Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Lizard Combatant posted:

The Mines of Moria. I think Boromir has the best likeness, then maybe Legolas or Pippin.

These sets can not come out soon enough...why do you have to be so behind the times Kmart!!! I hate going to wal-mart. I might as well order them on amazon and get my free shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Speaking of Duplo, we have a strict "no LEGO in the trash" rule in this house. This includes any tiny random piece that my kids may have lost on the floor that is about to be vacuumed up. They will be kept forever! I'm sure most people here are the same way, but I was wondering what the general consensus was on Duplo. As Gravy would say I am no AFOD. I have a bag of them from the kids but I see them simply as starter Lego and never touch them anymore since the kids are grown.

I was going to take them to goodwill or something but didn't know if they would take a bag of random loose Duplo. Or if someone here really wants them PM me and I could throw them in a box if you'd pay a couple bucks for shipping or something.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Mr. Glass posted:

Why does Ohio get all the Lego stores :argh:

Anyway I'm pretty sure I saw Avengers stuff at the Monroeville TRU back when it was first coming out. I haven't been there since, though, so I really have no idea what their selection is like now.

There's a pretty cool independent Lego store in the Ohio Center (Ohio Valley?) Mall, which is only about an hour and a half out of Pittsburgh. They have a huge display case of minifigs, some of them custom built in the store with like, BrickArms/BrickForge stuff and it's pretty cool. Or you can buy a single Prince of Persia Ostrich. And they're pretty nice folk.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I don't know if this has been brought up yet but for Queen Elizabeths diamond jubilee, the London legoland is making a 10cm high model of the queen. It'll have a crown with actual diamonds in it.

http://www.todayonline.com/World/Worldinbrief/EDC120426-0000020/Lego-model-of-Queen-Elizabeth-II-planned-for-Jubilee

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

ChesterJT posted:

Speaking of Duplo, we have a strict "no LEGO in the trash" rule in this house. This includes any tiny random piece that my kids may have lost on the floor that is about to be vacuumed up. They will be kept forever! I'm sure most people here are the same way, but I was wondering what the general consensus was on Duplo. As Gravy would say I am no AFOD. I have a bag of them from the kids but I see them simply as starter Lego and never touch them anymore since the kids are grown.

I will sum up my feelings for Duplo by posting this photo of my son again.

Actually I'm much the same as you. It's a great toy, obviously, it's durable and fun but yeah, I'm not planning on keeping my kid's training wheels when he learns how to ride a bike without them ;)

I passed it on. It is pretty expensive stuff and it's nice to know it had another home to go to once my kid didn't want to play with "baby lego" any more.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

ChesterJT posted:

I was going to take them to goodwill or something but didn't know if they would take a bag of random loose Duplo. Or if someone here really wants them PM me and I could throw them in a box if you'd pay a couple bucks for shipping or something.

I'll take it, PM will be sent in a bit.

Duplo can be really good for making large sceneries. Use it as a bottom base, and then build on top. So, if you're working on a hill or mountain, or a tunnel for your train it can be great. Just gotta be creative with it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Pirate Ken posted:

I'll take it, PM will be sent in a bit.

Duplo can be really good for making large sceneries. Use it as a bottom base, and then build on top. So, if you're working on a hill or mountain, or a tunnel for your train it can be great. Just gotta be creative with it.

Or Meatpunk

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

My boy loved his first Lego set. I am a proud Daddy!

My male biological clock has been ticking recently. I just had to hit snooze on an alarm.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Dug out some old sets and wow, there is some serious yellowing on a few of these old white minifigs.

It may not come across in the photo, but I thought maybe this was a sand variant at first, it's so tan. The helmet is still perfectly white though. Very odd.

So much for my plan to sell a few old minifigs on Bricklink... and this is right on the heels of trying to sell an old NXT system then finding out the batteries had been left in it and had corroded up the $100 main unit.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 14, 2012

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
You could try hydrogen peroxide, but I don't know what that'd do to the printing on the minifig.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Digital War posted:

You could try hydrogen peroxide, but I don't know what that'd do to the printing on the minifig.

This apparently works well, and doesn't seem to hurt the printing. There are a couple of Lego bricks in Gallery 2.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

What kind of Space Marine squad would be armed only with pistols? Pfft. Everyone knows that a basic commando unit is a few riflemen, plus a scout, scout, sniper & commander and that they're armed appropriately.

I need to find a chainsword piece for the commander...

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Devastator squad to follow?

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

I wasn't even really thinking straight out of WH40k so much as I was thinking "nothing but pistols is dumb", but I do like your train of thought.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

My daughter picked the Ninjago snake mech for a birthday present and my wife stole my Fallingwater away and has it about half built.

Since we're sharing :3: family stories, and all.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

rickiep00h posted:

My daughter picked the Ninjago snake mech for a birthday present and my wife stole my Fallingwater away and has it about half built.

Since we're sharing :3: family stories, and all.

My wife endorses the idea of building an entire battlescape on the dining room table with the super star destroyer as its centerpiece.

:hfive: awesome spouses.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

7thBatallion posted:

You got S7 in? I could go for a single space marine.

Yeah, s7 has been out since the 1st.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Torael_7 posted:

I need to find a chainsword piece for the commander...

Only if it's orange :colbert:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Torael_7 posted:

My wife endorses the idea of building an entire battlescape on the dining room table with the super star destroyer as its centerpiece.

:hfive: awesome spouses.

Girlfriend just beat me at the Heroica game I got over the weekend. Combined it with a smaller one I already had, but couldn't think of a better overall win condition than "get back to the starting point with the most gold."

So her barbarian gets nine coins and just traipses back to the boat. I couldn't stop laughing. "You just decided you have enough gold? You're dungeon diving and there are still monsters to kill and treasure to grab and you decided you have enough gold?!"

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Saint Sputnik posted:

Girlfriend just beat me at the Heroica game I got over the weekend. Combined it with a smaller one I already had, but couldn't think of a better overall win condition than "get back to the starting point with the most gold."

So her barbarian gets nine coins and just traipses back to the boat. I couldn't stop laughing. "You just decided you have enough gold? You're dungeon diving and there are still monsters to kill and treasure to grab and you decided you have enough gold?!"

I never thought of that as win condition. I need to set up a larger field and make it less linear. Most kills, or every X kills, gets a gold, and each artifact/potion is worth some gold. Lives cost gold.

In other news: http://io9.com/5909719/the-nine-circles-of-hell-as-depicted-in-lego?tag=legos i didn't see this here yet.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

quote:

The location of the eighth brand store in the UK has been revealed on the jobs section of LEGO.com. It will be in Manchester, in the Arndale Centre, in the middle of the city.

Woo-loving-hoo :D :D :D

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Amoeba102 posted:

I never thought of that as win condition. I need to set up a larger field and make it less linear. Most kills, or every X kills, gets a gold, and each artifact/potion is worth some gold. Lives cost gold.

In other news: http://io9.com/5909719/the-nine-circles-of-hell-as-depicted-in-lego?tag=legos i didn't see this here yet.

Dante's Satan is supposed to have three faces. I'm let down.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Gravy Jones posted:

Would be awesome if it opens in time for my holiday to the UK, ill be staying near that area at another goon's house. So we might have to make a trip to Manchester, since we're both LEGO nuts.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

AzMiLion posted:

Would be awesome if it opens in time for my holiday to the UK, ill be staying near that area at another goon's house. So we might have to make a trip to Manchester, since we're both LEGO nuts.

It opens late August.

In other news I picked up the Statue of Liberty mini-fig today.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Kazy posted:

Only if it's orange :colbert:

That's exactly the piece I was looking for, but I'm still (:negative:) sorting all the bulk lego I bought back in September, so if I have any of those at all I have no idea where they are.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Torael_7 posted:

That's exactly the piece I was looking for, but I'm still (:negative:) sorting all the bulk lego I bought back in September, so if I have any of those at all I have no idea where they are.

I went excitedly upstairs to snap a picture and make a "Sorry, looks like we're hoarding them all!" joke... and as it turns out we haven't sorted that well either.

Just one lonely trans-orange chainsaw in there.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Gravy Jones posted:

Wahey!

The location of the Liverpool store has meant that I've visited the city a couple of times, but moving it to Manchester is a huge boon for me. I think I'll still visit Liverpool on occasion, but I know Manchester like the back of my hand so a shopping trip there is much more convenient. Chuffed to bits at this news!

I really hope we get some staff working there who are AFOLs/have some influence on the PaB wall - I'm so jealous of what some of the Americans get in their walls.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Faerunner posted:

I went excitedly upstairs to snap a picture and make a "Sorry, looks like we're hoarding them all!" joke... and as it turns out we haven't sorted that well either.

Just one lonely trans-orange chainsaw in there.

I see your semi-sorted minifig parts box and raise you and

e: Also

mynnna fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 15, 2012

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That looks horrifyingly familiar. :(

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
I ordered the samurai minifig from series...3 I think, over a week ago off ebay.

Today I got a package in the mail...

And instead of the samurai I ordered I've got a ninjago and some weird kendo dude?

Sad times. Apparently the seller accepts returns but I have to pay postage. He's in South Korea.

Kinda bummed...

tikan
Apr 30, 2009

runwiled posted:

I ordered the samurai minifig from series...3 I think, over a week ago off ebay.

Today I got a package in the mail...

And instead of the samurai I ordered I've got a ninjago and some weird kendo dude?

Sad times. Apparently the seller accepts returns but I have to pay postage. He's in South Korea.

Kinda bummed...

Why would you pay for his scam?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Seriously. You'd better start a Paypal dispute, man.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

tikan posted:

Why would you pay for his scam?

99.2% positive feedback for over 6000 transactions. The auction let you select a character from a range and there were two samurai left when I bought one, now there are none. I suspect he may have sold more than he had and tried to cover himself by sending two figures that were of similar theme.

We'll see if he replies to my message.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
File a dispute, cut your losses and use bricklink.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Lizard Combatant posted:

File a dispute, cut your losses and use bricklink.

Pretty much!

Edit: was it ever established in the thread that it's a bad idea to ebay minifigs? If not, lesson right here folks

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Speaking of minifigs, I got 2 programmers today! :neckbeard:

Also got 2 swimmers (boring) and a bagpiper (not boring).

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I got a Jem, Evil Knieval, Black Knight, and my first duplicate for this series, another Tarzan today. Still no Space Marine, Programmer, or Bunny Guy, the three I've wanted the most.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Mr. Glass posted:

Speaking of minifigs, I got 2 programmers today! :neckbeard:

Also got 2 swimmers (boring) and a bagpiper (not boring).

I meant to get two programmers yesterday, but wasn't paying attention and wound up with two hippies instead.

The place I get my minifigs at puts them out labeled as to what they are, for the record, and the hippie/programmer are 11 & 12, respectively.

e: Also, am I the only one who thinks that the Black Knight goes from "rawr I am psychotic and angry" to pissing-pants frightened when you put on his helmet? It covers up his eyebrows which seem very necessary to convey the proper effect.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Haha. These three auctions popped up on my phone earlier:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/tag/3016885211.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/tag/3016867278.html

In case they're removed, they're from the same person selling, one ad per tub of lego.
The pricing? Tub 1: 18 pounds, $65. Tub 2: 20.5 pounds, $80, also had a mostly-complete Clone Turbo Tank with box. Tub 3: 22.2 pounds, $85. Tubs were included. 60 pounds of Lego for $230, about half its usual resale value.

I emailed the guy as soon as I saw them, but since he lives 90 minutes north of me, there wasn't a very good chance of me getting them. He emailed back 5 hours later with a phone number, and when I called a little while later, he said he had already sold them, and had a lot of responses to the ads. The woman who got them was only 15 minutes away. Since they were already gone, I felt I had to tell the guy why it was so popular.
He was a little stunned when I said that Lego usually goes for $8-10 per pound on Craigslist. "I guess my wife didn't do much research!"

In retail news, the Bonney Lake Fred Meyer has Mines of Moira, Gandalf's Arrival, and the Shelob sets. FM also has BOGOFree on Hero Factory and a handful of other sets are ~20% off.
I felt up minifigs because I wanted to round out my Space Marines to a squad of 10, and went 5/5. It was harder than I expected--the armor was tough to isolate and accurately feel, but when I started looking for a bulky package and then searching out the double-barrel pistol, it was much more reliable. I only identified 4/5 in the fresh box I opened, but the very first package I grabbed from a ransacked box turned out to be another Marine.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Pyroclastic posted:

Haha. These three auctions popped up on my phone earlier:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/tag/3016885211.html

In case they're removed, they're from the same person selling, one ad per tub of lego.
The pricing? Tub 1: 18 pounds, $65. Tub 2: 20.5 pounds, $80, also had a mostly-complete Clone Turbo Tank with box. Tub 3: 22.2 pounds, $85. Tubs were included. 60 pounds of Lego for $230, about half its usual resale value.

I emailed the guy as soon as I saw them, but since he lives 90 minutes north of me, there wasn't a very good chance of me getting them. He emailed back 5 hours later with a phone number, and when I called a little while later, he said he had already sold them, and had a lot of responses to the ads. The woman who got them was only 15 minutes away. Since they were already gone, I felt I had to tell the guy why it was so popular.
He was a little stunned when I said that Lego usually goes for $8-10 per pound on Craigslist. "I guess my wife didn't do much research!"

In retail news, the Bonney Lake Fred Meyer has Mines of Moira, Gandalf's Arrival, and the Shelob sets. FM also has BOGOFree on Hero Factory and a handful of other sets are ~20% off.
I felt up minifigs because I wanted to round out my Space Marines to a squad of 10, and went 5/5. It was harder than I expected--the armor was tough to isolate and accurately feel, but when I started looking for a bulky package and then searching out the double-barrel pistol, it was much more reliable. I only identified 4/5 in the fresh box I opened, but the very first package I grabbed from a ransacked box turned out to be another Marine.

Edit: NVM

Adregan fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 16, 2012