Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Holly
May 29, 2007

the George Washington of breadfucking
a pal hooked me up with some old space stuff the other day.
they've got me watching 2001 again.

Bloody Holly fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

djfooboo posted:

Wonder how long the color lasts under the blasting of the Florida sun

That Loch Ness Monster has been in the water since at least 2001 -- I have photos in front of it from my wedding. It does appear to have faded since then, though.

It's hard to tell if this is just exposure related, but compare this photo, taken in 2011:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8348059@N02/5590573532/

With this one, taken in 2005:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27915232@N02/6127923592/

einTier fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 27, 2012

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

poo poo I was wondering where the thread went. That Normandy is awesome.

If season 7 is out I'm going to have to hit the nearby candy shop that labels then and destroy their box...

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I'm pretty sure someone earlier in the thread discussed how they protect the outdoor models by coating them with a protective varnish. They do fade, it just takes a lot longer than normal.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Merchant of Death posted:

You will spend more on shipping than on the bricks, nothing in it is really rare or expensive other than the few dark/earth blue pieces
How does stuff like that work? What colors are particularly rare or valuable? How much do they cost in relation to more common colors?

How much would the parts for this cost, for example?

For reference, all the Earth Blue parts:

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Your main issue are the mudguards, they're only available in a very limited selection of colours, and aren't available in that colour at all: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=50745

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gravy Jones posted:

If Lego did some sort of Space Marine line it would sell so well. I mean it might go against the whole "no war" thing, but they seem to skirt the edge of that and it could just as easily be pushed as police/adventure/exploration. More Mass Effect 1 & 2 then Mass Effect 3.
A Mass Effect license would be perfect. Even if the third game was not good, the designs and vehicles are all excellent and are good for making sets out of. A Lego Mako. Lego Normandy.

A Build-Your-Own-Shepherd set, with both male and female options. :v:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I was browsing my local KMart yesterday and picked up the Alien Conquest Mothership for $49 and a Garbage Truck for $19.

The truck was a fun, quick build and I love the movement of the back of the truck.

The mothership is huge and great to play with. I spent way too long spinning it around to trigger the sound block it has hidden underneath the main part of the ship.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

cyberia posted:

The mothership is huge and great to play with. I spent way too long spinning it around to trigger the sound block it has hidden underneath the main part of the ship.

I'm a little annoyed by the mechanism that triggers that. Mine seems to get out of line and hang a bunch. Otherwise the set is awesome, but that one thing just annoys me.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

cyberia posted:

I was browsing my local KMart yesterday and picked up the Alien Conquest Mothership for $49 and a Garbage Truck for $19.

The truck was a fun, quick build and I love the movement of the back of the truck.

Mine is going to stay together until the ghost train comes out and I need the tracks.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Bloody Holly posted:

You make that? It's pretty slick, I may have to use it as an av sometime.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I figured as much, but figured it was worth asking. Guess I'll have to settle for robot claws arms and sun-tracking solar panels.

A remote ground vehicle is pretty easy, and depending on what it does you can make it as challenging as you like.

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002
Are any UK goons heading to AFOLCON in Manchester in May?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MichaelFlatley posted:

Leave London? Pssh, no.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

MichaelFlatley posted:

I've been considering it but I won't be able to attend one of the days due to prior committments and don't want to pay full price for a single day. I'll probably just end up going on one of the public days with Gravy Jr in tow.... and maybe a second time by myself.

The venue is massive and they're going for a world record Lego mosaic which I thought would be a cool thing for the kid to take part in even if he doesn't understand what's going on yet.

Edit: Lighthouse is 30% off on Amazon UK (very, very tempting). I built Rescue Robot (which is still half price) yesterday. Fairly dull but better than the Creator T-Rex which I really wasn't a fan of. And the light block is cool. Brick Badger is fairly autonomous now with the exception of adding new sets and sometimes I forget to check it myself. If anyone ever notices it acting flaky feel free to pm me.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 28, 2012

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Official Hi-Res promotional images for The Lord of the Rings stuff is currently in the process of being added to the LOTR thread on Eurobricks (http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59315&st=3300).

p.s.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 28, 2012

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Odds on the ring actually having the inscription on the inside?

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Odds on the ring actually having the inscription on the inside?

It didn't when I saw it at the UK Toyfair...

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Friar Zucchini posted:

How does stuff like that work? What colors are particularly rare or valuable? How much do they cost in relation to more common colors?

How much would the parts for this cost, for example?

For reference, all the Earth Blue parts:

Your best bet for working out pricing and availability is using LDDManager, it's linked earlier in the thread. it gives you a nice readout of the parts you need and the availability of said part. if it doesn't exist it also gives you some alternatives as to which colours you can use.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Gravy Jones posted:

Official Hi-Res promotional images for The Lord of the Rings stuff is currently in the process of being added to the LOTR thread on Eurobricks (http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59315&st=3300).

These are awesome, I want all of them. I have no place to put them but I still want them.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Mr. Glass posted:

Awesome! Although I think the back of your redone engines and your nose fins look a bit more like the SR-1 than the SR-2 (http://phobos.aftertomorrow.net/images/articles/171.jpg is a decent comparison)

I should probably stop messing with this model if i'm ever intending on building it but i changed it up a bit more.
The inner winglets are at a slight angle on the SR2 and they are not on my initial models.
I also redid the panels on the front to not be at an angle and more inline with the main body.I also changed some of the colouring on it. mostly on the wings them selves. i made the engine coil things a bit taller as well since they are more sticky outy on the SR2.

Normandy SR2 v.3

Bloody Holly
May 29, 2007

the George Washington of breadfucking

Saint Sputnik posted:

You make that? It's pretty slick, I may have to use it as an av sometime.

yep, and by all means.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
No S7 at my WHSmiths yet, and there might not be for a bit. They've got a box of 6, and from somewhere have a new box of 5. :(

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Gravy Jones posted:

This would have made the ewoks considerably more interesting.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Gravy Jones posted:

This is murder! Murder! You'll all be guilty, and you're doing it for nothing! Killing me won't bring back your goddamn honey!

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Saint Sputnik posted:

This is murder! Murder! You'll all be guilty, and you're doing it for nothing! Killing me won't bring back your goddamn honey!

Hahahaha

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

AzMiLion posted:

I should probably stop messing with this model if i'm ever intending on building it but i changed it up a bit more.
The inner winglets are at a slight angle on the SR2 and they are not on my initial models.
I also redid the panels on the front to not be at an angle and more inline with the main body.I also changed some of the colouring on it. mostly on the wings them selves. i made the engine coil things a bit taller as well since they are more sticky outy on the SR2.

Normandy SR2 v.3

Can we get a parts list on that one? And maybe the LDD thing or whatever? I need to build that sucker.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Normandy + S7 Space Ranger + Plaque for a Mass Effect version of the Planets sets.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Oh man, totally didn't realize you had built a shuttle into the base of the stand. I might have to buy the pieces for one of those :3: (but in ME3 colors, gently caress cerberus)

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Now someone needs to create a Sovereign MOC. And minifig-scale Geth troopers.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Gravy Jones posted:

Normandy + S7 Space Ranger + Plaque for a Mass Effect version of the Planets sets.

Building a little plaque for it to go on now. parts list and both LDD files once it's done. Thinking to just slap a N7 logo on the plaque or something. Great to have this much positive feedback from goons!
EIDT//DONE.

Normandy V.3
N7 Stand is optional, but awesome. the other stand is indeed the shuttle from ME2/3.
have some pictures.

FIXED THE RESERVE N, SEE?

Parts list
Link for the N7 Stand Version
Link for the Shuttle Stand Version

LDD Files
N7 Stand LXF File.
Shuttle Stand LXF File

Notes
-Parts list are checked for availibility of blocks on bricklink, everything should be available.
-I haven't been able to work out if the hinges are able to support this much weight on the wings, if it turns out they don't i'll help you work out a good looking solution.
-Please do not repost these models as your own, at this point I have quite some time put into them and I would hate it if people take credit for them somewhere else. feel free to repost but please credit me if you do.
-If you actually build a physical version of this I would like pictures.
Any questions or whatever about the models or LDD related questions, feel free to mail me at azmilion @ gmail . com

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 28, 2012

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Nice stand, looks like it might overbalance and fall over easily though.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Luminaflare posted:

Nice stand, looks like it might overbalance and fall over easily though.

Eh, most of the weight is distributed around the attachment point for the stand, i think it'll do just fine.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

VW Camper Van build is very cool, lots of neat techniques, but 1300 pieces sure is a lot of pieces to dump out on the table. I don't know how people build sets with 2-4 times as many without going mad. I know some sets use numbered bags that you don't open until a certain point... do all the big sets do that?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Flippin' sweet, but why is the N backwards?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

smackfu posted:

VW Camper Van build is very cool, lots of neat techniques, but 1300 pieces sure is a lot of pieces to dump out on the table. I don't know how people build sets with 2-4 times as many without going mad. I know some sets use numbered bags that you don't open until a certain point... do all the big sets do that?

Yeah, pretty much. For the Grand Emporium I just built, it was bags labeled 1 to 3. Some people just sort all the pieces though.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Gravy Jones posted:

Goddamn, I want all of them.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Mr. Glass posted:

Flippin' sweet, but why is the N backwards?

:doh:
Fixed it!

updated the parts list as well!
Fixed part link

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 28, 2012

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

The_Doctor posted:

No S7 at my WHSmiths yet, and there might not be for a bit. They've got a box of 6, and from somewhere have a new box of 5. :(

I wouldn't worry about what they're still stocking. Mine still have S6 constantly fully stocked (they mic boxes to keep the one by the till full) and a fairly full looking S5 box still knocking about.

The S7 came in earlier on in the day when I went in, so I literally got fresh pickings over the whole lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Gravy Jones posted:

That Uruk-hai Army set is going to sell like hotcakes.