Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

On closer inspection, my free Hulk minifig is a bit messed up. His bared teeth RAGE face (the good one) is missing big chunks of the white teeth. The black outline is all intact, but the white teeth have a section missing on the bottom and two missing on the top.

Is it worth contacting Lego about this and asking for a replacement, or am I just SOL?

No harm in trying. They're good with that sort of thing. But it might be difficult since it's a promotional item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Some really nice sets on clearance at Kmart http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/747...fo-abduction-11

Alien mothership for $22!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ChesterJT posted:

Some really nice sets on clearance at Kmart http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/747...fo-abduction-11

Local pickup only, I guess. Though my local one does have a few of those, and 2/3 off the price is certainly nothing to sneeze at...

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

ChesterJT posted:

That's awesome, but KMart is so poo poo. I saw the sale and raced over to the store down the road, and held in my hand some sets in the sale that aren't listed online as being at that store, and they told me it's an online only discount.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Saint Sputnik posted:

That's awesome, but KMart is so poo poo. I saw the sale and raced over to the store down the road, and held in my hand some sets in the sale that aren't listed online as being at that store, and they told me it's an online only discount.
Same experience here. I filled a cart full of sets they had on the shelf that the site said were out of stock. They wouldn't let me buy them even when I showed them you could not add any of it to your cart due to the lovely "Gofer" website they use. They did do one in-store price change for the Skull Truck, but the rest I have to come back tomorrow to get.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

I am getting way too much enjoyment out of LotR Weathertop. It's just so fun posing the mini-figs into various vignettes of that scene. And hooray for fire pieces being some of gratuitous pieces included with the set. Right now Aragon is fighting off the Ring Wraiths and one of them is fleeing covered in flames.

I have two small nitpicks with this set. What's up with the addition of flick-action missiles embedded in the wall of the lower level? And second, the Ring Wraith hood has a tendency to pop off if you move an arm up too high, as it pushes against the cape which in turn pushes against the hood.

But beyond that, fantastic set. Gandalf Arrives is pretty darn great as well.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
They actually added flick missiles?!

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!
I'm getting really tired of flick missiles. Almost every set I've bought recently has them, and since I really only build for display, I have no need for them. I think they look stupid and ugly, and take away from the set itself.

I'm glad that the SHIELD truck from Loki's Cosmic Cube set has flick missiles that are easily removed and that it doesn't change the truck itself. If they did that with every set, I think I would be OK with it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

youareoffthehook posted:

I'm getting really tired of flick missiles. Almost every set I've bought recently has them, and since I really only build for display, I have no need for them. I think they look stupid and ugly, and take away from the set itself.

I'm glad that the SHIELD truck from Loki's Cosmic Cube set has flick missiles that are easily removed and that it doesn't change the truck itself. If they did that with every set, I think I would be OK with it.

Unless they add to the design, I always remove them. The interior of the latest Slave 1 was taken up by some ridiculous firing mechanism for flick missiles. I removed it and had plenty of room for a proper boarding ramp and prisoner/passenger areas.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

youareoffthehook posted:

I feel 100 percent the same.

I mentioned it before, but Magnetos Chopper does a great job of actually incorporating them so they look good and not lovely.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.

Saint Sputnik posted:

Just placed an order for 9 sets, let's see how many I'll actually get when I pick them up tomorrow. Of course, out of 7 K-marts in the area, everyone except the furthermost one lists themselves as being out of stock. Now I have to drive like eight times as far to go get them (but gently caress is this a good saving).

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

I mentioned it before, but Magnetos Chopper does a great job of actually incorporating them so they look good and not lovely.

On the other hand, if you just remove them they are a good source of little parts.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

With a helicopter, I can see it being more aesthetically pleasing because real helicopters have stuff that looks like them. But on a set like Weathertop? Totally unnecessary.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

youareoffthehook posted:

But keep in mind that LEGO sets are primarily made for children, and that the flick-fire missiles are incredibly popular with kids during playtesting meetings/focus groups. I definitely agree with you that they are annoying and pretty gimmicky, but that's the nature of toys.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

It just doesn't make that much sense in a set like this. There's a lot of playability to Weathertop already with the mini-figs included and all the swords, torches, horses, etc. Why would kids need to inexplicably flick projectiles from the wall? What would the hobbits be shooting?

But, as some have said, this is one of those sets where they are at least well hidden and pretty much completely unnoticeable when the set is clasped together.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

youareoffthehook posted:

If you don't want'em, send'em to me. I think I have like 3 of them, and they're pretty neat and useful as spare parts.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Flick missile batteries on Earth Defence HQ are awesome. Then again everything about Earth Defence HQ is awesome. Aesthetics, design, details, playability, general bad asserry etc etc

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

InsanityRocks posted:

Got no pm, pop an email down for me and I'll tell you what I have

edit: email removed

beato fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 28, 2012

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I like the big spring-loaded missiles, like the one at the front of the Lunar Limo. Obviously in the toy missile hierarchy, spring-loaded trumps flick, every time.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Went to a local toy store today and found a box of series 7 minifigs. Picked up four. Three wins (two Programmers, one Space marine) and one dud (Little Red Riding Hood, mistook her basket for a bagpipe). Felt through every bag left in the box, a little surprised I didn't find more Space marines since they're supposed to be fairly common.

Gonna give one of the programmer minifigs to a friend for his birthday. :3:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Stuck in a hotel on business. Bored and with a few hours to kill, so I head to Argos and buy the creator Log Cabin. :3:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Gravy Jones posted:

Flick missile batteries on Earth Defence HQ are awesome. Then again everything about Earth Defence HQ is awesome. Aesthetics, design, details, playability, general bad asserry etc etc

This is so true. It's one of my favourite sets because it just feels so heavy and unique. It's like something out of Captain Scarlet, I love it.

I wish Alien Conquest had gotten another wave, to see what else could've been designed around the ADU, but I'm happy with what we got.

In other news I can't find the Dino sets anywhere except for Toys R Us these days, and even then my local one only stocks the bigger sets - did they just do really badly, or?

Also, when the Monster Hunter sets out in the UK?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Stuck in a hotel on business. Bored and with a few hours to kill, so I head to Argos and buy the creator Log Cabin. :3:

I was a little disappointed with the log cabin, honestly. Wish I had gotten the apple tree or hillside house instead.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

PriorMarcus posted:

In other news I can't find the Dino sets anywhere except for Toys R Us these days, and even then my local one only stocks the bigger sets - did they just do really badly, or?

I'm thinking it just didn't do very well. I haven't even heard about a second wave. In LEGO stores I always see it in the back part of the store along with other themes that are on their way out.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Don't know if anyone saw yet but Mines of Moria is down to $68.69 on Amazon right now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007Q...ASIN=B007Q0OUP8

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mr. Glass posted:

I was a little disappointed with the log cabin, honestly. Wish I had gotten the apple tree or hillside house instead.

Yeah, it's not great, and it's surprisingly small, but it was cheap. :P

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

PriorMarcus posted:

This is so true. It's one of my favourite sets because it just feels so heavy and unique. It's like something out of Captain Scarlet, I love it.

I don't think it'd s coincidence that it was designed by a brit (and specifically a brit who grew up in the seventies). While the Alien Conquest line in general is a homage to 50s flying saucer stuff, this vehicle has it's roots solidly in 70s British Science Fiction. I was thinking 2000AD/Eagle etc, but absolutely, throw some Gerry Anderson in there. It's all very TV21.

Even if I didn't grow up on this stuff, I can't think of any metric that I'd use to rate Lego that it wouldn't get full marks in. It was a pleasure to build (including loads of "oh snap" moments as I realised how things were taking shape) and exceptionally playable.

The only downside I can think of is that it really needs 3 or 4 more minifigs to hit it's full potential. Fortunately AC battlpacks are currently half price.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Stopped off at a K-mart on the commute home. The sets weren't on sale, and I didn't feel like arguing about it to get the discount. However, they had series 7, and it was great.

My haul:
3 Space Marines (I know his name is Luiz, but I can't not read Lulz everytime I see it.)
2 Aztec Warriors (haven't been able to find before and now I want a whole jungle line)
2 Programmers (holy poo poo the laptop is detailed)
3 Black Knights (why is the entire torso jet black? That's kind of lame)
1 Viking warrior woman (She is rad, and cool helm/hair combo piece)
1 Tarzan (whoops)

Pretty happy about that. Just want 3 more marines to have a total of 7 for a squad, and all the Aztecs I can get.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It's Luiz brand armour, named after Luiz Guzman. :colbert:

I now have a plan to combine the log cabin with the Dino pterodactyl tower when i get home.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

I can't see the hairstyle, but I swear this minifig must have been created with breaking bad mocs in mind.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

Gravy Jones posted:

I can't see the hairstyle, but I swear this minifig must have been created with breaking bad mocs in mind.

I totally need this figure, because I would love do a Breaking Bad moc to add to the town I'm trying to build!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Gravy Jones posted:

The only downside I can think of is that it really needs 3 or 4 more minifigs to hit it's full potential. Fortunately AC battlpacks are currently half price.

That, and it needed some connectors in the upper part of the joint between the front and rear halves of the vehicle. It's all at the bottom and it can't support the front if it's lifted.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Stopped off at a K-mart on the commute home. The sets weren't on sale, and I didn't feel like arguing about it to get the discount. However, they had series 7, and it was great.
You should have. Oh boy, you should have.

I went to the two K-Marts relatively near me. I spent five hours total including driving time, attempting to explain why I couldn't order them online, and waiting for them to get off the phone with corporate before both stores understood and accepted the sale prices. Frustrating but worth it, and I could just sit and listen to Bombcasts as I waited for responses/them individually ringing up the sets.

Pics to follow. I literally cackled like a mad scientist as I drove away from the second one.

Edit: total spent: $550. Total savings: $850. Including online purchases, that's $650 spent, and about $1000 saved.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 28, 2012

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Welp, I was just looking at some of the detail pics of the Monster Hunters line and I can safely say that my LEGO budget just increased dramatically.

InsanityRocks
Oct 28, 2006
I'm a rocker . . I'm a roller too baby!
For the goons interested in the sun Lego from last year I've done a quick inventory of what I managed to get my hands on, they are as follows

hands on a fair few tho

3 x 30111 Harry potter and table
6 x 30110 Harry potter and chest
7 x 30121 Grem (cars)
2 x 30053 republic attack cruiser
3 x 30024 creator truck
3 x 30141 alien conquest rocket dude
7 x 30082 ninjago training

Also have some non sun Lego but you lovely people might be interested

1 x 3365 city space buggy
1 x 7235 police bike
2 x 3177 city smart car
4 x 7305 pharaohs quest guy with giant bug
2 x 5865 creator dump truck

If you want any let me know

Ira Glass Jaw
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Benway posted:

Welp, I was just looking at some of the detail pics of the Monster Hunters line and I can safely say that my LEGO budget just increased dramatically.
My girlfriend surprised me yesterday with the werewolf set, I pretty much need to get every other set in this line now.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

I just picked up the Vampyre's Hearse and its safe to say this set loving owns. All the minifigs it comes with look great and the car itself is a beast. There were a couple details I thought looked unfinished like some bare studs on the back but a dip into my collection quickly fixed that. I've also got to second whoever compared it to Brick Daddy's space limo, these two sets would look great together.

Brick Daddy and Lord Vampyre apparently have similar design ideas. They both glow in the dark too, a must for bad asses in the Lego universe.

Debunk This! fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 28, 2012

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb8fWUUXeKM

And two dart bandolier/N-Strike Nerf clips on clearance for 4 bucks each(just in time for a party!), as well as a Lex Luthor Robot set because you know what? I want Lex Luthor and Superman minifigs.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 28, 2012

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

InsanityRocks posted:

For the goons interested in the sun Lego from last year I've done a quick inventory of what I managed to get my hands on, they are as follows

hands on a fair few tho

3 x 30111 Harry potter and table
6 x 30110 Harry potter and chest
7 x 30121 Grem (cars)
2 x 30053 republic attack cruiser
3 x 30024 creator truck
3 x 30141 alien conquest rocket dude
7 x 30082 ninjago training

Also have some non sun Lego but you lovely people might be interested

1 x 3365 city space buggy
1 x 7235 police bike
2 x 3177 city smart car
4 x 7305 pharaohs quest guy with giant bug
2 x 5865 creator dump truck

If you want any let me know

Could I get 1 of each? I'll pay shipping to the US. My email is my username at gmail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb8fWUUXeKM

And two dart bandolier/N-Strike Nerf clips on clearance for 4 bucks each(just in time for a party!), as well as a Lex Luthor Robot set because you know what? I want Lex Luthor and Superman minifigs.

What are you doing with all the Draidas?