Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akalies
May 31, 2000

Young Freud posted:

Which he probably would have done if he wasn't crippled by the Kelvin, which led to his capture by the Klingons. Of course, this would have been easier explained if they hadn't cut out Nero's imprisonment and escape.

Why not do it after he escaped? Why head over to Vulcan (a federation core world) alone and start poo poo first? Sure it might be tempting, but even basic reasoning makes saving the home world the priority. Especially since his family man status was so important to his personality... Uh supposedly.

Why not do it at any point in the film? Sure the Romulans would be suspicious, but giving them a free super ship with sensor logs of the home world blowing up would probably be enough to convince them to watch out for it.

Edit: In an effort to figure this poo poo out for myself I made the mistake of reading the Nero article on Memory Beta. Apparently in a comic book V'Ger wanted to make love to the Narada, and since Nero was on drugs he had a psychic link between the two. Welp. I still really like Star Trek (2009), but maybe I just need to accept it for the thrill-ride it is. It's too bad - Nero had a lot of potential as a cool character. If it was handled better, he could have easily been Spock's Khan.

Akalies fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Young Freud posted:

Which he probably would have done if he wasn't crippled by the Kelvin, which led to his capture by the Klingons. Of course, this would have been easier explained if they hadn't cut out Nero's imprisonment and escape.

Except that would have been another twenty minutes without Chris Pine or Zachary Quinto, and who the gently caress wants that?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I have always been confused by the beginning of the movie. So Nero is chasing after Spock and they get sucked back in time. Then they see the Kelvin. Captain goes aboard Nero's ship and he tells him the stardate, and then Nero all of a sudden gets pissed even though he is back in time to a point where he can actually do something about saving his planet?

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Yeah but his wife is still dead / not born yet.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I just don't get why he's blaming spock for a natural supernova, which (as far as I know) no one caused, and he lashes out at the person who was actually trying to help. Because hey, everyone can stop what's probably the most primal powerful force in creation, right? drat YOU SPOCK! Not to mention, say he gets his wish and wipes out spock and the federation. Doesn't change what's gonna happen with the supernova! I suppose they could colonize a planet that they destroy... well, no, can't do that either since they disintegrate the planets.

I dunno, I gripe because it just feels like a shoehorned-in conflict. Why not just skip all that altogether, and have it stem from something back in their history like the vulcan-romulan racial split? They're supposed to be the same originally, right? Some civil war ages past which caused the two societies to split, and Spock is a descendant from some guy or clan who killed off Nero's ancestors. Basic old school clan revenge story, but I would buy it a lot more than the above. He could also target the federation since they've allied with vulcan. The only thing missing is time travel, but since he seems to have borg tech, that problem is solved too. There! Same story, but different motivations, and the pieces still fall the same.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I took it to be because he was full of rage and none-too-intelligent.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Noxville posted:

Nero's basically a space redneck and Spock's space Obama who failed to save his hometown, his wife, and unborn child from getting flattened a natural event.

Of course he's going to think there was some sort of conspiracy and Spock wanted Romulus destroyed after all and the only reason he went to save it was to get everyone's hopes up.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

NarkyBark posted:

I just don't get why he's blaming spock for a natural supernova, which (as far as I know) no one caused, and he lashes out at the person who was actually trying to help. Because hey, everyone can stop what's probably the most primal powerful force in creation, right? drat YOU SPOCK!

The implication I always got was that Spock was a respected personality on Romulus due to his decades of work for unification. Furthering that, based on the mind-meld with Kirk, I always got the idea that Spock arrogantly told the Romulans that though the sun was going to go nova, he would -- not could -- stop it, and they put their faith in him. Imagine the propaganda from the Romulan government: "Ambassador Spock is developing technology of blah blah blah to prevent the blah blah blah and it will protect our planet." Then, boom, sun goes nova, Romulus goes boom, and you have one really pissed-off Romulan captain, who first moves to destroy Spock's ship and then gets caught in the black hole in the process.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
There's actually some comic I somehow got a hold of before the movie came out that explains all this in depth but lord knows where I got it or what happened in it.

I remember Geordi designed that space ship. And I think Spock was going rogue to help Romulus and the other Vulcans refused to help him or something.

I don't know, it all made perfect sense when I saw the movie.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Role Play McMurphy posted:

There's actually some comic I somehow got a hold of before the movie came out that explains all this in depth but lord knows where I got it or what happened in it.

I remember Geordi designed that space ship. And I think Spock was going rogue to help Romulus and the other Vulcans refused to help him or something.

I don't know, it all made perfect sense when I saw the movie.

It still doesn't really explain why Nero hates Spock, other than general crazy. I guess all that Romulan propaganda about Vulcans and the Federation gave him a conspiracy theory fall back when his world was destroyed, but there's still no actual reason given for him to hate Spock so much.

It's just Spock trying as hard as he can to stop it, failing, Nero killing a bunch of the remaining Romulans in order to get Borg tech so he can gently caress up Spock and the Federation, intercepting Spock as he tries to stop the continuing blast wave, black hole, and then the movie picks up the story.

Really all reading the tie in comic does is make you less empathetic to Nero. Well, that and you get some nerdy cameos as all the TNG people show up in what are essentially Where Are They Now situations. Everything you actually need to know about the scenario is told to you by Spock and Nero in the movie.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^Actually as much as I hate being the nerd going 'well if you read the tie in comics...' they are legit kinda good reads that really humanize Nero as more than the chump who shrieked "FIRE EVERYTHING" as his last words, if you are going 'wait Nero is a loving idiot', try to get your hands on the tie-ins. They do a good job showing him as a kinda dumb dude with a whole lot of very understandable rage feeling like he has nothing left to lose.

He's dumb and desperate and you can kinda understand that in his context, and the comics do a decent job showing him as a man with nothing to live for (family is big in his part of Romulan culture, his wife/kid being dead means he basically has nothing).

Noxville posted:

Yea remember he's not a politician or soldier or whatever, he's a loving miner. He saw his people wiped out and that drat Vulcan nearby, so he went "FUCKIN VULCANS!!!!" and built a death ship.

Basically Nero is a most likely poorly educated dude with a lot of rage and access to a gently caress you space cruiser, and let's not forget Romulans regardless don't care for Vulcans, so finding one to point to to go 'that motherfucker!' is easy.

For a bigger answer, Spock basically went rogue to defy Federation choices and help Romulus to honor his father's works, so basically when the guy who, for a long time, has gone 'listen, I want to help, let me help' seemingly isn't around for the literal worst thing to happen, it's kinda easy to go 'oh gently caress you, Spock'.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 12, 2012

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Glitterbomber posted:

^^^Actually as much as I hate being the nerd going 'well if you read the tie in comics...' they are legit kinda good reads that really humanize Nero as more than the chump who shrieked "FIRE EVERYTHING" as his last words, if you are going 'wait Nero is a loving idiot', try to get your hands on the tie-ins. They do a good job showing him as a kinda dumb dude with a whole lot of very understandable rage feeling like he has nothing left to lose.

I did not get that at all from them. They start out humanizing him a little, and then he goes around rescuing government leaders to get secret codes from them and then dump them in space, uses those codes to infiltrate a double top secret Romulan base to force upgrades to his ship with Borg tech and then goes on a hunt for completely misplaced vengeance. The comics even make it worse because you see how hard Spock is working to save Romulus only to have this crazy dude blame him.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Wait, Nero built a death ship?

I always assumed that was how the Romulan miners rolled, in giant planetcrackers that had dual-use equipment that would be considered beyond state-of-the-art weaponry in the 23rd century. Like, they're not even firing photon torpedoes or any other real weapons at the feddiepunks, they're throwing out autonomous mining probes with seismic charges that just happen to penetrate TOS-era shields and gently caress up TOS-era ships. Like, the real Romulan warships are running around with thalaron emitters and fire-through cloaking fields and other high-end weapons. You know, I don't even think they're carrying personal disruptors, it looks more like rivet guns.

That whole "Nero built a death ship following Romulus' destruction" seems less cool in my eyes than "disgruntled miner goes on rampage after Spock fails to save his wife".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It works in the context of Romulans though. Like, Romulan 'special ops' involves a poo poo ton of murder because you don't leave any loose threads, but it's all for a purpose and for a solid goal rather than 'MY FAMILY IS DEEEEEAD'. He understands what the Romulan 'special forces' would do in this situation, but he doesn't understand the actual details that come with years of training.. The vibe I got from it was pity because he basically is the equivalent of some redneck who fetishizes the Navy Seals, and when he faces a great loss he gets revenge 'Seal style' with a shitass M16 and a crude understanding of 'special ops'.

His anger being misplaced is the whole point of the character, you're supposed to think 'man if he spent half the time of this project not being insane he could maybe do some real good for the Romulan refugees.' Instead, he looks at Spock and goes 'hey, gently caress that dude for not being magic and somehow stopping a supernova'. Maybe I'm just weird but I was left feeling sorry for Nero rather than thinking he was dumb.

Also yea, he built the gently caress off ship, refit mining gear would be cool as hell though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Young Freud posted:

Wait, Nero built a death ship?

I always assumed that was how the Romulan miners rolled, in giant planetcrackers that had dual-use equipment that would be considered beyond state-of-the-art weaponry in the 23rd century. Like, they're not even firing photon torpedoes or any other real weapons at the feddiepunks, they're throwing out autonomous mining probes with seismic charges that just happen to penetrate TOS-era shields and gently caress up TOS-era ships. Like, the real Romulan warships are running around with thalaron emitters and fire-through cloaking fields and other high-end weapons. You know, I don't even think they're carrying personal disruptors, it looks more like rivet guns.

That whole "Nero built a death ship following Romulus' destruction" seems less cool in my eyes than "disgruntled miner goes on rampage after Spock fails to save his wife".

Yeah, I always figured figured the same thing, like how we probably couldn't doshit to federation TOS era equipment and civil war era stuff probably couldn't do much damage to modern mining poo poo. Hell the modus operandi of drilling into the core of a planet and blowing it up that way fits what I imagine super advanced space mining equipment could do.

Edit: Part of me suspects the screenwriters and JJ Abrams had nothing to do with the comic tie ins, and you shouldn't need them to make sense of the movie anyways, so I'm going to continue to think that's how it was.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 12, 2012

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
No, I'm pretty sure the screenwriters at least outlined the plot of the comics and got story credits. All they are is basically an extended cut of the whole mind-meld backstory so it was material they came up with anyway.

In my experience the comics made Nero's motivations make more sense, not less, I feel like I was misunderstood.

Edit: Here's the plot summary: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Countdown#section_2

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

When you look at the whole comic backstory it just seems like Spock was a convenient scapegoat for the Vulcans as a whole failing to help the Romulans. At least Spock actually tried to do something, even if it failed.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Actually if I recall, Nero's ship gets outfitted with borg weaponry and stuff.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I agree with Young Freud. I've always been a much bigger fan of the idea that Nero's ship is just a huge loving mining ship with technology a century or more ahead of TOS-era stuff, and that's why it is able to tear through them so easily when it would probably be torn to shreds by the "modern" equivalents of the Enterprise from its own era.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Gyges posted:

I did not get that at all from them. They start out humanizing him a little, and then he goes around rescuing government leaders to get secret codes from them and then dump them in space, uses those codes to infiltrate a double top secret Romulan base to force upgrades to his ship with Borg tech and then goes on a hunt for completely misplaced vengeance. The comics even make it worse because you see how hard Spock is working to save Romulus only to have this crazy dude blame him.

I know I've joked that JJTrek is far closer to Nemesis than most people realize, but drat.

Bald, Romulan miner nobody rapidly, inexplicably gains power and builds a Super Comic Book Ship of Spikes and Super Weapons in a top secret Romulan base and goes out for misplaced vengeance against $MAJOR_TREK_CHARACTER, with the intent of destroying Earth with his gigantic planet-killer.

Crackpipe fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 13, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
That's pretty much the point. Nero is the personification of Nemesis, and when he appears in 'the original series', it's tied into Bones' speech about how space is full of disease and death. Folks looking for rational motivation and such miss the point that he is just crazy and stupid, not really understanding (or caring to understand) the implications of his time-fuckery. He's all avenging people who haven't died yet, and killing people who haven't done anything yet. "I saw it happen! Don't tell me it didn't happen!"

The film uses this conceit to depict Nemesis as a disease that the series needs to be cleansed of - the embodiment of Bones' pessimistic, cynical outlook. And that's related to the body-horror-comedy of Kirk with the hosed-up hands, the bleak fuckin' ice planet, and generally how the Kobiyashi-Maru is all about making a person experience hopelessness. That is, until Kirk uses his foreknowledge of the test's outcome to 'go back in time', changing his fate by altering the program. Much like Old Spock does, right? It's a microcosm.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think Trek09 is Nemesis done right. Both are grabs for mainstream attention with a more action-heavy, blockbustery approach, but in Nemesis it's an insanely awkward fit done by people who don't know how to make it work and just reeks of desperation- it's like a 49 year old guy slathering on Axe and going to a frat party to pick up chicks. (This also applies to much of Enterprise.) Trek 09 starts with a clean slate and makes the approach work.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Jerusalem posted:

I agree with Young Freud. I've always been a much bigger fan of the idea that Nero's ship is just a huge loving mining ship with technology a century or more ahead of TOS-era stuff, and that's why it is able to tear through them so easily when it would probably be torn to shreds by the "modern" equivalents of the Enterprise from its own era.

I'm in agreement on this when it come to the how and why Nero's ship is able to wreck the poo poo out of pre-era TOS ships, and I say pre-era because the Enterprise in Trek 09 was 100% state of the art at the start of that movie on the timeline. I mean Nero is a really pissed off space red-neck that has a fetish for his species military and through sheer dumb luck gets transported back in time 150 years to where even his low tech mining equipment can destroy anything it comes up against in the same way that transporting Killdozer back to Gettysberg would see it wreck the poo poo out of anything it went up against. Pit Nero up against the Enterprise E and he gets squashed as fast as Killdozer would be if it went up against an M1-A1.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think Trek09 is Nemesis done right. Both are grabs for mainstream attention with a more action-heavy, blockbustery approach, but in Nemesis it's an insanely awkward fit done by people who don't know how to make it work and just reeks of desperation- it's like a 49 year old guy slathering on Axe and going to a frat party to pick up chicks. (This also applies to much of Enterprise.) Trek 09 starts with a clean slate and makes the approach work.
Honestly the villain in Trek '09 is secondary to the main Enterprise crew, which is a good thing considering most of his backstory was left on the cutting room floor. I think that's why it works. If they had removed all that backstory and still spent a lot of the movie focusing on Nero, the film would have been closer to Nemesis levels of quality. But it also helps that they had a competent director for Trek '09, whereas Nemesis was both poorly directed and written. Considering the performances we've seen out of Tom Hardy post-Nemesis, I believe the writing was the main issue. He clearly wasn't the problem.

tarzan
Nov 11, 2004

I have a big vine

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wonder if they'll go with the head ridges on the Klingons this time.

I'm hoping for Peurto Ricans in gold lamé.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

So it was revealed that Cupcake is coming back. Also apparently he's in one of the comics that lead up to the new movie (which I don't know the canon level of but they're being written with the new movie's script in mind) and he's a character from TOS called Ensign Hendorff. Basically a nobody at the time but if he's back he'll probably be doing something important. Or dying. Who knows.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

korusan posted:

So it was revealed that Cupcake is coming back. Also apparently he's in one of the comics that lead up to the new movie (which I don't know the canon level of but they're being written with the new movie's script in mind) and he's a character from TOS called Ensign Hendorff. Basically a nobody at the time but if he's back he'll probably be doing something important. Or dying. Who knows.

Who?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

The redshirt from the bar that Kirk sucker-punches.

Kirk calls him "cupcake" and there's a call-back to it when he catches Kirk and Scotty after they beam themselves onto the Enterprise.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

I had to Google who the hell he was talking about and was able to find it.

The security officer that gets in a fight with Kirk at the bar and, later in the film, arrests him aboard the Enterprise.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 27, 2012

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

That is literally the most inconsequential casting news I have ever heard.

E. Unless you're Cupcake's friends and family of course.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
I like it. Shows an attention to detail and internally consistent universe.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Terror Sweat posted:

That is literally the most inconsequential casting news I have ever heard.

E. Unless you're Cupcake's friends and family of course.

Beats spergin' about Cumberbatch.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

korusan posted:

Beats spergin' about Cumberbatch.

Clearly. Look at all the interesting conversation it's sparked.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Except the fact that the guy remembered that and used it over THREE YEARS LATER is one of the dumbest things in that movie.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Haha wtf how short is your memory? You think that's a plothole? I still remember what the kid that slapped my best friend in the face in the high school cafeteria said to him a decade ago, I'd definitely remember exactly what caused a bloody, bar-clearing brawl. Especially when they then went to Starfleet Academy together and saw each other on a regular basis. Get real.

edit: no it's not
vvv

Role Play McMurphy fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 27, 2012

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Haha wtf how short is your memory? You think that's a plothole? I still remember what the kid that slapped my best friend in the face in the high school cafeteria said to him a decade ago, I'd definitely remember exactly what caused a bloody, bar-clearing brawl. Especially when they then went to Starfleet Academy together and saw each other on a regular basis. Get real.

He didn't say it was a plothole, he said it was dumb. Which it kind of is. It's just a really long time before a small callback for the audience, and in the film itself it's a weird thing for him to remember.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
ok, more accurately, its dumb writing. That guys entire existence in the film is just to deliver that dumb joke. The setup and payoff are like, an hour apart. They might as well have called him CADET PUNCHLINE in the credits.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I liked the delivery, the joke made me laugh in the theater. Still, with respect to the guy, that's basically like saying they're re-using a prop from the first movie.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

In a sense this is no different than those nobody crew members who came back. That guy Leslie from the original series (always in the transporter room but was never really important) appears in Wrath of Khan, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
So has anyone posted this yet?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/9285164/How-Simon-Pegg-became-a-big-fish.html

An interview with Simon Pegg where he says that Cumberbatch is not playing Khan.

quote:

Pegg is full of praise for Cumberbatch’s baddy, whom he describes as “not just another disgruntled alien. It’s a really interesting… sort of… thing,” he squirms. “Obviously I can’t talk about it.” Given internet rumours that Cumberbatch has been cast as Kirk and Spock nemesis Khan, will this be a very different “wrath of Khan” from the 1982 film of the same name? “It’s not Khan,” replies Pegg, annoyed. “That’s a myth. Everyone’s saying it is, but it’s not.”

Is that misinformation from the famously secretive Abrams camp? “No, I think people just want to have a scoop. It annoys me – it’s beyond the point to just ferret around for spoilers all the time to try to be the first to break them,” says Pegg, a fanboy’s fanboy who wrote an autobiography called Nerd Do Well and who seems to have forgotten that part of the thrill of being a comic book/film/sci-fi fan is about getting as many details as possible in advance. “It just spoils the film,” he complains. “It masquerades as interest in the movie but really it’s just nosiness and impatience. You just want to say, ‘Oh f--- off! Wait for the film!’”

• Locked thread