Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Does anyone know of any software that can keep an inventory of my CD collection? Preferably free. Bonus if I can somehow use my phone to scan barcodes.

Not free, but check out collectorz.com, they have software for books, movies, comics, games, and music. I use their books and movie software. If you have a large collection, go for the pro version, then you get "free" online access to the list of what you own. They do support scanneers, too, but I don't use one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

LittleBob posted:

I swear there used to be a thread for requesting small programs/apps be made, possibly for money, but now I can't find it.

Did I imagine it, or am I skipping over it? If I did imagine it, is there somewhere that I can go and get someone to make me a small program?

It's in SHSC. Request a tiny custom app again

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Buglord
How can I re-size a .gif while keeping its animated..ness?

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Avocados posted:

How can I re-size a .gif while keeping its animated..ness?

File size or resolution? Either way:

- Open it up in Photoshop
- File->Save for Web & Devices

From here you can set resolution (scaling) and all sorts of quality control options.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I'm trying to think of a few songs that would be appropriate as ridiculous background "hold" style music...something along the lines of what might play over a "technical difficulties" placard used during older live TV shows.

All I can think of right now is something like Henry Mancini's "Baby Elephant Walk". I feel like there was one I heard a long time ago titled "Spanish Fly" or something similar (though I'm pretty sure that's NOT the name).

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Yeah spanish fly would be pretty intense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDsa4uDM3zU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The girl from ipanema (instrumental), which is a pretty sweet song, is a classic cheesy lounge/elevator/wait room piece in lots of films.

Anything by the rippingtons.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

ElectricSheep posted:

I'm trying to think of a few songs that would be appropriate as ridiculous background "hold" style music...something along the lines of what might play over a "technical difficulties" placard used during older live TV shows.

Yakety Sax or the Liberty Bell March.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

ElectricSheep posted:

All I can think of right now is something like Henry Mancini's "Baby Elephant Walk". I feel like there was one I heard a long time ago titled "Spanish Fly" or something similar (though I'm pretty sure that's NOT the name).

Your search ends here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JykNUqNNQj4

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

ElectricSheep posted:

You're thinking of Spanish Flea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mML2fPec7xU

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Is there a good place to buy stickers online? I'm looking to order 500-1000 stickers of a fairly standard size (2.5 Inches-3 Inches square, 2 colors), but google really isn't helping finding a good on. Pricing, shipping, turnaround time, and quality are all over the place, and most of them look very shady. Does anyone have any experience in ordering stickers or a favorite site?

Carados fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 23, 2012

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

What is the trend of horse masks? I saw an SA banner ad that said HORSE MASK and thought "huh." Then yesterday I saw some people in front of the library in my city, 5 of them, with horse masks! They had a photo shoot.

I'm not always up on the latest internet trends (kids these days :arghfist:), can anyone fill me in?

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Carados posted:

Is there a good place to buy stickers online? I'm looking to order 500-1000 stickers of a fairly standard size (2.5 Inches-3 Inches square, 2 colors), but google really isn't helping finding a good on. Pricing, shipping, turnaround time, and quality are all over the place, and most of them look very shady. Does anyone have any experience in ordering stickers or a favorite site?

I used to make them for people. I could refer you to my old place of work, but if you're outside Canada, it probably wouldn't be worth the customs charges. That's all I got, sorry. I haven't ordered stickers online before, have always made them myself when need be.

alnilam posted:

What is the trend of horse masks? I saw an SA banner ad that said HORSE MASK and thought "huh." Then yesterday I saw some people in front of the library in my city, 5 of them, with horse masks! They had a photo shoot.

I'm not always up on the latest internet trends (kids these days :arghfist:), can anyone fill me in?

They've been around for quite awhile, and were originally sold on Archie McPhee (I think). I think they've just become more of a meme now so lots of people are buying them. I don't think there's any special story behind. I remember them being in the Halloween threads from +/-2 years ago.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I forgot to take my passport out of my jeans when they went through the wash. Is it still going to be usable for travelling? Its got a small chip in. I'm in the UK if it matters

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jose posted:

I forgot to take my passport out of my jeans when they went through the wash. Is it still going to be usable for travelling? Its got a small chip in. I'm in the UK if it matters

What does it look like?

The chip will happily survive. But if the visa pages look water-damaged, you should get a replacement. Immigration in other countries will be extremely suspicious of a passport that looks like it has been tampered with.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Everything other than the laminated ID page which has the chip on the back have really obviously been water damaged. The cover looks fine otherwise though

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jose posted:

Everything other than the laminated ID page which has the chip on the back have really obviously been water damaged. The cover looks fine otherwise though

Best get a new one. It will be okay as a proof of identity whilst in the UK (at the bank, etc), but immigration officers will not like it.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

My wife washed both our passports. She's Swiss and I'm American and we've traveled around the world and many times between the states and Europe in the last 5 years and the worst I've gotten is a raised-eyebrow-wtf-is-this look. All my immigration stamps for Ireland (where I was living at the time) got washed and they never gave me any trouble but that may just be Ireland.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

alnilam posted:

It's an old meme that seems to periodically come back. As far as the surge on SA, there's a thread in Coupons, where someone discovered that horse masks on Amazon were going for the low, low price of $20.

I can't test it until I get a mask, but I heard that if you put the horse mask on your dog while he's wearing a jockey rider and then you put on a dog face shirt, confused fairies will suddenly appear and give you awkward smooches. Let me tell you, man, I am all about the awkward smooches.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
What are the quickest/best free .pdf readers these days?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

TheAngryDrunk posted:

What are the quickest/best free .pdf readers these days?

I like one called SumatraPDF
http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/free-pdf-reader.html

There's Foxit, but I understand it has nearly as many bugs/exploit as regular Adobe Reader.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
E: This is the wrong thread entirely. Oops.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I'm confused about genre fiction, I always thought books were written first, then the genre is retroactively applied? Like, "Hey, you wrote this book, let me see it! Oh, I see it has spaceships and wormholes, its probably science fiction."

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I mean sort of, but people generally set out to write a book in a specific genre and it's not like the result is all that unpredictable. A book doesn't need to be written first to figure out what genre it's in.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Horse masks really became popular when they showed up in one of the Jackass movies.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Farecoal posted:

I'm confused about genre fiction, I always thought books were written first, then the genre is retroactively applied? Like, "Hey, you wrote this book, let me see it! Oh, I see it has spaceships and wormholes, its probably science fiction."

That'd really only be the case if the author hadn't really read books before. I mean, if you set out to write a book where the setting is A SPACESHIP IN OUTER SPACE, you can bet that it's going to be strongly influenced by other science fiction novels that you've read. If an author's any good, they're going to be very conscious of the tropes of their genre, and can do interesting things to play off of their readers' assumptions.

China Mieville is an example of an author who's keenly aware of genre. He's stated that he plans to write a book in "every genre." Many of his books has a fantasy element to them, but he very intentionally moves away from Tolken's influences, who he describes as "the wen on the arse of fantasy literature".

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Is there any way of getting a history of topics for an IRC channel? If you double-click a channel window in mIRC you can view the last 5 or so topics (at least in my channel), but I'd like to go further back... I don't know if they're stored anywhere though...

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Crankit posted:

I like one called SumatraPDF
http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/free-pdf-reader.html

Thanks. This looks good.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Has there been any scholarly articles produced regarding "Let's Plays"? Is there a better place to ask this question?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

JDanielS posted:

Has there been any scholarly articles produced regarding "Let's Plays"? Is there a better place to ask this question?
I really have no idea (seriously doubt it though), but what exactly would the focus of the article be anyway? What about Let's Plays is there to write about?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Hoops posted:

I really have no idea (seriously doubt it though), but what exactly would the focus of the article be anyway? What about Let's Plays is there to write about?

I was wondering if anyone had produced writing about what sort of art experience is derived from watching somebody play a videogame. Like, immediately it would seem like a form of cinema, but when you take into account the social interaction that happens it seems like 'cinema' is not the best answer.

Also seems like it's a good field for sociology research.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Crankit posted:

There's Foxit, but I understand it has nearly as many bugs/exploit as regular Adobe Reader.

Any more info on this? Foxit is the de facto alternative that usually gets recommended in shsc. The only complaint I've got is that it wants to install the ask toolbar as well, but it's not required.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

JDanielS posted:

Here's one: via Wayback Machine And her expanded version here, part 1 of 4, I think.

There was also a very silly Linguistics paper some guy wrote about KFJ's Godhand LP. They show up sometimes in the LP sandcastle, cause a massive [stupid] derail, and then buzz off. I'd give you the lp paper but I deleted my copy. Found it!

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Thanks!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
If I'm reading a loving long .pdf in acrobat, is there any way I can bookmark where I am? I looked around the tools and nothing was terribly evident.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Speaking of bookmarks, what's the best private web-based bookmark tool to use?

I've got a few computers that I use and I would like a good place to store articles I can see myself searching for in the future.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

greazeball posted:

I've got a few computers that I use and I would like a good place to store articles I can see myself searching for in the future.

I think Chrome has something like this built in, but I don't really know a lot about it. http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=165139

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

ElectricSheep posted:

You might also be interested in an instrumental version of Corcovado.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I have two weeks of vacation coming up in June and wanted to book a plane, but I don't know the exact dates of when I'll be on vacation and probably won't until sometime middle to late next month.

What are my options to circumvent the rising cost of plane tickets? Do any airlines offer something that can help me buy my ticket now, but keep the dates a little flexible?

If it helps any, I'm in the military and they are pretty generous with people who are on orders, but I was wondering if there's an official way I can handle this now instead of having to wait for my leave orders to come down the week before I go on leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

greazeball posted:

check out readability and instapaper. They also can "sync" with phones and tablets. If you're on iOS goon-made Clink is also cool.