Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

I loving love "DEAD." When it showed up as a headline in the Derse newspaper, I actually laughed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Snowboat posted:

(Probably should have been "how to tell if a death is permanent," though)

This smells of butthurt. Like, what's more undignified about Feferi's death than any of the others? I'm also not clear on why Mom/Dad is ground for a TOO SOON BRO-esque declaration of bad taste.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

This smells of butthurt. Like, what's more undignified about Feferi's death than any of the others?

She died in the horn pile.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I like how that picture conveniently forgets about Nepeta's death, which was an outlier in being kind of sad and scary, but no less permanent. Also, Dave getting swiss cheesed by Jade was hilarious, and he bounced back from that just fine. (Speaking of, being blown up by a ton of shaving cream and having your killer do a happy little jig is pretty undignified as well, and once again she came back.)

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Or...I forgot her name. Vrisko?

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Nic Cage wistfully smiling on Vriska's death was pretty funny, so I guess that can go in the "permanent" stack.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

She died in the horn pile.

What could be more dignified than a flight of honks singing thee gently to thy sleep? :colbert:

It's how I want to go.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Johndeath #2 was goofy and anti climactic as all hell.

Actually his first death was anti climactic, too.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Johndeath #2 was goofy and anti climactic as all hell.
I wouldn't say Johndeath #2 was goofy, but it was anticlimactic. That entire flash was badass as hell, and then bam telestab. It was like that squeaky farting sound a balloon makes when you're slowly letting the air out. That's what Johndeath #2 was like.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
An Aranea/Rose Pesterlog will be as long as Act 5.2, so I doubt that pair will ever meet.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Welp, update.

Long-winded prattling aside, Aranea has the surest grip on the multidimensional timeline aspect of the game as anyone we've seen, without slipping into nihilism as, say, Aradia was prone to. Karkat would benefit from this little speech too, if he had the patience to sit through it all and digest it (credit to Terezi, I'd never really thought of her as the listening type).

Not much new information here though. We hear that Terezi's still guilty, and the explanation doesn't defer her guilt in a "there's nothing you could've done, it was fate" way without blaming her either. Very even-handed. I'd still like to hear more about what happened with Aranea and why she's here now though, we've yet to hear why she's chosen to show herself.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
Areana is very well-spoken. She's long-winded but in such a way that it doesn't feel long-winded until you finish the paragraph. It's kind of funny since Mindfang's journal was the most purple prose incomprehensible writing there could be, and yet Aranea herself has produced what may have been one of the easiest chatlogs to read relative to the complexity of the subject-matter.

I understand a lot of the stuff now a lot more too. The vein metaphor was fantastic.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Dolash posted:

Not much new information here though. We hear that Terezi's still guilty, and the explanation doesn't defer her guilt in a "there's nothing you could've done, it was fate" way without blaming her either. Very even-handed. I'd still like to hear more about what happened with Aranea and why she's here now though, we've yet to hear why she's chosen to show herself.
More like there were two things she could have done... let her go or kill her. If there was to be any additional paths, they would have spawned from hypothetical choices Terezi previously made in dealing with her Scourge Sister. These hypothetical choices and their consequences are probably spelled out in 8ad fan-fiction.

As to why she's chosen now to show herself, they are probably in tune with her role as a Hero of Light (probably Seer) determining the best path towards the future of her race.

edit: inserted the word "previously" without which these words wouldn't have made much sense.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 27, 2012

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Hmmmm, some interesting things to note here

-confirmation that Doc. Scratch is not coming back
-the only living Trolls (to Aranea's knowledge) are the meteor group and a 'fugitive' (uu/UU?)
-A1 Trolls had a problem player too (Meenah?)
-Aranea being a Hero of Light is interesting... but she doesn't specify what class she is. She seems to have more knowledge about it, so Seer maybe? Silph?

-totally speculation but I'm going to assume that the Summoner's A1 version went Godtier, and the wings 'carried over', sort of like the Sufferer's memories

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
I took the fugitive to be the batterwitch, but I'm pretty sure it was intentionally vague.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, it's probably the Condesce. She's not part of that "group" that Aranea was directly talking about.

E: I wonder if Terezi will ask her about the Cancer necklace.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Thundarr posted:

It was anti-climactic in the sense that Kanaya's rampage short-circuited the 3x showdown combo.

Honestly, Kanaya killing Eridan was the best moment in Homestuck. To me, anyway. Yes, she is my patron troll. Why do you ask?

EDIT: poo poo is getting too melancholy. QUICK, SOMEONE DO A CALLBACK!

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 27, 2012

Acidophilus
Aug 27, 2009

What's all this then?
And then Hussie lays down a excellent answer to what Karkat was complaining about before! I'm not used to questions in Homestuck be answered so quickly.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yep, those walls of text are just as aggrav8ting to get through as the old Mindfang journals. Please, may Aranea and Rose never, ever meet.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

This latest update brought to you by Tim Buckley and the Subnormality guy.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

An Aranea, Rose, Aradia, Dirk, and Auto-Responder pesterlog.

It shall be longer than Act 5 in its entirety.

(note: I just picked Aradia because she seemed the most wordy. There's probably a more obvious one I'm missing (Karkat doesn't count))

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 27, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Color Printer posted:

An Aranea, Rose, Aradia, Dirk, and Auto-Responder pesterlog.

It shall be longer than Act 5 in its entirety.

Then it's followed up by the reunion of Dave and Davesprite, which is like four words long.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Bobulus posted:

Then it's followed up by the reunion of Dave and Davesprite, which is like four words long.
Re: Jade
Davesprite: "We cool?"
Dave: "We cool."

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Bobulus posted:

"hows it been"
"weird troll poo poo you"
"ghostbusters"
"huh ok"

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

code:
Dave: hey
Davesprite: 'sup
Dave: nothin'
Davesprite: same
and then they wordlessly trade USB sticks of three years each of SBaHJ comics.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I presume the "fugitive" in question is the Condesce.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

The Condesce is the Alternian version of Meenah, so no, she wasn't part of their party. The sole fugitive is probably UU/uu, or at least that's what the line was meant to suggest.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah, I... completely forgot about her with the excitement of all the new trolls

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I don't know how the Condesce could possibly be there, she arrived on Scratch's moon long after the trolls entered the medium. I assume she was presented with an alternate method to entering the other universe.

Then again, they aren't in the medium anymore, but the Furthest Ring is weird and I don't know how the Condesce could have just gotten on there in the last year.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

The Condesce is the Alternian version of Meenah, so no, she wasn't part of their party. The sole fugitive is probably UU/uu, or at least that's what the line was meant to suggest.

No, she was definitely talking about the A2 contingent.

quote:

The mem8ers of your party, and one noteworthy fugitive, are the sole survivors.

Emphasis mine.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

I just figured she meant Noir.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

She was referring to survivors of the troll race. The "fugitive" is most definitely the Condesce, since she's the only living troll who isn't part of Terezi's group.

We still don't know exactly what UU/uu is/are.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Astro Ambulance posted:

Nah. She's talking about Trolls. Specifically in the "continue the species" sense. So definitely not Noir.

Agreeing with "Probably the TrollQueen, but intentionally left vague."

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Astro Ambulance posted:

Noir isn't a troll....???

I don't know why but this latest page is the first time Homestuck's occasional longwindedness broke my patience and I thought "Ugh just get on with it."

I got through wizard fanfiction, troll romance exposition, and mindfang's journals without complaint and it's this that finally bores me.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

This was informative in a lot of ways. I'm guessing she doesn't bring up her class because it simply isn't important. The Light tag tells us all we need to know.

Nthing that the fugitive is the Condesce. The Condesce being Alternian Meenah is something I'd failed to really consider. A total douche in both iterations I see!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Alternatively:

quote:

and one noteworthy fugitive

A certain beta Thief of Light would certainly count as a fugitive.

:vriskachat:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I'm thinking it's the Troll Empress as well. The "fugitive" wording might come from the fact that she's now working for Lord English, who is (directly or indirectly) opposing what's left of the trolls from getting the ultimate reward and restoring their species. Remember, he's the one who started all of the problems in Homestuck by glitching the A1 session so that it'd prevent the A1 trolls from making themselves and their ancestors. If he didn't do that, then the A1 trolls might've had a chance at winning. Even if they scratched, they wouldn't have become a bloodthirsty species because there would be no Doc Scratch. The possible A2 trolls wouldn't end up powergaming through their session and making a defected Genesis Frog because they were sublimely trained to powergame through their session instead of slowing taking it and absorbing the lessons. This would lead to no B1 Jack Noir, and so on and so on.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the "I feel as though we had one of the worst cases in our party." line is referring to Meenah. Meenah's been nothing but trouble so far, so I could see her constantly antagonizing the people in her session for the hell of it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Bobulus posted:

Alternatively:

A certain beta Thief of Light would certainly count as a fugitive.

:vriskachat:

I thought it was the handmaid at first, but it turns out she died normally in the regular troll universe, but even the wiki is a little vague on whether or not that's true, so...

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
Isn't it weird that both aranea and vriska were heroes of light? I thought ancestors and players had different powers - the humans sure as hell do, take dave and bro for example. They're time and heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rooreelooo posted:

Isn't it weird that both aranea and vriska were heroes of light? I thought ancestors and players had different powers - the humans sure as hell do, take dave and bro for example. They're time and heart.

Probably has to do with the fact that the trolls are near exact clones of their ancestors, while the kids are mixtures of their parents.