Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
Whoa, whoa, that's getting a bit eager. We all know Winds isn't coming out first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

smarion2 posted:

HAHAHA and after all that Tyrion is going to finally find out that the love of his life has been under his nose the whole time. A lil pig rider named Penny. He'll finally find someone who loves him for himself and not his money. How sweeeeeet.
They have more of a big brother/little sister relationship, rather than a romantic one.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Joramun posted:

They have more of a big brother/little sister relationship, rather than a romantic one.

Like Jaime/Cersei?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Touché.

But I was thinking more like Jon/Arya.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Joramun posted:

My guess? Wait and see. Jon will be teaching her how to stick them with the pointy end before too long ;)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Joramun posted:

Touché.

I forget who it was, but someone around here used to argue fervently that they were also loving.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

IRQ posted:

I forget who it was, but someone around here used to argue fervently that they were also loving.

And why not? Jon is a secret targ so they are only cousins

yes I'm kidding

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

IRQ posted:

GRRM account spotted?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rurik posted:

I really don't remember that scene and how it played out. He went into a whorehouse, why was the prostitute suddenly unwilling?

Probably because Tyrion had half his, already ugly, face chopped off? He's a halfman but he's drinking for two? She was having a lovely day? It doesn't really matter other than it helps GRRM justify it, or since he is making it patently clear that he hates his fans maybe he's just ruining the character for funsies.

Since a certain someone is taking a forums vacation today I'll just add, Absolute Fucker!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

whowhatwhere posted:

Don Giovanni is a straight-up villain. ... If Tyrion has to be anyone from that opera, he's Leporello: a man who might be decent were he not trapped in a situation that strongly encourages evil.
(A) That would be why I said "way fun to watch". DG is an antihero in that he spends most of the opera being stylishly bad and has a truly magnificent death scene. Tyrion has spent a lot of the opus being stylishly bad ... although less so than Jaime, who is actually a better parallel, so let's pretend I said Jaime in the first place. Ahem.
(B) We could always turn Tyrion into Donna Elvira, always searching for a love he can never regain. Or not.

Rurik posted:

What's the direction here? That Tyrion shouldn't be liked as a literary character? Should he be disliked then? What about other literary characters then, for instance Raskolnikov?
"Liked" and "approved of his behavior" and "considered moral" are all different concepts. I love Dorothy Dunnett's Crawford of Lymond. In real life, I'd like to hand him two Remeron and the phone number of a good therapist.

What I read as the direction here is "is this character, considered within the context of 21st-century English-speakers' morality, a morally good person?" Tyrion is obviously magnetic: his scenes are IMHO consistently the most fun to read, and seeing a Tyrion viewpoint perks me up nearly as much as an Asha or Arya viewpoint. He has done enough evil-by-my-morality things that I consider him likable, but morally ambiguous at best. And, like Theon, I expect him to have opportunities to turn it around.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Tyrion is obviously magnetic: his scenes are IMHO consistently the most fun to read, and seeing a Tyrion viewpoint perks me up nearly as much as an Asha or Arya viewpoint.

How ADWD killed joy in a nutshell.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

Joramun posted:

I hope to god you're right and Penny dies in the 1st Tyrion Chapter that is never released in TWOW

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If the viewership continues to be quite high for several more seasons, it will get incredibly awkward if the TV show has new material before a book is released. GRRM has probably hosed himself good, because at this point I think he's going to be bouncing ideas off the HBO guys to help him finish the books and then take all the credit of course.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Koirhor posted:

If the viewership continues to be quite high for several more seasons, it will get incredibly awkward if the TV show has new material before a book is released. GRRM has probably hosed himself good, because at this point I think he's going to be bouncing ideas off the HBO guys to help him finish the books and then take all the credit of course.

I'd rather they stopped the show after the fourth season, even though I want to see AFFC/ADWD in TV form I'd rather the show didn't finish the story for me. I prefer GRRM's writing 9 times out of 10 compared to the show's writers, even if they have come up with some good scenes (like Cersei and Robert last season).

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Azure_Horizon posted:

I prefer GRRM's writing 9 times out of 10 compared to the show's writers, even if they have come up with some good scenes (like Cersei and Robert last season).
Agreed. Anything the show's writers come up with that's not in the books basically has the same status as fanfic to me.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.
GRRM should just get the show's writers to ghostwrite the books for him. He doesn't have to write about anything other than football and books come out on schedule. Everyone's happy.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Fog Tripper posted:

If someone wrote an alternate reality set of books, picking up where book 3 left off, would folks (besides me) buy them?

Would I buy SoIaF fan fic?

No. No I would not.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Joramun posted:

Agreed. Anything the show's writers come up with that's not in the books basically has the same status as fanfic to me.

Counterpoint : That Robert and Cersei scene is better than AFFC and ADWD combined.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Azure_Horizon posted:

I'd rather they stopped the show after the fourth season, even though I want to see AFFC/ADWD in TV form I'd rather the show didn't finish the story for me. I prefer GRRM's writing 9 times out of 10 compared to the show's writers, even if they have come up with some good scenes (like Cersei and Robert last season).

The problem with your plan is that Gurm doesn't write.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Rurik posted:

What's the direction here? That Tyrion shouldn't be liked as a literary character? Should he be disliked then? What about other literary characters then, for instance Raskolnikov?

I'm not putting words into people's mouths, I'm merely probing ahead. This interests me.

Direction? Here? Oh my sweet summer child...

I enjoy Tyrion, but dislike how a lot of people seem to think his character took a sudden nosedive in quality in ADWD, when he's really been a Nice Guy (but with a sardonic sense of humor) the whole goddamned series. It's just that now he doesn't have a cushion to shield himself from his more monstrous aspects (Bronn, his Lannister name and wealth generally, etc). So really I was just ranting about him since I was given the opportunity.

IRQ posted:

Pretty sure that was Viconia, either loving with us or convinced that there was one last depravity GRRM would force us to endure.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Azure_Horizon posted:

I prefer GRRM's writing 9 times out of 10 compared to the show's writers, even if they have come up with some good scenes (like Cersei and Robert last season).

This is the craziest thing I've heard in a good long while.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Sophia posted:

Then you must have an incredibly low bar for "crazy", or confuse it with "truth."

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
You know I just can't loving say the name GRRM in my head without it coming out as Gurm no matter how hard I try. These threads have broken me to that point. I can't do the old "gee ar ar em" any more because I've been saying Gurm in my head for so long.

FMchubs
Mar 27, 2010

Koirhor posted:

Naw, they can split the later books into three seasons if necessary. We're gonna be tuning into this show until the early 2020's. That said, I'm glad GRRM has some sorta ticking clock. I would imagine his contract says "loving finish these books before our backs are up against a wall." TV is all about money, and Gurm can't dodge that.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

whowhatwhere posted:

I enjoy Tyrion, but dislike how a lot of people seem to think his character took a sudden nosedive in quality in ADWD, when he's really been a Nice Guy (but with a sardonic sense of humor) the whole goddamned series. It's just that now he doesn't have a cushion to shield himself from his more monstrous aspects (Bronn, his Lannister name and wealth generally, etc). So really I was just ranting about him since I was given the opportunity.

The issue is that Tyrion was one of the few characters who consistently were doing something throughout books. He was no Cat or Sansa. I don't think anyone really thought he was "good", there isn't really any "good" here. Now all of a sudden, this character we're so used to being a snarky little man of action is sitting around asking where whores go. It's the projected fear that ALL the characters are getting mired down in inaction. If this happened in a book that seriously moved forward in terms of other folks, Tyrion's newly revealed goonyness would be tolerable. We had this interspersed with Dany being all about ~Daaaaaario~, Cersei sitting in a cell being pissed etc.. The introduction of additional not too thrilling dudes like Connington and Quentyn does nothing to alleviate the frustration of having a formerly busy little dude just sit about drunk and bitch.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
What's wrong with Jon Connington? Both him and Aegon actually accomplished things in ADWD.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's more the fact that in one book he's been managed to be introduced, get to Westeros, and start taking territory...

...while Dany shits in the bushes after wasting an entire book farting around a city we never gave a poo poo about in the first place like a black hole for plotlines--and this is in a series where plotlines already meander like loving crazy.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Joramun posted:

Yeah, same here

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sophia posted:

AH is a very dedicated troll or a retarded tasteless idiot, we're not really sure which it is.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Koirhor posted:

GRRM has probably hosed himself good, because at this point I think he's going to be bouncing ideas off the HBO guys to help him finish the books and then take all the credit of course.

This is exactly what I was thinking, GRRM is hosed no matter what.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The bad thread is spreading! The spoiler tviv thread has learned of the pear shaped man and worse! Its only a matter of time before the dream of the Wild Cards is complete and the world knows the truth about one absolute fucker named gurm!

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Tell me about the pear-shaped man again :allears:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

IRQ posted:

AH is a very dedicated troll or a retarded tasteless idiot, we're not really sure which it is.

Might be confusing those words with ones that describe yourself, actually.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

crazypeltast52 posted:

The bad thread is spreading! The spoiler tviv thread has learned of the pear shaped man and worse! Its only a matter of time before the dream of the Wild Cards is complete and the world knows the truth about one absolute fucker named gurm!

Good. Maybe women will stop letting him creepily put his hand over theirs at book signings then. I can't even see a picture of GRRM without grimacing, I don't know how anyone could let him touch them.

He looks uncomfortably moist.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Rarity posted:

You guys should just be thankful I haven't ordered all the Bad Thread posters assassinated yet :colbert:

It begins :tinfoil:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Moist with a fine sheen that mixes with the oils of his skin and meals into a sort of slime; just barely perceptible to the tough.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Azure_Horizon posted:

Might be confusing those words with ones that describe yourself, actually.

Oh snap, I have been owned.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
The Spoiler Thread over in TVIV got a brief exposure to the many-folded splendour of the GRRM, and then delivered in spades:

colonel_korn posted:

:nws: Meathouse Man :nws: is the grossest and most depressing IMHO :gonk:

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

whowhatwhere posted:

It begins :tinfoil:

Why the gently caress would you waste your money on assassinating angry, white, neckbeards screaming about how they hate a massive white neckbeard who doesn't actually loving write?

(Seriously though, as fun as it is to troll tviv, don't loving spoil poo poo in there if you dumbshits are doing that.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

GRRM's Meathouse Man posted:

He left her as he’d found her, lying face up on the bed with her legs apart. Meathouse courtesy.

Just a taste of the rancid pleasures that excerpt has to offer.