Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

el_brio posted:

As Freud said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar". I'm not saying that you are completely off base... I just think your degree of faith in the GRRM is misguided.

Did GRRM plan to have a mechanic like one you are trying to explain?
Probably.

Did he completely gently caress up the execution and/or forget about it by the second book?
Definitely.

It's a lame cliched plot device anyway.

Give me some examples of where this lame cliche started, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Ned: Always be honorable and protect those sworn to you. There must always be a Stark in Winterfell.
Bran: Nah, I'm gonna leave the known world because I want to be a superhero.

Stark Values

And now he's Mogo*. HOW'D YOU LIKE THAT, BRAN?

*Except Mogo is awesome and Bran is... not. At least he has Hodor.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Seldom Posts posted:

And Animal Farm is about Farm Animals.

No point in continuing, since I really don't think you are willing or able to get it.

Book talk. :allears:

Also, the bear and the maiden fair better be Irish drinking song as gently caress.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Mogo's a secret Dothraaki. Just look at his name!

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Turns out ASoIaF takes place on Mogo's surface. The long summers and winters are just him loving with people.

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012
Ok. I give up. The Stark children have some sort of mystical relationship with their direwolves where:

1. If their wolf dies, so do they (unless they are Sansa)
2. If they die, then their wolf dies (unless you are John)
3. If they stray from "Stark values" they, and their wolves die (unless you are John, Arya, Bran or Rikon)

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

el_brio posted:

Ok. I give up. The Stark children have some sort of mystical relationship with their direwolves where:

1. If their wolf dies, so do they (unless they are Sansa)
2. If they die, then their wolf dies (unless you are John)
3. If they stray from "Stark values" they, and their wolves die (unless you are John, Arya, Bran or Rikon)

This is one of the few remaining un-ruined things about the books that made me love them in the first place. When I first started thinking the kids were magic people who "just happened" to find magical wolf friends and the wolves would protect them and be by their side constantly and to be honest I almost stopped reading after Jon found an albino runt that's an OUTCAST JUST LIKE HIM.

And then it turned out that there's no rules, they're just pet wolves. Sometimes they get killed, sometimes they're not around, sometimes they come back, sometimes they don't... I love that they aren't really special.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I feel the same way.

Speaking of the wolves, did Ned make Sansa bury Lady after he slit her throat? He did say that the kids would bury their wolves themselves if they died, after all.

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

What are they complaining about today? Fucking shithole of a city. Whining bastards, bitching about the trash or the crime or this or that.

Urdnot Fire posted:

Speaking of the wolves, did Ned make Sansa bury Lady after he slit her throat?

That'd be kind of a dick move, don't you think?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Waffle Ho posted:

That'd be kind of a dick move, don't you think?
Well yeah, but so was killing the wolf in the first place. And this is honor-bound Ned we're talking about anyways.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Pretty sure he sent her body to the North for whatever reason. Probably because Cersei would use her as a rug in the Throne Room.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Lady would make a pretty nice hat.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Imagine Walder and Cersei discussing their wolf wear. Cersei is Cruella and Walder is Mr. Burns.

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

What are they complaining about today? Fucking shithole of a city. Whining bastards, bitching about the trash or the crime or this or that.

Urdnot Fire posted:

Imagine Walder and Cersei discussing their wolf wear. Cersei is Cruella and Walder is Mr. Burns.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Lady would make a pretty nice hat.

So would Sansa. ~*~parallels~*~

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

The Unnamed One posted:

Pretty sure he sent her body to the North for whatever reason. Probably because Cersei would use her as a rug in the Throne Room.

Yeah, he sent her body back to Winterfell to be buried there, and Sansa stayed in King's Landing with him, so no, Sansa did not have to bury her wolf.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Somethimg I can't remember, what happened to the stormlands once Stannis went norh? Were they annexed? Or did Stannis leave a big enough detachment to defend the south?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think it was covered extensively but I think Stannis took everything he had left to the north save for a token force at Dragonstone that gave Loras a bath.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Welp Bad Thread, my friend amd I were at a party and people started show talk and y this point we were pretty far gone so we make sure everyone knows the GRRM is an absolute fucker. They take this in stride so my buddy spoils the Red Wedding, cueing an escape that takes us about a mile away to taco bell where we find a cab to take us home. The worst of it is we had to leave a bottle of whiskey behind! Hopefully I can reclaim it in the morning and get bread and salt the next time I visit that house...

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Get your friend in here, since they are clearly more of a Wildard than ou.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Stannis didn't have the forces to defend the Stormlands against the Lannisters and Tyrells, so he didn't try.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.

crazypeltast52 posted:

Welp Bad Thread, my friend amd I were at a party and people started show talk and y this point we were pretty far gone so we make sure everyone knows the GRRM is an absolute fucker. They take this in stride so my buddy spoils the Red Wedding, cueing an escape that takes us about a mile away to taco bell where we find a cab to take us home. The worst of it is we had to leave a bottle of whiskey behind! Hopefully I can reclaim it in the morning and get bread and salt the next time I visit that house...

Nooooo. Don't go back it seems like a bad idea.

And the wolves are decently executed plot points, gently caress ya'll. I like that fact they aren't magic protector/escape hatches. At best they're a really awesome bullshit detector, as worst you're Sansa. Because Sansa is the loving worst.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
Sansa is the best Stark now that Robb is dead, though judgement on Rickon is pending.

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012

Sophia posted:

Sansa is the best Stark now that Robb is dead, though judgement on Rickon is pending.

In the end, Sansa seems to have been the smartest Stark. She was the only one with enough sense to keep her mouth shut and go with the flow of events. She is also in the best position to survive the coming winter (despite Littlefinger creeping on her). Even the whole Littlefinger thing isn't that bad. So he wants her to be his sock-puppet? She would have been married off to some other creep by now anyway that probably would have done a lot worse than smooch her whilst making snow-castles. She could do a lot worse than spending her remaining days as Littlefinger's wife tucked ssafely away in the vale with servants waiting on her.

Ohhh, to whoever said that she would make a nice hat, that was pretty tasteless. I think hockey-mask would be the preferred form of Sansa head-gear.

el_brio fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 26, 2012

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
It doesn't have to be head-gear. She could be made into mittens too or a cloak for that matter.

Bolton style.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

el_brio posted:

In the end, Sansa seems to have been the smartest Stark. She was the only one with enough sense to keep her mouth shut and go with the flow of events. She is also in the best position to survive the coming winter (despite Littlefinger creeping on her). Even the whole Littlefinger thing isn't that bad. So he wants her to be his sock-puppet? She would have been married off to some other creep by now anyway that probably would have done a lot worse than smooch her whilst making snow-castles. She could do a lot worse than spending her remaining days as Littlefinger's wife tucked ssafely away in the vale with servants waiting on her.

Sansa is a selfish moron. You would've made an excellent official in the government of Vichy France.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Sansa is a selfish moron. You would've made an excellent official in the government of Vichy France.
How is being selfish moron worse than being selfless moron? Sansa is the first, Ned and Robb the latter. The Starks in general are morons, but a moron who knows how to stay alive is smarter than the one who doesn't.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Rurik posted:

How is being selfish moron worse than being selfless moron? Sansa is the first, Ned and Robb the latter. The Starks in general are morons, but a moron who knows how to stay alive is smarter than the one who doesn't.

The problem is that she's in a position to do an amazing amount of good while still staying alive, but does nothing. She's also somehow still unbelievably (literally, I don't believe it, it's bad character work) more concerned with who she's going to marry than the world falling apart around her.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

The problem is that she's in a position to do an amazing amount of good while still staying alive, but does nothing. She's also somehow still unbelievably (literally, I don't believe it, it's bad character work) more concerned with who she's going to marry than the world falling apart around her.

How exactly is she supposed to know how to do to do good in the world? She doesn't have the privilege that we do of bouncing around from POV to POV to see what's going on in the rest of the world, much less to know what is true about what she hears about the rest of the world from various shady sources. And she has literally no power, nor any desire for it. Sure, if we were able to move the pieces around like a god, she would be in a great position, but she's just her.

Plus, when your life is controlled by your marriage and husband like a noble girl's, who you're going to marry is pretty important.

Sansa is the best Stark because she understands the hard side of life better than any of the rest of them and has survived. She's not special, or magical, and she doesn't have anything or anyone to protect her, but she's still alive.

Sophia fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 26, 2012

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Sophia posted:

How exactly is she supposed to know how to do to do good in the world? She doesn't have the privilege that we do of bouncing around from POV to POV to see what's going on in the rest of the world, much less to know what is true about what she hears about the rest of the world from various shady sources. And she has literally no power, nor any desire for it. Sure, if we were able to move the pieces around like a god, she would be in a great position, but she's just her.

Plus, when your life is controlled by your marriage and husband like a noble girl's, who you're going to marry is pretty important.

Sansa is the best alive Stark because she understands the hard side of life better than any of the rest of them. She's not special, but she's still alive.

I know it's the bad thread and everyone is internet-tough but seriously, "collaboration is dandy" is the consensus this morning?

She knows some of the players, and feeding information to the right people could be pretty useful to the people trying to take down the regime that killed her family. The point is she's not even trying. A rat "knows how to stay alive", that doesn't make it a compelling character in a novel.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...

I don't agree with this being the reason Sansa sucks. She kinda has her hands tied with the whole kidnapped by the rapey-guy thing.

Sophia posted:

Sansa is the best Stark because she understands the hard side of life better than any of the rest of them and has survived. She's not special, or magical, and she doesn't have anything or anyone to protect her, but she's still alive.

Sansa is awful because she got her father killed. And the butcher boy. And that singer. She's a self-preserving sycophant, which is fine and an awesome survival mechanism, but c'mon one Stark is becoming a tree-elf psychic, another one is somewhere off in the woods loving around with an old-rear end wilding lady, and one is a face-changing assassin. One got stabbed.

Sansa sucks and her chapters are boring. :colbert:

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

MonsterWalk posted:

I don't agree with this being the reason Sansa sucks. She kinda has her hands tied with the whole kidnapped by the rapey-guy thing.

Sansa is awful because she got her father killed. And the butcher boy. And that singer. She's a self-preserving sycophant, which is fine and an awesome survival mechanism, but c'mon one Stark is becoming a tree-elf psychic, another one is somewhere off in the woods loving around with an old-rear end wilding lady, and one is a face-changing assassin. One got stabbed.

Sansa sucks and her chapters are boring. :colbert:

I don't really think Sansa is really to blame for getting Ned killed. All she was trying to do was secure her a pardon, and then Joffrey betrayed her because he was a psychopathic little poo poo. It wasn't her fault at all. This is the thing that she has attempted to change, and the one bit of good that she has attempted to do, and it got her father killed. At that point I can't really blame her for not doing a lot else.

She did sort of gently caress over the butcher boy, though. I also hated Sansa in the first book, but she did grow on me. That might also be because she becomes a POV to watch Littlefinger be Littlefinger, and Littlefinger is awesome, if also somewhat rapey.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
I shouldn't say her chapters are boring, she's a neat observer and is witness to some cool events. I just get bored whenever she not watching someone get poisoned.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

Scuzzywuffit posted:

Littlefinger is awesome, if also somewhat rapey.

But has Littlefinger actually RAPED someone yet? Yeah, he kissed Sansa in the courtyard, but i don't think that counts

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012

Smashurbanipal posted:

But has Littlefinger actually RAPED someone yet? Yeah, he kissed Sansa in the courtyard, but i don't think that counts

Sansa will fall in love with him and live happily ever after. The rest of Westeros starves during the upcoming winter. Everyone wins.

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

Smashurbanipal posted:

He starts amping up the daddy kink thing at the end of AFFC because Sansa is getting accustomed to him and he can now get away with it. Forcible rape isn't his style, especially since he thinks he can get her to love him back ("hey baby, I'll totally get Winterfell back for you").

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

whowhatwhere posted:

Get your friend in here, since they are clearly more of a Wildard than ou.

howdy

counterpoint: she is 12

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 26, 2012

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
"Come, give daddy a kiss."

*Sansa kisses his cheek*

"How ... dutiful. You should be more excited to see your dad again, though."

*pulls her into his lap, kisses her on the lips*

"Try to do better next time."

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Sansa sucks because she's a teenage girl. Teenage girls are notoriously annoying, and a large portion of what comes out of their mouths is stupid and thoughtless. With Sansa it's even worse, because half of the time we have to be inside her head, so even when she isn't saying something stupid, we're hearing her thoughts, so we know the stupid poo poo she she's thinking, too.

She has the potential to get older and stop being stupid and annoying, like many/most teenage girls. However, given how terrible GRRM is at making his female characters not be stupid or horrendous bitches, I don't hold out much hope for her. (Arya being one of the few exceptions.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sophia posted:

She has literally always had someone protecting her, for various reasons. She has never had any agency.

She is a boring character.