Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Fog Tripper posted:

If someone wrote an alternate reality set of books, picking up where book 3 left off, would folks (besides me) buy them?

That implies the story is quite far along from where Book 3 left things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Junkenstein posted:

Just checked in to see what's up at the TVIV thread:

:cawg:

I seriously hope Ros gets loving killed off for shock value in either the riots or the Battle of Blackwater just because all the TVIV goons think she will actually serve some sort of purpose to the storyline beyond HBO lesbian sex scenes.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

Contra Calculus posted:

I seriously hope Ros gets loving killed off for shock value in either the riots or the Battle of Blackwater just because all the TVIV goons think she will actually serve some sort of purpose to the storyline beyond HBO lesbian sex scenes.

I foresee a way for the Mountain's new actor to make a triumphant entrance to the show.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Contra Calculus posted:

The Battle of Blackwater will be seen exclusively through Ros and the whores in Littlefinger's brothel.

Chaka
Apr 20, 2011

Rape Jake. posted:

After watching the episode i was curious about what the girl looked like without being uglied up.
http://unitedagents.co.uk/amy-dawson
Looks fine to me.
Although, she is still smiling with her lips closed!

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Junkenstein posted:

The Battle of Blackwater will be seen exclusively through Ros and the whores in Littlefinger's brothel.

Gurm is actually writing that episode so this wouldn't surprise me.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
If they put in a wildfire-ignited moneyshot I will actually watch the show.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Chaka posted:

She's British.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Contra Calculus posted:

Gurm is actually writing that episode so this wouldn't surprise me.

With Neil Marshall directing though, so that gives me hope.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Junkenstein posted:

With Neil Marshall directing though, so that gives me hope.

Wait, you're making GBS threads me. Like, the guy who did The Descent and poo poo?

I'm... Excited for something SoIaF related for the first time in like... 6 years. Jesus.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Contra Calculus posted:

Ros is going to melt Littlefinger's icy all-business shell and unlock his inner romantic by the end of the season, then we can look forward to scenes of her mirthfully trying on different hats in front of him while Van Morrison plays in the background

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Chaka posted:

After watching the episode i was curious about what the girl looked like without being uglied up.
Looks fine to me.

One of the stage plays she's in is called "THAT FACE" :lol:

Also that TV guys interview on whatever the big wiki is confirmed we're going to be seeing Blackwater from Tyrions view, among others. And that they saved a bunch of this seasons money for it and then begged HBO for more.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

savinhill posted:

Ros is going to melt Littlefinger's icy all-business shell and unlock his inner romantic by the end of the season, then we can look forward to scenes of her mirthfully trying on different hats in front of him while Van Morrison plays in the background

He does have that hairstyle, just needs a little more character to make it perfect. Will there also be scenes in which the tailors of King's Landing turn her away when she shows up in her brothel clothes?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Silver2195 posted:

He had sex with a slave prostitute who was crying with disgust in ADWD. So he is, in fact, a rapist.

He's a rapist. I was wrong. Thank you. (Not being sarcastic; I like information.)

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/04/angry-boys-right-wing-group-slams-hbo-sexualizing-children

Oh HBO.
:allears:

quote:

"It's difficult to imagine that HBO would go any lower,”

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 12, 2012

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

He's a rapist. I was wrong. Thank you. (Not being sarcastic; I like information.)
You can tell he's a good guy because he rapes less than the bad guys (and doesn't use dogs).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Factor_VIII posted:

You can tell he's a good guy because he rapes less than the bad guys (and doesn't use dogs).

"... are you a good rapist or a bad rapist?"
"I'm not a rapist at ... oh, wait. (pause for thought) Okay, let's go with 'good'."

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Who says he's supposed to be a good guy? I mean, he strangled a whore to death because she didn't really love him. This is after he had a minstrel murdered and used in a stew because the minstrel threatened to embarrass him.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
He's sympathetic most of the time, I don't know if he's "good".

Also said prostitute also almost got him killed by lying about him at a trial after pretending to love and give a poo poo about him, and he only got away because someone broke him out of jail.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
... Someone who immediately afterwards admitted to having lied about a pretty traumatic, defining event in his life, to boot. Let's just say Tyrion had a lot in his plate this last few books.
Gurm probably thinks that just raping that whore was pretty considerate of him.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
He killed his father moments before strangling Shae, so attempting to turn her death into "hurr, Tyrion is a mysoginistic whore killer" is lame and unoriginal.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
So wait, the twist is that he wants to go to "wherever whores go" just to kill everyone there?

... Goddammit, Gurm.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Chaka posted:

Looks fine to me.
In my opinion she wasn't even uglied up. And the actress is beautiful. And is smiling with lips opened a preferable thing? I can't see how it matters how someone smiles.

whowhatwhere posted:

Who says he's supposed to be a good guy? I mean, he strangled a whore to death because she didn't really love him. This is after he had a minstrel murdered and used in a stew because the minstrel threatened to embarrass him.
Let's recap the horrible things Tyrion has done:

a) Raping Tysha with Lannister guards.
b) Killing Shae and Tywin.
c) Raping that prostitute in ADWD.

In case A Tyrion had secretly married Tysha only to face his father's wrath and see her gangraped. He was also lied to that Tysha was in fact a prostitute, which makes it two traumas on his 13-year-old mind. Or actually three, since seeing your own father ordering something like that counts as well. So Tyrion felt he was betrayed by Tysha and was deeply shocked by the rape he witnessed as well. When he raped Tysha himself it was at his father's orders (and which 13-year-old could disobey after a show like that?) and there's the fact that he was 13 and thus not mature as well. Heck, if you think how 13-year-old boys tend to have spontaneous erections, it's no wonder his body "betrayed him" as he thinks at some point of some book.

Ok, case B. Tyrion has been engaged in some serious power struggles with his sister and they both hate each other. Tyrion singlehandedly saved the city in the battle of Blackwater with his chain. In the process he gets betrayed by his sister's thug, gets horribly mutilated and when he wakes up his father has entered the city and claimed the glory. Later he is accused of killing the nephew he hated but didn't kill. Then the one girl he has recently loved testifies in court how he has raped her and confessed to killing his nephew and to planning become king. Later he finds this same girl in bed with his father (who supposedly hates whores). Being deeply shaken and in a situation where he has to fear for his life, Tyrion proceeds to kill them both. I don't know how many traumas an average person has to suffer before being pushed over the edge, but Tyrion seems to have had enough of them.

Case C: I don't remember the exact scene and whether or not this happened before he was imprisoned by Jorah, but Tyrion's in the middle of nowhere with no real prospects of getting his life back and he's constantly contemplating suicide with poison mushrooms and drinking atrocious amounts of alcohol. It was also a prostitute and not some random girl he just happened to rape on the street. Now I don't remember if the prostitute denied him service or what happened so that it became rape, but seeing Tyrion's background it makes it pretty understandable why he acts the way he does. Who knows how many mental problems he has already.

whowhatwhere posted:

I think the definitions "good guy" and "bad guy" work only in a normal context - where you haven't been degraded, betrayed and traumatized your entire life. I think under different circumstances Tyrion would've been a good guy - a boy who likes reading and acrobatics and diligently cleans the castle's plumbing sounds like that after all. But throw enough poo poo and literally anyone stops caring about acting "good". Tyrion makes clear he wouldn't have arranged the Red Wedding like his dad and neither does he take pleasure from torture and mindless killing like his nephew. Considering his background, it's surprising he acts that good.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Intel&Sebastian posted:

He's sympathetic most of the time, I don't know if he's "good".

Also said prostitute also almost got him killed by lying about him at a trial after pretending to love and give a poo poo about him, and he only got away because someone broke him out of jail.

So because he paid for an exclusive girlfriend experience he's entitled to expect her to refuse to save her own neck? She's in the hands of the other Lannisters, and she's just some no-name prostitute they have no reason not to murder if she refused to cooperate. It was self-preservation. It's not her fault that he chose to believe the lie he paid for.

Smashurbanipal posted:

He killed his father moments before strangling Shae, so attempting to turn her death into "hurr, Tyrion is a mysoginistic whore killer" is lame and unoriginal.

After strangling Shae. And in ADWD he basically says that he doubts he would have been able to do it if his father hadn't stood up from the toilet, triggering a reflexive shot of the crossbow.

Did I say he was a misogynist (beyond the standards of the setting?)? No. I said that he's not a good person.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Smashurbanipal posted:

Tyrion Lannister; Westeros' version of Jack the Ripper?

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Look, whatever flaws Tyrion had before ADWD, they were small enough for me to look past that I can enjoy his character, but in ADWD he is undeniably the biggest goon I have ever read about.

Also, as much as we joke about it here, there is no excuse for raping someone ever.

edit: VVVV Okay, fine! He indirectly killed a loving minstrel.

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 12, 2012

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
^^^^
Ah yes, the small flaw of fearing embarrassment so much that he had a minstrel murdered and disposed of in a stew.

Rurik posted:

In my opinion she wasn't even uglied up. And the actress is beautiful. And is smiling with lips opened a preferable thing? I can't see how it matters how someone smiles.
It changes the shape of the face, so one kind of smile might make the entire face more or less attractive. Don't know about lips shut v. open though.

quote:

Ok, case B. Tyrion has been engaged in some serious power struggles with his sister and they both hate each other. Tyrion singlehandedly saved the city in the battle of Blackwater with his chain. In the process he gets betrayed by his sister's thug, gets horribly mutilated and when he wakes up his father has entered the city and claimed the glory. Later he is accused of killing the nephew he hated but didn't kill. Then the one girl he has recently loved testifies in court how he has raped her and confessed to killing his nephew and to planning become king. Later he finds this same girl in bed with his father (who supposedly hates whores). Being deeply shaken and in a situation where he has to fear for his life, Tyrion proceeds to kill them both. I don't know how many traumas an average person has to suffer before being pushed over the edge, but Tyrion seems to have had enough of them.

Case C: I don't remember the exact scene and whether or not this happened before he was imprisoned by Jorah, but Tyrion's in the middle of nowhere with no real prospects of getting his life back and he's constantly contemplating suicide with poison mushrooms and drinking atrocious amounts of alcohol. It was also a prostitute and not some random girl he just happened to rape on the street. Now I don't remember if the prostitute denied him service or what happened so that it became rape, but seeing Tyrion's background it makes it pretty understandable why he acts the way he does. Who knows how many mental problems he has already.

B: He chose to go up to his father's room. He was surprised by Shae's appearance, sure, so it's not like he went in there with the intent to kill her. But it's not like he was somehow forced to reveal himself in such a way that he'd have to worry about witnesses raising an alarm.

Deeply traumatised, blah blah blah: yeah, sure, but nevertheless most people don't look into the eyes of a person they recently were in love with as they strangle them to death.

C: You can see how he got to that point, but it still doesn't excuse him continuing to have sex with a woman who is clearly being coerced into prostituting at that moment.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Contra Calculus posted:

Also, as much as we joke about it here, there is no excuse for raping someone ever.
Perhaps GRRM's intention is to take a character that's good early on, so that the audience becomes sympathetic to him, and then has him force himself onto a woman in order to have his fans go "rape is sometimes justified".

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
GRRM wrote Dominic Deegan.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

whowhatwhere posted:

So because he paid for an exclusive girlfriend experience he's entitled to expect her to refuse to save her own neck?

I was just pointing out it's not like the only reason he offed her was because he had his heart broken or something. He straight up says he would kill quite a lot of the people that were part of setting him up, she just happened to be in the same room as the one guy he definitely wanted to kill on his way out so he got his chance at it.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

whowhatwhere posted:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Rurik posted:

It was also a prostitute and not some random girl he just happened to rape on the street.

Oh. Well, that's okay, then. Prostitutes don't get to say "no".

With the exception of Chataya and Alayaya, GRRM routinely seems to think the word "whore" constitutes standalone characterization, no further work needed. This was highlighted for me by the end of Series 1 on DVD: my daughter and I turned to each other and said, "Whoa! I like Shae! She has a character!" You can take this as unreliable narrator, where "unreliable" means "everybody in Westeros, especially all male viewpoint characters, despises whores and kinslayers"; myself, I think it's bad writing.

I think Tyrion's an antihero, somebody like Don Giovanni, who is way fun to watch but whom you'd loathe in real life. He's driven by an ugly upbringing, he does ugly things to survive, and sometimes he does them for fun. He can be kind and he is often correct, which makes him an interesting character.

Edit:

whowhatwhere posted:

...but nevertheless most people don't look into the eyes of a person they recently were in love with as they strangle them to death.
::sniffs nervously at the crawlspace; says nothing.::

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 12, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

whowhatwhere posted:

ASoIaF isn't that incompetant. GRRM doesn't totally forget where plots are going and has the eponymous character descend into the fray to instantly solve all problems.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Don Giovanni is a straight-up villain (first drat scene is him murdering a guy after raping his daughter (of course, you might assume that she lies to her fiancé in her aria and is just trying to get revenge for the death of her father)). If Tyrion has to be anyone from that opera, he's Leporello: a man who might be decent were he not trapped in a situation that strongly encourages evil.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
If anything, Tyrion is "The Stoned Guest" from the eponymous operetta by PDQ Bach.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
HAHAHA and after all that Tyrion is going to finally find out that the love of his life has been under his nose the whole time. A lil pig rider named Penny. He'll finally find someone who loves him for himself and not his money. How sweeeeeet.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

smarion2 posted:

He'll finally find someone who loves him for himself and not his money.

Where do boars go???

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Junkenstein posted:

That implies the story is quite far along from where Book 3 left things.

Things do not need to occur for time to pass. :colbert:

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

whowhatwhere posted:

B: He chose to go up to his father's room. He was surprised by Shae's appearance, sure, so it's not like he went in there with the intent to kill her. But it's not like he was somehow forced to reveal himself in such a way that he'd have to worry about witnesses raising an alarm.

Deeply traumatised, blah blah blah: yeah, sure, but nevertheless most people don't look into the eyes of a person they recently were in love with as they strangle them to death.
Yeah, I would've really wanted that Tyrion had gone past that room. Would've been better for everybody, including Tyrion himself. It was a bad decision. Revealing himself to Tywin and Shae was also a bad decision. Killing them was a necessary for survival after those two bad decisions (had he not done it the guards would've been alarmed to his escape at once).

quote:

C: You can see how he got to that point, but it still doesn't excuse him continuing to have sex with a woman who is clearly being coerced into prostituting at that moment.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh. Well, that's okay, then. Prostitutes don't get to say "no".
I really don't remember that scene and how it played out. He went into a whorehouse, why was the prostitute suddenly unwilling? Anyway I know I wouldn't have acted the way he did, there's nothing to defend there. This discussion's direction also leaves me at a loss. It's not like there's some traumatized Essosian prostitute somewhere, because these are fictional characters. So even though lots of Tyrion's actions were despicable, the world's not a worse place because of them, since none of it really happened.

What's the direction here? That Tyrion shouldn't be liked as a literary character? Should he be disliked then? What about other literary characters then, for instance Raskolnikov?

I'm not putting words into people's mouths, I'm merely probing ahead. This interests me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
It doesn't matter. A Dream of Spring isn't coming out. May as well fire up the fanfiction if nothing more then to spite GRRM since he hates it so much.

edit: actually never mind. GRRM already wrote a fanfic when he wrote Dany's POV for ADWD.