Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

rejutka posted:

Vimes will always be Pete Postlethwaite to me. :(

Can someone resurrect him please?

When he died, I was so annoyed. "No! You're not allowed to die until you play Vimes!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

rejutka posted:

Vimes will always be Pete Postlethwaite to me. :(

Can someone resurrect him please?

I was going to say as much as I love Giuseppe Coner I mean Pete Postelthwaite he's not Vimes to me but uh

I uh

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Nilbop posted:

I was going to say as much as I love Giuseppe Coner I mean Pete Postelthwaite he's not Vimes to me but uh

I uh

Sigh and so on.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Nilbop posted:

I uh

Looks more like Nobby to me there.

Chaos Sonic
Apr 5, 2007
I dunno, maybe it's because I'm a Batman fan, but I've always pictured Vimes as being played by Gary Oldman.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Chaos Sonic posted:

I dunno, maybe it's because I'm a Batman fan, but I've always pictured Vimes as being played by Gary Oldman.

Okay, this would be pretty awesome.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I have never been able to figure out what PTerry intends Vimes to look like. At first, he sounds like he should be a big guy, like Fred Colon only in better shape. But then there's the one where he acts like Columbo the whole novel so I started thinking of him as a rumpled old guy. But then any scene involving his marriage makes him sound like a typical giant Lord Of The Manor type.

He's the only character I don't have a clear picture in my head for (well, except Rincewind, but that's mostly because nobody told Kirby that he was supposed to be much younger than he appears on the early covers).

Much of why I loved the Sky version of Going Postal is that they absolutely nailed Adora and Moist. It's like they just reached into my brain and picked the exact two people I was picturing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

precision posted:

I have never been able to figure out what PTerry intends Vimes to look like. At first, he sounds like he should be a big guy, like Fred Colon only in better shape. But then there's the one where he acts like Columbo the whole novel so I started thinking of him as a rumpled old guy. But then any scene involving his marriage makes him sound like a typical giant Lord Of The Manor type.

He's the only character I don't have a clear picture in my head for

Vimes looks like Dirty Harry, only in a breastplate and helmet instead of a suit.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
I dunno, I remember when I read the Discworld books I always thought of Vimes as a slightly skinny and lanky man. What with growing up in a slum, I figured he'd be more wiry than well-built, and since he's always described as being unkempt and disgruntled, that sort of filled in a pretty good idea of what he looks like for me.

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

precision posted:

I have never been able to figure out what PTerry intends Vimes to look like.

I'm pretty sure that in one of the side books, Terry mentions that he pictures Vimes as a younger, beefier Pete Postlethwaite; I can't remember which book it was in, and could be wrong, but I don't really feel the same way...

To me, Vimes has always been a skinnier, slightly less well built Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry. Edit: basically what Jedit said really.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yeah, he said it in The Art of Discworld.

Sammyz
Dec 24, 2005
Just finished The Truth

Did I catch a Pulp Fiction reference in there with respect to Mr. Pin's wallet??

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Sammyz posted:

Just finished The Truth

Did I catch a Pulp Fiction reference in there with respect to Mr. Pin's wallet??

That you did. One of the references I'm proud to say I actually got in a sea of ones I missed :unsmith:

Wasn't it also the book with a conversation like the "royale with cheese" one?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Urdnot Fire posted:

That you did. One of the references I'm proud to say I actually got in a sea of ones I missed :unsmith:

Wasn't it also the book with a conversation like the "royale with cheese" one?

It -ing was I do recall.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I seem to recall The Truth being chock full of Pulp Fiction references.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

One our foreign friends may not get. The Low Kings of the Dwarves are crowned on the Scone of Stone. The High Kings of the Scots were crowned on the Stone of Scone (pronounced "Scoone").

Mr. Moon
Oct 22, 2007
The sky is deep and dark and eternally high...

Jedit posted:

One our foreign friends may not get. The Low Kings of the Dwarves are crowned on the Scone of Stone. The High Kings of the Scots were crowned on the Stone of Scone (pronounced "Scoone").

It's still used to crown the British monarch, though we returned it to the scots a few years ago.

And, of course, it was once famously nicked, broken, and returned amid rumours of it having been replaced.

DocRanger
Mar 13, 2012

AXE COP posted:

I can't wait until people spot the pun in Sto Lat.

That's not a pun, but a reference to a Polish birthday song. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sto_lat

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

DocRanger posted:

That's not a pun, but a reference to a Polish birthday song. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sto_lat

I actually made it up to see if anyone would fall for it then I read through the APF and discovered it was actually a reference to something. :I

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Terry's on the Late Late show in Ireland tonight if anyone is staying in. Yes, you have to put up with Ryan Tubridy but, you know, Terry.

Just finished. I don't think Terry was having a good day and he had to hunt around for the right word a few times, sometimes just changing the sentence. The interview pretty much focused on his Alzheimer's and support for assisted death, so pretty serious but Terry was Terry.

rejutka fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 4, 2012

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Crumpet posted:

I'm pretty sure that in one of the side books, Terry mentions that he pictures Vimes as a younger, beefier Pete Postlethwaite; I can't remember which book it was in, and could be wrong, but I don't really feel the same way...

That's from The Art Of Discworld.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Donated the Hebrew editions of my Pratchett books to the library. The translation is kinda crap, but a librarian told me kids were really into them. Helping raise a new generation of fans here :3:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Goodwill had a half-off sale Saturday. Found a hardback of Wintersmith, which I hadn't read yet. :woop:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I'm going to poke into this thread to say firstly that I may just have to pick up Dodger on release, and secondly, anyone that hasn't yet read Good Omens because it's not Discworld should really get off their rear end and go read it. It's one of the best books he's ever written.

It's also kind of early 90s in mood. But I still go back to it every two or three years since I first read it because it's just that good.

Edit: although some of it is timeless:

Crowley had been extremely impressed with the warranties offered by the computer industry, and had in fact sent a bundle Below to the department that drew up the Immortal Soul agreements, with a yellow memo form attached just saying: "Learn, guys."

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 16, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The problem with Good Omens, is that the bits dealing with Aziraphale and Crowley, are far more interesting than with the other characters, and then they vanish halfway through the book, while Adam and Antathema's comparatively dull subplots take place. It's only when they reappear it becomes interesting again.

davestones
May 7, 2009
Am I an incredible manchild for pre-ordering The World Of Poo?

I'm currently halfway through Snuff and this popped up in my Amazon recommended list. Hopefully it will be as delightfully immature as I am expecting it to be :unsmith:

Ashendar
Oct 19, 2011

Ive just watched this small documentary that Terry made, when he went on a quest to find an answer for himself, how he want to die.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slZnfC-V1SY

Even though i knew he had alzheimers, i didn't know that it progressed to the point that he is unable to type, and its his assistant who is writing it down from his dictation.
The way he approached this subject is amazing. I hope he did find his answer.

After seeing this, i wish he would write another novel about Death. I wonder what kind of story his brilliant mind would be able to create now, after being so close to it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

So I was at Goodwill on their weekly half-off day a couple of weeks ago and spotted a hardback of Wintersmith, which I haven't yet read. I grabbed it and just now got around to opening it to find...

Not bad for a buck!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
What a lucky find. I wonder why they put it up for sale though?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

Not bad for a buck!

Unsigned, it would have been worth $2!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

What a lucky find. I wonder why they put it up for sale though?

It's inscribed; maybe the owner didn't like the person who gave it to them?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
A lot of times valuable books get sold in estate sales because nobody has a clue.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I've still got my signed copy of The Truth in my cupboard somewhere. It says "Happy Birthday" if I remember correctly.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A lot of times valuable books get sold in estate sales because nobody has a clue.

Yup. Uncle of mine got a Bible from the 17th century this way. Bought it blind as part of a job lot of tatty old books for £50, sold it for £11,000. Lucky bugger.

And my copy of Good Omens is signed by both Pratchett and Gaiman. Terry wrote "We made the devil do it!" and when I met Neil at a signing a few years later he added "And we got the royalties!". It's totally adorable :3:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A long time ago, I found a tattered first edition paperback copy of Hunter S. Thompson's Hell's Angels at a thrift store.

It had notes in the margins. Notes written by loving Sonny Barger. :stare:

I lost it in a move. :(

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

precision posted:

A long time ago, I found a tattered first edition paperback copy of Hunter S. Thompson's Hell's Angels at a thrift store.

It had notes in the margins. Notes written by loving Sonny Barger. :stare:

I lost it in a move. :(

God drat.

I asked Terry to sign a book for "the worlds greatest librarian", my mother, and it was inscribed "ook ook ook". :hellyeah:

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Irisi posted:

And my copy of Good Omens is signed by both Pratchett and Gaiman. Terry wrote "We made the devil do it!" and when I met Neil at a signing a few years later he added "And we got the royalties!". It's totally adorable :3:

Almost the same here - including the years apart thing. I got a "but he let's us keep all the royalties" from Neil and he added a couple more bat egg-timer things along with the hastily inscribed one I got from Terry.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Irisi posted:

Yup. Uncle of mine got a Bible from the 17th century this way. Bought it blind as part of a job lot of tatty old books for £50, sold it for £11,000. Lucky bugger.

You may not know this, and you'll certainly never see it, but when they're not writing books or signing things for fans at conventions Neil and Terry are out in the woods having lots of fun and adventures together.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
In other Pterry news, Choosing to Die, Terry's documentary on assisted suicide, won the BAFTA award for Best Single Documentary this year. I missed it when it was on TV, alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

While I have no doubts it is an excellent documentary, that is an incredibly depressing title :smith: