Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Someone's been posting fan art of the Digimon kids God Tier garb and the digimon as kernelsprites. It's pretty great. And it just struck me how similar HS and Digimon is in terms of being the heroes of a particular aspect.

I also am really looking forward to seeing fanart of Meenah/Aranea/Kanaya in god tier garb now that they have defined aspects and classes to use as reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Loved this little chat. Exposition without being too long-winded. A peek at some non-Scratchified trolls.

Also:

code:
GC: 1 JUST W1SH 1 COULD T3LL H3R TH4T
AG: Which one would you tell it to?
GC: HUH?
AG: The one who fought with Noir, or the one who didn't?
Okay, seriously, all Vriskachat aside, there's no freaking way Andrew would bring up Beta-Vriska at this late stage of the game if she didn't still have some role to play.

:holy:

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Lord of Laughton posted:

Someone's been posting fan art of the Digimon kids God Tier garb and the digimon as kernelsprites. It's pretty great. And it just struck me how similar HS and Digimon is in terms of being the heroes of a particular aspect.

Both Digimon and Pokemon (and Pokemon) are popular partially due to how customizable characters are. It's very appealing, the concept that you can make your own hero out of all these aspects/Companion creature/elements.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I think there's been allusions in the past that the Sylph is the flipside (probably passive version) of the Witch. But that was probably long before Andrew thought up this whole convoluted active/passive bullhokey.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

JT Jag posted:

I think there's been allusions in the past that the Sylph is the flipside (probably passive version) of the Witch. But that was probably long before Andrew thought up this whole convoluted active/passive bullhokey.

I think when Kanaya (Slyph of Space) and Jade (Witch of Space) were comparing notes on frog-finding, Kanaya described the Slyph as a "more magical witch" or something like that.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Thief of Life sounds totes OP.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Yes:

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005205 posted:

GG: what is a sylph?
GA: I Think Its Sort Of Like A Witch
GA: But More Magical
GG: a magical witch???
GA: Yes Im Completely Certain Of That Suddenly
GG: thats awesome

That's really the main reason anyone was expecting the sylph and witch classes to be associated.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Seoinin posted:

Thief of Life sounds totes OP.

It is a properly villainous combination for a kill-the-universe-to-make-myself-immortal antagonist.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Thundarr posted:

It is a properly villainous combination for a kill-the-universe-to-make-myself-immortal antagonist.

AKA: The Kefka

Edit: Now that I think about it, Jack and Kefka follow a pretty similar pattern:
- Begin life as the goofy-dressed sidekick to the main villain
- Commit some atrocious
- Gain ultimate power through the good guys loving up, kill your boss.
- Destroy the world.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 29, 2012

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
SON OF A SUBMARIN--ER

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Starting to see where we're going with this scene. Pink moon, Meenah, Aranea, Terezi, Vriska, and possible guest appearances by Karkat, Dave, and sleeping Roxy.

Aranea's been pretty self-assured and unflappable so far, I'm curious if this meet-up will cause something unexpected to happen? I've been trying to work out just what role these A1 ancestor-players are meant to play, and all I can guess is that Meenah's more trouble than she looks.

Still not totally happy with the dream bubbles, especially since Aranea appears to be a font of authorially-approved wisdom on the subject rather than just a new perspective (just a gut instinct of mine, could be wrong). Kind of getting tired of all the characters who are portrayed as wise, knowing, or otherwise collected endorsing them.

Oh, interesting side note, it appears all the A1 ancestors escaped into the dream bubbles, not just the two we've seen so far.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I can't wait until we find out what John's powers actually do besides the windy thing. At this point everyone else's powers seem a lot better in comparison.

I mean come on, Thief of Life? So their power is basically stealing the life out of other people and hoarding it, so they have extra lives or something (or are just really hard to kill).

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I still wonder if any of them could take John in a straight up fight, is the thing. He drilled a hole through to the core of a planet, for gently caress's sake-- that level of gross physical power is useful in it's own right.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Dolash posted:

Oh, interesting side note, it appears all the A1 ancestors escaped into the dream bubbles, not just the two we've seen so far.

Judging by how the A1 trolls are turning out so far, A1 Dolorosa is going to be a total skank.

oh god a1 dualscar is going to be a legitimately cool dude isnt he

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Bobulus posted:

AKA: The Kefka

Edit: Now that I think about it, Jack and Kefka follow a pretty similar pattern:
- Begin life as the goofy-dressed sidekick to the main villain
- Commit some atrocious
- Gain ultimate power through the good guys loving up, kill your boss.
- Destroy the world.
Jack even had his nihilist idlely zapping people like ants stage too. Except instead of sitting on top of a tower with a doom laser, he teleported around stabbing troll dreamselves.

He used a doom laser too though sometimes.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Mazerunner posted:

Hmmmm, some interesting things to note here

-confirmation that Doc. Scratch is not coming back
-the only living Trolls (to Aranea's knowledge) are the meteor group and a 'fugitive' (uu/UU?)
-A1 Trolls had a problem player too (Meenah?)
-Aranea being a Hero of Light is interesting... but she doesn't specify what class she is. She seems to have more knowledge about it, so Seer maybe? Silph?

-totally speculation but I'm going to assume that the Summoner's A1 version went Godtier, and the wings 'carried over', sort of like the Sufferer's memories

Heh, nailed it :smug:

Interesting that Aranea was god-tier too. Wonder if all the A1 Trolls went god-tier? That'd be pretty something, I guess. All that power/development and still unable to win.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Judging by how the A1 trolls are turning out so far, A1 Dolorosa is going to be a total skank.

oh god a1 dualscar is going to be a legitimately cool dude isnt he

Well of our only two examples, only Aranea seems to have had substantially different personalities between the two troll universes. Meenah doesn't seem to be very different at all from the bits we've seen so far of the Condesce.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Bobulus posted:

Random thought of the night: If trolls going crazy and killing others is a normal part of their society and biology (see: Gamzee, the concept of :d:), was Eridan actually that big of an rear end in a top hat, or was it partly Fefari's fault for cutting off the :d: just because she thought he wouldn't have anyone left to kill?

Note1: Keep in mind that people absolve Vriska of killing lots of anonymous trolls because of ~upbringing~.

Note2: I don't actually agree with the argument put forth above, I'm just trying to generate discussion.

Feferi was maybe slightly irresponsible in ditching her genocidal moirail, but she was a teenage girl and her moirail was a giant douche that she was beyond tired of. Her dialogue specifically is like "now that you can't hurt anyone anymore, I don't need to babysit you, thank God", but of course he could hurt people, she just thought better of him than murdering his friends.

The thing is though, even then, Karkat was pretty close to being a moirail for Eridan during their adventure and the dude still snapped. He was just a very abrasive character who made it his business to get along with nobody and alienate everybody, and a moirail-ship involves give and take which wasn't really present past Eridan feeding Glb'golyb for Feferi.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Thundarr posted:

Well of our only two examples, only Aranea seems to have had substantially different personalities between the two troll universes. Meenah doesn't seem to be very different at all from the bits we've seen so far of the Condesce.

I was actually comparing them to the A2 players, but that's a good point.

Thank god, I don't think I could handle a likable iteration of Eridan/Dualscar.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Say what you will about his character, but the Destroyer of Hope was pretty drat good at his job (unfortunately).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dolash posted:

Starting to see where we're going with this scene. Pink moon, Meenah, Aranea, Terezi, Vriska, and possible guest appearances by Karkat, Dave, and sleeping Roxy.

Aranea's been pretty self-assured and unflappable so far, I'm curious if this meet-up will cause something unexpected to happen? I've been trying to work out just what role these A1 ancestor-players are meant to play, and all I can guess is that Meenah's more trouble than she looks.

Still not totally happy with the dream bubbles, especially since Aranea appears to be a font of authorially-approved wisdom on the subject rather than just a new perspective (just a gut instinct of mine, could be wrong). Kind of getting tired of all the characters who are portrayed as wise, knowing, or otherwise collected endorsing them.

If there was ever a good place for wise and knowing people to show up, it'd probably be on a voyage through the land of the dead. All the dead. From all timelines.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I'm sort of ready for this interlude to be done with as soon as possible, to be quite honest. It feels like before today's update nothing was really happening, and even this didn't really need the buildup it was getting, but eh.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Mazerunner posted:

Interesting that Aranea was god-tier too. Wonder if all the A1 Trolls went god-tier? That'd be pretty something, I guess. All that power/development and still unable to win.

I doubt it, since they said they were nowhere near powerful enough to do a damned thing by the time the reckoning came, and demolished their battlefield.

Dick Bitchwhistle
Oct 28, 2007

by Lowtax
If Rose, Vriska, and Aranea all were Light players who reached God Tier, why is Aranea the only one who displayed healing abilities? Shouldn't Rose have been able to heal WV without waiting for a dead Witch of Life to do it for her?

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
The Karkat that we saw in the last Roxy flash had a God Tier outfit and was with Nepeta. So given that these guys take on the appearance of themselves in specific dream bubbles (like how Terezi changed appearance), could that guy be our Karkat?

If so, I'm really looking forward to that conversation.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Because nothing about a Seer or a Rogue particularly implies healing. Light implies fortune and favor and all-together beneficial things, but that's a lot more open to interpretation than, say, 'Life' might be. I'm not going to draw one, but imagine a venn diagram with healing in the middle and 'Light' and 'Life' on different sides.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Alpha Karkat never reached god tier, though.

I'm guessing the "healing" factor is due to her Sylph class. She seems have a bit of a meddler thing going on in that regard, just like Kanaya did.

Maybe this means as a Witch of Life, Feferi could revive people but not heal them?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Nate RFB posted:

Alpha Karkat never reached god tier, though.

I'm guessing the "healing" factor is due to her Sylph class. She seems have a bit of a meddler thing going on in that regard, just like Kanaya did.

Maybe this means as a Witch of Life, Feferi could revive people but not heal them?

Maybe. I think it's far more likely that healing isn't the exclusive purview of Life, it just has a higher predilection towards it as an element. If you happened to have a session with, say, a Prince of Life (which would, presumably, just destroy life in some sort of horrible biological sideshow of terror and mindfuck) you might need one of the other elements to step in as a healer.

If a Thief of Life is just some sort of highly effective, life-stealing regenerating immortal murderfiend then she might not be capable as a healer. Hence, Sylph of Light.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

piemanmoo posted:

If Rose, Vriska, and Aranea all were Light players who reached God Tier, why is Aranea the only one who displayed healing abilities? Shouldn't Rose have been able to heal WV without waiting for a dead Witch of Life to do it for her?
I'd wager that a healer of Light is more about mental healing than physical (as evidenced by how she's helping Terezi work through her feelings of guilt.)

Plus "restoring sight" would probably be within Light's purview anyway (and I think is the first time Light is used in its usual definition rather than the weird "luck" thing I still don't get.)

e:

Cabbit posted:

Maybe. I think it's far more likely that healing isn't the exclusive purview of Life, it just has a higher predilection towards it as an element. If you happened to have a session with, say, a Prince of Life (which would, presumably, just destroy life in some sort of horrible biological sideshow of terror and mindfuck) you might need one of the other elements to step in as a healer.
That makes sense; it's established that anyone can revive another player via corpsesmooch, but only Feferi's been seen to bring someone back who's not a player.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I was actually comparing them to the A2 players, but that's a good point.

Thank god, I don't think I could handle a likable iteration of Eridan/Dualscar.

You imply that Dualscar was not eminently likeable in the first place.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Karkat really needs to have a serious discussion with Terezi at some point, it definitely seems from this Aranea conversation she'd be pretty introspective about this kind of stuff after all.

Snowboat
Mar 24, 2012

by angerbutt
I don't know about you guys, but it looks to me like the writing in this last pesterlog is labored and lackluster. Like Hussie is having trouble with them, or just not feeling inspired.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Snowboat posted:

I don't know about you guys, but it looks to me like the writing in this last pesterlog is labored and lackluster. Like Hussie is having trouble with them, or just not feeling inspired.

I think you're mistaking characterization for author weariness. Remember, Aranea is a writer (self insert fanfic writer possibly) herself who's been dead for time unfathomable. A detached, and verbose, approach is fitting.

Snowboat
Mar 24, 2012

by angerbutt

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think you're mistaking characterization for author weariness. Remember, Aranea is a writer (self insert fanfic writer possibly) herself who's been dead for time unfathomable. A detached, and verbose, approach is fitting.

It's not just Aranea, but Terezi too. The whole structure of the conversation, the questions Terezi asks, it all seems artificial.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Nate RFB posted:

Karkat really needs to have a serious discussion with Terezi at some point, it definitely seems from this Aranea conversation she'd be pretty introspective about this kind of stuff after all.

I think he tried to, but I think it was a subject Terezi was trying to avoid thinking about too much at the time. She likes games and fun, which is why she preferred to stay in Can Town. When she does think about serious issues, she's does so away from Karkat and Dave-both are self-centered and not that much help.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
So I just realized a way we can get a THIRD overpowered supervillain. Okay, so the Condesce is already pretty powerful. But I'm starting to suspect she could become a godtier Thief of Life. After all, Jane does have a Life quest bed. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

One reason I think this could happen is that, thematically, Homestuck explores the idea of growing up and coming into your own as a person. And now, with Act 6, it's really been blurring the lines between Guardian and Kid. We see kid versions of Mindfang and the Condesce out in the Furthest Ring, as well as kid versions of the B1 Guardians. I don't think it would be entirely out of place to see the Condesce do something ridiculous, like trick someone into killing her on Jane's quest bed.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Snowboat posted:

It's not just Aranea, but Terezi too. The whole structure of the conversation, the questions Terezi asks, it all seems artificial.

Terezi is bummed out. :shobon:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

It really doesn't sound that much different from the times she's discussed the whole fate/luck thing with Dave.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Lupus Rufus posted:

kid versions of Mindfang

If you mean when Jake got knocked out, that was Aranea, right?

I don't think we've seen young Mindfang yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Wrist Watch posted:

If you mean when Jake got knocked out, that was Aranea, right?

I don't think we've seen young Mindfang yet.

Aranea is Mindfang. She confirmed it herself. She's just the pre-Scratch (A1) version.