Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

quote:

who seems to have forgotten that part of the thrill of being a comic book/film/sci-fi fan is about getting as many details as possible in advance. “It just spoils the film,” he complains.

I'm a comic book/film/sci-fi fan and this isn't part of the thrill for me at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

MorgaineDax posted:

So has anyone posted this yet?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/9285164/How-Simon-Pegg-became-a-big-fish.html

An interview with Simon Pegg where he says that Cumberbatch is not playing Khan.

Oh cool, so the pages and pages of arguments about a British guy playing the role of an Indian dude formerly played by a hispanic guy were all completely pointless.

Good to know.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Bob Quixote posted:

Oh cool, so the pages and pages of arguments about a British guy playing the role of an Indian dude formerly played by a hispanic guy were all completely pointless.

Good to know.

Hahaha that is possibly the funniest ending to this debacle.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like the "not just another disgruntled alien" comment. It'll be interesting to see which direction they go.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Bob Quixote posted:

Good to know.

According to the Englishman who plays a Scot formerly played by a Canadian

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

I like the "not just another disgruntled alien" comment. It'll be interesting to see which direction they go.

I'm just hoping its not "disgruntled human supremacist seeks to disband federation" since thats just another version of disgruntled alien but I'm confident they'll tell a fun story with this film.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
"I think people just want to have a scoop. It annoys me – it's beyond the point to just ferret around for spoilers all the time to try to be the first to break them. It just spoils the film. It masquerades as interest in the movie but really it's just nosiness and impatience. You just want to say, 'Oh gently caress off! Wait for the film!'"

Yep, Simon Pegg owns.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, that's a pretty dope quote.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Here's hoping it's the underdeveloped villain Harcourt Fenton Mudd.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I'm hoping if it's a reused TOS villian, it's Gary Mitchell.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
With the grey/silver shirt, it can only be Finnegan!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Good to know they aren't rehashing and whitewashing Kahn after all. I wonder if this movie will be as villain-focused?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
gently caress it, just make him Q.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

If Q ever shows up again, it has to be Gary Oldman.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Why the hell did we all think it was Khan in the first place?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I think some allegedly reliable sources for websites said that that's who he was playing.

EDIT: LatinoReview may have been one of the sites that started it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I hope he's playing the salt vampire. I love the salt vampire.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Benedict Cumberbatch IS Nomad IN Star Trek 2: Computers Will Never Handle Logical Fallacies Very Well.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Someone Who's Not Khan has been played by actors who are Not White, so it's totally unfair to hand that role to a white actor. :colbert:

maybe he'll be a tribble

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Obviously this is Hitler Khan, Khan's older half-brother who was on the OTHER Botany Bay.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

7thBatallion posted:

Here's hoping it's the underdeveloped villain Harcourt Fenton Mudd.

Oh God.

Okay, I don't want Mudd to be the main villain for a movie because that... no, but I would like a modern day take on him. Less cartoonish but still hilarious.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I hope he plays evil goatee Spock.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

He isn't playing Khan Noonien Singh, he's playing Ken Nooners Singer, a genetically engineered european warlord with a love for Tuscan fabric seats in his cars.

edit: also polka and other white things

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

penismightier posted:

I hope he's playing the salt vampire. I love the salt vampire.

That thing was terrifying. Poor McCoy :smith:

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
He's playing V-ger.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Role Play McMurphy posted:

He's playing V-ger.

Orrrrr, along these same lines, he's playing that thing that the Enterprise D gave birth to in "Emergence"

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Mahoning posted:

Orrrrr, along these same lines, he's playing that thing that the Enterprise D gave birth to in "Emergence"

Nah, he's clearly a shoe-in for the role of a two-dimentional life form trying to make its way back to its home in a cosmic string. It'll mesh perfectly with the 3D Paramount wanted added.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
That enemy captain from The Balance of Terror. It's going to be a massive-budget space-submarine film and I'm going to love every second of it.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I have it on good authority that, through CGI similar to that used on Armie Hammer in The Social Network, he will be playing both of the whales from ST IV.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Wendell posted:

Why the hell did we all think it was Khan in the first place?
Surprisingly, this happens a lot. A website will release some small snippet of information and people pick up on it as fact, even when they should know better.

That said, I think it was totally worth discussing how Hollywood is whitewashing certain character roles, even if it doesn't apply here. Although it is a great ending to a debate that lasted so many pages.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Now that we've changed topics to the dangers of the online rumor mill, didn't people also get bent when someone even hinted at the concept of reboot-Harry Mudd being played by Will Ferrell?

Also joining the bandwagon that thinks Simon Pegg's quote is fantastic.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

ape canyon posted:

That enemy captain from The Balance of Terror. It's going to be a massive-budget space-submarine film and I'm going to love every second of it.

I would, no lie, watch this 100X.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I try not to outright spoil major plot points but I dont see whats wrong with following production news.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I got the Hot Wheels model of the Enterprise 2009 of eBay for about $45 (including postage). I have a feeling I got ripped on the price, but I'm still happy with it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I was hoping the villain was Khan rather than the Borg, because the Borg was overexposed with First Contact and Voyager. Seeing a reimagined Khan could have been fun.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

I was hoping the villain was Khan rather than the Borg, because the Borg was overexposed with First Contact and Voyager. Seeing a reimagined Khan could have been fun.

I agree the Borg is over done with previous Trek, but I think it would be really interesting to introduce the borg with this new Trek universe. You can play them more as just a straight and terrifying threat and get away from the stupidity(IMO) of the show and trying to "know the Borg" and all that understanding/co-exist peace bullshit. I get that is kind of the stories they wanted to tell on TNG/Voyager but honestly it's lame trying to do that with the Borg. They don't need to be understood and have a big alien understanding pow-wow. I would rather they just be scary almost unstoppable space hive zombies.

I think it would actually play to the strengths of the new style and tone they are going for with the new Trek movies.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

ApexAftermath posted:

I agree the Borg is over done with previous Trek, but I think it would be really interesting to introduce the borg with this new Trek universe. You can play them more as just a straight and terrifying threat and get away from the stupidity(IMO) of the show and trying to "know the Borg" and all that understanding/co-exist peace bullshit. I get that is kind of the stories they wanted to tell on TNG/Voyager but honestly it's lame trying to do that with the Borg. They don't need to be understood and have a big alien understanding pow-wow. I would rather they just be scary almost unstoppable space hive zombies.

I think it would actually play to the strengths of the new style and tone they are going for with the new Trek movies.

It's really amazing just how badly Voyager managed to take the concept of the Borg out back and raped it violently. TNG Borg are all huge threat to the galaxy, leave destruction in their wake and there's nothing you can do to stop them, VOY Borg are like a nuisance of the week that somehow this lone ship piloted by people really bad at their job manages to easily dispatch several times, I think they somehow ended up killing all the Borg at one point too.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

piratepilates posted:

It's really amazing just how badly Voyager managed to take the concept of the Borg out back and raped it violently. TNG Borg are all huge threat to the galaxy, leave destruction in their wake and there's nothing you can do to stop them, VOY Borg are like a nuisance of the week that somehow this lone ship piloted by people really bad at their job manages to easily dispatch several times, I think they somehow ended up killing all the Borg at one point too.

This is more thought than the Voyager writers ever put into it, but I always imagined that the Borg queen was essentially the result of the TNG crew meddling--Hugh and probably Picard's experience--as the collective tried to cope. Like, a glitch in the system or whatever.

It would explain the Borg's sudden obsession with humanity and account for how the collective essentially broke down throughout Voyager's run.

I always thought that was an interesting way to look at it. Cuz, in a way, Picard and the Queen were both after their own white whales in First Contact.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I'm just tired of the whole assimilation/hive-mind archetype -- Borg, Zerg, Tyranid, the Matrix machines, etc. Hell, even the Chitauri apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wouldn't mind seeing the Borg if they were completely redone.

• Locked thread