempts over the centuries. Both extensively cover the lost Franklin expedition. I don't know if you can really have spoilers with non-fiction, but that link is loaded with them.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Urdnot Fire posted:

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer is great.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I'm looking for a book/series that has either games(mainly gladiatorial)or trials that must be passed. Also putting a bunch of people in a death trap where they are systematically eliminated.

ie

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire- The Triwizard tourney
The Hunger Games -The actual games part
Battle Royale - Basically if I could read this book over again for the first time this would be ideal
The Lord of the Flies - Survival on an island

I'd be willing to delve into young adult if I have to

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Urdnot Fire posted:

The Coral Island by RM Ballantyne is one of my favourites. 3 boys are shipwrecked on an island. This is real 19th century boys own adventure writing - with pirates and gruesome cannibal scenes, better than the cotton wool stuff you get these days.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

Blitz7x posted:

I'm looking for a book/series that has either games(mainly gladiatorial)or trials that must be passed. Also putting a bunch of people in a death trap where they are systematically eliminated.

ie

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire- The Triwizard tourney
The Hunger Games -The actual games part
Battle Royale - Basically if I could read this book over again for the first time this would be ideal
The Lord of the Flies - Survival on an island

I'd be willing to delve into young adult if I have to

Stephen King really favored this subject matter in his earlier writing days as Richard Bachman. 2 in particular are The Long Walk and of course, The Running Man.

I read a novel by a Japanese author that was very much like Battle Royale in theme of games put on for a viewing audience called The Crimson Labyrinth . It's a little more sci-fi than Battle Royale but I read it on a plane and it held my interest enough for the flight.

There is also a young adult novel by James Dashner that came out after The Hunger Games became really popular called The Maze Runner. It's the first in a series, I believe the second one is out as well. I haven't read it though so your mileage may vary.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 22, 2016

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

The Life of Pi by Yann Martel. Very good ship-wreck, castaway fiction.

This book should be recommended every page just as a matter of principle. It's really loving good.

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.

Urdnot Fire posted:

cast-away fiction

Le Clézio's The Prospector is a good one, though he's never shipwrecked per se - read a lot to me like a modern rework of Robinson Crusoe.

There's a Coetzee riff on Crusoe as well but I can't remember the title. Friday or something?

edit: It's Foe.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I was recently captivated by the chapter in Bob Mould's autobiography about the time he spent writing for WCW Wrestling in the late nineties. I've never even watched a single wrestling match, but it was interesting to get a peek into the behind-the-scenes world of planning the story arcs and fights, the business side, and the way that real life interacts with the kayfabe.

What's a great book that captures this "behind the scenes" insider story of wrestling? It doesn't matter which company (WWF, WCW, etc.) it's about or anything like that, though I'd guess that the 1980's was really the height of the industry and it would be interesting to read about that era in particular.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Life of Pi is awesome, but if you're going to read that, there's no reason you can't read The Old Man and the Sea. That book is the poo poo.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I was recently captivated by the chapter in Bob Mould's autobiography about the time he spent writing for WCW Wrestling in the late nineties. I've never even watched a single wrestling match, but it was interesting to get a peek into the behind-the-scenes world of planning the story arcs and fights, the business side, and the way that real life interacts with the kayfabe.

What's a great book that captures this "behind the scenes" insider story of wrestling? It doesn't matter which company (WWF, WCW, etc.) it's about or anything like that, though I'd guess that the 1980's was really the height of the industry and it would be interesting to read about that era in particular.

There isn't anything that really gets to what you want because wrestling's history is very deep, has gone through a ton of company changes (territorial to national), and all the autobiographies are filled with bullshit because that's what it was built on.

It's been a long time since I've sought out any wrestling books (and even longer since I read this), but Sex, Lies and Headlocks (Shawn Assael/Mike Mooneyham) is possibly the best of the options for what you're looking for. The first edition is riddled with errors if I remember right, but I think most are corrected in the second. Since it's 10 years old, it of course doesn't hit any of the more recent craziness.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 22, 2016

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Here is a list of things I have enjoyed reading:

House of Leaves, Danielewski
American Gods, Gaiman
John Dies at the End, Wong
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Adams
Snow Crash, Stephenson
World War Z, Brooks
I've been reading through Discworld on and off as well, which I enjoy.

I know this is all kind of common knowledge awesome stuff, but I don't know where to go from here. I've explored these author's other works, as one might, and now I feel at a dead end. I'm a sucker for unexplained horror and weird poo poo happening, but not in the "oh my god it's eating her entire digestive tract!" sort of way.

I would prefer it be available on my Kindle, if at all possible. Please give me some awesome reads! Thanks.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 10, 2012

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Vegastar posted:

Please give me some awesome reads! Thanks.

I don't think it's available on the kindle, but The Watcher by Charles MacLean fits the unexplained horror bill, although it's more on the psychological side. It's a great mindfuck.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

elbow posted:

I don't think it's available on the kindle, but The Watcher by Charles MacLean fits the unexplained horror bill, although it's more on the psychological side. It's a great mindfuck.

It is on kindle, actually. Even better. Just bought it on the blurb and your recommendation alone, sounds like its right up my alley, thanks!

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Vegastar posted:

House of Leaves, Danielewski
American Gods, Gaiman
John Dies at the End, Wong
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Adams
Snow Crash, Stephenson
World War Z, Brooks
I've been reading through Discworld on and off as well, which I enjoy.

I know this is all kind of common knowledge awesome stuff, but I don't know where to go from here. I've explored these author's other works, as one might, and now I feel at a dead end. I'm a sucker for unexplained horror and weird poo poo happening, but not in the "oh my god it's eating her entire digestive tract!" sort of way.

I would prefer it be available on my Kindle, if at all possible. Please give me some awesome reads! Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Works-H-P-Lovecraft-ebook/dp/B0057JQ8C8/

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

I've read some of these stories, and while I enjoy them, the language throws off my experience a good bit. I have a hard time with the stiff writing of older stories, it's easier to get in to a story that flows in the same way I think in. I'm sure I'm missing out on some great stuff with that kind of attitude.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Vegastar posted:

You totally need to read Ryan Boudinot's Blueprints of the Afterlife and probably also Charles Yu's How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I agree that The Old Man and the Sea is "the poo poo," but the only two things the books have in common with each other is a boat and an ocean.

And the fact that they're both pretty drat allegorical.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
I'm looking for something with really good world building, as well as something that has massive events taking place (Mazalan etc. Armies, legions, or rather large scale and epic sort of things.

Read the Wheel of Time even though it was pretty long, the Malazan books, most of Sanderson's stuff, since he does it spectacularly.

I'd ideally like to have a longer series, since it allows for more of a story. Any help, or have I covered most of that sort of thing already?

Kinetica fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 10, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kinetica posted:

I'm looking for something with really good world building, as well as something that has massive events taking place (Mazalan etc. Armies, legions, or rather large scale and epic sort of things.

Read the Wheel of Time even though it was pretty long, the Malazan books, most of Sanderson's stuff, since he does it spectacularly.

I'd ideally like to have a longer series, since it allows for more of a story. Any help, or have I covered most of that sort of thing already?

Wheel of Time is the king of the doorstopper fantasies, but there are certainly other options. You could try Zelazny's Amber books, or Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun (though it's it's very high-concept littrachaw and more sci-fi than fantasy). There are about fifty of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books but they're more comic.

I guess the obvious next go-to if you haven't read it is Song of Ice and Fire by GRRM, but be ready for a 5+ year wait between books.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Seconding Discworld and A Song of Ice and Fire. Both, especially the former, have a lot of world-building that I found enjoyable.

Tolkien also did plenty of literally epic world-building for Middle-Earth spread across all his works.

As for me, what are some good (psychological) horror/thriller novels? Perhaps with some mystery woven in?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Urdnot Fire posted:

As for me, what are some good (psychological) horror/thriller novels? Perhaps with some mystery woven in?

The Haunting of Hill House (Shirley Jackson)
The House Next Door (Anne Rivers Siddons)

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
I'm trying to figure out which of these to grab with my SO Kindle deal. Narrowed it down to:

The Aquariums of Pyongyang: Ten Years in the North Korean Gulag by Chol-hwan Kang
Roots by Alex Haley
Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing
Dancing in the Glory of Monsters: The Collapse of the Congo and the Great War of Africa by Jason Stearns

Help me out? I prefer a less dry writing style, if any of these tend towards that.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Kinetica posted:

I'll recommend the Death Gate Cycle. I'm only on the third book out of seven, but so far the settings have been extremely interesting and the whole series has an overall sense of exploration and mystery. The Death Gate books aren't so much epic in the military sense, but more in the sense of lost cultures and puzzling technology and environments. I'd at least read the first book Dragon Wing, and continue on if you enjoy it.

Pauly Shore
May 3, 2009

Life's about greasing the 'do back, buddy, and wheezin' on the buff-fest
Any book recommendations concerning prison escapes/capture? Definitely enjoyed the Prison Break TV Series, and I'm digging the Breakout Kings series as well

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pauly Shore posted:

Any book recommendations concerning prison escapes/capture? Definitely enjoyed the Prison Break TV Series, and I'm digging the Breakout Kings series as well

Everything you read in this genre will be loosely based on the Count of Monte Cristo.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Everything you read in this genre will be loosely based on the Count of Monte Cristo.

It's a great book in its own right as well, so I'd definitely check it out.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Pauly Shore posted:

Papillon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spixxor posted:

I'm trying to figure out which of these to grab with my SO Kindle deal. Narrowed it down to:

The Aquariums of Pyongyang: Ten Years in the North Korean Gulag by Chol-hwan Kang
Roots by Alex Haley
Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing
Dancing in the Glory of Monsters: The Collapse of the Congo and the Great War of Africa by Jason Stearns

Help me out? I prefer a less dry writing style, if any of these tend towards that.

I just ordered Dancing in the Glory, but haven't received it yet. I hear it's really good.