Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Torael_7 posted:

I see your semi-sorted minifig parts box and raise you and

e: Also

Yeah, I just took a photo of a single organized box. One of these days I'll get photos of the Lego Room...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keywoz9lUgA&t=0m59s
Just saw this, at least there's no tentacles.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
The Lord of the Rings sets are now available from S&H for Canada/USA. I am tempted to buy up the entire line now but know it will be on sale in a few months and I already have lots of sets that still haven't been opened.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Is the VW Bus still going to be available in the UK for a while?

I'm going pick it up after summer and I'm dreading it going OOP.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

PriorMarcus posted:

It should be around till then. It only came out last year, no? I'd just snaffle away a 20 every couple of weeks, and its paid before you know it.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Merchant of Death posted:

The Lord of the Rings sets are now available from S&H for Canada/USA. I am tempted to buy up the entire line now but know it will be on sale in a few months and I already have lots of sets that still haven't been opened.

Man, am I the only one that thinks the sets themselves are kinda lame? Most of them seem to be in the "action diorama" format instead of being nice standalone models.

The only one that really looks tempting to me is Gandalf Arrives, and it's $12.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Mr. Glass posted:

Man, am I the only one that thinks the sets themselves are kinda lame?

I think the sets are lame, but I will be buying whatever gets me the fellowship minifigs.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Mr. Glass posted:

Man, am I the only one that thinks the sets themselves are kinda lame? Most of them seem to be in the "action diorama" format instead of being nice standalone models.

I like Weathertop because it's actually a solid 3D thing rather than an "action diorama" (which I'm also not a big fan of). That said it's really expensive for what it is. Not just in terms of price per piece... but it has a lot of small pieces so for a 400+ piece set it's actually pretty small.

It's probably the one I'm mostly likely to get eventually.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 16, 2012

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Gravy Jones posted:

I like Weathertop because it's actually a solid 3D thing rather than an "action diorama" (which I'm also not a big fan of). That said it's really expensive for what it is. Not just in terms of price per piece... but it has a lot of small pieces so for a 400+ piece set it's actually pretty small.

It's probably the one I'm mostly likely to get eventually.

Yeah, Weathertop was the only other one that really caught my eye. On second glance, Helm's Deep is OK I guess (the fact that you can attach the wall in the Uruk-hai Army set to it is pretty cool, though).

e: I'd totally shell out for microscale landmarks, though. Minas Tirith on my desk next to Fallingwater? Yes please. :colbert:

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 16, 2012

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

PriorMarcus posted:

I can't see it being discontinued any time soon and they'll probably be warning if it is.

It's worth keeping an eye out on various Euro-Amazons as well as they can have discounts on these kind of things and the pound is pretty strong at the moment. It's been discounted to less than the UK retail price (including postage) on Amazon.es recently.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Mr. Glass posted:

Speaking of minifigs, I got 2 programmers today! :neckbeard:

Also got 2 swimmers (boring) and a bagpiper (not boring).

Target in ELiberty? That's a load off my mind, then. Took my friend back with me, felt up every remaining bag, felt exactly one programmer. Was afraid I'd have to break the news to you :(

She wanted a Jem but didn't want to feel more bags after finding my programmer so just grabbed one at random and ended up with a Jem by chance!

All the Space Marines and bagpipers were gone though. And there was a legit dude playing Bagpipes in that park on Fifth Ave that I wish I could've given a bagpiper to :(

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Sockser posted:

Target in ELiberty? That's a load off my mind, then. Took my friend back with me, felt up every remaining bag, felt exactly one programmer. Was afraid I'd have to break the news to you :(

She wanted a Jem but didn't want to feel more bags after finding my programmer so just grabbed one at random and ended up with a Jem by chance!

All the Space Marines and bagpipers were gone though. And there was a legit dude playing Bagpipes in that park on Fifth Ave that I wish I could've given a bagpiper to :(

You guys weren't the ones ragging on Settlers of Catan while waiting for me to finish feeling up the bags, were you?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Please dude, I love Settlers. Also you should play Settlers with the Pittsburgoons.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Sockser posted:

Please dude, I love Settlers. Also you should play Settlers with the Pittsburgoons.

OK, just checking ;) I actually don't care much for Settlers myself (that die roll :argh:)

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Sockser posted:

Care to make that an open invitation? :D

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Mr. Glass posted:

The only one that really looks tempting to me is Gandalf Arrives, and it's $12.

You're not the only one. And even though it should have been obvious, I was kind of let down when I saw the sets and they were Movie LotR sets, trying to look like the actors.

Also, I just hate pink minifig heads. I just hate them. :colbert:

e: just means more money for Monster Hunters

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Faerunner posted:

Care to make that an open invitation? :D

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2871911

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I was kind of let down when I saw the sets and they were Movie LotR sets, trying to look like the actors.

I don't really know what you expected out of a LotR license. I just wish the sets were a little less action-oriented - my wife is a huge LotR fan but these sets have basically no appeal to her (except, like I mentioned, the gandalf cart, and the shelob set if she didn't hate spiders).

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

If anyone's interested, I put together some build instructions for the upgraded version of the little star destroyer I posted a page or two back.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
Cute little ship, the only part I don't have in abundance is the 4x2 wings in light blueish grey. I need to order more from S&H because bricklink prices on that are crazy for something that is still in production.

I do like the LOTR sets but agree they are very action oriented. Instead of 2 army builder packs they could of made a nice little hobbit house instead. The friends line did so much right for not being action oriented. They could of at least tried harder for LOTR.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Cute little ship, the only part I don't have in abundance is the 4x2 wings in light blueish grey. I need to order more from S&H because bricklink prices on that are crazy for something that is still in production.

I do like the LOTR sets but agree they are very action oriented. Instead of 2 army builder packs they could of made a nice little hobbit house instead. The friends line did so much right for not being action oriented. They could of at least tried harder for LOTR.

oh man I would buy a LEGO Bag End in an instant :3:

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

I want to do one entirely in bright red but I'm not even sure some of those wedge pieces exist in that color. :saddowns:

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Torael_7 posted:

I want to do one entirely in bright red but I'm not even sure some of those wedge pieces exist in that color. :saddowns:

That's because you can only find enough paint affordable in star destroyer white ;)

The 6x3's come in dark red, but if you use the old style 8x4's with the notch those do come in red. the 4x2's and 3x2's come in red so it wouldn't be impossible.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

That's because you can only find enough paint affordable in star destroyer white ;)

The 6x3's come in dark red, but if you use the old style 8x4's with the notch those do come in red. the 4x2's and 3x2's come in red so it wouldn't be impossible.

Indeed.

Fortunately, Mon Calamari construction is not quite so color restrictive.

(Credit where credit due: I based it on this little guy that I found on a google search)

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Mr. Glass posted:

oh man I would buy a LEGO Bag End in an instant :3:

Which they'll probably eventually do when they make Hobbit sets.
They've got a new preview up on the lego site. I checked one day and it just had character bios. Now there's a better look at the Gandalf set. With a dev video.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Amoeba102 posted:

Which they'll probably eventually do when they make Hobbit sets.
They've got a new preview up on the lego site. I checked one day and it just had character bios. Now there's a better look at the Gandalf set. With a dev video.

Amazon has them all at regular price now. I just ordered a Gandolf set. Something to tide me over for now. Don't want to be spending to much to fast. :D

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I'm in Australia, nooooo!

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Adregan posted:

I just ordered a Gandolf set. Something to tide me over for now. Don't want to be spending to much to fast. :D

I have to stick to my lego budget and that means no new sets* until at least august

*unless its a really good deal! wait, thats how this problem started and blew 2 months of lego budget on May 4th. R2D2 was totally worth it.

Action Jesus
Jun 18, 2002

I've just recently caught up with all of this thread. It has helped reinvigorate my irresponsibly expensive hobby of Legos that I've had since I was just a kid. When I moved out of my folks house 8 or 9 years ago, I left all my legos there, a 5 gallon bucket's worth that eventually became the communal legos for my nieces and nephews (and when she gets old enough, my daughter) but I've slowly been building up a collection of my own.

Today I got a chance to go to the new Lego Store in Overland Park, KS (in the Oak Park Mall) and it was totally awesome. My wife and I built some minifigs with there 3 figures for 9.99 deal (I dunno if this was a good deal or not, and honestly the figures and accessories weren't THAT exciting, but it was a lot of fun nonetheless) and I got a big gulp cup of bulk legos.

Do they rotate out the bulk legos, or if I were to go back in a month, would it just be the same stuff?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The bulk bins get shuffled around pretty regularly, but I think there are always going to be plenty of big basic blocks.

Action Jesus
Jun 18, 2002

Gabriel Pope posted:

The bulk bins get shuffled around pretty regularly, but I think there are always going to be plenty of big basic blocks.

That's good enough for me. The one big cup I got today provided an amazing amount of different bricks to utilize. I also signed up and got my VIP Card :cool:

Also, for my (27th) birthday last week, my wife got me the X-Wing (9493) probably the largest kit I've had in almost 10 years. Got it built in just about an hour :smugdog:

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I might have missed it but Lego UK just announced the release of the Team GB Olympic minifigs for July 1st. They come with awesome medals :unsmith:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Lofty132 posted:

I might have missed it but Lego UK just announced the release of the Team GB Olympic minifigs for July 1st. They come with awesome medals :unsmith:

Link.

Already have a friend in the UK who promised to get me my usual double set. :)

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Pretty sure we determined those Olympics minifigs are fakes.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

That's some pretty impressive CG artwork if they're fake!

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Huh. There were posts in this very thread saying Lego didn't have the license for the 2012 Olympics. Those CG minifigs look much more convincing than the photoshopped pics of the packaging.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
It is a tad odd. The latest image is a lot more convincing, but the big issue is that those aren't Team GB outfits they're wearing.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Some licensing/toy sites are carrying the news today along with hires images so I think they've put out a press release. They're specifically 'Team GB' figures not 'Olympic' figures though.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Also note that the second one from the left has '1948' on his torso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Digital War posted:

It is a tad odd. The latest image is a lot more convincing, but the big issue is that those aren't Team GB outfits they're wearing.

Ville Valo posted:

Huh. There were posts in this very thread saying Lego didn't have the license for the 2012 Olympics. Those CG minifigs look much more convincing than the photoshopped pics of the packaging.

Explained. No where do they use the Olympic logo, title or outfit.