Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Phy posted:

Cletus just looks so darn satisfied. It's like he doesn't even realize he built his new outhouse on top of a bear.
Yeah I really like the redneck face with its pedostache. At last people have a minifig for their MOC meth houses and windowless vans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

The Bad Motherbricker Guide to Making Rad Minifig Decals

Thanks for that. I asked at some craft store if they had decal paper a while back but they didn't, and I lost interest before bothering to get it online. You've rekindled my interest in trying this out. I might have to make some neo-classic space suits and cowboy duds.

Can you share some info or just blank templates on the size and dimensions needed to cover various body parts?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

:3:

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
There was an episode of Food Network Cake Challenge a while back, where some guy made Lego busts of the hosts, and the chefs had to replicate them in cake. Throughout, the Lego guy kept emphasizing "You can't use any curves, because Lego doesn't curve. Everything has to have right angles!" Which is more-or-less true technically but his "sculptures" all looked like they came out of Minecraft. Long story short, that cake is much better than anything on that episode.

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002

Saint Sputnik posted:

Can you share some info or just blank templates on the size and dimensions needed to cover various body parts?

I used these templates http://www.minifigcustoms.com/resources/templates/list/63

Decal paper seems ridiculously hard to get hold of, at least in the UK, so I ended up buying some transparent and some white (for printing light decals on dark bricks) stuff off eBay.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Really Lego Shop@Home? You rejected my order because of address verification, then took a week to bother telling me to call? And then the CSR was just like "are you sure you live at this address? maybe the card has your parents address on it?" Um, ok.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

MichaelFlatley posted:

I used these templates http://www.minifigcustoms.com/resources/templates/list/63

This is the template I use as well (the one on the far right, of the minifigure). If you do decide to print some decals, it's a good idea to batch as many designs as you can onto the paper at once, because the paper isn't terribly cheap. Pretty obvious, but when I first started my pages were pretty sparse, and now they're cluttered and terrible looking but I can squeeze a lot of decals out of it. Also, print at least three of whatever decal you're going to apply; that way, if you rip one while placing it, you can toss it and start again without having to make a new sheet.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Amazon has a 10% sale on some of the bigger sets going on right now.

A few of the modular buildings and some of the bigger Star War sets.

http://toysnbricks.com/usa-10-off-lego-sale-on-online-exclusives/

Probably going to pickup the Grand Emporium, sale brings it to $135/shipped.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

mattfl posted:

Amazon has a 10% sale on some of the bigger sets going on right now.

Probably going to pickup the Grand Emporium, sale brings it to $135/shipped.

It's already sold out at that price. :(

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

It's already sold out at that price. :(

FUUUUUCK! I had the page open and was just waiting to hit add to cart. DAMNIT#!@

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

mattfl posted:

FUUUUUCK! I had the page open and was just waiting to hit add to cart. DAMNIT#!@

Well, Toys R Us still has it for 10% off. Sales tax, but that's only $8, so still a pretty decent deal.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

drat, I was just pondering about getting the Grand Emporium too. :(

vrunt
Jul 4, 2003

the great trollini

Friar Zucchini posted:

Is anyone else unable to get the caterpillar belt (71372) to fit on the wheels for it (32007) in LDD?

LDD folks said that since the caterpillar belt doesnt actually 'attach' to the wheels when building with physical bricks they chose not to include attaching functionality in the software. Sorry dude. At least they're aware now that people are asking about this.

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
Well, I picked up the Pet Shop on the amazon sale. That's a good deal, the modulars don't go on sale often.

Rank Bajin
Mar 21, 2005

Eureka! In a few minutes I shall be free of the pull of the earth's gravity.
I don't know if all Tescos are doing this, but my local one is selling off 7498 Police Station for £18 and 8070 Supercar for £25.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Rank Bajin posted:

I don't know if all Tescos are doing this, but my local one is selling off 7498 Police Station for £18 and 8070 Supercar for £25.

What?? Stock up on those Supercars and then send me one. I'll pay you money!

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

drat, its 100 pounds online, I'd grab a stack if they did that here in germany.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

Rank Bajin posted:

I'd probably be willing to buy a police station from you if that's the case!

Augustus Woop-Woop
Dec 14, 2003
wang
This may well be absolute blasphemy, but:

Article about using 3d printing to mash Lego and K'Nex

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Augustus Woop-Woop posted:

My god... :crossarms: What are these... abominations? I see Sticklebricks in there where they have no place being.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 20, 2012

Rank Bajin
Mar 21, 2005

Eureka! In a few minutes I shall be free of the pull of the earth's gravity.

ireladd posted:

What?? Stock up on those Supercars and then send me one. I'll pay you money!

youareoffthehook posted:

I'd probably be willing to buy a police station from you if that's the case!

Sorry guys, I'm stuck at home with the kids until my wife gets back. I'll have a look tomorrow morning.

It's the Glasgow Maryhill Tesco if anyone is in the vicinity and fancies a bit of late night bargain hunting.

Stongpa
Jan 14, 2012

"I am not, I will not be.
I have not, I will not have.
This frightens all children,
And kills fear in the wise."

~ Nagarjuna
Deluxe Lego R2:
http://legoexternal.23video.com/video/4699656/the-ultimate-collector-series

I would love to get this. I heard it is due out in September, but may be released early...

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Stongpa posted:

Deluxe Lego R2:

I would love to get this. I heard it is due out in September, but may be released early...

It's actually coming in May, at least in the US, for $180. Want.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Yeah that's pretty much heresy all right.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I decided to get the grand emporium off TRU. I figured, why not, mainly because it's the only modular building it REALLY want. It just looks really cool.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Knormal posted:

I was a little disappointed with the forest ranger cabin set (other than the nifty roadster), so I decided to steal John Carstairs' Dino Riders idea with the best part of the set, the bear.

I'm going to agree with the others and say that's it's definitely the robber's face in the last shot that seals the deal.

And on that note, the latest of mine:

Based on the Rulon Monoclonius from the original toy line, which was probably my favorite overall (Despite it not being my favorite dinosaur from the line...). Trying to come up with a new brain box idea each time is starting to become something of a challenge... This one's a bit more of a minimalist design.

The other side's laser cannon thing. It's mostly the same as the one from the last one I posted, but I modified it slightly just because it felt lazy to reuse it as is.

Back left.

Back right.

A shot of it with the brain box from the last one, as I couldn't decide which I liked better on it.

Box art of the original toy for comparison. ...once again, I'm futilely hoping for another head mold for the triceratops. ...and I really need to get one of those Atlantis shark dudes.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Goons, a quick question.
Would there be any interest in an LDD guide covering the various tools, controls and functions that LDD has?
I'm looking into writing a guide since I have a lot of down-time at my current job/internship and it's something to keep me entertained. The main things I want to cover in the guide are:
UI
This would basically be about what button does what and any advanced functions they have.
Camera
The various ways of moving and focusing the camera.
Selection Tools
These get their own sections because they have some quirks and can be used for various purposes.
Brick Interaction
How to manipulate, clone, place, rotate bricks, what kinds of connections exist in LDD and how you can use them. There will be an example LDD file for this part.
Hinges and Flexible parts
Hinges, how do they work? Flexible tubes and how to manipulate them
Grouping, Presets and using Groups
What are groups, how do I use them. What the hell is a preset?

I'm probably going to do it in a PDF with a small chapter per section using visual examples, LDD Files and write-ups bout the subjects/

So basically my questions are, would there be interest in this and is there anything else you'd like to see in the guide? Probably going to write it in English first and translate it into Dutch as well.

Keep in mind it can take me a while to write it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I decided to get the grand emporium off TRU. I figured, why not, mainly because it's the only modular building it REALLY want. It just looks really cool.

Same here. Should be delivered this week!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Don't think I've seen these posted here.

HOLY poo poo

http://www.geekologie.com/2012/03/legit-115-scale-back-to-the-future-lego.php

http://www.geekologie.com/2012/02/back-to-the-future-ii-downtown-recreated.php

I want to build everything there, EVERYTHING.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I want plans for that DeLorean. :(

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I want plans for that DeLorean. :(

Just beware, the parts list would include silver spray paint, unless you leave it flat gray. Still, it's pretty sharp.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Stongpa posted:

Deluxe Lego R2:

Can I preorder Legos?

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

rockinricky posted:

Just beware, the parts list would include silver spray paint, unless you leave it flat gray. Still, it's pretty sharp.
It also appears that he cut the tires and maybe wheels that make up the outer part of the rotating wheel/hover assembly. Who knows how many other modified parts he has in there.

I would have preferred the wheels not rotate than for the pieces to get cut up like that.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

I don't know why, but I'm getting a very Thomas Ligotti vibe from this.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Forgot to add this to the post last night:

Olivia apparently puts that workshop to good use. I just assume she had to clone and outfit the drat thing herself.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Please rebuild it in Friends colours. :3:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Rank Bajin posted:

Sorry guys, I'm stuck at home with the kids until my wife gets back. I'll have a look tomorrow morning.

It's the Glasgow Maryhill Tesco if anyone is in the vicinity and fancies a bit of late night bargain hunting.

My local big tesco doesnt even any technic on the shelves never mind at prices like that :(
They did however have more stock of the power boat transporter for £10 in the easter special aisle :)

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

SynthOrange posted:

Please rebuild it in Friends colours. :3:

I hope the friends line spreads out into more adventure-y stuff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jill's Jungle Safari.

Amy's Antarctic Adventure.

Charlotte's Rock-Climbing Challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Friend-tron.

Has anybody picked up those little Star Wars planets sets? Which one is the best? I'm leaning toward the Tie. Do they plan on releasing more of those?