Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

notsoape posted:

Speaking of lurchers...

13 months :3:

Look at that awesome face. She looks like she has a less retarded version of Lola's squirrel-tail, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Tamarillo posted:

Steezo I'm late to the party commenting on this but your cat is the most ridiculously and hilariously fluffy thing I have ever seen. He's like a haystack with a face! Is he a particular breed (like a Birman on HAIRY HAIRY STEROIDS) or is he just a mix of every single fluffy cat plus cotton trees and candy floss?

He looks like a Himalayan kitty, of the doll-face variety. Basically a Persian/Siamese cross. There is also another "peke face" variety which has the same smacked in the face with a iron skillet look of show Persians. Here's an example of that. Please click that link, that cat is freaking adorable.

They are super fluffy and oh so squishible. My fiends have some and they are the friendliest laid-back puffballs on earth. I can never manage to get a photograph because whenever I pull out the camera they head butt it because they are not currently being pet.

Terminally Ill
Sep 26, 2007

No! Stop touching yourself!
I have a bed that eats chubby terriers named Scraps:

And a dog bed that also eats the brothers of chubby terriers. (I seriously have no idea where Zero's head begins and his body ends here. I just came home from work and this is how he was sleeping.)

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Tamarillo posted:

Steezo I'm late to the party commenting on this but your cat is the most ridiculously and hilariously fluffy thing I have ever seen. He's like a haystack with a face! Is he a particular breed (like a Birman on HAIRY HAIRY STEROIDS) or is he just a mix of every single fluffy cat plus cotton trees and candy floss?

Beaten but he's a Himalayan. I found him at a humane society shelter about ten months ago when I moved to my current apartment. Or he found me, never sure which way it goes. He really is fluff and friendliness personified. It's impossible to be angry with him in you lap or shoulder purring at you while headbutting you into submission.

He's only really dangerous to his toys. Like the fluffy spider that had pom poms for legs at one point.

Fortunately he's only rough on the toys. And parts of his tongue.

I hope this gives you some idea how much of him is pure fluffy fur. He's not fat at all. He's more attention than food motivated.

Though if he's feeling lazy he'll knead my trousers instead of getting in my lap.

So pretty much everything Shifty Pony said. I do have to be either quick or keep my distance from him with the camera since even toys aren't as interesting as lap time, cuddles and headbutts.

Like this shot here, old one, took me a long time to get.

As a bonus have some pics of the Search and Rescue dog that helped us train a few drill weekends ago. His handler was incredibly informative and did better going up and down the mountainside than some most of the soldiers. The dog himself was real friendly and helpful, yet incredibly well behaved.

He was winning this tug of war, by the way.

Edit: again with the table breakage...

Edit 2: What the hell, might as well. He'll start in my lap then ooze up to my shoulder.

Steezo fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 5, 2012

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Whoa, adventure in the sandbox, I think I found what Siggy's problem is: Littermate Syndrome. I'd never heard of it before, it's really interesting.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Not smushyfaced enough to be a Himalayan. Pointed DLH. Much cuter than smushyfaced Himalayan.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Skizzles posted:

Whoa, adventure in the sandbox, I think I found what Siggy's problem is: Littermate Syndrome. I'd never heard of it before, it's really interesting.

I bet thats what it is! He was standoffish as a pup but not nervous, as he is now. We had an idea that this would happen, but I hadn't heard of a name for this situation. And I hadn't seen such a concise write up. Its very interesting!

I'm ok with it because they keep each other busy and help tire each other out during exercise, which is a huge benefit for us. I know "better" than to get two puppies at once, but... I have two really cool dogs and they will always be together (except for training, holy poo poo does Delta fuckin' love little cheese cubes). When they were small we put in the effort to separate them for walks and during the workday (one in kitchen, one in crate).

I was worried about them last fall, they were too codependent. It was annoying and sad, because its my responsibility to raise well-adjusted dogs. But they seem to be mellowing out and now they are more independent. Part of what is challenging is living in an urban environment, where the dogs can't go off and do their own thing. If we are out camping or visiting friends with property, they are happy to wander off and do solo dog things :) Of course we still occasionally take them on walks separately now that its summer. There's no way I am doing separate walks in -20C or colder!

That's such a nice little writeup though, thanks for showing me!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Mordin had an adventure inside our sofa tonight. Thankfully we have a couple of blankets down on top of the foldout mechanism or he could have been very difficult to extract, instead we just had to pull the cushions aside.

That's what I get for trying to wrangle two at once, I guess. Garrus, meanwhile, was happy to hang out on my shoulder and watch Mordin dive into the couch.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Skizzles posted:

That was an interesting read, thanks for posting it!

I've heard of something similar happening when a (hobby/home/small scale) breeder decides to keep one of her own puppies at home with the mom. I don't think the results are quite that dramatic, but the puppies raised with their mothers do seem to mature a lot later and often seem less assertive and a bit helpless when they have to solve problems on their own. Normally this doesn't happen to a problematic extent, but it's something you need to pay attention to if you want the pup to grow up to be a sports/working dog.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Every day I'm beagling...

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Oh my god, I'm watching the ultimate Standoff of Stupidity right now. There's a chipmunk sitting on the scaffolding outside my dining room window; my cat Erlend is going nuts scrabbling at the window and panting and lashing his tail, and the chipmunk is going nuts standing there and squeaking at him.

SO MUCH TINY-BRAINED EXCITEMENT.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Rixatrix posted:

That was an interesting read, thanks for posting it!

I've heard of something similar happening when a (hobby/home/small scale) breeder decides to keep one of her own puppies at home with the mom. I don't think the results are quite that dramatic, but the puppies raised with their mothers do seem to mature a lot later and often seem less assertive and a bit helpless when they have to solve problems on their own. Normally this doesn't happen to a problematic extent, but it's something you need to pay attention to if you want the pup to grow up to be a sports/working dog.

That seems to make sense, and it would definitely explain one of my mom's pugs. But since he's a pug it doesn't really matter so hey.

edit: An acquaintance messaged me on Facebook with this message:

Acquaintance posted:

i wanted to see if fish oil would help Domo with his skin problems. I read a few sites and they said it was ok to give them fish oil made for humans but i don't really know a whole lot on what ingredients can be harmful to dogs. All but #4 is liquid.

Fish oil #1 has : All Natural Flavoring, Vitamin E, Rosemary Extract, and Ascorbyl Palmitate.

Fish oil #2 has: Natural lemon flavor, rosemary extract, ascorbyl palmitate, natural tocopherols.

Fish oil #3 has: Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavor, Stevia

Fish oil #4 has: Gelatin, Glycerine, Riboflavin Color, Titanium Dioxide (Natural Mineral Whitener), Vitamin E, Enteric Coating (Cellulose, Sodium Alginate, Medium Chain Triglcerides, Oleic & Stearic Acid)

Domo is a dog. I haven't the slightest clue, does anyone have a better idea?

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 6, 2012

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
I've given Luna a few human fish oil pills with no ill effects.

Hoping to meet this boy soon. Hes about 40lb I think, about 2 years old? Or 1+. good with dogs, not with cats. But if I can talk with the current owner, Ill get a better idea of his personality. That face is ridiculous though, I love it.
And I am going to return Luna in a few days. Its the best solution for both her and our household, even if I really really like her. Sad. : (

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Skizzles posted:

Domo is a dog. I haven't the slightest clue, does anyone have a better idea?

Balen's taken fish oil before. Just the human plain old fish oil pills you get at like, walmart. I dunno, I'd avoid the stevia.

Domo. Domo?

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I just took my parents' ancient cat to the vet the other day, and the vet said that fish oil is good for pretty much all animals.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

With that face and colouring, he looks like a skinnier version of Moses.

Yesterday I saw a dog that was the spitting image of Lola's mother, down to the short hair, weird body shape, and dark patch only on top of her head. Except the dog I saw also had a strangely fluffy, Lola-like squirrel tail. I had to look twice to make sure it wasn't Lola's mum. I guess oddball JRTs are even more common around here than I thought? :psyduck:

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

Malalol posted:

Hoping to meet this boy soon. Hes about 40lb I think, about 2 years old? Or 1+. good with dogs, not with cats. But if I can talk with the current owner, Ill get a better idea of his personality. That face is ridiculous though, I love it.
And I am going to return Luna in a few days. Its the best solution for both her and our household, even if I really really like her. Sad. : (
That's a drat good lookin' dog. :3:

Speaking of handsome dogs, I totally want this guy:
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22462609

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

The lady I bought my new sheep from had a BC she got as a sheepdog trial washout (he loved people more than herding) and now I want one. At one point the farmer was trying to figure out where the dog was and realized that she had told the dog to hold the sheep and it still was almost 20 minutes later but it wasn't frantically busy like some other bcs I've met. When he was released he came over for some love then wandered off to occupy himself. The dogs from the breeder he came from come already trained on stock so I would know it could work/its general temperament and I wouldn't have to deal with a puppy. The breeder even does all sorts of health testing which is a miracle in the stockdog world. Maybe if it was a little female Major wouldn't want to eat her too much...

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Instant Jellyfish posted:

The lady I bought my new sheep from had a BC she got as a sheepdog trial washout (he loved people more than herding) and now I want one. At one point the farmer was trying to figure out where the dog was and realized that she had told the dog to hold the sheep and it still was almost 20 minutes later but it wasn't frantically busy like some other bcs I've met. When he was released he came over for some love then wandered off to occupy himself. The dogs from the breeder he came from come already trained on stock so I would know it could work/its general temperament and I wouldn't have to deal with a puppy. The breeder even does all sorts of health testing which is a miracle in the stockdog world. Maybe if it was a little female Major wouldn't want to eat her too much...

That would be pretty cool. You could also spin and knit the dog all sorts of sweaters and outfits from the wool. You must do this.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Thanks for the fish oil input, guys.

Also, apparently Ginny has a twin for adoption in my area:

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Two Cats, One Laser Pointer

If you can manage to make it to the end of the video (not the most exciting) you can see the spectacular way Arthur jumps up the wall.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
I found an interesting Etsy store some of you might like:
Curly Dogs

She does nifty paper filigree portraits of dogs and whatever animal you might like. I have never seen anything like that so if you already own all the resin statuettes of your breed, here is a new thing for you to collect.

I have started clicker training my cats in earnest and one of them is really getting how to touch his nose to the target and I am so proud you guys! :3: He is clearly gifted, I will start researching cat scholarships ASAP.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Skizzles posted:

It looks like someone crossed a schipperke with an ACD!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I'm dogsitting for my uncle and thought I'd share some pictures of this buttwagon:

Here I am making a sandwich.

Here I am eating the sandwich.

Here I am after having eaten the sandwich.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Question: So are labs generally considered smart dogs? I ask this because the place I work gets several labs on a regular basis. And they're all very sweet dogs, love getting pats and have serious cases of buttwiggles when they're excited. They're also about as smart as a bag of rocks. Just wondering if this is just them or the breed on the whole is kinda derp.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Labs are dumb as gently caress because they're overbred to hell and back. The field-bred ones are still fairly good retrievers and can be smart, but I wouldn't class the breed as a whole as intelligent dogs, not anymore. Generations of being Amurica's #1 dog has taken care of that.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Bash Ironfist posted:

Question: So are labs generally considered smart dogs? I ask this because the place I work gets several labs on a regular basis. And they're all very sweet dogs, love getting pats and have serious cases of buttwiggles when they're excited. They're also about as smart as a bag of rocks. Just wondering if this is just them or the breed on the whole is kinda derp.

Yeah, there's tons of people I know who own or have owned labs at one point, they seem pretty derpy but I think that's because a lot of them are spoiled and untrained. I've seen working labs and they've still got the "YAY FOOD. YAY BALLS" derp going on, but then they actually relax a bit at home instead of being like that 24/7.
My dog is a lab mix and can be a bit slow on the uptake of training and new ideas. He'd much prefer to just lay there and eat sometimes and go on long walks instead of learning to sit or shake my hand. It's like he just doesn't really get the point and can't connect doing a thing to getting a treat.
Oh, and the rudder tail. Smacking their tails into everything you hold dear is just a Lab Thing too.

I think it just kind of depends on the lab, but as a whole they're kind of....doofy. Not dumb I guess, but clumsy and excitable and not very good at solving problems on their own.

E: Or what Captain Foxy said, I pretty much agree.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bash Ironfist posted:

I think you need to separate goofiness from intelligence. A good one can learn commands easily and generally can be very very smart when given a task to do. They love food so drat much that positive reinforcement is almost comically easy. However they seem to have an on/off switch for their brains and become derp-machines when it comes time to play. I don't think they really have a good sense for how big their body is sometimes.

There is also a huge difference between field dogs and your general BYB or pet Labrador.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Pretty much what Captain Foxy said. They used to be very intelligent as a whole, especially field bred ones (and I'm sure most of the ones bred for service work still have some good smarts). But generally now they're overbred into hyperactive retards.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

If you can get a calm lab, they can be smart as hell. It's, like Foxy said, avoiding the awful poo poo lines which make up.. god, 75% of the dogs out there. We're not talking border collie smart, but they can easily do obedience stuff like any other dog if you work with'em.

It's kinda sad, really.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If you can get a calm lab, they can be smart as hell. It's, like Foxy said, avoiding the awful poo poo lines which make up.. god, 75% of the dogs out there. We're not talking border collie smart, but they can easily do obedience stuff like any other dog if you work with'em.

It's kinda sad, really.

That is kind of sad :smith:

The Labs at work are super sweet, and the butt-wiggle they do when they wag their tails SO HARD is super adorable. An intelligent, field-line bred lab is probably an amazing dog.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Bash Ironfist posted:

I don't know. After my parents' experience with their border collie mix, I'm firmly of the camp that smart dogs are not a good fit for a lot of typical dog owners.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bash Ironfist posted:

The Labs at work are super sweet, and the butt-wiggle they do when they wag their tails SO HARD is super adorable. An intelligent, field-line bred lab is probably an amazing dog.

You think it is super adorable, but there is a reason why Lab owners don't keep much stuff on their coffee tables.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?

Skizzles posted:

Oh my god I want that dog so bad. It's so scruffy! :3:

On the lab conversation, I had landlords a few years ago who had a very sweet, very dumb lab who would stand up and (very gently) put his enormous front paws on your shoulders. Not necessarily a good thing when coming home with an armload of groceries, or laundry, or... ever, really, but he was the sweetest, doofiest dog all the same. Then they got a puppy, who was an absolute hellion at first, but clearly the smarter of the two. I can remember sitting in the yard reading a book when she came over, nosed my flip-flop, then ran off and brought me another flip flop from upstairs. Their back yard was perpetually littered with socks, shoes and other things she'd carried off. They both learned to sit outside our apartment door and beg for treats, because I always kept a box of dog biscuits on hand.

SusiePhone
Nov 11, 2008
I don't post here often, but I'd like to share the picture my Mum sent of her neighbours new rescue dog, Minstrel.

That is all.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

SusiePhone posted:

I don't post here often, but I'd like to share the picture my Mum sent of her neighbours new rescue dog, Minstrel.

That is all.

Gads, that's cute.

Bea and the puppy have made friends, which means long term wrestling and short term humping. Because Bea likes 'em young :pedo:

The Prismatic Goth
May 31, 2001

My local SPCA posted this on their facebook page and I went "squeeeeeeeee :swoon:"

I think I used to have a stuffed toy just like him!

(What kind of dog is that, I'm terrible with dog breeds...)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Looks like a Wheaton terrier. We used to have one at my work who would let you carry him just like that. :3:

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

FlyingFish posted:

(What kind of dog is that, I'm terrible with dog breeds...)

Looks like a standard poodle with a natural clip, or maybe an Otterhound? Could be a Golden Doodle, even. Or maybe a mix of some sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
It's a Wheaten Terrier. Sad that it's mistaken for a Goldendoodle, as it is an actual hypoallergenic breed and what people should get if they want a medium-sized, non-shedding scruffy thing, but they don't.

Otterhounds look like this:

• Locked thread