Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

1up posted:

Biting is really easy to train out, it's just a little painful during the process. Basically, you do exactly what other cats do when they cross the playing too hard line and make a high-pitched painful noise to convey "nooooo, too mean." Do you have a cat at home already? They'll likely teach the kitten some biting manners.

No I don't but I was going to adopt another kitten with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocha Frost
May 1, 2006

1up posted:

On an unrelated note, we're looking into Armarkat trees and narrowed it down to:

We have that one. She's only 8 lbs though, but loves nothing more than sleeping on the top post. Do t know how two would fit, but a fatty should be fine. I love the top post, it's at the right height to reach and scratch her, I'm 6'1", but my wife can reach it too, she's 5'5".

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

1up posted:

Does anyone here have either model? My cats are both on the larger size [11 lbs of fluff and a 14 lb fatty fat fat] so I worry about how well they'll fit on the top of the posts.

I have this one one but both of my cats are around 9 lbs. I could see 14 lbs pushing it for fitting on the posts.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Looks pretty good. Elphaba is nervous but mostly curious. She didn't seem aggressive till Glinda went near the food. I don't know if that is because of the food, or because Glinda went far enough away that Elphaba felt it was a good time to pounce. Probably the latter. Elphaba is not very aggressive even then. Hissing is much less threatening than the deep angry growls you get sometimes. I think "wary" would be my number one word for her. (eta: her ears are forward basically the whole time, which is "curious." If they went back or flat it'd mean fearful and/or aggressive but they don't, so that's good.)

Glinda seems to be doing fine. She's definitely deliberately not challenging Elphaba. I noticed that they only actually looked each other head on once, and Glinda immediately broke the gaze by blinking and then looking away. Otherwise she seemed to be not looking at Elphaba at all, even a little consciously. That's a good sign on her part.

It's obviously quite early, but I think they'll probably be okay. It is hard to say whether they'll be snuggly (my instinct is to say probably), but I think they'll at least play pretty soon. Be patient and give them a couple weeks before you expect miracles.

Finally, they are both BEAUTIFUL, oh my goodness, and they'll be tip-of-tail-in-accent-color buddies, which is a new kind of buddy and I like it. :3:

Heheh, thanks.
I was thinking about the same, but second opinion and all that.
And yeah, we got lucky with our two awesome, gorgeous cats. Elphy's tail and other cream-patches were much whiter when we got her, as she ages, they keep getting this richer, creamier colour. And Glinda is just cute as hell, although definitely still in rear end in a top hat kitten stage hahah.
I'll get more video later - did some more supervised intro, and there was only 2 spats of hissing in about 2 hours of "open-access". I'm slowing it down more so Elphy doesn't get stressed than anything.
Also - poor dog is going to get it from 2 cats, not just 1 now ;) hahah

Arkham Angel
Jan 31, 2012
Our girl Misty has an eye infection (redness and lots of gunk). Our friend gave us some antibiotic gel she had for one of our fosters which were using on her. How long do these things usually take to clear up with treatment?

She's 1 year old, just got spayed, and had some gunk in one eye when we got her from the shelter, if that's relevant. Our guy kitty doesn't seem to have gotten it yet.

Cpaka
Jun 6, 2007

Arkham Angel posted:

Our girl Misty has an eye infection (redness and lots of gunk). Our friend gave us some antibiotic gel she had for one of our fosters which were using on her. How long do these things usually take to clear up with treatment?

She's 1 year old, just got spayed, and had some gunk in one eye when we got her from the shelter, if that's relevant. Our guy kitty doesn't seem to have gotten it yet.
Our dude had an eye infection when we got him. The vet gave us Terramycin to put on his eye twice a day. It took about a week and a half for his eye to really clear up.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm planning on adopting two cats soon. Before I do, I want to get the majority of the supplies ahead of time, and also start visiting at the shelter, to see if we like each other.

My list so far is two litter boxes, litter, a bag of good kibble, wet food, furminator, feliway, cat tree, and catnip/spray, toys.

Oh, and a new bed for myself, because gently caress having cats and an air mattress. That just sounds like a recipe for fail.

Am I missing anything? I'm think one boy and one girl, both over a year old. She is declawed, and he isn't, problem?

Innovative Salad
Jun 18, 2003

That's President Tandi to you.

toplitzin posted:

My list so far is two litter boxes, litter, a bag of good kibble, wet food, furminator, feliway, cat tree, and catnip/spray, toys.

You'll definitely need a litter scoop. I'm sure you realize that, though. :)

Oh, and food/water bowls. Maybe some treats. A kitty bed or two, but most cats will happily sleep on anything and everything.

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!
Anyone have any hints on transitioning cats to the the top entry litter boxes like the CleverCat? It's currently sitting next to the old box with some of the dirty litter in it (I saw that was recommended) without the top on. Looks like one cat is using it, the other one hasn't ventured yet.

I'm a bit worried that if I just take the old one out then I get floor poop.

Experiences?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Anyone try the following?
Omega Self Cleaning Litterbox

I'm going to have to get a normal litter box for a start, even though I plan on transitioning the cats to the toilet via litter quitter or whatever its called.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

toplitzin posted:

I'm going to have to get a normal litter box for a start, even though I plan on transitioning the cats to the toilet via litter quitter or whatever its called.

yeah, some of us around here have it. i've had no problems with it being my first litter box. my cat doesn't bury its poop so i can't tell if it's because the litter box is too small for him.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Geno posted:

yeah, some of us around here have it. i've had no problems with it being my first litter box. my cat doesn't bury its poop so i can't tell if it's because the litter box is too small for him.

Do I need two for two cats, or will one large be fine? Is there a rule of thumb for "Litterbox Placement and your happy home?"

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

toplitzin posted:

Do I need two for two cats, or will one large be fine? Is there a rule of thumb for "Litterbox Placement and your happy home?"

a large one should be fine but sometimes, cats want their own litter box so YMMV.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Omega Paw is pretty sweet. The general recommendation is that you have something like one box for each cat plus maybe one more, but it really varies. I'd start with one (that you must clean daily) with the knowledge that there's the possibility of needing to get another.

FYI: I have one Omega Paw for 2 cats, works fine.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

duckfarts posted:

Omega Paw is pretty sweet. The general recommendation is that you have something like one box for each cat plus maybe one more, but it really varies. I'd start with one (that you must clean daily) with the knowledge that there's the possibility of needing to get another.

FYI: I have one Omega Paw for 2 cats, works fine.

How old does a Cat need to be to use this? I'm getting a pair of kittens but they are little and might not be able to get in..

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Arkham Angel posted:

If it's viral, the ointment won't do anything. If the fosters had a bacterial infection, you could innoculate it to your own cat from the applicator tip. If your cat has a corneal abrasion and the eye ointments have certain medications in them, you can do a lot of harm.

So, no one on the internet will know what is wrong with your cat's eyes or if the ointment will help. You should probably take her to see a vet if you are concerned.

Duckie
Sep 12, 2010

This is sewious!

toplitzin posted:

Our two cats use the same one(they now have a Litter Robot), but we just made sure to scoop often enough so the box was always clean for them. If the box got too dirty, one cat would pee elsewhere.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Oh man, reading the reviews making me go back and forth between the LitterKwitter (toilet!), The Omega box ($35), or going big and getting the cat genie 120, but the genie is $300!

So many choices with how to deal with cat poop. So confusing!

People seem to like all of these options. Including goons, I'm wracked with indecision!

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
just be a badass and get the litter robot.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

toplitzin posted:

Oh man, reading the reviews making me go back and forth between the LitterKwitter (toilet!), The Omega box ($35), or going big and getting the cat genie 120, but the genie is $300!

So many choices with how to deal with cat poop. So confusing!

People seem to like all of these options. Including goons, I'm wracked with indecision!

Does anyone in this thread have a potty trained cat? I've been curious about trying this for a while but I have no clue as to how difficult of a process it is or if some cats just wont respond to it.

Duckie
Sep 12, 2010

This is sewious!

Geno posted:

just be a badass and get the litter robot.

I agree with this, after struggling between the catgenie and this, the litter robot is the BEST THING EVER. Works perfectly, no baking poo smell if something goes wrong. It's expensive, but oh so worth it in the long run.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

McKracken posted:

Does anyone in this thread have a potty trained cat? I've been curious about trying this for a while but I have no clue as to how difficult of a process it is or if some cats just wont respond to it.

There is a whole thread about it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476535

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Duckie posted:

I agree with this, after struggling between the catgenie and this, the litter robot is the BEST THING EVER. Works perfectly, no baking poo smell if something goes wrong. It's expensive, but oh so worth it in the long run.

So its robot or poopbaker? it seems all the amazon people love the poopbaker over the robot.

Duckie
Sep 12, 2010

This is sewious!

toplitzin posted:

So its robot or poopbaker? it seems all the amazon people love the poopbaker over the robot.

Well, what I found is that when the cat genie works, it really works. But, if there is an issue, it's usually quite a large issue. Like poo baking smell when the rack doesn't catch everything or the hose getting clogged with cat poo and having to smack the hose against the ground(actual advice from the company). Catgenie's customer service also seemed to be hit or miss, you can't seem to buy replacement parts, and it still costs a lot of money.

Litter Robot, you can buy replacement stuff online if something breaks, no extra costs, seems to be good customer service from what I read. The only yuck is if you don't change the bag in enough time, the globe will scrape against the box of poop. But, no other costs, only litter, which it uses less of than a regular box. We haven't had any issues with the robot so far and both of our kitties took to it pretty quickly. We are really glad we picked the LR over the cat genie.

EDIT: the Omega one is like a manual LR, so you could get that to try before making any large purchases.

EDIT2: Litter Robot seems to be the favored box by goons as well.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Was there a goon at one point that offered a I'll Draw Your Cat service? I cant remember if it was in GBS, PYF, PI, or I dreamed it.

And I'm not thinking of the I Want to Draw a Cat for You guy.

Arkham Angel
Jan 31, 2012

Enelrahc posted:

If it's viral, the ointment won't do anything. If the fosters had a bacterial infection, you could innoculate it to your own cat from the applicator tip. If your cat has a corneal abrasion and the eye ointments have certain medications in them, you can do a lot of harm.

So, no one on the internet will know what is wrong with your cat's eyes or if the ointment will help. You should probably take her to see a vet if you are concerned.

Her foster actually ended up having fading kitten syndrome, unfortunately. We know she was on eye medication at the shelter when we picked her out and there is a bacterial URI spreading around there (our foster kittens just got off antibiotics for it). Plus, being it spread from one eye to the other, it's probably not a scratched cornea.

So basically, we have a pretty good idea of what's wrong with her, I just wanted to have an idea of what to expect in terms of recovery time. And being that the only way we could get her to a vet between now and Saturday would be a trip to the emergency vet, we figured starting the ointment would be the best course of action.

Ointment seems to be helping. Eyes are a bit less red and less gooky and she's actually keeping them open most of the time. When she's not closing them in her 'yessss pet me' stupor, that is.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Was there a goon at one point that offered a I'll Draw Your Cat service? I cant remember if it was in GBS, PYF, PI, or I dreamed it.

And I'm not thinking of the I Want to Draw a Cat for You guy.

The guy selling pet portraits? He's got an SA Mart thread right here. I personally recommend him highly. He did a painting of my boyfriend's rotten little dog that makes her seem almost bearable. No really it's amazing

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Serella posted:

The guy selling pet portraits? He's got an SA Mart thread right here. I personally recommend him highly. He did a painting of my boyfriend's rotten little dog that makes her seem almost bearable. No really it's amazing

YES. Thank you! I have a crazy cat person friend that needs portraits of his two cute cuddly cats.

I am the crazy cat person

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

toplitzin posted:

I had that and it was neat for a bit but then by the end I really hated it. The grid lets some smaller clumps through, so you get a buildup of small clumps even after you've "scooped." The way the lid connects somehow created a trap for urine so that when I rolled it, frequently a lovely stream of piss would come out all over the floor! Awesome! I had the large one, and my cats aren't huge I think (12 pounds? Is that huge?), and it still seemed uncomfortably small. The grated area takes up half the box, so the actual toilet area is much smaller than you think looking at it. It also just had a lot of parts to clean and it was making more trouble than it was worth so I went back to a normal litterbox.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Litter Robot owns so hard.

Kambultoh
Aug 1, 2008

Has anyone ever dealt with a cat whose growth was stunted? One of my kittens spent 10 days in the care of a gigantic moron when he was just five weeks old. When she decided she couldn't keep him, we took him in and reunited him with his litter mates and learned that he had basically been starving, and what little he did get to eat made him sick because it was cows milk. (Seriously, I want to hurt this woman so bad, grrr). Anyway, we've nursed him back to health, we're getting some proper nutrition into him and putting meat back on his bones, and he's slowly starting to act like a kitten instead of the timid ball of fuzzy DERP that he was for the first two weeks we had him. The poor kid was so malnourished though, that his growth was stunted and he's TINY next to his siblings. They're all 9 weeks old and he looks like he's only about 6-7, and he started out as the biggest of the three. He appears to be thriving now but my question is, will he always be small or will he eventually catch up to his siblings in adulthood, and will he always be slightly derpy too? I can't seem to find any information on the prognosis of a kitten with stunted growth, just causes for it.

This is him next to his brother about a week ago for size comparison, and it doesn't do the difference justice because Dexter (the big kitty) is balled up extra-compact there. The size difference looks even bigger in person.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Duckie posted:

EDIT: the Omega one is like a manual LR, so you could get that to try before making any large purchases.

EDIT2: Litter Robot seems to be the favored box by goons as well.
These are both spot on; you can use the Omega Paw as a try-before-you-buy, as the Litter Robot really is pretty much the same thing except it rolls itself.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I had that and it was neat for a bit but then by the end I really hated it. The grid lets some smaller clumps through, so you get a buildup of small clumps even after you've "scooped." The way the lid connects somehow created a trap for urine so that when I rolled it, frequently a lovely stream of piss would come out all over the floor! Awesome! I had the large one, and my cats aren't huge I think (12 pounds? Is that huge?), and it still seemed uncomfortably small. The grated area takes up half the box, so the actual toilet area is much smaller than you think looking at it. It also just had a lot of parts to clean and it was making more trouble than it was worth so I went back to a normal litterbox.
I've never had the "stores pee" problem myself, and I don't agree with the "too many parts" thing, as there aren't that many parts to one of these boxes. My issues are generally that you may want to use a scoop to knock off clumps stuck to the box, and you will need to eventually do a full litter change when the stankosity of the loose litter gets too high due to some small clump bits breaking and getting through(and becoming "normal", but stinky litter). Granted, I have a lot of things working against me on this in that I don't use clay litter(I use a fiber based "fragment" clumping litter both so it doesn't track as much and so I can flush it) which can break down into dust that gets through the grate, and I live in a humid environment, which ruins the litter faster.

That said, it saves so much time for me and makes poop box maintenance easier to deal with.

I wouldn't go with the Cat Genie unless I could find a way to refill the proprietary solution cartridges and granules with potential replacements; the Litter Robot seems better because you can use whatever litter you want whereas the Cat Genie locks you into buying their refills(provided they still make them later on).

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Bizarre question about kitten boy-parts. Spoilered because not everyone likes to read about kitten boy-parts:

Hugo's spending a lot of time trying to lick his butthole because he's a bit loose after having his vaccination. Problem is, when he scrunches over to try and lick his butthole, it kind of...makes it fold into skin between his tail and his soon-to-be-removed balls (2 July). He can't seem to reach it when it's all disappeared like that so he licks his meat-and-two-veg instead...so now his butthole is getting inflamed because he can't lick it properly and his wang is getting inflamed and also sticking out a lot because he's licking it too much. This is going to sound retarded but is removing his balls going to help uhh get rid of the obstacles in the way of his goal?

Edit: Picture to try and make up for the weirdness of the question:

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 5, 2012

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Tamarillo posted:

Bizarre question about kitten boy-parts. Spoilered because not everyone likes to read about kitten boy-parts:

Hugo's spending a lot of time trying to lick his butthole because he's a bit loose after having his vaccination. Problem is, when he scrunches over to try and lick his butthole, it kind of...makes it fold into skin between his tail and his soon-to-be-removed balls (2 July). He can't seem to reach it when it's all disappeared like that so he licks his meat-and-two-veg instead...so now his butthole is getting inflamed because he can't lick it properly and his wang is getting inflamed and also sticking out a lot because he's licking it too much. This is going to sound retarded but is removing his balls going to help uhh get rid of the obstacles in the way of his goal?

Well... First of all, don't be so self-conscious about talking about these things - one of the many lovely realities of pet ownership involves the fact that these animals have no concept whatsoever of modesty (which I personally find oddly inspiring in a way) and thus when it comes to the discussion and solving of all problems relating to anuses and genitalia it's best to just go for it and treat it as matter-of-factly as the animals do.

As to your problem, this is kind of a guess (or just reasoning things out based on general knowledge) but I think Hugo's issue has a lot more to do with the fact that he's a chubby little kitten, who is currently in an awkward stage of physical development where certain things aren't quite the right size, and/or there's too much baby fat getting in the way in annoying places that he'll grow out of (or into, as the case may be). That's what it sounds like to me. Cats *will* lick their genitals and buttholes with a fairly high degree of frequency, and in truth it's good that he's doing it in the first place, because the problematic cats tend to be the ones who never learn to properly wash themselves (for whatever reason). But once he grows up a bit more (which is probably a matter of weeks, or a month or two at most) he should be able to access both portions of his nether regions and lick them clean with ease, I think.

The issue until then is just making the situation more manageable. Basically, you might need to wash his butt yourself for him when it's dirty (I have personally found a very soft washcloth and warm water to be effective when I've had to do this, or alternatively a very soft cloth-like paper-towel such as Viva has worked for me too). And on the other end, possibly asking your vet if there's any topical lotion/balm to treat the irritation with, if it's getting really bad. That's my $.02, anyway - I think this is a problem that's a "growing pain" more than anything else, in a manner of speaking, and will sort itself out.

And really, don't be embarrassed - these problems happen all the time. When I first adopted Jackie, she was an 18 pound monster of a rotund fattie cat who was so massive that she couldn't lick her own butt without literally just falling onto her side. It was really pathetic and a little sad. For the first few months when I had just started her new diet and exercise regime, I had to clean her myself. It was actually a really awesome moment when she got down to 15.5 pounds or so and finally was able to clean herself, I was so proud of my little Jackie-kins :3:

US Foreign Policy
Jan 5, 2006

Things to liberate:
You
Your shit
I dunno if this needs to have its own thread, but I've got an issue with a cat being a shithead to my dog. I've had this cat for about 4 years now, and he was an adult-adoption who had been abused and lived indoors his whole life. Anyway, over the years I've amassed a total of 3 cats (strays! adopt all the strays!) and now also have a dog.

2 of the 3 cats love the dog - chase her, play with her, sleep ontop of her, sometimes even kinda bully her around. Its a good dynamic, everybody seems pretty happy with the situation. Cat #3, the one who's been here the longest, just will not get along with the dog. He's all angry noises over so much as making eye contact with the dog, and will almost always run away. The dog, being a dog, will chase the cat because Dog. This just kinda runs its own vicious cycle where the cat acts a poo poo, then gets justified in acting a poo poo, whereas the dog gets to keep chasing a (very angry) cat.

So how do I make the cat chill the hell out? Clearly the dog is OK with cats, and clearly other cats are OK with the dog. I'm moving to a new house where the cat will go from free-ranging hundreds of acres of farmland to living in a townhouse with a small yard, so they need to get used to the concept of close-quarters living.

Is there any reccomended means of making the cat OK with everything? My only idea thus far has been to lock the both of them in an empty room with no way for the cat to jump up on something to avoid the dog. I know that sounds mean as hell to the cat, but they've been sharing a house for months at this point and i know for a fact the dog won't get aggressive or anything. Maybe that experience would force the cat to acknowledge the dog is harmless, or it might sour him forever on the idea.

Suggestions?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

US Foreign Policy posted:

I dunno if this needs to have its own thread, but I've got an issue with a cat being a shithead to my dog. I've had this cat for about 4 years now, and he was an adult-adoption who had been abused and lived indoors his whole life. Anyway, over the years I've amassed a total of 3 cats (strays! adopt all the strays!) and now also have a dog.

2 of the 3 cats love the dog - chase her, play with her, sleep ontop of her, sometimes even kinda bully her around. Its a good dynamic, everybody seems pretty happy with the situation. Cat #3, the one who's been here the longest, just will not get along with the dog. He's all angry noises over so much as making eye contact with the dog, and will almost always run away. The dog, being a dog, will chase the cat because Dog. This just kinda runs its own vicious cycle where the cat acts a poo poo, then gets justified in acting a poo poo, whereas the dog gets to keep chasing a (very angry) cat.

So how do I make the cat chill the hell out? Clearly the dog is OK with cats, and clearly other cats are OK with the dog. I'm moving to a new house where the cat will go from free-ranging hundreds of acres of farmland to living in a townhouse with a small yard, so they need to get used to the concept of close-quarters living.

Is there any reccomended means of making the cat OK with everything? My only idea thus far has been to lock the both of them in an empty room with no way for the cat to jump up on something to avoid the dog. I know that sounds mean as hell to the cat, but they've been sharing a house for months at this point and i know for a fact the dog won't get aggressive or anything. Maybe that experience would force the cat to acknowledge the dog is harmless, or it might sour him forever on the idea.

Suggestions?

Feliway? The magic anti kitty stress stuff? I'm still in pre-cat ownership, so I dunno.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Suggestions?
That is mean and will likely end with a trip for at least one of them to the vet. Give the cat multiple safe places where it can escape from the dog. A high perch, a room with a baby gate that the dog can't get into. Try and create situations where the dog isn't allowed to chase the cat. This will likely involve effort on your part to train the dog. Your view of the dog being aggressive and the cat's view of the dog being aggressive are very different. Why do you want them to be best buddies?

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

I dunno if this needs to have its own thread, but I've got an issue with a cat Cat #3, the one who's been here the longest, just will not get along with the dog. He's all angry noises over so much as making eye contact with the dog, and will almost always run away. The dog, being a dog, will chase the cat because Dog. This just kinda runs its own vicious cycle where the cat acts a poo poo, then gets justified in acting a poo poo, whereas the dog gets to keep chasing a (very angry) cat.

I honestly don't have any advice for you, as I'm in kind of the same boat. My cat is very afraid of the ferrets, but this is manageable because they are mostly in a cage. The problem will come when my boyfriend and I move in together in a few months, since he has a dog. My cat, like yours, can't leave well enough alone and goes out of his way to confront and attack other animals instead of being content with hiding way up high where no one can get him.

gently caress cats.

US Foreign Policy
Jan 5, 2006

Things to liberate:
You
Your shit

Enelrahc posted:

Why do you want them to be best buddies?

I really just want them to be able to co-exist. The cat wont even eat if the dog is in the room, choosing instead to growl and glare. If they were able to just leave each other alone in a peace based on indifference, I'd be ever so happy with the situation.

Does that Feliway stuff actually work? I've never tried it but it sounds like its promising more than it can deliver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

1up posted:

Biting is really easy to train out, it's just a little painful during the process. Basically, you do exactly what other cats do when they cross the playing too hard line and make a high-pitched painful noise to convey "nooooo, too mean." Do you have a cat at home already? They'll likely teach the kitten some biting manners.

Do you think if I adopt the bitey kitten and another one who doesn't bite that the calmer one could teach the other one to behave? Or is that more with adult cats?