Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

JediTalentAgent posted:

Does anyone have a list of what the rootkit infected Sony CDs from about 7 years ago were? I only find incomplete lists on google and links to a sony site that no longer exists.

I did a search for "list of CDs with XCP" and got this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Compact_Discs_sold_with_Extended_Copy_Protection
and:
http://www.myce.com/news/Sony-officially-lists-52-XCP-infected-CDs--faces-a-loss-of-sales-11149/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Drimble Wedge posted:

Also see Nitwitz although I think Runts are more popular.

Edit: just do a search for "candy dispenser" i.e. http://www.amazon.com/Brookstone-CandyMan-Motion-Activated-Candy-Dispenser/dp/B003POD8O8 or seeing as you're in Oz http://tinyurl.com/84zv8yg

I have that, with Runts in it. Sometimes there is a banana jam.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I recently got into the idea of homemade electrolyte drinks for times of dehydration, hangover, etc.
I've found some places suggesting, at its most basic:
  • 1 L water
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
This is, in fact, the recipe given by the WHO for hydrating diarrhea patients.
Some other interesting ones have changed out half of the salt for salt substitute (KCl), and even adding 1/2 tsp baking soda (is HCO3 an important electrolyte?)

What I'm wondering is, how important is the amount of sugar? Is there some reason that sugar really needs to be in there (to help you take in the salt properly), or is the important thing just to have a little salt in water?
My guess is that the sugar is there (1) because diarrhea patients are also lacking in sugar/energy, and (2) for taste but I wanted to ask.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

JediTalentAgent posted:

Does anyone have a list of what the rootkit infected Sony CDs from about 7 years ago were? I only find incomplete lists on google and links to a sony site that no longer exists.

In addition to the ones slightbutsteady linked, there were other cds with similar copy protection:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Compact_Discs_sold_with_MediaMax_CD-3

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

alnilam posted:

I recently got into the idea of homemade electrolyte drinks for times of dehydration, hangover, etc.
I've found some places suggesting, at its most basic:
  • 1 L water
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
This is, in fact, the recipe given by the WHO for hydrating diarrhea patients.
Some other interesting ones have changed out half of the salt for salt substitute (KCl), and even adding 1/2 tsp baking soda (is HCO3 an important electrolyte?)

What I'm wondering is, how important is the amount of sugar? Is there some reason that sugar really needs to be in there (to help you take in the salt properly), or is the important thing just to have a little salt in water?
My guess is that the sugar is there (1) because diarrhea patients are also lacking in sugar/energy, and (2) for taste but I wanted to ask.

Bicarbonate is a very important electrolyte and is the main buffering system for the blood's pH!

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I really enjoyed the red letter media star wars and star trek reviews. Where can I find more videos that are similar? I could definitely do without the stupid sub-plots and the fake voice, but I haven't the slightest idea where to look. The closest I've found was the podcast how did this get made, but I want more. Any ideas?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Guy Axlerod posted:

They changed payroll providers at work, and my take-home pay went up by a few dollars. They started excluding my 401k contributions from FICA.

Should I say something, or should I just keep the money and my mouth shut?
401k contributions should always be pre tax (up to the max annual contribution.) If you were getting taxed your contributions previously they were doing it wrong and you might be able to get that retroactively fixed.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

randyest posted:

401k contributions should always be pre tax (up to the max annual contribution.) If you were getting taxed your contributions previously they were doing it wrong and you might be able to get that retroactively fixed.

401k contributions are not subject to federal income tax, but are subject to payroll tax (FICA, aka Social Security and Medicare).

IRS posted:

The amounts deferred under your 401(k) plan are reported on your Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. Although elective deferrals are not treated as current income for federal income tax purposes, they are included as wages subject to social security (FICA), Medicare, and federal unemployment taxes (FUTA). Refer to Publication 525, Taxable and Nontaxable Income, for more information about elective deferrals. Refer to the Form W-2 Instructions for more information on how amounts should be reported.
http://www.irs.gov/retirement/participant/article/0,,id=151753,00.html

That was my original thought when I saw the change in pay: Was I getting screwed before, or am I getting overpaid now? Turns out I'm overpaid.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Why would it matter? Would you tip more if you knew he was in debt up to his eyeballs and cutting hair himself to help keep the business afloat?

I'm loathe to open the floodgates to tipping arguments, but the reasoning here is that you aren't supposed to tip the owner of the establishment (at least in the classic restaurant/salon sense). In older times, as I understand, the theory was that it was insulting to put the owner on the same "level" as his or her staff.

In more modern terms (meaning in the last 50 or 60 years), we all understand that the tip is to make up for crappy wages. This isn't really an issue for the owner or at least it's not supposed to be. If the business is floundering that owner may want the extra cash, but the traditional motivation behind the need to tip isn't there.

Note: I don't really agree with this reasoning. A tip is simply part of the "cost of doing business," in my opinion. Finding out that the owner served you doesn't mean I just picked up a free coupon or something. I'd feel rude not tipping the owner. A quick google search confirms that almost everyone agrees you should tip the owner the same as you would any regular stylist.

TL;DR: Tipping culture traditionally changed when someone was the owner vs. an employee, and I assume that's what the poster was alluding to.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I make it a hobby to put on crazy conspiracy theories on the background when I clean around the house or something. My question comes from the one I have on right now, about economic blablabla and the gold standard.

My question is; why do [Libertarians? I'm not entirely sure how they identify themselves] talk about an 'intrinsic value' of gold? I was under the impression gold was kinda useless for practical applications (besides high-tech applications, but that can't be enough to support an entire complex economy). All of these documentaries seem to strike down paper money as just 'having value because people agree it has value' but isn't that the exact same thing as would be the case with gold? I see it so much that I'm not sure if I am missing something here. I hope this is actually a small question.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Maybe because there's a finite quantity of it in the world, as opposed to paper money?

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Namarrgon posted:

I make it a hobby to put on crazy conspiracy theories on the background when I clean around the house or something. My question comes from the one I have on right now, about economic blablabla and the gold standard.

My question is; why do [Libertarians? I'm not entirely sure how they identify themselves] talk about an 'intrinsic value' of gold? I was under the impression gold was kinda useless for practical applications (besides high-tech applications, but that can't be enough to support an entire complex economy). All of these documentaries seem to strike down paper money as just 'having value because people agree it has value' but isn't that the exact same thing as would be the case with gold? I see it so much that I'm not sure if I am missing something here. I hope this is actually a small question.

I'm not officially answering this question, because I am not pretending I know, but something I heard in a high school mythology class from the teacher explaining some Norse myth and wergild or somesuch: gold doesn't tarnish. This simple explanation for attraction always made me smile, because it seems when you get right down to the basics of these things we take as eternally valuable, some were just pretty. At least copper can do serious :science:

But, really, there must be more to it than that?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Let's see what they have to say for themselves.

http://www.mint.com/blog/investing/investing-in-gold/

quote:

Historically, the price of gold has remained stable compared to other investment vehicles that tend to fluctuate more drastically. And its value has held up even as worldwide currencies have fluctuated, due to more consistent prices and returns. For centuries, the overall appeal of this precious metal has been based on its varied usage, durability and beauty.

http://lewrockwell.com/berwick/berwick35.1.html

quote:

After all, we are talking about time tested and true money. The only money that has lasted for thousands of years and is still fully accepted worldwide as a store of wealth. Even Warren Buffet had to recently admit that “Meanwhile, if you own one ounce of gold for an eternity, you will still own one ounce at its end.”

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I get how it would work in practice, but paper money works fine in practice as well. My point is with these documentaries insisting that gold has some intrinsic value that paper money has not.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I seem to be suffering from that moment where you wonder what you were just about to do. I don't know if everyone experiences that, but it's that feeling of just having forgotten what you went into a room for. Is this normal and how often does it happen to people on a day to day basis?

Do those books I sometimes see about becoming a memory genius over night work, and would they help with this?

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

Crankit posted:

I seem to be suffering from that moment where you wonder what you were just about to do. I don't know if everyone experiences that, but it's that feeling of just having forgotten what you went into a room for. Is this normal and how often does it happen to people on a day to day basis?

Do those books I sometimes see about becoming a memory genius over night work, and would they help with this?

It's normal.

quote:

Ever Enter a Room & Forget Why You Went There? Blame The Doorway.

New research suggests the mere act of walking through a doorway helps people forget, which could explain many millions of confusing moments that happen each day around the world. A study published recently in The Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology found that participants who walked through doorways in a virtual reality environment were significantly more likely to forget memories formed in another room, compared with those who traveled the same distance but crossed no thresholds.

Notre Dame University researcher Gabriel Radvansky says doorways serve as a type of “event boundary” that the brain uses to separate and store memories. When you enter a new room, your brain updates its understanding of what’s going on in the new environment, which takes some mental effort. This parsing of memory, albeit subtle, leaves the information encoded in the other room (i.e. “Now I’m going to my room to fetch some knickers”) less available in your new location.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Namarrgon posted:

I get how it would work in practice, but paper money works fine in practice as well. My point is with these documentaries insisting that gold has some intrinsic value that paper money has not.

Basically they think everything was better when money was backed by gold (it actually wasn't of course).

Also, and this is most important, they usually want you to buy gold from them or someone they work for or are friends with. Likely they've already invested a lot of money in gold, so they have a financial interest in more people buying gold, to try to drive up the price.

And for what it's worth, any material that can serve a useful purpose has an "intrinsic value" based on that. But that intrinsic value is usually much less than the actual cost for the material is, especially for poo poo like gems and precious metals, with gold and diamonds being kind of the prime examples of over-valued.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Namarrgon posted:

http://geology.com/minerals/gold/uses-of-gold.shtml

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bioshuffle posted:

I really enjoyed the red letter media star wars and star trek reviews. Where can I find more videos that are similar? I could definitely do without the stupid sub-plots and the fake voice, but I haven't the slightest idea where to look. The closest I've found was the podcast how did this get made, but I want more. Any ideas?

It sounds like you're asking for a redlettermedia movie review, but without all the unique redlettermedia stuff that makes it so good. Maybe something like Confused Matthew would appeal to you; it's the same sort of "in-depth movie reviews by a disembodied voice" as RLM. (Just be warned: when this guy misses the point, he REALLY misses the point.)

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

onionradish posted:

It's normal.

Well, I don't just get it in the instance of my doorways, sometimes it happens when I stand from sitting and I don't remember why I stood up, or sometimes I grab my notebook or open a new browser window, and I realise I don't know why, I wanted to have some idea of how frequently normal people have this as I'm beginning to think I have a problem.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

That's a little bit funny, actually, as fully half of those uses just come down to "it's rare and/or pretty".

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Computer question: Is there a lightweight program I can get that will display my GPU and CPU temp in the corner while running an application? I've seen it before using RivaTuner which I tried but it seems to do a bunch of poo poo I don't need and is really complicated.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

onionradish posted:

It's normal.

To get some knickers? What a weird example to use.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Namarrgon posted:

I get how it would work in practice, but paper money works fine in practice as well.
Not always.

Namarrgon posted:

My point is with these documentaries insisting that gold has some intrinsic value that paper money has not.
It does.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Whenever I get a cold, I always feel like I have a blockage at the back of my nose, more inside my head than in the nose itself.

If I blow the affected nostril hard enough, eventually a lump of... something comes out. It feels rubbery, so it's not just mucus and it is streaked with blood. However, it relieves the feeling of a blockage.

Just had it happen now, so I'm curious as to what the hell I'm blowing out?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
What's the name of the song or music piece that is impossible to play? I remember they have people playing it on Youtube and it sounds like poo poo.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008
Can someone unburden my ailing brain of this question:

Was there an explorer in the Americas who described the Natives as marveling when man dismounted his horse, like they were watching a strange creature split itself in two?

It is seriously driving me crazy--I don't know if it is some misguided first-hand description I am thinking of, or a secondary source quoting the misguided description. I am reading through some of the likely places I first heard this with no luck so far, and there has to be a history goon around here somewhere.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Namarrgon posted:

Well, for one thing, it has market value. In the past that has relied solely upon its aesthetic qualities but now it has use in electronics. The material paper money is printed on has little more market value than toilet paper. You can sell an ounce of gold, no matter what is written on it, for a certain amount of money, but that paper only has value more than a few cents because of what's written on it. And the bytes stored in electronic vaults are themselves worth even less than that paper.

The general issue is that you can't easily inflate the gold supply, but a government can very easily inflate the money supply.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Liebfraumilch posted:

Can someone unburden my ailing brain of this question:

Was there an explorer in the Americas who described the Natives as marveling when man dismounted his horse, like they were watching a strange creature split itself in two?

It is seriously driving me crazy--I don't know if it is some misguided first-hand description I am thinking of, or a secondary source quoting the misguided description. I am reading through some of the likely places I first heard this with no luck so far, and there has to be a history goon around here somewhere.

Pretty sure that was Pizarro and the Incas. I remember a brief mention in Guns Germs and Steel of such superstitions.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

b0nes posted:

What's the name of the song or music piece that is impossible to play? I remember they have people playing it on Youtube and it sounds like poo poo.

The most famous one I can think of is The Faerie's Aire and Death Waltz (though several of the Youtube videos that claims to be playing it are actually playing a song from some Touhou game.) Is this what you're thinking of?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Golbez posted:

Well, for one thing, it has market value. In the past that has relied solely upon its aesthetic qualities but now it has use in electronics. The material paper money is printed on has little more market value than toilet paper. You can sell an ounce of gold, no matter what is written on it, for a certain amount of money, but that paper only has value more than a few cents because of what's written on it. And the bytes stored in electronic vaults are themselves worth even less than that paper.

Again, the value of gold in electronics is nowhere near $1500 a troy ounce.

Also the very fact that it gets used in electronics is why using it as money again would be a terrible idea.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

User-Friendly posted:

Pretty sure that was Pizarro and the Incas. I remember a brief mention in Guns Germs and Steel of such superstitions.

Ohhhhh thank you! This is looking right. It is too late to save my bookshelves, which are in shambles at this point, but thank you!

Edit: Could not find a direct quote for what I was remembering. Must have been a professor passing it along. But this--stuff from and on Jared Diamond--is so close I can at least sleep tonight.

Liebfraumilch fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 18, 2012

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Nighthand posted:

The most famous one I can think of is The Faerie's Aire and Death Waltz (though several of the Youtube videos that claims to be playing it are actually playing a song from some Touhou game.) Is this what you're thinking of?

Yes this is it thanks!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
My washer is ruining my life shirts.

Specifically my colored t-shirts. Often when I pull a shirt out of the dryer I find areas that look grease-stained - they're about 5 shades darker than the rest of the shirt. But they're not grease spots, because they were pretty clean when they went in the wash. If I wash the shirt again chances are the spots will disappear...and appear somewhere else on the shirt. Or not, it's pretty random. It doesn't happen every time but it happens often enough to just really ruin my poo poo in the mornings when I'm getting ready for work. This morning I changed shirts twice because the first two were wrecked.

How I do the wash:
Start washer so it's filling with water. Put in detergent - I use a little less than is recommended on the assumption that it's the soap that's causing this (plus my stuff's fairly clean to begin with). Put unimportant clothes on bottom (socks, undies, etc) so they've got the most exposure to the un-dilluted soap, then stuff I care about towards the top. Then I let them wash. THAT'S IT.

I've changed detergents over the years, so it's not that. I've had this problem across multiple homes/washers so I can't blame the machine - it's something I'm doing wrong and I can't figure it out. It's not something I ever hear others complaining about but it happens to me loving constantly. Any ideas?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Do you use dryer sheets? Those can leave streaks sometimes.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
No dryer sheets. I should've also mentioned this has happened across several brands of detergent, so it's not that, either. It's just something I do that's loving it all up.

Edit: I should've googled this first because holy poo poo, there's an entire universe of people with the same mystery stains. Only problem is, the only thing we all have in common is loving nothing. Top-loaders, side-loaders, cold water, hot water, liquid detergent or tablets - there's no rhyme or reason to it, it can happen to anyone. Only advice seems to be "stain stick and wash again."

jackpot fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 18, 2012

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

jackpot posted:

No dryer sheets. I should've also mentioned this has happened across several brands of detergent, so it's not that, either. It's just something I do that's loving it all up.

It's the washer and it's not that uncommon. There are a couple things in there that will leave an oil spot when they are old and falling apart. One of them is if it has one of those fabric softener dispensers. The other would be a seal on the main driving gear.

I'm not sure what to do about it though; when it happened at work we just replaced it.

edit: try googling "oil spot" instead.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 18, 2012

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Crankit posted:

Well, I don't just get it in the instance of my doorways, sometimes it happens when I stand from sitting and I don't remember why I stood up, or sometimes I grab my notebook or open a new browser window, and I realise I don't know why, I wanted to have some idea of how frequently normal people have this as I'm beginning to think I have a problem.

I get this all the time too, like many multiple times a day. My therapist says it's not actually normal for people in their 20's to have it all the time and may be part of a general overall pattern of "attention regulation issues." :sweatdrop: I get around it by repeating whatever it is that I need to do in my head until I do it. If I'm going to the closet to get more toilet paper, I mentally say "toilet paper toilet paper toilet paper" until I get there. That helps. Usually.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Very Strange Things posted:

It's the washer and it's not that uncommon. There are a couple things in there that will leave an oil spot when they are old and falling apart. One of them is if it has one of those fabric softener dispensers. The other would be a seal on the main driving gear.
Yeah, ours has the softener dispenser, and even though we don't use it it might have a bunch of crud built up - I'll clean that out and see if it helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I get this all the time too, like many multiple times a day. My therapist says it's not actually normal for people in their 20's to have it all the time and may be part of a general overall pattern of "attention regulation issues." :sweatdrop: I get around it by repeating whatever it is that I need to do in my head until I do it. If I'm going to the closet to get more toilet paper, I mentally say "toilet paper toilet paper toilet paper" until I get there. That helps. Usually.

Thanks, I'm in my late 20s I will try this method, assuming I don't forget it before I go to remember something.