Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Gravity Pike posted:

This is literally why humans developed a sense of smell - to tell us whether something was food or not.

I don't mean to be a pedant, but smell is also very important for communication in animals, humans included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Noni posted:

it's normal to have a chest X-ray if you were negative on the first test, positive on the second.

In Japan, they just do the chest x-ray without a bubble test or anything.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
I am nearly goddamned braindead: what thread was it where people asked their granddads about what they did in world war 2? I tried searching for it and couldn't find it under several different queries.It's completely pissing me off, I loved that thread. ALso, there was one where some fatty on a scooter was whining at a WW2 vet about how hard his life was waiting in line or something, and the vet tapped his own prosthetic leg with his cane and told the fatass on the scooter to quit his whining--if anyone else recalls that post and has it, I would love to see it again.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
A couple questions:

Does anyone have experience either interning or working full time with Gerdau Ameristeel? I ask because I have an on-site interview in a couple weeks, and I use recreational drugs. Should I expect a drug test during this portion, or not until after?

Also, I'm trying to sell a Coca-Cola vending machine. It is in really good condition, and the refrigerant still works. I'm not positive if the electronics are still in working condition, though. I'm currently asking $500 for it on Craigslist; is that a reasonable price for a used, working vending machine?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

errol _flynn posted:

I am nearly goddamned braindead: what thread was it where people asked their granddads about what they did in world war 2? I tried searching for it and couldn't find it under several different queries.It's completely pissing me off, I loved that thread. ALso, there was one where some fatty on a scooter was whining at a WW2 vet about how hard his life was waiting in line or something, and the vet tapped his own prosthetic leg with his cane and told the fatass on the scooter to quit his whining--if anyone else recalls that post and has it, I would love to see it again.

Not sure off hand, but http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2701257 is dedicated to those questions.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I need a quick and dirty way to convert segments of video files (WMV or MPEG) into animated gifs. Is there a program out there that I can feed a video file and designate a timeframe(s) (e.g. 1:32 to 1:43) and it spits out a gif of the video between those times?

Windows preferred, but I can use Linux and OSX programs too if it comes to that.

Cruxxed Up
Mar 30, 2011

Now you've done it.

Trastion posted:

If you know what the company is that the job is for I would call and ask to speak to their HR department and ask them if this is how they handle things. Just tell them you wanted to be sure you were not giving your info to a Craigslist scammer. If it is how they do it then they will tell you. If it is not they may be glad to find out that someone is using them as part of their scam.

It is also possible that they will say that is not how they do it but they have some positions open and tell you how to apply for it.

Ah, problem is the ad was like most on Craigslist I see and it just said "a company that has been in business for 50 years is looking for blahblahblah."

I'm just going to go with my instincts and not followup on this. It's just a little too much trouble for an entry-level position that may or may not exist.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
Ah thanks Hughlander! See what I mean about being me nearly braindead? Toldya.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lawnie posted:

Also, I'm trying to sell a Coca-Cola vending machine. It is in really good condition, and the refrigerant still works. I'm not positive if the electronics are still in working condition, though. I'm currently asking $500 for it on Craigslist; is that a reasonable price for a used, working vending machine?

It depends. Some models of vending machine are highly desirable and run up huge prices. Some aren't and people will practically give them to you to haul them away.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Mak0rz posted:

I don't mean to be a pedant, but smell is also very important for communication in animals, humans included.

Is this a reference to the infamous Dutch Oven Theory of Sexual Selection? I thought Darwin really lost track of things after Origin Of Species.

Is there a version of the Bible written in normal English that people use today, or is the translation one of those contentious things?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It depends. Some models of vending machine are highly desirable and run up huge prices. Some aren't and people will practically give them to you to haul them away.

There are some pictures here if you think that might help identify its value. I really have no idea and I can't find much via google that lists actual prices.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crankit posted:

Is there a version of the Bible written in normal English that people use today, or is the translation one of those contentious things?

There's tons. This site lets you compare translations directly: http://bible.cc/ezekiel/23-20.htm

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Install Gentoo posted:

There's tons. This site lets you compare translations directly: http://bible.cc/ezekiel/23-20.htm

haha, that quote popped into my head a few days ago and I didn't know what it was from never would've guessed the bible.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
Is it a bad idea to try and learn two languages at once? Specifically, French and ASL. I've been learning French for about a year now, and have been pretty serious about it. In the past few months I've become interested in learning ASL as well, but I was wondering if someone with experience in languages could tell me if it would be better to become comfortable in a language first before trying another, or if I'd probably be fine learning both concurrently.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
They're distinct enough that it shouldn't be an issue. The problem is just making the time for each of them...

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Wagonburner posted:

haha, that quote popped into my head a few days ago and I didn't know what it was from never would've guessed the bible.

I'm guessing you saw it on TV or heard it on a podcast, maybe it was on SA, because in the last few days I heard it/saw it.

Thanks Install Gentoo, that's really helpful.

e: VVVV Aha, that must be what caused me to wonder and ask the question :downs:

Crankit fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 5, 2012

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Crankit posted:

I'm guessing you saw it on TV or heard it on a podcast, maybe it was on SA, because in the last few days I heard it/saw it.

Thanks Install Gentoo, that's really helpful.

It's a current banner ad.

ommega
Oct 21, 2010
Most travel sites let you compare ticket prices around 3 days before/after a set date, is there a site that would let me check prices for a whole month?

I need to check an international flight so Google flight doesn't help.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

ommega posted:

Most travel sites let you compare ticket prices around 3 days before/after a set date, is there a site that would let me check prices for a whole month?

I need to check an international flight so Google flight doesn't help.

Try this one: http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

I think if you set the departure date as the closest date in your month range, it will show you a month's worth of flights from that date on.

ommega
Oct 21, 2010

Fire In The Disco posted:

Try this one: http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

I think if you set the departure date as the closest date in your month range, it will show you a month's worth of flights from that date on.

That's perfect, thank you!

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I had this in the income tax megathread then thought better of it so here goes.

I have a conundrum. It's not so much about income tax preparation and filing as it is the mechanics and politics behind it. If this should be in D&D please tell me and I'll bugger off.

I just finished a discussion with a libertarian about the federal income tax. (Never do this) He wants to eliminate it so I asked him what he thought would happen to government programs (research grant money, food stamps, CDC, USDA, FDA regulations that keep us safe etc) when 45% of the government revenue disappeared and he said,

"I didn't realize a loss of revenue was involved."

Please enlighten me as to what the gently caress he's talking about. How can cutting the income tax not reduce revenue for the US government?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
If you don't tax income then the people will have more money to spend and you can tax the money they spend instead.

The difference is that people (eg, rich people) who don't spend most of their money and invest/save it won't have to pay as much of a percentage of their income as people (eg poor people) that have to pay most/all of their income to survive.

It isn't inconceivable to have a tax system where there is no income tax and the poor people aren't completely hosed I guess, but I haven't heard one yet.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
No tax on foodstuffs and clothes, high taxes on items with prices higher than X?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Travic posted:

"I didn't realize a loss of revenue was involved."

Is it possible he's an idiot? Alternatively, probably something like this because :black101: FREE MARKET :black101:

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

If you don't tax income then the people will have more money to spend and you can tax the money they spend instead.

And yes please let's not have a debate about this here :)

eta: vvvvvvvv Yes I know. You are all in very good form right now; I was posting to keep people from starting one by responding.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 5, 2012

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
If you read the rest of my post you can see I'm not in favor of it, I was just explaining the logic. But yeah, this thread isn't a good place for a regressive/progressive/VAT/flat/consumption/income tax debate.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Yeah I really don't want to start a debate on the subject. This was just the best option to ask the question (Doesn't fit in the income tax thread, and too small for a full thread in D&D) I'm more interested in tax code and government structure than the politics of taxing. He's an economist and I'm just wondering what I've missed that makes his statement make sense.

Butt Wizard posted:

Is it possible he's an idiot? Alternatively, probably something like this because :black101: FREE MARKET :black101:

This is entirely possible. He said a lot of other...things that don't make sense.

:edited for clarity:

Travic fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 5, 2012

Dabizi
Oct 22, 2008
I "get" (mostly) how GPS works, but with the recent Tomtom GPS leap year bug in the news, I'm at a loss to explain what exactly is the technical problem here. It seems like if the leap year occurred and the Tomtoms weren't ready for it, they'd still be accurate. Their dates would be one day ahead, but since the minuscule time difference is what actually matters, as long as the dates are consistently wrong, they should still work.

But apparently this is wrong! Can someone explain?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Is there a rule of thumb about average temps and when one should setup a pool without it being uncomfortably cold?

It's been hitting up to 85 in the daytime here and the kids are bugging me about swimming. I know its still too cold in the nights now but what type of avg lows should I be looking out for on some type of historical weather site to plan my date to start? It would get sun all day too.

It's a 20' metal frame pool, not a "real" pool but it takes a a couple days to get going or take down, so not quite a kiddie pool either

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Do you have a solar cover? Those work wonders for heating up a pool and keeping the heat in at night.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Do not have one of those. Just a regular cover that we've never even taken out of the package, wonder if that may help putting on at night.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I need a screen protector for some GPS units. I don't want to pay $15 for each one, I just want something cheap I can cut and slap on the screen so they don't get horrendously scratched. I don't care about the quality really, I just want some clear sticky plastic for cheap.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

razz posted:

I need a screen protector for some GPS units. I don't want to pay $15 for each one, I just want something cheap I can cut and slap on the screen so they don't get horrendously scratched. I don't care about the quality really, I just want some clear sticky plastic for cheap.

I saw this on modaco forums, in the walmart fabric section there's this clear vinyl stuff like is used for screen protectors on a new clock radio or something when its in the package. It's like $1 for a big sheet of it. I made some protectors with it before for old winmo and symbian phones, get the screen a tiny bit wet and it goes on easy.

Don't know how well it would work on touchscreen things though, I've tried some pre-made screen protectors more rigid than this stuff on my android and I don't like them, would probably like this less, but that's mainly because it feels weird to swipe or slide across. If all you're doing is hitting a button here and there it may be just great.

idoliside
Dec 8, 2010

I need a way to convert a ripped DVD to MPEG-2 (specifically, the hardware I use only handles MPEG-2). If it can merge multiple VOB files or read the source and put it all into one mpeg2 file that would be helpful.

AnyVideoConverter doesn't seem to have a way of converting whole DVD file structures.

tank9900
Mar 27, 2004

English, motherfucker, do you speak it?
Well I drank too much the other night and puked on my (new) white shirt and need to clean it! I let it soak yesterday in cold water, and washed it in warm water today (which is what eHow said to do) and it is now air drying in my room, but the stain is still there! How do I clean it out? I've googled, and there's so many different wyas, I just don't necessarily trust some asshat on Yahoo answers, so if one of you goons has a surefire way of getting puke stains out of a white t shirt (it has a graphic so I can't bleach it), I would love you forever!

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

tank9900 posted:

Well I drank too much the other night and puked on my (new) white shirt and need to clean it! I let it soak yesterday in cold water, and washed it in warm water today (which is what eHow said to do) and it is now air drying in my room, but the stain is still there! How do I clean it out? I've googled, and there's so many different wyas, I just don't necessarily trust some asshat on Yahoo answers, so if one of you goons has a surefire way of getting puke stains out of a white t shirt (it has a graphic so I can't bleach it), I would love you forever!

What did you eat before you puked?

tank9900
Mar 27, 2004

English, motherfucker, do you speak it?

Randomity posted:

What did you eat before you puked?

Pretty much just drank a lot of beer. I had a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner a long time before I started drinking

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

tank9900 posted:

Pretty much just drank a lot of beer. I had a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner a long time before I started drinking

If it's bright white I'd go at that bitch with bleach and maybe a little citrisolv. Note: if your shirt isn't 100% cotten, don't use citrisolv because it will actually eat your shirt.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

idoliside posted:

I need a way to convert a ripped DVD to MPEG-2 (specifically, the hardware I use only handles MPEG-2). If it can merge multiple VOB files or read the source and put it all into one mpeg2 file that would be helpful.

AnyVideoConverter doesn't seem to have a way of converting whole DVD file structures.

Try Handbrake.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
I'm a member of a particularly nerdy group (my local warhammer painting society) on Facebook and for some reason every post that I make in there shows up as an item in all of my friends news feeds. While I'm not ashamed of my hobby to the extent that I deny it, it's not exactly something that I widely advertise. Any idea how I can turn this "feature" off, or why it's happening?

I do want to stay part of the group, but if it comes down to my friends all getting posts saying "NICK JUST POSTED SOMETHING NERDY IN THE UBER NERDY GROUP LOL WHAT A NERD" or leaving the group, then I'll leave the group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
First: what the hell, are your friends 14 or something?

Second: You can make the group private if you are an admin. Check the group settings, under privacy. I don't think you can change the privacy settings of a single post in a group, because that goes agains the idea of the group.