Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

PriorMarcus posted:

So I picked up the ADU HQ set in the end and it's amazing. I've only just completed the 2nd bag, with the human fighter jet in it (the cockpit doesn't close properly, I'm pretty sad about that) and today I'm going to do another couple of bags.

To tie this in to the recent discussion there is one human female in the set.

I can't tell you how pissed off I am that Lego didn't create a single minifigure for the alien third gender. WAY TO PERPETUATE THE SLAXIARCHY, LEGO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
What we need is more androgynous sets. Marilyn Manson's Friends, or The Blocky Horror Picture Theme.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Revener posted:

What we need is more androgynous sets. Marilyn Manson's Friends, or The Blocky Horror Picture Theme.

I'd buy the poo poo out of a Rocky Horror themed Lego set.

Bloody Holly
May 29, 2007

the George Washington of breadfucking

Revener posted:

me too, if only for a bigass castle with a pool and a zen room.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Oh hai there!

quote:

Lego 10226 Sopwith Camel

Price $99.99 €89.99

Relive a classic era of aviation history with the Sopwith Camel biplane. This set lets you recreate a detailed replica of one of
the most recognizable British single-seat biplanes ever to have graced the skies. Features include a realistic rotating propeller
and engine cylinders, a hinged tail rudder, realistic tension wires, functioning wing ailerons and tail flaps that can be controlled from the cockpit.

LEGO Creator Sopwith Camel
- Detailed replica
- Rotating propeller and engine cylinders
- Hinged tail rudder
- Functioning wing ailerons
- Tail flaps can be controlled from cockpit”

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

djfooboo posted:

Oh hai there!

It had drat well better come with a white dog mini-fig.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

djfooboo posted:

Sopwith Camel

Dammit, another day one purchase even though there is no need to rush out and buy it.

In lego/non lego news May 1st I move out of my apartment into a house. It is a small bungalow but has a finished basement that I plan to turn into a dungeon of lego. My UCS Falcon will finally get out of its box after such a long wait. If anyone has any advice on what to do for a buildspace and storage system for parts I am more then open to it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Holy poo poo that Camel model is amazing.

So gonna buy that to get my free minifigs in May.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

djfooboo posted:

Oh hai there!

Ugh, so sexy. Added to wish list.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Merchant of Death posted:

Dammit, another day one purchase even though there is no need to rush out and buy it.

In lego/non lego news May 1st I move out of my apartment into a house. It is a small bungalow but has a finished basement that I plan to turn into a dungeon of lego. My UCS Falcon will finally get out of its box after such a long wait. If anyone has any advice on what to do for a buildspace and storage system for parts I am more then open to it.

For buildspace, it goes without saying that the biggest table or desk you can find is the best. I have one of those glass-topped metal frame desks, and I actually removed the glass off of one leg of it and replaced it with a 5' long extension. As a bonus, its got a lip so stuff doesn't roll off the edge. When I have a house, I plan to build something similar but stand-alone, and in addition to being 6' (or so) long, I'll go ahead and make it more like 3' deep instead of the desk-standard 18-24".

As for storage...everyone's got their own system, but this is what I do.

In the middle, the sort of parts bins you see for nails and screws. Top & sides are the smaller sterilite drawers, the 8.5x7.25x6 7/8" ones that come in stacks of three or five. Off to the left outside the picture, larger drawers, the three-stacks that are sized to hold 8.5x11" paper. Also a couple sets of the really big ones, the 14.5x12.5x25 drawers.

poo poo is basically sorted by block type, sometimes more strictly than not...for example, 1x3 flats are their own, cheese wedges get their own drawer and so on, but there's another drawer designated "spinny things" (any brick that facilitates rotation), "computers" (any printed brick that's a computer panel) and "clicky hinges" which is obviously any sort of part that utilizes the, uh, clicking hinge attachment. Similar parts get combined in other ways, too...while 2x4 and 2x6 get their own bin, I combined 2x8 and 2x12 and 2x10 and 2x(long), for example.

But, as I said, everyone's got their own system. I would venture to guess that everyone in the thread has at least a slightly different sorting method.

And n'thing the sopwith camel love. I really need to get what I have sorted so my wife will let me buy more...

Sean OFarrell
Feb 27, 2012
I bought a house and renovated it last summer. Yesterday I went there to move all my Lego and stuff there so I could move in....I found the house broken into and everything inside gone. Am I glad I waited a few extra days before moving all my Lego there.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
Thanks, having a lip is a really good idea that I haven't thought of. I have a ruberized mat that I put on the coffee table when I build now and plan to use that on part of the desk. I have around 600 square feet thats L shaped and I plan to put up shelves on the walls so one of my first plans is to try build all my sets and put them up and see if I can fill the walls. I only have half a bookshelf and half of my dresser that I can put stuff on right now.

I hit that stage on the lego hobby list where I moved because I had no more space for lego.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Sean OFarrell posted:

I bought a house and renovated it last summer. Yesterday I went there to move all my Lego and stuff there so I could move in....I found the house broken into and everything inside gone. Am I glad I waited a few extra days before moving all my Lego there.

:raise:

Well that sucks, but...if you were "moving all your lego and stuff there", what was already there to have been taken?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

djfooboo posted:

Oh hai there!

How different is this from the early 00's Camel?

Sean OFarrell
Feb 27, 2012

Torael_7 posted:

:raise:

Well that sucks, but...if you were "moving all your lego and stuff there", what was already there to have been taken?

Furniture. Kitchen table, fridge, oven, microwave, laptop, bed...yes they even stole my loving bed, closet, vaccum, power tools, etc. Only thing I hadn't moved yet was my Lego, which I was about to do.

e: I guess when I said stuff I should have mentioned, small stuff that I wouldn't have brought there till I was ready to move in. Anyway it turns out I'll be living with my parents a bit longer.

Sean OFarrell fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 19, 2012

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god. I must have that plane!

Okay with LDD, is there any way to get an orthogonal / isometric view rather than the three point perspective view that it starts with?

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 19, 2012

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

How different is this from the early 00's Camel?

Here's the image from Brickset

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=3451-1
and holy poo poo they once made a big Fokker triplane
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=10024-1

Funny this came up just after I started watching Aces High last night

Canis Dufus
Sep 11, 2001

I finally got around to building a shoot 'em up diorama for my microscale starfighters (well, in LDD anyway). I was gonna export it to LDraw/MLCad and render it in Povray, but many of the bricks I don't exist for LDraw yet. So I touched up in Photoshop a little:

And a screenshot of the end-of-level boss, a cyborg squid named KALANOA:

Now I just need Traveller's Tales and Treasure to collaborate on an actual playable version of this and hire me as a designer so I can play with LEGO for a living. :downs:

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
I couldn't help it, toys r us had Cad Banes speeder, Battle for Geonosis,General Grevious Fighter for half off. Walked out of there for just a scratch under $100.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Canis Dufus posted:

I finally got around to building a shoot 'em up diorama for my microscale starfighters (well, in LDD anyway). I was gonna export it to LDraw/MLCad and render it in Povray, but many of the bricks I don't exist for LDraw yet. So I touched up in Photoshop a little:

And a screenshot of the end-of-level boss, a cyborg squid named KALANOA:

Now I just need Traveller's Tales and Treasure to collaborate on an actual playable version of this and hire me as a designer so I can play with LEGO for a living. :downs:
EDIT// holky gently caress that is amazing by the way. i saw the squid thing pop up on your mocpages page and i was wondering what that was going to be used for.

If you have a top-down sprite for the squid and alien things i might be able to huck em into the shooter engine i'm currently building in gamemaker, get a bit of a playable version of the thing.

WOuld also help me in getting motivated to rebuild the logic and classes in it, wich i still need to do!

DOUBLE EDIT// Link thats the engine i was working on. Looks like the last work i did on it was may last year. i really oughta finish it. but :effort:

AzMiLion fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 19, 2012

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Went to Barnes & Noble yesterday to kill some time, and they had S6 minifigs. Ended up buying new Lego for the first time in...must be creeping up on a decade. drat it Lego, just when I think I've gotten out... The clockwork robot is just my favorite thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Want that Sopwith Camel. Can they make a P-51 Mustang next?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Endless Mike posted:

Want that Sopwith Camel. Can they make a P-51 Mustang next?

Lego, I will give you all my money for a P-51 or Spitfire set. :allears:

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lego, I will give you all my money for a P-51 or Spitfire set. :allears:
Well, for 40 bucks these guys have instructions on CD:

http://www.mechanizedbrick.com/series_one_p51.html

I don't think I would be able to restrain myself if they did a big-rear end B-17/Lancaster or other bomber kit. I think there would have to be a high degree of boxiness in the design of the aircraft for Lego to be able to make it properly.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I would prefer an UCS-style model. Minifig scale aircraft always looks wrong.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
Oh, I don't know. Sometimes they look ok.

And yeah, that's all metallic silver. I don't even want to know how much it cost him.

Shuppiluliumas fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 19, 2012

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

:stare:

Holy poo poo that's beautiful.

Where do those silver bits come from? I don't think I've ever seen one before.

Are they custom plated or something?

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
Some of those pieces were never produce in silver as far as I know, and the ones that were are bloody expensive. That is really a labor of love.

I have found 1x2 silver blocks but they ended up being megablocks.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Spray paint is $3.50/can.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Wife got me The Cult of Lego and some sort of Lego Ideas Book for my birthday. She said "I couldn't get you actual Lego because you just bought a bunch of it."

I have the best wife ever.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
I'm looking to sell my old LEGO and K'Nex stuff and was wondering what would be a fair price. I've got a complete LEGO Mindstorms kit (the original, without the camera) and a complete K'Nex Big Ball Factory kit and a bunch of miscellaneous parts, well over 5000+ total pieces between the two building systems. I was thinking $80+shipping to start with for each system. They're all smoke and pet free if that helps.

Goons get first dibs if you're interested. I've transitioned to machined parts, carbon fibre and microcontrollers instead of Lego but I still understand the appeal :)

Here's some photos too.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Decoy Badger posted:

Big Ball Factory

What a fabulous product name

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Merchant of Death posted:

Some of those pieces were never produce in silver as far as I know, and the ones that were are bloody expensive. That is really a labor of love.

I have found 1x2 silver blocks but they ended up being megablocks.
Here's your 1x2 in metallic silver. I don't see any in use on that plane though.

The pieces he uses on the wing appear to be real and not that expensive. Here's one part. Another. Another. A lot of tiles aren't offered in silver, but 1x6's are. Cheese slopes.

I think it's legit.

einTier fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 19, 2012

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
There are a couple of people who chrome and metalize bricks for sale, but I think all the parts in there are stock Lego.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Un-loving-Believable. That might be one of the best/most realistic MOCs I've seen, and I'm not even an airplane buff. :aaa:

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
That's the same guy that made that metallic Delorean that he said was spray painted, so it wouldn't surprise me if the metallic elements were painted (even if official versions are available).

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Oh, I don't know. Sometimes they look ok.

And yeah, that's all metallic silver. I don't even want to know how much it cost him.

I was just about to agree on boxiness of a B-17 in LEGO, but dammit, I forgot SNOT. I always forget SNOT and that is one of the best uses of the concept I've seen.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

djfooboo posted:

Oh hai there!

I want to kiss this all over with my lips. There's no way I can avoid shelling out the cash for this.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I think that's the window from 4431.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.
I'm looking for lots and lots of base plates to attach to a wall. Instead of buying them in bulk from someone for $6-$12 each, does anyone know of a third party that makes large base plates that isn't complete crap? I'm looking to cover a large portion of a hallway with base plates that will have little scenes attached to them.

Sort of like this: