Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PicnicBasket
Mar 21, 2010
The F-15 got hosed, and I'm waiting to get some more turpentine for it. In the meantime, a Gundam.

These are for the torso/head assembly. Waiting for the clear coat to cure on the black/grey parts, and the red parts need another red coat before they get their clear coat. I should probably invest in a better camera.

For the bird, I was trying a new primer. That didn't work out very well, and I'm back to Mr Surfacer 1000. I just have to strip the primer off it, then I'm golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Come on over to the Gunpla thread too!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3271194

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Yesterday I meant to do some painting. I mixed up some Modelmaster Acrylic with some Vallejo acrylic, and then spent the rest of the night trying to get it to spray through my airbrush. I thinned it with water and rubbing alcohol to (what I thought) was a good consistency, but the drat stuff seemed to clog the nozzle instantly. Help!

Also: Making images. Step one in painting the fuselage was aluminum.

e: NM, it was just clogged in an unusual and exotic way.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 29, 2012

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine
I only use water or Vallejo's own thinner to thin Vallejo acrylics. I've read on various forums that alcohol makes them gum up, some colors more than others.

What was the unusual and exotic clog?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

There's a hole beneath where the needle is that got clogged. Once I paid special attention to that, everything was fine.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Hey guys, dumb question but I have to be sure:

I bought a Paasche moisture trap for my airbrush, and the instructions are kinda vague. Says to just cut the hose close to the airbrush and insert the trap and tighten the screws. Is it really that simple? I'm just worried I'll gently caress up my hose.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ah, shouldn't it just plug in before your hose? I don't know why it'd say to mount it close to the actual airbrush. Once the air is filtered, it's filtered.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
It's this one:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/pas/pasmt.htm

The instructions say to cut air hose then put sleeves onto moisture trap, then screw the sleeves to tighten. I'll go see if I can just screw it in though.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

crime fighting hog posted:

It's this one:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/pas/pasmt.htm

The instructions say to cut air hose then put sleeves onto moisture trap, then screw the sleeves to tighten. I'll go see if I can just screw it in though.

I have the same trap, and had the same worries. You really do just splice it into your hose.

Worst case scenario if you gently caress it up, a new hose is cheap and buy a trap that plugs in.

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine
I finished my Corsair a few days ago.

Album: http://imgur.com/a/zdsft

This was my third model and my first airplane. I loved building it and plan on doing more WWII planes in the future.

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

who cares posted:

This was my third model and my first airplane. I loved building it and plan on doing more WWII planes in the future.

We are poor little lambs who have lost our way, baa, baa, baa. :3

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.

who cares posted:

Aw poo poo, that's a very nice build; the shading's just magnificent. Might I enquire what kit is this from?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

who cares posted:

That looks very nice! I'm far from an expert on insignia, but I assume the arrow on the tail designates which carrier that planes is based on. Is that correct? Does the arrow on the wing indicate the same thing? I don't recall ever seeing insignia on the wings and it is kind of curious.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

who cares posted:

Absolutely gorgeous mate.

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine
Thanks for the nice comments, everyone.

Morgenthau posted:

Might I enquire what kit is this from?

It is the Tamiya F4U-1D kit. My first kit was a repop of a 70s Revell kit and my second model was a poorly-fitting snap-together deal, so the Tamiya kit was a dream to put together.

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm far from an expert on insignia, but I assume the arrow on the tail designates which carrier that planes is based on. Is that correct? Does the arrow on the wing indicate the same thing? I don't recall ever seeing insignia on the wings and it is kind of curious.

Yeah, as far as I understand it they are squadron markings. The plane that I did was part of VF-84 which was based on the USS Bunker Hill. I have a book full of Corsair pictures and some squadrons only have markings on the tail and some have them on both the wing and tail and sometimes the prop.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Crossposting my new Zvezda stuff.

The BT-7 (along with its other Christie suspension brothers, the BT-2, BT-5 and A-20) had the ability to have their tracks removed and be driven around like a car.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Somewhere in this thread was a link to a forum showing off hand-build models of age-of-sail ships. Someone was logging his progress into building HMS Surpise from the O'Brian books.

I cant find it any longer :saddowns:

Does someone happen to remember the link to that forum?

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Great Models is having a 40 pct off sale. They're also being acquired by another company. I have used them a few times over the years and it looks like now is a good time to pick up a few kits
http://www.greatmodels.com/main/Acquisition.htm

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

space pope posted:

Great Models is having a 40 pct off sale. They're also being acquired by another company. I have used them a few times over the years and it looks like now is a good time to pick up a few kits
http://www.greatmodels.com/main/Acquisition.htm

Argh there's goes my "I'm not buying any new kits until I finish the ones I have" resolution

drat you

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Nooo, so much cheap stuff and I have to spend $200 for shipping to not be outrageous. I don't have room for $200 worth of stuff (especially on sale) and I'll probably have to pay a lot for customs.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

So. A derp question for you all.

Is this thread applicable for scale model trains? There's been this old box of train set parts in our storage shed for ages. My parents made a brief foray into the hobby before I was born (I'm 31) then boxed the parts up and let them sit.

I'm just curious to post some pictures for someone semi-knowledgable to look over. Just in case there's a "Holy poo poo that's rare" bit in there. Most of the buildings and props are obvious crap, but there's about 20 or so train cars and 3 engines. Mostly in great shape since they're in their individual boxes.

Not sure what I could do with it. There's a goodly bit of track, switches, transformer etc in there as well. I'd love to set it up and get something neat going if I had the space or the knowledge to build some kind of base "land" for it.

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Enos Shenk posted:

Is this thread applicable for scale model trains?

I say go for it, this thread doesn't get a whole lot of action.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Here's the latest kit I'm working on. I've always wanted to have a crack at one of these its a MKII Battlestar Viper.

This is going to be the last new model I start for a long while as all I want to do is finish off all the outstanding projects I have to a satisfactory degree and then pack a lot of things up and away as I have a little one coming onto the scene in August.

No assembly shots I'm afraid but here's what I have.

Pre-shading

Base coats:

Oh my Gods what is this big blurry mess!?:

Thanks the Gods of Kobol the masking held up.

Going to do some tidying steps and add decals. Then filter, wash and add some heavy weathering as the whole point is a rag tag, overworked barely held together fleet.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
How do you get weathering in space? Dust particle collisions?

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine

Blistex posted:

How do you get weathering in space? Dust particle collisions?

From being shot at by the Cylons. Duh!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
"Carbon scoring" and presumably just not having time to clean off splodges of lubricant from maintainance and random chunks of Cylon after dramatically flying through explosions.

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild

Enos Shenk posted:

So. A derp question for you all.

Is this thread applicable for scale model trains? There's been this old box of train set parts in our storage shed for ages. My parents made a brief foray into the hobby before I was born (I'm 31) then boxed the parts up and let them sit.

I'm just curious to post some pictures for someone semi-knowledgable to look over. Just in case there's a "Holy poo poo that's rare" bit in there. Most of the buildings and props are obvious crap, but there's about 20 or so train cars and 3 engines. Mostly in great shape since they're in their individual boxes.

Not sure what I could do with it. There's a goodly bit of track, switches, transformer etc in there as well. I'd love to set it up and get something neat going if I had the space or the knowledge to build some kind of base "land" for it.

Post it up. I've got some model railroad knowledge from my misspent teenage years.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

who cares posted:

From being shot at by the Cylons. Duh!

That would be battle damage. :spergin:

In all seriousness, it just struck me that I've seen lots of Sci-Fi where the ship is rusted, and shows wear around panels and access hatches, while never being in a planet's atmosphere or doing any of those things that causes wear.

Just a curiosity of mine.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blistex posted:

That would be battle damage. :spergin:

In all seriousness, it just struck me that I've seen lots of Sci-Fi where the ship is rusted, and shows wear around panels and access hatches, while never being in a planet's atmosphere or doing any of those things that causes wear.

Just a curiosity of mine.

Maybe they have a REALLY high oxygen content in the ship's atmosphere so it rusts super fast in the hangar.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Well the Vipers in BSG are atmospheric fighters as well. The main point is obviously that the plot is such that they are barely maintained craft with an overworked engineering crew. So cleaning is not top of the order. As well; even in space flying through debris clouds etc will wear I suppose. There is no rust on these just plenty of soot/grime oil. They are all still using ballistic weapons after all.

Basically they look like this new:

But this is the look in the series after the Cyclon attack etc.

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

If anyone feels like building some Bladerunner stuff, there are 2 new kits being released in july:

http://www.hlj.com/product/fuj09136
http://www.hlj.com/product/FUJ09135

This one I just ordered the other day, it's already released:

http://www.hlj.com/product/FUJ09132

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Are there any model kits out based on Serenity/Firefly? If I ever finish the sailing ship I've been neglecting to work on I wanna do a spaceship, either Serenity or some Star Wars ship I guess.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I took a few pictures. Camera is a piece of crap, so some of them are a bit blurry. I'll have to try to get a few better shots of the boxcars...

All the hardware is N guage, and somewhere around 40 years old. It was all just tossed loosely in a cardboard box filled with shreds of cardboard and other nastiness.

When I took the pictures I thought there were only these 3 engines. There's a small yard tug boxed up as well, but the motor brushes are shot and non-replacable.

The smaller diesel runs the best. The larger diesel has a wonky power pickup so it craps out on corners, it also had 40 year old carpet fibers clogged in the gears. I ended up disassembling that one and the steam engine to clean all the gunked up and corroded parts.

The steam engine has "N-2342" on the box, made by Revell in West Germany. Gotta love those cold war model trains. The smaller diesel is Revell N-2322, Alco FA-1 with Union Pacific livery.

The larger diesel is an EMD E8, made by Atlas in Italy, part number 2105. It looks like it has a date code printed on the box, 7-1968.

Various boxcars. All but 2 of them were in the original boxes. About half of them are Revell Germany, the other half are from Atlas. Fairly good details, only the one on the bottom right is damaged.

Other train cars. About the same split in manufacturers as the boxcars.

Various buildings that were in the box. Apparently my dad put all these together, they're definately not the best quality. And since they weren't boxed up most of them have lots of parts broken off or missing.

Box o' track. The switches are in particular bad shape, lots of corrosion and gunk. Probably rat poo...

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with all this, but it's definately something neat to find hiding in a beaten-up cardboard box.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I made a thing:

Airfix 144th scale Vostok 1 + launcher. Very old kit from the 60s I think, but that only took me a couple of days and looks like the thing it's supposed to look like, so that's a result in my book.

Twistershift
Feb 7, 2007

big_g posted:

Stuff.

Post some pics of those (1/100, 1/144?) tanks if you have some,please. Are those for war gaming? I have a growing collection of braille scale stuff that I will one day (but probably never will) build.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Twistershift posted:

Post some pics of those (1/100, 1/144?) tanks if you have some,please. Are those for war gaming? I have a growing collection of braille scale stuff that I will one day (but probably never will) build.

My Flames of War stuff? Sure. Most of this has been posted on these forums at some point or the other.

What you can see in the background of the Viper pic is my current project of a Soviet Heavy Assault Gun Company in faded whitewash. (IS-2s,ISU-152s and ISU-122s)

A T-34 platoon I'm doing, they will all have the Tankos when they are done.

Some Tiger 1Es

US Armour

Have a load more if anyone is interested including a Finnish force and more infantry.

Also update on the Viper with decals added.

big_g fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 21, 2012

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

You have many tiny tanks. If Poland were the size of a basketball court, I'd be suspicious.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Are all the flags and things part of the models? I got some Zvezda KV-1 that I'd like to fancy up a bit.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

Are all the flags and things part of the models? I got some Zvezda KV-1 that I'd like to fancy up a bit.

Its a bit of both. The chassis do come with individual details on but you can also buy various stowage packs which give you extra barrels/tracks/jerry cans etc to add on. The sandbags on the Shermans are just greenstuffed. The aerials are just bristles from a household broom.

Just look up battlefronts FoW range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.
Painting is finally done for the fuselage and weapons.

At least I can sleep at proper times now. Now it's time for cleanups, and the funnest part; the decals!