Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

bigmcgaffney posted:

Syrio Forwl would have to be dead for that to work out.

Not necessarily; do keep in mind that this is Qyburn we're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
But how is Qyburn going to travel all the way to Mereen, defeat the Yunkai, rescue Daario, and unmask him as Syrio?, i mean i know that his zombie army is strong, but it now also teleports? :psyduck:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

zocio posted:

But how is Qyburn going to travel all the way to Mereen, defeat the Yunkai, rescue Daario, and unmask him as Syrio?, i mean i know that his zombie army is strong, but it now also teleports? :psyduck:

He just built a time machine, silly. It runs on wildfire and lemon cakes.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Qyburn is going to resurrect everyone but the Red Viper and Syrio because GRRM hates his fans.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Qyburn is going to resurrect everyone but the Red Viper and Syrio because GRRM hates his fans.

And Ned, unless he makes Ned's head sit the Iron Throne.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Urdnot Fire posted:

The tearful reunion of Sansa and Hover-Head-Ned will be punctuated by Darkstar Kramering into the throne room throwing Myrcella's other ear at Zombie Jaime's-hand.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011

Tony Danza Claus posted:

It's gonna be a huge ball of corpses, called Legion, it will crush king's landing beneath it and ride it across westeros.

Qyburn is a bad mofo.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

bigmcgaffney posted:

Syrio Forwl would have to be dead for that to work out.

Not today.

Urdnot Fire posted:

Undead Ned kicking the poo poo out of his stupid undead oval office of a wife for all of the shitstorm her idiocy resulted in. Hmmmm. I'd read the poo poo out of that.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 22, 2012

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
So, with all the hype surrounding Hunger Games, I thought I'd jump over to the Amazon site and see what all the hubbub is about. Looking at the reviews the very first one compares the "brutal" nature to the writings of our very own GURM.

quote:

it's probably one of the most terrifying books I've read in a very long time! Right up there with George R.R. Martin, if not more so.

What say you, Wildcards? Should I pull the trigger on the purchase? Would be refreshing to read a series like that of the GURM, but actually with an ending.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Fog Tripper posted:

What say you, Wildcards? Should I pull the trigger on the purchase? Would be refreshing to read a series like that of the GURM, but actually with an ending.
If you're into future dystopia thriller type books, sure. Just know that it's marketed for young adults and while it does have some gruesome violence, it's nowhere near Gurm in depravity.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Fog Tripper posted:

So, with all the hype surrounding Hunger Games, I thought I'd jump over to the Amazon site and see what all the hubbub is about. Looking at the reviews the very first one compares the "brutal" nature to the writings of our very own GURM.

There is not even one described rape, comparison invalid.

It's a good book series though, particularly if you enjoyed stories like The Giver or Ender's Game when you were a kid. I devoured all three books in about 4 days. I didn't find it particularly scary though... that's a weird description.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Fog Tripper posted:

Undead Ned kicking the poo poo out of his stupid undead oval office of a wife for all of the shitstorm her idiocy resulted in. Hmmmm. I'd read the poo poo out of that.

That would be way too cathartic for Gurm. Though I suppose this could happen in book 7, which mostly likely wouldn't come out in Gurm's lifetime anyways.

Fog Tripper posted:

It is indeed an enjoyable series and an easy read. It helps that there's only one viewpoint and no focus on turtles or rape or food.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Fog Tripper posted:

The prose is very YA but there's a legit good story if you can get past that. The only rape is implied but there's enough violence to make anyone happy.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Fog Tripper posted:

They're not bad. A fun light read, but pretty predictable. I read each in about a day over the last few weeks.

If you have a kindle and Amazon Prime, you can rent them for free.

Violence-wise: I guess it could be "Intro to GURM for 5 year olds".

I really thought I was going to be annoyed with the stupid teen love triangle bullshit, but it was pretty well-done in those regards by keeping it to a c-level plot. And it's nice that the narrator is a complete sociopath when it comes to it.

The author took the South Park movie's mantra a bit too literally - you can have as much grotesque violence as long as you don't say any naughty words. I don't thing there is one. Even the baby ones like "hell" or "drat". Not one. And they weren't necessarily needed, it just seemed a bit unnatural given how people actually talk.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
On the other hand there weren't any made up swear words, or a single instance of "must needs" (this is the cue to reply with posts that contain all grrms favorite buzzwords for at least a page)

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

bigmcgaffney posted:

On the other hand there weren't any made up swear words, or a single instance of "must needs" (this is the cue to reply with posts that contain all grrms favorite buzzwords for at least a page)

I dunno why that series would contain any of those buzzwords since they're altered to fit an antiquated society in ASOIAF.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fog Tripper posted:

If you're ok with YA style writing they're pretty good and extremely quick reads. Nothing like Gurm at all really. I ran through all 3 in about a day each. It might be a bitch right now, but if you can get them from the library (or just camp out in a bookstore for a few hours) I would do that rather than pay full price. They are very quick reads.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

So I have my copy of Dreamsongs here and I see IRQ missed the best part of 'The Pear-shaped Man'. This is following on from 'his pants settled to the floor'.

quote:

She couldn't take it. No more, no more. She pulled the knife free of her bag, raised it over head. 'Stop!'

'Ahh', said the Pear-shaped Man, 'there it is.'

She stabbed him.

The blade went in right to the hilt, plunged deep into his soft, white skin. She wrenched it down and out. The skin parted, a huge, meaty gash. The Pear-shaped Man was smiling his little smile. There was no blood, no lood at alll. His flesh was soft and thick, all pale dead meat.

He moved closer, and Jessie stabbed him again. This time he reached up and knocked her hand away. The knife was embedded in his neck. The hilr wobbled back and forth as he padded toward her. His dead, white arms reached out and she pushed against him and her hand sank into his body like he was made of wet, rotten bread. 'Oh', he said, 'oh, oh, oh.' Jessie opened her mouth to scream, and the Pear-shaped Man pressed those heavy wet lips to her own and swallowed at her sound. His pale eyes sucked at her. She felt his tongue darting forward, and it was round and black and oily, and then it was snaking down inside her, touching, tasting, feeling all her things. She was drowning in a sea of soft, damp flesh.

And while I have it, a few choice fragments from 'Meathouse Man' which is just as creepy, though slightly better written.

quote:

He came to the bed slowly and sat to a chorus of creaking springs. He touched her and the flesh was warm. Of course. She was not a corpse, not really, no; the body was alive enough, a heartbeat under the heavy white breasts, she breathed. Only the brain was gone, ripped from her, replaced with a deadman's synthabrain. She was meat now, an extra body for a corpsehandler to control, just like the crew he worked each day under sulfur skies. She was not a woman. So it did not matter that Trager was just a boy, a jowly frog-faced boy who smelled of Skrakky. She (no it, remember?) would not care, could not care.

quote:

Trager was drained and satisfied, but he had more time left, and he was determined to get his money's worth. He explored her thoroughly, sticking his fingers everywhere they would go, touching her everywhere, rolling it over, looking at everything. The corpse moved like dead meat.

He left her as he'd found her, lying face up on the bed with her legs apart. Meathouse courtesy.

This is the future, guys. Make the most of your real women while you can because you're going to be loving corpses sooner than you know it.

Octy fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 23, 2012

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
:lol: This has to be a joke this can not be real. You sick fat fucker what is wrong with you.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I wish it was but my prose skills aren't as good as the Gurm.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Octy posted:

So I have my copy of Dreamsongs here and I see IRQ missed the best part of 'The Pear-shaped Man'. This is following on from 'his pants settled to the floor'.

And while I have it, a few choice fragments from 'Meathouse Man' which is just as creepy, though slightly better written.

This is the future, guys. Make the most of your real women while you can because you're going to be loving corpses sooner than you know it.

George RR. Martin is the greatest writer of all time.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Rape Jake. posted:

It actually is a good collection of stories for the most part, but then out of nowhere you get these gems that are just awful and creepy and oh god I can't unsee the images GRRM has implanted.

I'm working my way through Volume II at the moment so shall update if there's anything good, unless someone else has read it?

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Rape Jake. posted:

Truly an American Tolkien.

I have to admit though I find the excerpts from neither the Pear-shaped nor Meathouse Man particularly disturbing. But that's probably because I've enjoyed the products of such masters of the pen as Stephen King, Dan Simmons and Junji Ito for a long time.

Does Dreamsongs contain the Dunk and Egg stories?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Rurik posted:

Truly an American Tolkien.

I have to admit though I find the excerpts from neither the Pear-shaped nor Meathouse Man particularly disturbing. But that's probably because I've enjoyed the products of such masters of the pen as Stephen King, Dan Simmons and Junji Ito for a long time.

Does Dreamsongs contain the Dunk and Egg stories?

Volume II has the first story, which is mainly why I got it.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Octy posted:

Volume II has the first story, which is mainly why I got it.
And the second story is where, Volume I?

:grrm:

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Nope. You can get both individually, either as plain written text or a graphic novel. I just didn't want to pay $20 or so for a single story I mightn't like. Look it up on Amazon.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I like the one about the big fat man who's trying to lose weight so makes a Faustian bargain and gets a magic demon-monkey that steals all his food. As he gets thinner the monkey gets fatter until it takes over his life.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
So that's what happened to the GRRM. It explains why he'd be a Giants fan.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Fatkraken posted:

I like the one about the big fat man who's trying to lose weight so makes a Faustian bargain and gets a magic demon-monkey that steals all his food. As he gets thinner the monkey gets fatter until it takes over his life.

This is frightening in a Dorian Grey kind of way.

Fatkraken posted:

I like the one about the big fat man who's trying to lose weight so makes a Faustian bargain and gets a magic squirrel that steals all his food. As he gets thinner the squirrel gets fatter until it takes over his life.

This is adorable. :3:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
gently caress ME

Wrong thread for the second time.

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

gently caress ME

Be careful what you wish for. GURM is watching.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

bouncyman posted:

Be careful what you wish for. GURM is watching.

The Pear-Shaped Man walks among us, after all.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
This is an especially dangerous situation as I will not be able to tell if the cheese doodle dust in my underwear was already there...or if the pear shaped man is on to me.....

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Goddamn, I want to find out what happens in that pear-shaped man story

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

This is an especially dangerous situation as I will not be able to tell if the cheese doodle dust in my underwear was already there...or if the pear shaped man is on to me.....

If it's any comfort, by the time you realize it it will already be too late.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Ashrik posted:

Goddamn, I want to find out what happens in that pear-shaped man story
It starts out lighthearted enough, until his life starts to deteriorate when it becomes harder and and harder for him to tell where the man ends and the pear begins. In the unapologetically bleak denouement to the story, he comes to realize he has forever become more pear than man and is left with no choice but to commit suicide by fruit blender.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
GURM: absolute fucker absolut pear

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
I have to be 21 to look at alcohol? Seriously...

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

smarion2 posted:

I have to be 21 to look at alcohol? Seriously...

It's the only way to protect children from the FUN and EXCITEMENT of DRINKING ALCOHOL :911:

e: and by "children" I mean a 20 year old who can buy a gun and drive a half ton of steel a mile per minute, which are fine for children but who is clearly not actually an adult who can handle drinking coors light. :911: :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Minor correction: most kids get lovely first cars, so it's probably at least two tons of steel.

I miss you, 1977 Mercury Land Titanic. :patriot: