Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weitz
Jun 16, 2008
Thinking about taking the February beekeeper's class in NYC through the beekeeper's association. I'd like to start a hive too, I'm thinking in April? I'm used to California weather/seasons, so if someone can tell me a timeline, I'd be appreciative. I was musing around this thread about a year ago, and I vaguely remember there being some city folk in it? Tell me what you think of the class! Is it mostly indoor lecture stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I am not certain about NYC but I am in Philly and I can't imagine the timeline is too much different. You may not have a ton of choice in when to start just because you don't have a ton of control over when you can pick up packages, but typically you want to start a hive up a week or two before the dandelions bloom in your area.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

Weitz posted:

Thinking about taking the February beekeeper's class in NYC through the beekeeper's association. I'd like to start a hive too, I'm thinking in April? I'm used to California weather/seasons, so if someone can tell me a timeline, I'd be appreciative. I was musing around this thread about a year ago, and I vaguely remember there being some city folk in it? Tell me what you think of the class! Is it mostly indoor lecture stuff?

Which group. There are three. I'm a co-founder of the Backwards Beekeepers of NYC and teach classes.

NYC also hosts the NYC Beekeepers Association and the NYC Beekeeping Group. They don't get along, but both teach beekeeping courses as well.

Weitz
Jun 16, 2008
NYC Beekeepers association!
My main question is this: If I take the February set of classes, will I miss out on preordering supplies? What is the ideal time to start building a hive in NYC?
Thanks

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Weitz posted:

NYC Beekeepers association!
My main question is this: If I take the February set of classes, will I miss out on preordering supplies? What is the ideal time to start building a hive in NYC?
Thanks

Their class is fine, but expensive. Andrew is a fine beekeeper and I've enjoyed working with him in the past, but he can be a bit abrasive.

February is not too late. The earliest packages will start to arrive in late March, going into April and well into May, depending on who you buy them through.

P.S. If you're interested, I'll be teaching another section of my Beekeeping 101 class in February at the Brooklyn Brainery (http://brooklynbrainery.com) It's cheap!

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

This thread got me interested enough to try some beekeeping, too. I'm out on Cape Cod, and I'm lucky enough to have access to the Cape Cod Beekeeping Association. For $50, I've got a 6 session class and membership. We ordered our hives last week, so I should be getting materials to build very soon. Due to the long New England winters, we'll be getting our actual bees in late April / Early May. I've been told not to expect much honey the first year, but I've got my fingers crossed.

Either way, I'm pretty excited. Ill make sure I post lots of pictures once things get started.

Weitz
Jun 16, 2008

ShotgunWillie posted:

Their class is fine, but expensive. Andrew is a fine beekeeper and I've enjoyed working with him in the past, but he can be a bit abrasive.

February is not too late. The earliest packages will start to arrive in late March, going into April and well into May, depending on who you buy them through.

P.S. If you're interested, I'll be teaching another section of my Beekeeping 101 class in February at the Brooklyn Brainery (http://brooklynbrainery.com) It's cheap!

Ooo. I am interested in cheap. And the brainery looks quite cool, actually.
It doesn't seem to be on the website for current classes though?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Weitz posted:

Ooo. I am interested in cheap. And the brainery looks quite cool, actually.
It doesn't seem to be on the website for current classes though?

I'll be starting the next session in late February starting on the 23rd. Class hasn't gone up yet, but will soon.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
You guys don't need classes. Seriously. Just get the Beekeeping for Dummies book. It tells you exactly everything you need to know. And hop on Beesource: http://www.beesource.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?240-Bee-Forum

I did it and I've had the same hive for 3 years. Though I kind of hope they die. I want to try Italian bees.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Maximusi posted:

You guys don't need classes. Seriously. Just get the Beekeeping for Dummies book. It tells you exactly everything you need to know. And hop on Beesource: http://www.beesource.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?240-Bee-Forum

I did it and I've had the same hive for 3 years. Though I kind of hope they die. I want to try Italian bees.

Can't you just replace the queen? The bees don't live all that long, right; 45 to 60 days? If you replace the queen, in two months, you'll have all italian bees.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark

Maximusi posted:

If you want to go the book route, "The Beekeepers Handbook" by Alphonse Avitabile and Diane Sammataro is vastly superior to "Beekeeping for Dummies".

I've owned three different editions of since the early 90s and it keeps on getting better.

Weitz
Jun 16, 2008
Hey! I just bought the newest edition of the Beekeeper's handbook at the Entomological Society of America conference in November. I am excite.
Also, I just sent you an email mr. bee dude. There is an opportunity for urban bee SCIENCE.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Hi everyone! I just PM'd a couple posters, but I'm in the Philly area (not urban though) and am looking into beekeeping this spring. It looks like I just missed a class on beekeeping, but through the power of the internet I'm fairly sure I can figure out what I need to. It would be nice to know about local resources, though. Are there any bee supply stores around here? Where do people order their bees from?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I just wrote back to your pm. The short of it is check out the Philadelphia Bee Keepers guild web page for the answer to just about all of your local questions. They have a course coming up on Feb. 18th as well.

http://www.phillybeekeepers.org/

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Thank You!!!!

Anyone know if this beginning seminar would be good? http://www.chescobees.org/seminars.htm - It's one day and fairly cheap and is the closest to me (seems nothing is in DelCo).

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I checked my bees finally and the queen is failing. That's one of the annoying things about beekeeping, have to replace the queen all the time. Though the queens don't ship until April, and by that time my hive will be dead. Oh well!

Pagan: Yeah, I could, but then I would have to somehow find the queen and murder her (easier said than done). I don't think I've ever found the queen except once when I was just starting out. And there's no guarantee the bees will accept her.

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.
How do you know the queen is failing? Is it laying season already?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
The pattern is really bad and there are very few bees.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's only February: are they supposed to be ramping up now?

(We've been really bad and not checked ours for a long time... I see very little activity and my wife thinks we probably lost the colony, although I'm not certain.)

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I checked my hives this past weekend and one of them appears to have absconded during one of the warmer days this past winter. There are some dead bees in the bottom of the hive but not enough for the entire hive. Oh well, at least I have one hive that seems to be going strong still and 2 packages for pickup on March 31st. Looks like I'll have one empty hive to use for a split or try and catch a swarm with.

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.
I've been keeping a close eye on my hive recently.

Fun to see the odd bee fly out during the afternoon, even in sub-50 degree weather.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

j4on posted:

I've been keeping a close eye on my hive recently.

Fun to see the odd bee fly out during the afternoon, even in sub-50 degree weather.

That is pretty cool. I wonder if a camera can be mounted in the hive without the bees covering it in comb or something. It would be cool to have a live streaming video of bees doing their bee thing.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfwTfLS1OTA

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Amazing, and yet terrifying to have that thing in your living room. I'm curious how this guy works on his hive, or does he just leave it alone at let it be? I would have loved to have seen some developing queen cels too, but that's just because I'm not keen to have any swarms and want to nip that business in the bud :)

"I'm rather fond of handing a drone to a friend...and watching him squirm." Haha, sicko.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -