Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Davos should totally have had his finger bones carved into the most hardcore set of dice possible, so when people ask why he carries them around in his little pouch it's because he's always ready for a game of chance.

Would you gamble with a man like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Urdnot Fire posted:

At least he's a nice guy.

That's the problem though. All those characters are genuinely nice people trying to do the right thing and why they are classified as boring.

When I read ASOIAF, I want to read about the freaks that sew children's heads together and sand their nipples off.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Davos should totally have had his finger bones carved into the most hardcore set of dice possible, so when people ask why he carries them around in his little pouch it's because he's always ready for a game of chance.

Would you gamble with a man like that?

I swear to god this is from an actual Stalone movie.

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 9, 2012

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Checked out reddit.

Awful lot of sad little boys crying that "Yara" looks like how she was described and those loving nerds can't jerk off to her.

Also, Balon was metal as gently caress. Hopefully the show will make the boring Vikings not boring.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Vic wasn't too boring, eventually.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Contra Calculus posted:

That's the problem though. All those characters are genuinely nice people trying to do the right thing and why they are classified as boring.

Tyrion's a nice person who is trying to do the right thing and he is not boring. (Well, ignoring the fact that every single character is boring as of the last book.) But before that he wasn't boring. Neither was Catelyn (to me) or Ned or Arya, but that's because they weren't interminably embroiled in meaningless scenes a continent away from the interesting stories. Except for Arya eventually because GRRM is not good at this whole "writing a story" thing. It's just funny to me that GRRM gave Jon and Dany all of the interesting "set pieces" and still managed to make them terrible. Just bring them back to the main action, for gently caress's sake.

Bran is also super boring, too, I forgot him. How do you make shapeshifting boring?!

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Checked out reddit.

Awful lot of sad little boys crying that "Yara" looks like how she was described and those loving nerds can't jerk off to her.

If a woman does not look exactly like their masturbation fantasies or Victoria Secret models, redditors will always loving complain.

Edit: Just read through the last few pages and... Wow you guys did it too! :thumbsup:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Redditors? Try men in general. The amount of just goons who were pissed Tricia Helfer wasn't miscast as Cersei (and then subsequently Brienne) still hasn't ceased to be funny.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Urdnot Fire posted:

Vic wasn't too boring, eventually.
And Euron is just dreamy. :allears: Even if raping his little brother is mildly eyebrow-raising.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Contra Calculus posted:

If a woman does not look exactly like their masturbation fantasies or Victoria Secret models, redditors will always loving complain.

I hope they uglied up Brienne so hard their dicks fall off.

And yeah, Victarion eventually owns, but that Viking Election was the most boring thing ever.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

Now we will have a guy with horns on his helmet read the minutes from the last meeting.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I hope they uglied up Brienne so hard their dicks fall off.

And yeah, Victarion eventually owns, but that Viking Election was the most boring thing ever.

Apparently Brienne looks like this:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
^^^ I can't fap to that. :reddit:

Redditors? Try men in general. The amount of just goons who were pissed Tricia Helfer wasn't miscast as Cersei (and then subsequently Brienne) still hasn't ceased to be funny.

OMG I forgot about this.

They're so mad their nerd-show crush isn't in Game of Tits.

And I'm really bored at work. Ep 2 gave them a ton of new info. Why aren't our lovable TVIV fools theorycrafting for us?

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Goons are low-hanging fruit though. Wasn't it here that the phrase "all women are vapid cunts" originated?

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Davos is great, you guys are below-average readers.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

I can kinda see Cersei if I scrunch up my eyes, but Brienne? What the gently caress?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

She really would have made a fantastic Cersei, though.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
well they are both tall and female. speaking of which I'm incredibly disappointed charles barkley wasn't cast as the mountain

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Uhhhhh if you weren't entertained by Davos epic quest to learn how to read than I don't know what to do for you

And yes, more ugly women please. I always pictured Brienne as more of a big fatty but that's a pretty harrowing look right there. I approve.

Edit: Bran is pretty boring but his chapter where they got attacked at the entrance to magic tree land was the best action chapter in the entire series.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

nuncle jimbo posted:

well they are both tall and female. speaking of which I'm incredibly disappointed charles barkley wasn't cast as the mountain

We all know the most important casting has yet to come...

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Yes that is similar to how I pictured Brienne.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Sophia posted:

Tyrion's a nice person who is trying to do the right thing and he is not boring. (Well, ignoring the fact that every single character is boring as of the last book.) But before that he wasn't boring. Neither was Catelyn (to me) or Ned or Arya, but that's because they weren't interminably embroiled in meaningless scenes a continent away from the interesting stories. Except for Arya eventually because GRRM is not good at this whole "writing a story" thing. It's just funny to me that GRRM gave Jon and Dany all of the interesting "set pieces" and still managed to make them terrible. Just bring them back to the main action, for gently caress's sake.

Bran is also super boring, too, I forgot him. How do you make shapeshifting boring?!

Dude, the gurm is breaking the traditional mold. That of characters needing to be interesting.

You clearly do not "get it".

Urdnot Fire posted:

Apparently Brienne looks like this:

Why must "ugly" be "look like a guy who has poo poo smeared on his face"?

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 9, 2012

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

We all know the most important casting has yet to come...

I would love to see McShane cast in the series, but the problem is who? Doran Martell?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

nuncle jimbo posted:

I was thinking of a mid-70s version of Jack Lambert.

(NOT to be confused with Adam Lambert)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

geeves posted:

I would love to see McShane cast in the series, but the problem is who? Doran Martell?

Time-traveling future Hot Pie. Come to warn him from making a pie so delicious, that it changes the fate of the world.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Ross posted:

you guys are below-ROCK-loving-BOTTOM readers.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Davos is a PIRATE turned landed gentry KNIGHT who is the SOLE ADVISER TO THE KING and who personally stands in the way of a DOOMSDAY CULT.

And somehow his chapters are like the 3rd most boring. I honestly don't understand how that happens.

EatDirt
Nov 13, 2009

In this dark world where any main character could die at any moment, I want my characters to be loving vomit ugly. Sure the lords and ladies are cast as the pretty butterflies they are described as, but the peasants aren't so freakish enough. They should have cast people from the public arrest records from Florida.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Fog Tripper posted:

Dude, the gurm is breaking the traditional mold. That of characters needing to be interesting.

It is known.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

geeves posted:

Victarion.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

But who will play Lady Whiskers?

Edit : Wait. Problem solved.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 9, 2012

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I saw a post that was "Goons dissapointed that X wasn't cast for (blonde role)" and I thought "Oh it was probably something really dumb like the lady from Battlestar" then I googled Tricia Helfer.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

geeves posted:

Cold Hands.

Craster or Mance would probably work, but those are both already cast.

e: actually he could probably do a good Stannis, too.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I saw a post that was "Goons dissapointed that X wasn't cast for (blonde role)" and I thought "Oh it was probably something really dumb like the lady from Battlestar" then I googled Tricia Helfer.

I like Helfer (though I'm not attracted to her at all) in BSG, but I'm not sure she would've been great as Cercei.

Can we at least agree the lady playing Cercei at present is loving awful at it? She's supposed to be The Most Charismatic Girl in the Room, the Head Cheerleader, etc. Instead she's just dour and transparently evil. After I watched the first season she's the only actor where I went "didn't even crack the books open."

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Why cookie Rocket posted:

After I watched the first season she's the only actor where I went "didn't even crack the books open."
And now we have Stephen Dillane in season 2 who is exactly the same. I don't know who he thinks he's playing, but it has nothing to do with the Stannis in the books.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
To be fair to her Tricia Helfer seems like a pretty cool lady but yeah fans like to fantasy cast the poo poo out of her, same with david tennant or felicia day or nathan fillion and so on. It's that trifecta of nerdy past roles + nerdy personality + good looking that sends some fans over the edge with infatuation.

What's the status on HBO treading into the Lollys subplot? It seems like her whole story is a door they'd rather leave closed and just write in something else for Bronn later on. But then again they've done a foley artist sloppy blowjob solo, "play with her rear end", the smell of cum, dudes macking out on a mouthful of someone else's cum, and so on and to be honest while it feels over the top when I really think back on the books I can't help but get the feeling that the producers are doing everything they can to acclimate the audience to the poo poo that takes place later on. Sansa + Tyrion's wedding night, Theon post Buffalo Bill treatment going down on fake arya, the list goes on and I'm not sure which is worse (read: more hilarious): the fact that the books have all this poo poo and are regaled as primetime-ready epicness, or the fact that HBO is going to actually consider which of these horrible scenes to work in.

All I'm saying is gently caress the red wedding, the best scene I look forward to if this show keeps going is the one where Emilia Clarke has to sentence some poor plant life to death by drowning in poo poo, on camera.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 9, 2012

EatDirt
Nov 13, 2009

Joramun posted:

And now we have Stephen Dillane in season 2 who is exactly the same. I don't know who he thinks he's playing, but it has nothing to do with the Stannis in the books.

I was very disappointed when Gerard Butler backed out. He would have been perfect at the teeth gnashing.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Can we at least agree the lady playing Cercei at present is loving awful at it? She's supposed to be The Most Charismatic Girl in the Room, the Head Cheerleader, etc. Instead she's just dour and transparently evil. After I watched the first season she's the only actor where I went "didn't even crack the books open."

Even before she nailed her twin and had him throw a child out of a window Cercei was a jerk. In like chapter two, she first appears, and is an rear end in a top hat. She then proceeds to become less likeable and less sympathetic for like 5 books.

I think the actress is doing a pretty Ok job.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

E- ^^^ Yeah, to say Lena Heady is doing a bad job is to assume her role had depth or complexity to it to begin with. Besides, Dinklage "greatest actor on the show" has claimed he hasn't bothered to read the books either, so that's a bad metric to measure performance by apparently.

The amount of goons ITT, on SA, on reddit, and in general who seem to think that their penis has precedence in this serious show about rapes and lemoncake will never stop being funny.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

Fog Tripper posted:

Gonna play Darkstar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Goons want her in literally every female role ever, it's loving weird man. Like she should be Cersei, she should be Brienne, make up your goddamn minds. To be fair, she could have been an ok Cersei, but her acting chops really aren't up to par (although people sort of rightfully poo poo on Lena Heady for the same).