Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Did my first inspection of the year.

One hive was nice and mellow. The other was not.

If you get a top bar, do NOT neglect it. A lot of the comb has fallen to the bottom of the hive, and is now a part of it. I'm not sure how we're going to clean it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catamar
May 23, 2008
I found this thread through the PI thread too! I keep my bees in a suburb of Boston. We did our second spring check 2 weekends ago and were thrilled to see that the bees were already coming back coated in pollen! Not just little pollen pants, but it looked like they'd been rolling around in it. We tried a new overwintering strategy and 9 of our 11 hives made it (last year I think 3/6 hives survived), but because the winter was so mild we don't know whether it was the hive setup or the weather.

Our location is lovely and there hasn't been a second nectar flow the last few summers so honey production has been tragically low. We also probably have about 10x more bees than the local flowers can support, but we recently got permission to plant about an acre and a half with whatever we want! Right now we're thinking a ton of white clover in the middle of the field and some raspberry canes and apple trees around the elevated edges. What do your bees eat?

Yeti Fiasco
Aug 19, 2010
Trees are really good since they give off a ton of flowers, see if you can't plant yourself up an orchard.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I went out to the community garden yesterday to get things set up for two new packages I am getting next Saturday. The hive that survived winter is doing great and I am going to make a split from it since its bubbling over with bees. I cleaned out the hive that didn't make it and see they starved to death. It was very sad, the queen and maybe a dozen bees were stuck to a frame near the top, most of them with their heads in the cells. They had honey around them and fondant on top, and there were bees that dies while chewing their ways out of their cells. Not certain what else I could have done for them considering.

So with that, I have 1 good hive and will be starting up 2 new ones with packages and 1 with a split. Would it be better for me to put one of the packages in the hive that died with 2 deeps full of drawn comb or should I use one deep with comb per package and let them both draw out the second box?

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008

Yeti Fiasco posted:

Do we have many British beekeeps here? I'm stuck on the isle of wight and am isolated from the affects of AFB and EFB, but I'd like to know how rife it is over the rest of the UK

Check out the BeeBase site. AFB/EFB aren't really hugely widespread on the mainland.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was reading a Smithsonian article about how bees find new hive locations and it said that returning scouts beep when they're sharing info about where they've been, and they headbutt other scouts who found lower quality sites.

They beep! :3:

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Dick Trauma posted:

I was reading a Smithsonian article about how bees find new hive locations and it said that returning scouts beep when they're sharing info about where they've been, and they headbutt other scouts who found lower quality sites.

They beep! :3:

Back to your SHSC pod!

Bees are amazing macro organisms and I can't wait my first hive arrives on April 18th! :3:

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I just got picked for a weekend beekeeping apprenticeship program this summer, at a rooftop farm in NYC. I have almost no direct experience with bees, but my interest in local food is probably what got me the gig. I'm so excited! Now to furiously read everything I can find about bees before we start next weekend...

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

showbiz_liz posted:

I just got picked for a weekend beekeeping apprenticeship program this summer, at a rooftop farm in NYC. I have almost no direct experience with bees, but my interest in local food is probably what got me the gig. I'm so excited! Now to furiously read everything I can find about bees before we start next weekend...

Hello Liz.

Small world.

Hope you enjoyed pouring those bees out!

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

ShotgunWillie posted:

Hello Liz.

Small world.

Hope you enjoyed pouring those bees out!

Haha, yes indeed. Can't wait to get back and play with them some more...

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Kinda excited today.

Five weeks ago I was in our hive that over wintered and seemed to be going gangbusters with the early spring. 1 deep and 2 medium and things looked well. We lost a hive last August so my fellow bee keeper (next door neighbor) and I had planed to buy a couple new queens and split this year. Upper medium has some drawn out comb but nothing else really. Cool, good inspection.

Last weekend (four weeks later) I go in again and do a complete tear down knowing that I would be out of town all week long and better get to things. Holy Smokes! Hive is practically jam packed, more bees than I've ever seen. Upper medium is full and mostly capped! Crap! I'm flying out in < 16 hours and all my supers are still sitting in sealed boxes with Para Moth. I find queen cups all over the place. I rip out all I can find thinking I've got them all. Take some supers out of storage and figure we'll slap some on when today. Getting all the queen cups should set them back about two weeks I hope.

Today my beekeeping partner comes over about noon and we're making a plan for the afternoon with a glass of wine in hand when about two minutes into the conversation she stops me and points to a red bud in my yard some 30 yds from our hive and maybe 20 feet from us. 12 feet up on a branch was a huge cluster of bees. gently caress they swarmed.

So we got out our spare deep and put in a few frames in a wheelbarrow and placed it under the tree. I climb about halfway up and give the branch one good violent shake. 2/3 rds of the cluster drops and about half of that in in the wheelbarrow/deep. An hour later they are all in the deep or flying around. I've stuck on an inner cover and we'll wait till nightfall to move them over to their permeate home. I think I just totally lucked out and captured my first swarm!

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.
^^ that's awesome! I'm only a second year beek so I shouldn't really be giving advice, but am I wrong in thinking that there's a possibility that you *did* rip out all the queen cells but then the hive swarmed anyway with the old queen leaving.

(Even if this is the case, this leaves the old hive queenless, I think it should be able to throw up some emergency cells, so you might come back in a few weeks and everything will be normal again.)

Then again, I'm a worrier. I found honey leaking out of the back of my hive today and freaked out, thinking it might be a heavy small hive beetle. Pulled apart the entire hive, found nothing. I probably broke some comb in a previous inspection and it dripped out.

I've also gotten a microscope so I can squint and unidentified blobs squished from a bee's gut and pretend they are Nosema spores.

I'm going to be *such* a good helicopter parent.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Opened the hive about a month-a month and a half ago and pulled out two frames loaded with honey, the hive looked great, laying queen, full frames at the beginning of March.

My dad wanted his own hive so he ordered a package and a hive and was just going to pull some brood frames out of mine when he got it. We havent been able to check my hive since the beginning of March due to the both of us being busy or the weather being cold/windy/rainy. He got his package and opened my hive and it was full of bees and honey but no brood.

So today I grabbed another queen and had to introduce it. I got like an eaves vent since noone knew what I was talking about when asking for wire mesh. The holes were too big so I used some fiberglass door screen material to cover it completely, I hope this doesnt annoy the bees. The plan is to introduce the queen and watch the reaction of the bees. We put the queen on one of the empty brood frames and watch the reaction. We used the vent to separate the queen with a couple attendants on top of the comb so she can start laying since there is no brood at all. The workers wandered around the queen but I didnt think their behavior was very aggressive. I havent really seen aggressive bee behavior so Im not entirely sure. When my dad was putting the vent cover on the comb he almost chopped the queen in half. I dont know if she is hurt or not, I hope not. I feel kinda bad now. We saw her lay after he had done that so I hope its alright. Right now she is on a frame of empty brood cells separated from the rest of the hive by the cover we fashioned with three workers. We are going to open up the hive in a couple days and hope for the best.

Ugh, bees!

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

The joy of new England winters means I just got my bees today. I'm quite jealous of those of you who've already got honey.

Here I am about to open up the box.

That's where the queen has been, and I've been advised to keep her in there for a week or two. Some of the other hives have killed the queen after a few days.

Steady... steady...

Then you gently, carefully, WHACK the box of bees down onto the hive.

Hundreds of bees will come pouring out. This is the part where you realize skipping the gloves and just wearing a T-shirt might not have been the wisest thing to do.

However, I only got stung twice, and it really didn't hurt that much. I put the sugar water on top of the hive, and I'll check up on them again next week sometime. I'm glad I finally have them!

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny
Awesome, but you don't want to keep your queen caged for a week or two! Replace the stopper with a mini marshmallow and let the workers eat their way to her it should take a couple of days quite enough time for the hive to get used to her pheromones

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

If you're getting stung while the bees are in swarm mode, you might be doing something wrong, too; moving too fast, or getting them pinched against a joint when moving, etc. They don't have anything to defend at that point and should be really docile. I probably should wear a veil, but I don't use any protection when setting up a new hive.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I also don't wear any gear when installing packages and have been stung in the 5 I have done so far. It also helps if you spray down the sides of the box with sugar water to preoccupy them while smacking the bow around and dumping out the bees.

One of the installs this year had a queen cage fall into the mass of bees. It was fun listening to and seeing everyone's reaction as I stuck my hand in the swarm and pulled out a fistful of bees. No stings.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 22, 2012

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Nebulis01 posted:

Awesome, but you don't want to keep your queen caged for a week or two! Replace the stopper with a mini marshmallow and let the workers eat their way to her it should take a couple of days quite enough time for the hive to get used to her pheromones

Well, other people who've gotten the hives from this company have reported that their queens have been killed because they didn't wait long enough. The head of the club recommended 5 days at a minimum.

OneTwentySix posted:

If you're getting stung while the bees are in swarm mode, you might be doing something wrong, too; moving too fast, or getting them pinched against a joint when moving, etc. They don't have anything to defend at that point and should be really docile. I probably should wear a veil, but I don't use any protection when setting up a new hive.

I think my two stings are because the bees got under some clothes and pressed up between my clothing and my skin.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

Pagan posted:

Your inner cover is on upside down. Flip it over and block the upper entrance with something to prevent the bees from accessing it.

If you don't, in 2-3 weeks they'll fill the extra space underneath with comb, probably full of honey and drone brood, assuming you're using foundation.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

ShotgunWillie posted:

Your inner cover is on upside down. Flip it over and block the upper entrance with something to prevent the bees from accessing it.

If you don't, in 2-3 weeks they'll fill the extra space underneath with comb, probably full of honey and drone brood, assuming you're using foundation.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll get that taken care of when I open the hive this weekend.

The weather since I got them home has been terrible; heavy rain the past two days, and high winds today. Nonetheless, I saw some of the girls out flying around, so I grabbed my camera.

Already got plenty of pollen! Who knows, maybe I will end up harvesting some honey this year.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
So many bees in my hive. I thought they were dead, but nope!

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

You mavericks with your bare arms and uncovered heads make me nervous (and jealous as you look so drat cool). I'm terrified of bee stings and dress up like a spacewoman even if I'm just taking a looksee.

I'm laid up injured, so my dad has been working on extending our apiary. Here are the posts in place, just need to lay the decking now.

We're getting 6 polystyrene hives this summer, bringing our number up to 13 hives (12 national and 1 rouge WBC that lives off in the wilderness). We decided to go polystyrene as we had a lot of woodpecker damage this year.

I miss working the bees, so am using my injury time to study for my BBA certificate in bee keeping. If I wanted to I could keep taking the exams and eventually become Master Bee Keeper. Man that sounds good.

Oh, yes, British bee keeper here! I'm over in Norfolk.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny
So I packaged my first hive ever on Wednesday and just check on them last night. I'm worried I failed at this :(

I shook them out and they went into the hive as planned. I performed a direct release of the queen, as my supplier said they had been together long enough, she came out of the cage dropped in between the frames and promptly flew off! I discovered yesterday night that the hive was empty but there was a nice ball of bees inside the wooden package box huddled together. So even though it was pretty cold (like 45F and raining all yesterday) i rehived them and they went strait down into the hive.

Is it possible they will survive? There were a considerable number of dead bees due to the rain and cool weather. I couldn't find the queen but assume since they were bundled together they might have her? I'm kind of scared this is all sorts of hosed up :(

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Pagan posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I'll get that taken care of when I open the hive this weekend.

The weather since I got them home has been terrible; heavy rain the past two days, and high winds today. Nonetheless, I saw some of the girls out flying around, so I grabbed my camera.

Already got plenty of pollen! Who knows, maybe I will end up harvesting some honey this year.

This is an amazing photo. Looks like she's carrying luggage! :3:

Do you have a larger version of it?

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008

Dr Scoofles posted:

Oh, yes, British bee keeper here! I'm over in Norfolk.

Hello fellow British bee goon!

I am so very jealous of your apiary, it looks amazing! I have a single national tucked away at the bottom of my garden..

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.

Nebulis01 posted:

So I packaged my first hive ever on Wednesday and just check on them last night. I'm worried I failed at this :(

I shook them out and they went into the hive as planned. I performed a direct release of the queen, as my supplier said they had been together long enough, she came out of the cage dropped in between the frames and promptly flew off! I discovered yesterday night that the hive was empty but there was a nice ball of bees inside the wooden package box huddled together. So even though it was pretty cold (like 45F and raining all yesterday) i rehived them and they went strait down into the hive.

Is it possible they will survive? There were a considerable number of dead bees due to the rain and cool weather. I couldn't find the queen but assume since they were bundled together they might have her? I'm kind of scared this is all sorts of hosed up :(

Did you leave the queen cage in the box? It still smells like queen, so the bees will be drawn to it. If the queen doesn't / didn't come back, you might be in trouble. You'll need another queen or at least a frame of bees with eggs that your bees can make into a queen.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

ShotgunWillie posted:

You were right, but it didn't take a week. I decided to do 9 frames to start, and left a space in the middle. This is what they did...

I felt bad scraping it off and destroying it, but it was only full of sugar water. The queen is out now, she was still alive and healthy. They had finished off the bucket of sugar water, too! I was surprised that they had drained it so quick.

Here's an artsy shot of how happy they were

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -