Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Danny Bro Pty Ltd posted:

I need someone to tell me about integrity. It's something I have been struggling with.

What is it? How does a person build it? By what standards are integrity measured?

This is the central question of an enormous field of philosophical inquiry (ethics). I'm just gonna throw out a few reactions/thoughts, but know that this is neither a stupid nor a small question.

The fact that you were so angry at this person's lack of ethics means that you already have your own conception of ethics. Maybe you will benefit from deliberately exploring what you think of as right and wrong, and why. Or maybe you'll be fine just continuing to follow it without having it fully defined - many people get by in this way, and in fact there are popular lines of thought in ethics that basically say "it's pointless to try to form a consistent, reason-based code of ethics, because in truth people are inherently emotional and partially irrational."

Still, I think it's worth thinking about. If you explore popular philosophical thought/writings on this, you will likely find that every philosopher's way of approaching ethics sounds reasonable in some ways, and at the same time, that most of them have holes if you probe them thoroughly enough. The value I find in all of them is that they make me think about why I think things are right and wrong, and in so doing, I reinforce my own dedication to living my life ethically.

I personally like to consider a Kantian ethic, though I am aware of its holes. "Act only according to that maxim whereby you can, at the same time, will that it should become a universal law." In other words, act like you think everyone ought to act, and things will be good. The real work by Kant is much more complicated and has some flaws, but I like this central idea anyway.

Finally, this will probably remain a formative moment for you. You will always remember how upset this person's lack of integrity made you, and when future opportunities come up for you to be a dick, you'll remember it and think, I don't want to be like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Do the terms "landlord" and "landlady" originate from Medieval serfdom?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

Do the terms "landlord" and "landlady" originate from Medieval serfdom?

According to Merriam-Webster, the first known use of the term is pre-12th century, so I'd say that's a pretty likely theory.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know of a link shortening service that you can put two (or more) links into it and it'll randomly send the person to only one of those links? Preferably so the same person will always go to the same link.

Baring that, a way to do that without dedicated web hosting.

I swear this isn't to enable mischief on my part, it's for a school thing for a friend of mine.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Danny Bro Pty Ltd posted:

How can I ensure I don't end up like that?

Never go into politics

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Does anyone know of a link shortening service that you can put two (or more) links into it and it'll randomly send the person to only one of those links? Preferably so the same person will always go to the same link.

I swear this isn't to enable mischief on my part, it's for a school thing for a friend of mine.

You can do that with any free webhosting and java script: http://www.javascriptkit.com/script/cut1.shtml

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Does it need to be one url, ie http://example.com/y8XE5r, and when different people click on it, it sends them to different sites? Or would it work to generate one short url for each of the sites, and then randomly send one to each person?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
If not too many people would be visiting it, if you can get the smallest amount of webhosting (or some webhosting through a school, etc.) then you could probably just set up a website that redirects to one of two sites randomly, and then give a tinyurl for that redirecting website. I'm not sure if that suits your needs, though.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

Gravity Pike posted:

Amway is a "multilevel marketing" scheme, not a pyramid scheme! There are significant differences such as:
  • Pyramid schemes are illegal in the United States, while MLM is just super shady and relies on questionably-legal recruiting techniques.
  • Uh...

Skeptoid has an article on MLM. The takeaway is that nobody makes any money off of it except for (gasp!) the ten or twelve guys at the very top of the pyramid. Amway is the least successful MLM company, from the employees perspective, with 99.9% of participants losing more money than they make.

Edit: vv I'll do that.

Thanks! Despite all this info from people that are decades older and tons smarter than him, he is proceeding anyway. His friend is apparently already working for them, and "if he makes any money I'll work for them too". Also apparently if he makes no money in 3 months he has a money-back guarantee :rolleyes:. God loving drat WHY ARE TEENAGERS SO DUMB

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

An observer posted:

God loving drat WHY ARE TEENAGERS SO DUMB

What is wisdom but intelligence plus experience?

Mr.Showtime
Oct 22, 2006
I'm not going to say that
I'm doing some research into animals, and am wondering if there are any animals, migratory or not that have multiple dwellings. Obviously migratory birds will have multiple nesting grounds but am curious if there's something more like an animal that will have multiple dens over a large area or something like that.

Thanks!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Has anyone else noticed these stupid butterfly ads that seem to be all over the internet? It's for some clothing company.

It seems to be on literally every site I have been on for the last week (well, not SA). I have never seen an ad on the internet so much. In the last 5 minutes I have seen it on youtube, Hipster Runoff and some random site I found when googling "what day is easter 2012?" Wtf.

Also, "Edun" might be the dumbest name for a brand I have ever heard.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

Has anyone else noticed these stupid butterfly ads that seem to be all over the internet? It's for some clothing company.

It seems to be on literally every site I have been on for the last week (well, not SA). I have never seen an ad on the internet so much. In the last 5 minutes I have seen it on youtube, Hipster Runoff and some random site I found when googling "what day is easter 2012?" Wtf.

Also, "Edun" might be the dumbest name for a brand I have ever heard.

Congrats, you are being targeted.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sorry I know this is horribly naive, but how does this work? I understand that Google tries to target people with specific ads, but how is it popping up on virtually every site for me?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Google serves ads for pretty much everywhere, so it's probably just that.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

NESguerilla posted:

Sorry I know this is horribly naive, but how does this work? I understand that Google tries to target people with specific ads, but how is it popping up on virtually every site for me?

I once bought tickets to a ballet when I was at work. Almost every ad I get when I'm at work is dancing equipment for children.

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011

An observer posted:

Thanks! Despite all this info from people that are decades older and tons smarter than him, he is proceeding anyway. His friend is apparently already working for them, and "if he makes any money I'll work for them too". Also apparently if he makes no money in 3 months he has a money-back guarantee :rolleyes:. God loving drat WHY ARE TEENAGERS SO DUMB

Teenagers are so dumb because their prefrontal cortexes are still developing. Read more here: http://berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2008/10/16_neurolaw.shtml

That doesn't make it any more pleasant for those of us watching the train wrecks, of course.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Time for a very odd question, that I hope somebody here can solve, actually related to internet ads. Convenient timing I guess.

About a month or two ago on Blip TV they started doing a thing where on the preroll advertisement you could select which ad you wanted to view. One of these ads was for a shaving razor of some sort, yet I cannot remember what brand it was, nor the name of the advertisement. It had this strange theme throughout where it did not tell you what the ad was about, and it featured a man travelling through Eastern European countries. He had a thick, Eastern accent, and he was constantly visiting women in each of the countries he visited, to see if men from that specific country "Did it more". What 'it' was is not eluded to until the end of the ad.

I really liked this advertisement for some odd reason, and now want to watch it again. Can anybody help me out here?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Google has a very large advertising reach with it's in-house, AdMob and Doubleclick brand, reaching about 47% of all advertising on the internet today. Yahoo is #2 with about 10% of the market.

When you visit a website with Google advertising on it, it sets a cookie. This cookie contains a unique identifier that tracks and follows what types of sites you visit and how you interact with content in order to figure out what your interests are. This enable Google (or whatever other network set their cookie) to deliver relevant and targeted advertising.

Now think about all the Google properties you use on a daily basis. Search, Gmail, Youtube, mobile, maps, location, plus, wallet, voice, etc. etc. That cookie says a lot about you and what your interests are. The larger the amount of data and your interests, the better an advertising company ads specifically to your wants and needs. Google has decided that this butterfly ad for a shirt company is perfect for your tastes and decided to make a large run of ads. Since Google's ads are on nearly half the sites on the internet, you're bound to see it many times a day.

Read about it from Google's privacy policy site: http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/ads/

As an experiment, load up private browsing and view those same sites again. They ads should be more generic network run ads, or at least targeted at the site content and not your specific cookie.

(Side note: I find it hilarious when people will post screen shots of weird or out-of-place ads on websites they encounter because it tends to show you a little about their browsing habits)

Another Person posted:

I really liked this advertisement for some odd reason, and now want to watch it again. Can anybody help me out here?

Try the Internet Necromancy thread.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 27, 2012

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Read about it from Google's privacy policy site: http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/ads/

There is a link for it in there, but going to the google ad preferences page will show you the dirt google has on you: https://www.google.com/ads/preferences/

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Can someone explain for me the linguistic logic (I hope that's the right phrase) behind the word pairing "in-chief"? For example, Commander-in-chief, examination-in-chief. I don't understand exactly what those words together really mean and the logic and history behind them.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah, this is called retargeting in the business. You've been to either that particular site or one linked to it, so you've been marked down as a good target for this brand. Now for a while you'll see their ads wherever you go.

It's particularly annoying when someone sends you a link to a horrible pair of shoes like 'ha ha, look at these horrible shoes' and then they follow you around the internet for a week.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Can I get some recommendations for eBay sniping programs? Must be free of course. Also, can it be done without my computer connected to the internet or even turned on?

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
I mailed something rather important from Atlanta to Seattle, USPS priority, with tracking. The tracking currently lists the package as "out for delivery" in Atlanta. Assuming that I put the addresses in the right place (I and the guy who was helping me mail everything both double-checked it) what might cause this?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Can I get some recommendations for eBay sniping programs? Must be free of course. Also, can it be done without my computer connected to the internet or even turned on?

eBay sniping programs are useless ever since eBay supported automatic max bids.

No one uses them anymore.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

FCKGW posted:

Isn't this how bidding has been for at least 15 years?

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

FCKGW posted:

No, because if I put in my max bid now, I'll have a higher chance of being beaten since there is a large timeframe for other bidders. Sniping ensures that no one can bid higher if I am the highest bidder. And even if I do remain the highest bidder with my initial max bid, I'll probably never get it for the lowest price possible since others will be bidding and jacking up the price I end up paying.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

No, because if I put in my max bid now, I'll have a higher chance of being beaten since there is a large timeframe for other bidders. Sniping ensures that no one can bid higher if I am the highest bidder. And even if I do remain the highest bidder with my initial max bid, I'll probably never get it for the lowest price possible since others will be bidding and jacking up the price I end up paying.

No, because if everyone puts in their max bid then the lowest you could 'snipe' it for is more than their max bid. Which is exactly what you'd get it for anyway.

Read the FAQ, a max bid isn't you bidding the highest that you would do and calling it a day, it's telling EBay the highest you'd bid and they'll increment your bid UP TO that until you hit the max.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

No, because if everyone puts in their max bid then the lowest you could 'snipe' it for is more than their max bid. Which is exactly what you'd get it for anyway.

Read the FAQ, a max bid isn't you bidding the highest that you would do and calling it a day, it's telling EBay the highest you'd bid and they'll increment your bid UP TO that until you hit the max.

The last reply wasn't explicit -- the sniping has a specific temporal function -- it submits your max bid right before the auction ends, which means you de-interleave your action from other bidding actions. Whether that helps you get the best price is debatable.

I've used gixen.us in the past. It seems shady as hell but I don't think I've been wronged by it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

The last reply wasn't explicit -- the sniping has a specific temporal function -- it submits your max bid right before the auction ends, which means you de-interleave your action from other bidding actions. Whether that helps you get the best price is debatable.

I've used gixen.us in the past. It seems shady as hell but I don't think I've been wronged by it.

Yes, but if your max bid is not higher than a max bid someone else entered earlier then eBay will resolve the auction in their favor anyway and acting at the last second didn't give you an advantage. The current price of the item is only guaranteed to be above the second-place max bid placed, for all you know the frontrunner would have been willing to pay another $500 on top of what the page says.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
And by trying to snipe it at the end you end up losing the item if their max bid was, say $5 over your snipe bid. Yeah, I guess there are scenerios where their max bid isn't their true max bid so 'sniping' (bad term for what is in effect putting in your max bid and seeing if it is higher than theirs) could save you some money, but I think you'd end up losing on items that you might have spent the extra $10 on anyway more often than you'll save a little.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
E: in response to a few posts up

But not everyone's max bid is truly their max bid. Everyone wants a good deal on whatever item they're looking at, so if you bid high right from the start the price can only be high. The point of sniping is to outright prevent someone irrational to bid higher and higher until they do win, even if it's not really worth it. It's not guaranteed to work, but sniping can prevent a "bidding war"

Kritzkrieg Kop fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 27, 2012

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Read the eBay page again. If you bid high you will only end up paying one bid increment over whatever the next highest bid was. Other people do not make decisions based on your max bid because they don't get to see what it is, only that it was more than what the last guy bid, so you can't psyche people out by entering a misleading limit. All you do with this strategy is force yourself to spend more time reloading eBay because you're manually doing something their system offers to do automatically.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

haveblue posted:

Yes, but if your max bid is not higher than a max bid someone else entered earlier then eBay will resolve the auction in their favor anyway and acting at the last second didn't give you an advantage. The current price of the item is only guaranteed to be above the second-place max bid placed, for all you know the frontrunner would have been willing to pay another $500 on top of what the page says.

It's a gamble that maybe some people find exciting -- "can I gauge what everyone else's hidden max is (and bit just over that at the last second) and not influence their thinking by injecting my bid into the bid history?"

When sniping, ppl usually bid on items where the price is way below what they expect to pay. They are aware that there's going to be a rush of bids toward the end, even from folks who don't use snipes. I don't think the poster was thinking that he'd be able to successfully win stuff where the current bid was 59.99 and hoping to win it with a sniped max bid of 60.00.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Basically,

Scenario 1:
Auction starts at $1.
6 days out: You bid $100. You are now winning with a bid of $2.
1 day out: Someone else bids $50. You are now winning with a bid of $51.
End result: You win for $51.

Scenario 2:
Auction starts at $1.
6 days out: you bid $100. You are now winning with a bid of $2.
10 seconds left: Someone crafty thinks, hah! I would pay up to $50 for this and it's only at $2! I WILL SNIPE!
End result: the same.

Sniping only works, I guess, if there's zero bids at all, but if that's the case then you probably don't need to snipe.

Bid what you want to pay for the item. No more, no less. Unless you enjoy gambling or lying to yourself about what you're actually willing to pay, but eBay ceased being that fun a decade ago.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Golbez posted:

Bid what you want to pay for the item. No more, no less. Unless you enjoy gambling or lying to yourself about what you're actually willing to pay, but eBay ceased being that fun a decade ago.

This ignores some fairly basic psychology. You are assuming that everyone will do this strategy. Check out scenario 3:

Auction starts at $1.
1 day out: Someone else bids $40. You are now winning with a bid of $41.
23 hours out: They decide they will try to bid a little more and raise their bid to $50. You are now winning with a bid of $51.
2 hours out: After a night's rest and some Googling around, they figure they can pay $70 for it. You are now winning with a bid of $71
End result: You win for $71.

Versus scenario 4:
Auction starts at $1.
1 day out: Someone else bids $40. They are now winning with a bid of $2.
5 seconds out: You bid $100. You are now winning with a bid of $41.
End result: You win for $41.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

baquerd posted:

This ignores some fairly basic psychology. You are assuming that everyone will do this strategy. Check out scenario 3:

Auction starts at $1.
1 day out: Someone else bids $40. You are now winning with a bid of $41.
23 hours out: They decide they will try to bid a little more and raise their bid to $50. You are now winning with a bid of $51.
2 hours out: After a night's rest and some Googling around, they figure they can pay $70 for it. You are now winning with a bid of $71
End result: You win for $71.

Versus scenario 4:
Auction starts at $1.
1 day out: Someone else bids $40. They are now winning with a bid of $2.
5 seconds out: You bid $100. You are now winning with a bid of $41.
End result: You win for $41.

Versus scenario 5:
Auction starts at $1.
1 day out: Someone else bids. They are now winning with a bid of $2.
5 seconds out: You bid $100. They are now winning with a bid of $101.
End result: You lose.

The simple fact of the matter being you have no way of knowing which way it's going to go, so why not just shed the stress and make a sane bid and be done with it?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Golbez posted:

Versus scenario 5:
Auction starts at $1.
1 day out: Someone else bids. They are now winning with a bid of $2.
5 seconds out: You bid $100. They are now winning with a bid of $101.
End result: You lose.

The simple fact of the matter being you have no way of knowing which way it's going to go, so why not just shed the stress and make a sane bid and be done with it?

I just want to clarify, it sounds like you can't see why someone would want the "stress" of saving $30 on a winning bid?
Apparently because in the case they don't win a bid the outcome is the same?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Crankit posted:

I just want to clarify, it sounds like you can't see why someone would want the "stress" of saving $30 on a winning bid?
Apparently because in the case they don't win a bid the outcome is the same?

Because there's no way to make saving $30 more likely to happen, so doing a bunch of meaningless actions to convince yourself that you did is a waste of time and effort. Why do you think sniping software is now very rare and unreliable? It's a dead field because demand dried up because eBay killed it.

We can make up different scenarios with different outcomes until the cows come home but eBay does not give you enough information to figure out which scenario applies to a given auction until it's over, and obsessing over something you have no real power to change causes stress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

haveblue posted:

Because there's no way to make saving $30 more likely to happen, so doing a bunch of meaningless actions to convince yourself that you did is a waste of time and effort. Why do you think sniping software is now very rare and unreliable? It's a dead field because demand dried up because eBay killed it.

We can make up different scenarios with different outcomes until the cows come home but eBay does not give you enough information to figure out which scenario applies to a given auction until it's over, and obsessing over something you have no real power to change causes stress.

This is the second time someone (maybe you) has said that 'eBay killed sniping' with this kind of bidding. But this is the auction style that has been in place since at least the late 90s, so just how long ago did eBay kill sniping? Wasn't this always the style, it's just that, back in the day, there was more interesting stuff on eBay and it was more fun to try to snipe it, before people realized just how the auctions worked?