Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Kerfuffle posted:

Is dee eight cat nip still available? I didn't see it anywhere in SA mart. If it's not available anyone have any good alternatives I can get online or at petsmart? Our petco sucks poo poo and has nothing.

I know he has it planted and growing for the new season!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Greycious posted:

The city shelter near me gets some of the most adorable dogs ever:

My personal favorite:

One of the nearby rural shelters has this guy. I want him so bad. :(

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR

Radio! posted:

Are you going to the vet? I had a cat do something similar a few months ago and it turns out that he had pancreatitis out of the blue. The vet gave him some fluids and he was totally fine after that.

We went to the vet for the wonky eye thing a few weeks ago, and I've been in touch about it. I think we have that under control ($150 later). She had normal appetite and behavior this evening, so happy about that. I have a 6 month senior blood work appointment made for July 6. Now I remember she threw up in the morning last weekend, but after making her 'omg I'm nauseous' meow which woke me up and sent me running, thinking she was hurt. What's killing me is I'm going out of town for 9 days, starting in a week. I have a cat sitter come twice a day, but if she's going off her food, omg, I'm going to worry so much.

She has some undiagnosed elevated liver enzymes that have been stable for the better part of a year. She also has a lump on her abdomen, which again has been stable for the better part of a year, and I'm not sure if was there all along. I adopted her at likely age 12, and she's likely age 13 now. I'm just worried because something is changing right now. I just doubled her Cosequin dosage because she seemed to be getting stiffer in the joints. The vet ok'ed that and didn't mention it could have side effects though.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Feldman had The Snip today, and now he has no balls! :toot: that and being microchiped cost like 400 bux all together.

His heartrate went a bit slow, so they gave him stuff to speed it up, but besides that it went fine. Now he's got an empty ballbag, and a bullystick for being a good boy. Also Tramadol. Delicious :catdrugs:

The vet suggested we ice the incision area, but how do you do that? Don't think he'll want to sit on an icepack.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

We have one of those neoprene ice packs for icing your shoulder, and when Husker was healing we would just drape it over the incision site. Something that molds to the wound is best, like a bag of frozen peas or whatever. Just get him to lay down on his side and press the cold compress to the wound area and leave it for about ten minutes. If you don't have a fabric covered ice pack, use a washcloth between the ice pack and his skin.

It shouldn't be all that necessary unless you notice a lot of swelling or bruising, though.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Gary's knee is getting better and the vet reckons he just needs to rest for a couple more weeks and he should be fine! Thank goodness because I can't stand another surgery.

He celebrated by eating half a block of chocolate I left on the table, thanks dog.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Instant Jellyfish posted:

My issue with what ButWhatIf was saying is the insinuation that breeders who work to produce dogs with traditional or working temperaments are doing a disservice to the breed or society as a whole.

Yep, this. :) I know I've said it all before, so I'll just sum up, but I really think there's no point to breeding a breed unless it's to preserve something. Like notsoape said, a lot of that times it means sacrificing EXACTLY what the breed was designed for just out of lack of available outlet for it, but I think you need to be breeding with a goal, and to say you're going to water a breed down to make them good pets just doesn't do it for me. 1) There's pet dogs all over the place in shelters, 2) There are pet quality dogs in every litter (yes, dogs with great "home dog" temperaments) and 3) Not every breed is meant for every person and people need to be more responsible than to just say, "I like the way that dog looks so I'm going to get it."

I have a couple neat examples of the way GSDs and CsVs are changing, but my baby's waking up, so that'll have to wait!

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have an idea of what Jax here is?

Likely an ACD cross, what with the freckles, ears and barrel-shape, but with what else? I haven't seen him in person but he looks really long and low.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Gary's knee is getting better and the vet reckons he just needs to rest for a couple more weeks and he should be fine! Thank goodness because I can't stand another surgery.

He celebrated by eating half a block of chocolate I left on the table, thanks dog.

I'm pretty sure we need some Gary pictures. I find him adorable. I still remember that Pissmas picture of him with that little blue monster toy thing. Cracks me up.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

hhgtrillian posted:

I'm pretty sure we need some Gary pictures. I find him adorable. I still remember that Pissmas picture of him with that little blue monster toy thing. Cracks me up.

Well how can I say no to that? :)

It was raining when he went out to pee.

Cat butt

Hot dawwwwggggg

Aw man it fell off.

No more hot dog. :(

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

From not doing laundry to purrin

Maybe two seconds.

Can't exactly record, or embed his purr all that well. It's consistent but my camera picks up machine noise ten times better than human or animal noise. Trust me though, it goes on for as long as he gets pettins or headbutts.

tboeske01
Apr 6, 2011

in the end the addition of charles barkley did improve the amount of dunk in the proposed replacement picture as expected, even exceeding our more modest projections easily.
I am not an activist in any way shape or form. After looking into the practices of the breeders for big chain stores, I find myself quietly telling people not to buy pets from them. I suggest adoption or buying from a local breeder instead. This kind or makes me sad though. I hate seeing the animals there for long periods of time. They deserve the love and attention that a family can provide but the practices are abominable. The conundrum provided by this just depresses me. Enjoy your day everyone.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Well how can I say no to that? :)

It was raining when he went out to pee.

No more hot dog. :(

Yay! Gary pictures! :dance: I needed some cute. My 16 year old kitty is really sick right now, not 100% sure what's going on. Took him to work today to have a few diagnostic things done and got a few meds on board. Hopefully we'll get it figured out, and he'll be feeling better soon.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Cat eats rat, bites man. man has plague.
http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/ap/plague-confirmed-in-oregon-man-bitten-by-stray-cat

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

A literal catpuddle.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

tboeske01 posted:

I am not an activist in any way shape or form. After looking into the practices of the breeders for big chain stores, I find myself quietly telling people not to buy pets from them. I suggest adoption or buying from a local breeder instead. This kind or makes me sad though. I hate seeing the animals there for long periods of time. They deserve the love and attention that a family can provide but the practices are abominable. The conundrum provided by this just depresses me. Enjoy your day everyone.

Hi. Those "local breeders" (backyard breeders) tend to be the ones who supply pet stores and fill up shelters with puppies so yeah, don't buy from them either.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

Apidae posted:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have an idea of what Jax here is?

Likely an ACD cross, what with the freckles, ears and barrel-shape, but with what else? I haven't seen him in person but he looks really long and low.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some Pit in there. Maybe Pit/ACD/Shepherd? Or something.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Huh, there's a lesson in this. Don't steal from a cat, especially when they're doing their duty and killing plague carriers. I hope this doesn't spawn any media backlash against cats.

Once or twice a year I'll catch something on the news about someone in New Mexico getting the plague or some other disease like the hantavirus but they always blame the disease vector, which is some rodent but I don't remember which one.

As for the catpuddle, he's around fourty to fifty percent fluff. Nine pound cat and three of it is fur. Last time he had a bath it took a good five minutes under running water to get all of him wet enough to shampoo.

Here's an image that illustrates that, I think. He's in my lap stretched as far out as he can go.

Edit: For a short time after the bath he was extra fluffy. The blowdryer he got along with, the bath part not so much. Had to pull him off my shoulder more than once when bathing him. Then I remembered why I was usually willing to pay someone else to do it...

Steezo fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 17, 2012

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Boooo, one of our kitties, Bonus, was just diagnosed with an overactive thyroid. I had a feeling he's had it forever - he's always been incredibly ravenous but has been steadily dropping weight for about two years now. So now he's gunna be on meds. He's about 12 or 13, so it seems on par.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Shnooks posted:

Boooo, one of our kitties, Bonus, was just diagnosed with an overactive thyroid. I had a feeling he's had it forever - he's always been incredibly ravenous but has been steadily dropping weight for about two years now. So now he's gunna be on meds. He's about 12 or 13, so it seems on par.

I hope Bonus gets better! :shobon:

There's this pibble at work, and she's adorable. But we have to give her pills twice a day for her allergies, and she just won't take them. We didn't have any pill pockets, so we just tried to give her the pills, and she kept pushing them out with her tongue. Might bring in some salami or something tomorrow, see if that works.

A Pitbull's face changes pretty dramatically when you pull their lips back. Them teeth are serious business.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Bash Ironfist posted:

A Pitbull's face changes pretty dramatically when you pull their lips back. Them teeth are serious business.

Same could be said of most any dog breed.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Steezo posted:

Huh, there's a lesson in this. Don't steal from a cat, especially when they're doing their duty and killing plague carriers. I hope this doesn't spawn any media backlash against cats.

Yeah I'm a little confused by the thought process that would lead one to conclude that trying to take a dead mouse (food) away from a strange cat.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ye Worse User-name posted:

Yeah I'm a little confused by the thought process that would lead one to conclude that trying to take a dead mouse (food) away from a strange cat.

I'm confused by anyone wanting to touch a dead rat, ever.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

Bash Ironfist posted:

Might bring in some salami or something tomorrow, see if that works.

If this doesn't work, (and I would try holding an extra piece ready in your hand while the pilled-salami is given to her, it makes them eagerly swallow to prepare for the next treat, if that makes sense) there is a way to pill dogs by placing the pill in the mouth, wrapping the snout closed with your hand (obviously not over the nose), and massaging the throat downwards in gentle motions while tilting the dog's head up slightly. It triggers a swallowing response. You may need two people to do this though if the dog isn't having any of it.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

TVs Ian posted:

Same could be said of most any dog breed.

True. But I think a chihuahua wouldn't look as menacing as a pit bull.

Ishkibibble_Fish posted:

If this doesn't work, (and I would try holding an extra piece ready in your hand while the pilled-salami is given to her, it makes them eagerly swallow to prepare for the next treat, if that makes sense) there is a way to pill dogs by placing the pill in the mouth, wrapping the snout closed with your hand (obviously not over the nose), and massaging the throat downwards in gentle motions while tilting the dog's head up slightly. It triggers a swallowing response. You may need two people to do this though if the dog isn't having any of it.

This is what we actually tried, should have mentioned that. We got her to swallow one pill, but we just couldn't get the second pill down. We might have just not managed to put the pill further enough in her mouth to do it.

But I'll probably try the salami thing tomorrow, because :effort:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Bash Ironfist posted:

True. But I think a chihuahua wouldn't look as menacing as a large breed.

Bash, you seem nervous about pit bulls. You've made comments about them looking like "tuff" dogs. Be nervous about any large breed - I'm sure my GSDs could do more damage to someone's hand, should they so desire, than a pit bull.

That being said, I play this (really dumb) game where I pretend to punch Sigma in the nose, and he grabs my hand with his mouth. Sometimes he gets too excited and bites a bit firmer than I would like, and I snatch my hand back to punch him again a bit quicker than is smart. Ouchie.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Bash, you seem nervous about pit bulls. You've made comments about them looking like "tuff" dogs. Be nervous about any large breed - I'm sure my GSDs could do more damage to someone's hand, should they so desire, than a pit bull.

That being said, I play this (really dumb) game where I pretend to punch Sigma in the nose, and he grabs my hand with his mouth. Sometimes he gets too excited and bites a bit firmer than I would like, and I snatch my hand back to punch him again a bit quicker than is smart. Ouchie.

Nah, not nervous about them at all. I'm just saying a pit bull is a bit more intimidating than a chihuahua, who tries to frighten it's enemies by trembling all over. :v: Sorry if it came across as something else! Didn't mean it like that.

There's a GSD at work, as well! He's awesome, and one of his ears doesn't stand up, so he's got one perky ear and one floppy ear :3:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Bash Ironfist posted:

Nah, not nervous about them at all. I'm just saying a pit bull is a bit more intimidating than a chihuahua, who tries to frighten it's enemies by trembling all over. :v: Sorry if it came across as something else! Didn't mean it like that.

I don't know, I have seen some pretty god drat intimidating landshark Chihuahuas. And I'm honestly just as wary of a trembling and fearful dog than of an outwardly aggressive appearing one a lot of the time.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Anybody here got any experience arguing custody of a dog? What evidence should we have of who the dog belongs to? I hope vet records will work.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Who bought the dog originally? County licensing? Microchip registration? Vet records could work I guess, they're legal documents...

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
So far as I know, the dog is registered to my sister under the town and the vet's office. I don't remember who bought Nia, my sister or my parents. This is in Alberta, Canada, for reference.

This part is E/N: I'm asking because for some godforsaken reason, my mother had the police seize Nia, a nine year old Papillion, when they cleared the house of "her" belongings when she had my father served with a restraining order/custody papers(of some sort) for my two youngest siblings. Since we know we're not likely to be allowed custody of the kids until after this goes to court, we'd at least like to get Nia back, as my mother is not remotely a responsible pet caregiver. Examples being: refusing to take the dog to the groomer or vet because "she might bite me" and "I get scared of her when she growls like that". Sleeping, drunk, out in her van and letting Nia just roam around the yard and street in the middle of the night. Refusing to pay for vet visits/food when asked because "it's not her dog".
I don't know if she's got food for Nia, the bed was left behind, as well as all Nia's treats and the pet health supplements we'd been trying out.

tl;dr: mother is a twat and we want to get the dog back.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

Ye Worse User-name posted:

"Hey great, my cat caught a mouse! I should throw it away before she eats it, because I've been seeing blocks of rat poison placed around the building!"

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Canadian Bakin posted:

So far as I know, the dog is registered to my sister under the town and the vet's office. I don't remember who bought Nia, my sister or my parents. This is in Alberta, Canada, for reference.

This part is E/N: I'm asking because for some godforsaken reason, my mother had the police seize Nia, a nine year old Papillion, when they cleared the house of "her" belongings when she had my father served with a restraining order/custody papers(of some sort) for my two youngest siblings. Since we know we're not likely to be allowed custody of the kids until after this goes to court, we'd at least like to get Nia back, as my mother is not remotely a responsible pet caregiver. Examples being: refusing to take the dog to the groomer or vet because "she might bite me" and "I get scared of her when she growls like that". Sleeping, drunk, out in her van and letting Nia just roam around the yard and street in the middle of the night. Refusing to pay for vet visits/food when asked because "it's not her dog".
I don't know if she's got food for Nia, the bed was left behind, as well as all Nia's treats and the pet health supplements we'd been trying out.

tl;dr: mother is a twat and we want to get the dog back.

Basically what Topoisomerase said. If his name/money is on the vet records, license, and/or microchip, then it's legally his (at least in most places afaik). This is one of the reasons I hang onto those types of documents.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Bash Ironfist posted:

Nah, not nervous about them at all. I'm just saying a pit bull is a bit more intimidating than a chihuahua, who tries to frighten it's enemies by trembling all over. :v: Sorry if it came across as something else!

I dunno man, I'd trust a pit over a strange chihuahua any day. I've never met a pibble that wasn't a sweetheart, but probably 75% of the chihuahuas I've met were bitey little antisocial shits.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Chihuahuas are the most known to have fatal bites. When one does bite you it's pretty much over.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

ChairmanMeow posted:

Chihuahuas are the most known to have fatal bites. When one does bite you it's pretty much over.

(For the chihuahua.) :ssh:

Been a while since I posted some random nonsense about my dog. Today I clipped Corbin's nails for the first time (before, it was always done by a vet or groomer). He was very relaxed and didn't even flinch when I accidentally cut a bit too far on one nail. What a trooper. :3: I've never clipped dogs' nails but it's a hell of a lot easier than clipping rat, bird, and guinea pig nails.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

Bash Ironfist posted:

Chihuahuas can be mean little bastards. I've been bitten pretty badly by small dogs; of course, that's not to say that a bigger dog won't do more damage when they decide to bite, because they will. Bigger dogs can do more damage because, well, they're bigger.

Pit Bulls don't have special teeth. They have regular dog teeth. I know you're not ragging on them or trying to be negative, but they're teeth aren't "serious business" any more than any other medium/large dog. Teeth size/bite strength is pretty much relative to the size of the dog, as a NatGeo study pretty much proved - between an APBT, GSD, and a Rottweiler, the largest dog (Rottie) had the strongest bite and the smallest dog (Pit Bull) had the weakest.

In other news, I'm kind of conflicted, because I met an Ambully the other day that was a really cool dude. He was so friendly and happy and he just loved everybody. :3: I almost feel bad for being so hard on them, but I know what a genetic mess they are and that they can be unstable because of how badly they're bred. I'd just never met one before, and I was surprised by what a great dog he was. I guess I just feel bad for demonizing them so much. :smith:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
American Bulldog or English Bulldog?

American Bulldogs are pretty functional at least but I'm not familiar with their health problems. They're kind of the last dog I think of when I hear "genetic mess" though.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Kerfuffle posted:

American Bulldog or English Bulldog?

American Bulldogs are pretty functional at least but I'm not familiar with their health problems. They're kind of the last dog I think of when I hear "genetic mess" though.

Ambullys are traditionally British Bulldog/Pit crosses (with Mastiff, and other bully types of blood thrown in). They're the ultra tuff low-ridin' bully type dogs people traditionally think of when you say "pit bull".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
You sure? I thought that thing was a (TUFF DAWGS) "pit bull". Pretty much every single google image of "american bulldog" is what I thought was an american bulldog.

e: ohhhh I get it now :downs:

I didn't know "Ambully" was its own thing. Is that what I'm missing?

• Locked thread