Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Butt Wizard posted:

What can I do about a hundred+ midges invading my home every evening? They are gross.

Dude. Not cool. They prefer to be called "little people."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
What was the name of the show where by season 3 or 4, ratings had dropped so low that they abandoned the story and just filmed the cast doing whatever to fill out the rest of the season until cancellation?
Apparently it was incredibly surreal to watch.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

stubblyhead posted:

Is she hot?

You tell me. :smuggo:

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Butt Wizard posted:

What can I do about a hundred+ midges invading my home every evening? They are gross.

Pour some red wine or apple cider vinegar into a bowl until it's about an inch deep and add several drops of dish-washing detergent. The midges fly in to take a taste and sink straight to the bottom.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.
I had lunch at a taco truck we frequent at work today. Instead of the normal Jarrito they offered us "Pineapple Drink". It was delicious, pulpy and did not seem like straight pineapple juice from a can. Is this a popular Hispanic drink or just something they made for a hot day?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Ridonkulous posted:

I had lunch at a taco truck we frequent at work today. Instead of the normal Jarrito they offered us "Pineapple Drink". It was delicious, pulpy and did not seem like straight pineapple juice from a can. Is this a popular Hispanic drink or just something they made for a hot day?

Sounds like an agua fresca, which is made with lots of different fresh fruits. My favorites are watermelon and strawberry. I'm so loving jealous envious of you right now.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Can anyone suggest a good small free piece of software that I can use to keep track of order/addresses of people who buy stuff? And if anyone knew very simple inventory management software built into something like that it'd be awesome.

What about looking through Google Docs' inventory of spreadsheet templates?
Here's the link:
https://docs.google.com/templates?type=spreadsheets
There's a hajillion so sorr that I haven't dug deeper.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Freakbox posted:

Small Question Thread- Is it okay//appropriate to tip my Fedex guy ((I'm in the USA)) if I leave special instructions for a package? I have an electronic device coming in the mail tomorrow but it's set to rain; I work graveyard, so I may not be up to get it if it comes early. I was going to leave a note with my signature//the order number and ask if they could place it in a plastic tub on the porch so it wouldn't get soaked.

Would it just be polite to tip him for asking that he do extra? I wanna be nice to him! I usually just leave them hand baked cookies. :3: I've gotten a few thank you notes for that. I don't bake specifically FOR my mailpeople- I just bake way too much! They get a lot of freebies.

How come you use a double slash? I've never seen that before.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

hooah posted:

How come you use a double slash? I've never seen that before.

Double slashes, double parentheses, and a random capitalised word?
This person is insane, do not look their posts directly in the eye.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Can anyone suggest a good small free piece of software that I can use to keep track of order/addresses of people who buy stuff? And if anyone knew very simple inventory management software built into something like that it'd be awesome.

It's not free but if you have MS office there's a ton of free inventory/order templates for access:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/inventory-management-database-TC001018458.aspx

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What is the meaning of the hand gesture where someone puts their thumb between their first and second fingers?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Anjow posted:

What is the meaning of the hand gesture where someone puts their thumb between their first and second fingers?

Googling for "hand gestures" brought me to a relevant wikipedia page and searching that page for "thumb" quickly brought up the fig sign.

Short answer: It depends, but it's usually not good.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Anjow posted:

The only one I can think of is when you "steal" a kids nose.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Anjow posted:

In HS my friends and I did this with both hands to signal each other about a nearby female who was nippin. :)

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
What is the photography effect called when it looks like real life images are images of miniatures ?

Edit: googling for my answer was easier than i thought...(its "tilt shift")

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
So that your post isn't a huge waste, learn something new!

The technique (prior to digital alteration) was accomplished using a lens called a "swing-tilt" lens, and it's original purpose was to photograph tall buildings or other large planes of focus that would otherwise have large portions of the image out of focus, or a perspective that appeared unnatural. :science:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilt-shift_photography

Monocular
Jul 29, 2003

Sugartime Jones
Please help me not kill the plants in my office.

This one has a label that says "colorama" on it, but I've found conflicting info online about how much water to give it. They used to be lively and now they're all droopy and sad. It has a fast-draining soil, so should I be watering it every day?

I have no idea what the hell this one is, much less how much I should water it. I've been doing it once a week. As you can see the leaves are slowly turning brown so I must be messing it up.

Thanks!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Is there any way to heal (or help heal) an injury underneath a fingernail?

I haven't cut my nails recently, and the one on my thumb got a bit long. Was doing something, and in the process bent my nail backward with an auditory crack, before snapping back into place. It's sore, and there's a little dark red line under the thumb-nail where I'm sure I caused some damage. Nothing major, but still.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!
Quick rule of thumb: if they droop and turn yellow, you're watering it too much. If they turn brown and shrivel up, you need to water it more. So

1st plant, less water.

2nd plant, more water.

Plant food would also help.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Is there a name for when you hang some white/light-coloured canvas in front of, and slightly separated from, the sun-facing wall (or roof) of your house to keep your house cooler in the summer? I'm looking for implementation tips (e.g. how to design it to not go crazy on a windy day) but I'm not sure how to search.
It's considered a "green home improvement," a.k.a. a really obvious cheap trick to cool your house for nearly free.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

alnilam posted:

Is there a name for when you hang some white/light-coloured canvas in front of, and slightly separated from, the sun-facing wall (or roof) of your house to keep your house cooler in the summer? I'm looking for implementation tips (e.g. how to design it to not go crazy on a windy day) but I'm not sure how to search.
It's considered a "green home improvement," a.k.a. a really obvious cheap trick to cool your house for nearly free.

I scanned and didn't see that exact method, but I think it would fall under the realm of "Passive" cooling techniques like these.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I couldn't find a 'Small Questions'-esque thread in the Business/Careers subforum so I'll just ask here...

I'm fairly certain my department is being downsized very soon. I work at a major daily paper in a department that deals with niche publications, and a product I'm chiefly responsible for is franchised. I have a good working relationship with the gal at the franchise we publish, and would love to work for them if possible.

Is there some sort of etiquette surrounding this? I would hate it if my current boss got an e-mail from her akin to "Hey, Directorman is being laid off? What?"

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Don't tell her you're being laid off. Tell her you're looking to "expand your opportunities" or something like that. Maybe you're "concerned about your opportunities for advancement" in your current position, and ask if she knows about any openings at her own company. You never want to say anything bad about your previous job or employer, and you don't want to let them know how desperate you are. (Ideally, you'd have something lined up before you actually became desperate.)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

quote:

Hi Golbez

This is Vishnu from wherever Inc

I have an urgent requirement for a PHP Developer

Please go through the below requirement and send me the updated resume and the below details so that we can discuss about the position

Full Name:
Contact number:
Email id:
Current location:
Relocation needed: Yes/no
Last 4 digits of SSN No.:
I can understand some of that, but why on earth does a recruiter need the last four of my social?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I've been told that it's how they keep track of candidates at certain places. Your name may not be unique, but there's not going to be another "John Smith" with the last-four "9208".

Be aware that some other places will use your last four as a means of authenticating your identity. (Like your bank.) If you trust this company, and it wasn't an unsolicited contact, go ahead and give it to them. If you kinda don't trust them, maybe give them an off-by-one SSN, or a SSN with two of the numbers transposed. That way, if you do get the job, you can explain away your "mistake," and if it is a scam, they've got less-than-useful information to target you with.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Gravity Pike posted:

I've been told that it's how they keep track of candidates at certain places. Your name may not be unique, but there's not going to be another "John Smith" with the last-four "9208".

Be aware that some other places will use your last four as a means of authenticating your identity. (Like your bank.) If you trust this company, and it wasn't an unsolicited contact, go ahead and give it to them. If you kinda don't trust them, maybe give them an off-by-one SSN, or a SSN with two of the numbers transposed. That way, if you do get the job, you can explain away your "mistake," and if it is a scam, they've got less-than-useful information to target you with.
Entirely unsolicited, actually, and I'm not even in the job market. Now, if Ganesh had asked, I might respond, but Vishnu? Pfft. :colbert:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

My boss has come into several boxes of sealed, mint condition, unreleased concept comic books from marvel, dc, action, etc, and wants me to price them out for him. Where the hell do I even start?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
By posting in the comic book forum (Batman's Shameful Secret), I'd say.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

alnilam posted:

I don't know about America, but here in Japan, people grow vine shades outside windows in the summer. They basically put lines of troughs in front of a window and stretch a net from the trough to the top of the window and let the vines go.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

Sounds a bit like an awning, though those are usually just at the top of a window or door, generally being the least-insulated part of exterior walls. There's a house across the street from me that has a shade of some sort at the edge of their front porch that I presume does something like that as well. Something like this, though I think theirs is rattan or something like that.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
Here's an odd question for y'all:

I have known at least two individuals off the top of my head (I'm sure there are more I don't remember) who were very intelligent, socially awkward, worked with computers, and blinked rapidly and far more often than I've ever seen anyone else blink while talking to people. If you've seen Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, Neil Patrick Harris' character does the same thing, though to a lesser extent.

I clearly don't know the right terms to google this, because I can find nothing, but does anyone know what causes that blinking? I've never seen it in anyone who didn't seem to fit the "nerdy, smart, awkward" stereotype, though not everyone who fits the stereotype blinked that way.

The most reasonable suggestion I've found is that it's a form of Tourette's Syndrome, but I was hoping someone here might know for certain.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
From googling, excessive blinking may be linked to autism, but it's hardly conclusive.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Isn't it just social awkwardness leading to avoiding eye contact and thus blinking a lot?

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008
Maybe it's from their neglected and overused contact lenses?

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

Liebfraumilch posted:

Maybe it's from their neglected and overused contact lenses?

They do this while wearing glasses, though.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Pucklynn posted:

They do this while wearing glasses, though.

Well if they're wearing glasses and contacts at the same time then no wonder they're blinking a lot.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
I'm not used to cooking with electric hotplates, and I'm having a bit of trouble getting the temperature I want. Lately I've been pouring a handful of water on the plate to cool it, if it's too hot. Is there any problem with doing that? The thing is completely sealed, so there's no danger of water getting into the electronics, but I was just wondering if this would damage it in some other way?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I'm currently running shred via an Ubuntu CD; how would I go about aborting the process safely if I have to? I'm not too concerned about "securely" deleting the entire drive, but I do have time concerns.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Pucklynn posted:

Here's an odd question for y'all:

I have known at least two individuals off the top of my head (I'm sure there are more I don't remember) who were very intelligent, socially awkward, worked with computers, and blinked rapidly and far more often than I've ever seen anyone else blink while talking to people. If you've seen Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, Neil Patrick Harris' character does the same thing, though to a lesser extent.

I clearly don't know the right terms to google this, because I can find nothing, but does anyone know what causes that blinking? I've never seen it in anyone who didn't seem to fit the "nerdy, smart, awkward" stereotype, though not everyone who fits the stereotype blinked that way.

The most reasonable suggestion I've found is that it's a form of Tourette's Syndrome, but I was hoping someone here might know for certain.
Kind of a wild guess on my part, but in his book "In the Blink of an Eye," Walter Murch talks about how we tend to blink when we complete a thought, or at least change to a different thought. If someone is super socially awkward, maybe their nervousness or whatever is causing a lot of thoughts to run through their head and they'll blink a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...
How exactly does it help a youtube person if I give his video a thumbs-up?