Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
:neckbeard: WE SO EXCITED :neckbeard:

Really happy to see this part being used, it was one of my favorites growing up. Why couldn't they have made Alien Conquest when I was a kid instead of that stupid UFO theme?

Then again, if it had come out in 1997 I (i.e. my parents) definitely wouldn't have been able to afford the really cool sets.

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
The Earth Defense HQ is super awesome and fun to build and looks great and congrats. :toot:

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
I just finished putting together the Vampyre Hearse after picking it up from TRU yesterday.

On the plus side: It looks really cool. All the little details are nicely used and the minifigs are pretty rad. I even went ahead and put the sticker on, which I'm usually kind of iffy about doing. Also, the motorcycle you get is basically a bang-on match in color-scheme to Deadpool's Chopper, which I picked up the second I heard about it a while back. So it would work really well for a Deadpool/Wolverine motorcycle showdown or something. It's a good fun build without too much repetition. Didn't take too long, but of course it's not a huge set.

My only complaint is that the whole vampire-launching bit doesn't really work that well. The opening roof seems too snug to flip up easily so it's really not a smooth motion, and the instructions made it pretty ambiguous as to how exactly the lower half of the coffin attaches in the back.

Since I buy and build mostly for display rather than play, this isn't really a big deal, and overall I'm really happy with it.

EDIT: It's fun to wheel it around while blasting this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPcd6H43c8k in the background!

Moacher fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 19, 2012

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

The Earth Defense HQ is super awesome and fun to build and looks great and congrats. :toot:

My only unfortunate thing I've discovered so far is that the little capture pod thing in Earth Defense HQ doesn't have the right connector to fit on the back of the Jet-Copter :(

My local Target has all the Alien sets (Tripod Invasion, Alien Abduction, and Mothership) -- gonna be hard to not buy those.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

My only unfortunate thing I've discovered so far is that the little capture pod thing in Earth Defense HQ doesn't have the right connector to fit on the back of the Jet-Copter :(

My local Target has all the Alien sets (Tripod Invasion, Alien Abduction, and Mothership) -- gonna be hard to not buy those.

Don't resist.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Moacher posted:

My only complaint is that the whole vampire-launching bit doesn't really work that well. The opening roof seems too snug to flip up easily so it's really not a smooth motion, and the instructions made it pretty ambiguous as to how exactly the lower half of the coffin attaches in the back.

Yes, this. I built it today and like... if you attach it where it's supposed to go, it hangs on the lid of the hearse and doesn't pop out. If you put it one stud lower, it'll pop out but its still in a lovely position. Don't even think of putting the lid on.

And it seems like the problem stems from the fact that the platform that the coffin sits on is connected with technic pins so it has a little wobble to it if you put it in the proper space, so it can wiggle side to side enough to not cleanly clear those bricks. Shouldn't be too hard to modify but still.

Looks bitching next to the Lunar Limo, btw.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Caved and got the Monster Fighters "Mummy" set because I haven't bought any Legos in a good while. I'd love to get the Ghost Train because it looks awesome and ghosts are cool, but $80, ugh.

Edit-- also I'm a total sucker for glow-in-the-dark anything.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Why didn't anyone say how great Technic is!? Grabbed the quad bike thing for a bit of fun and it was great to build. The way the frame works and the suspension is fantastic and interesting. Might grab that red jet plane thing next and try that. But I think things on four wheels (or treads) are likely to be more fun.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
The big Imperial Shuttle is currently $50 (20%) off on Amazon.com. A smidge over $200.

Wank posted:

Why didn't anyone say how great Technic is!? Grabbed the quad bike thing for a bit of fun and it was great to build. The way the frame works and the suspension is fantastic and interesting. Might grab that red jet plane thing next and try that. But I think things on four wheels (or treads) are likely to be more fun.

For most people Technic seems to be a bit all or nothing. Not sure where you are, but it's not so big in the US and UK, but really popular in Western Europe, especially Germany. As someone mentioned there is a very active Technic community over on Eurobricks.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Had a thought today about making a wall/gate/barricade with angle spears across it. After a few iterations, this is what I ended up with:

I originally had a lower wall, and studs connecting the clips to the headlight bricks. The studs proved too weak when moving the spears and would loosen and come off. I also only had transparent (red and blue) cones until managed to find some grey ones. If I plan something larger, I'm going to need to do an online pick-a-brick to get what I need.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
A warning to any Ausgoons looking to pick up anything at the mid-year toy sales: The Target sale unofficially starts tomorrow night, instead of Thursday.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

Wank posted:

Technic is amazing, especially the more complex models like the supercar or unimog. Putting together a 4 way transmission / gear case to switch between motorized functions is really satisfying. They also almost have fun B-models with different features/aesthetics that are fun to put together.

My only real complaint about technic is there are so many trucks with crane type things on them, but it's an easy way to get a lot of the possibilities of technic into a single set.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
If you really like technic and see what can be done with it without power functions https://www.crowkillers.com

He charges $10 for his instructions, and it would cost around $250-300 to get the parts to build it as they are either rare or expensive. But the level of detail he puts into his cars are amazing.

The B models are great, the B model for the 8051 motorcycle is one of my favorites and think it is better than the A model.

I just love technic overall, it just doesn't have the same fanbase as other sets.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Merchant of Death posted:

If you really like technic and see what can be done with it without power functions https://www.crowkillers.com

He charges $10 for his instructions, and it would cost around $250-300 to get the parts to build it as they are either rare or expensive. But the level of detail he puts into his cars are amazing.

The B models are great, the B model for the 8051 motorcycle is one of my favorites and think it is better than the A model.

I just love technic overall, it just doesn't have the same fanbase as other sets.

My bank account just got really really mad at you. I want to build that Vampire GT, badly.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
I love the vampire GT, but my favourite is his super car deluxe 2. It will be the first of his models I buy instructions when I can afford to part it out on bricklink and buy another 8070 supercar for parts.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

Technic is great. I have 8880: Supercar from 1994 (to date my best find, $5 at a Salvation Army) and it is a beautiful piece of engineering. I mean, there is a gear shift right between the seats that actually WORKS AND SHIFTS GEARS. It's amazing.

That said, Technic is a whole different system from traditional LEGO, and I think that's why it's less popular/receiving less love. It has a completely different feel, which is fine, but it's hard to integrate Technic sets with the rest of your collection. I haven't bought a Technic set at retail for over a decade, but they are incredibly impressive (like the Unimog, holy poo poo). I think a lot of us prefer things that are more swooshable, can interact with minifigs, or be used a dollhouse.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Mr. Glass posted:

You need to get the Tripod at least. It's amazing fun and looks cool. I really wish I picked up another or two when they went on super low sale a while ago. Kick myself every now and then. :(

The Abduction one is pretty cool too. It has a light piece, which is the first I've seen, so it's novel, and I like the design of the UFO. The EDF guy and barrier isn't too great on it's own but you do want another troop for that giant HQ!

Not a fan of the Mothership, though. The build looks novel (the train tracks for the rim of the UFO and the claw in particular) but it's also really big so you're going to need some room for it, but I also don't trust it to just not flop over and crash onto the floor. Also, the sound chip is kind of lame. It's some weird siren sound when it obviously should have been a theremin sound like a proper UFO would make. :colbert:

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

that stupid UFO theme

Blasphemy! UFO gave us the best minifig shoulder pads ever. It also gave us this:

Next you're going to tell me that Insectoids sucked. Or RoboForce.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Optimist Prime posted:

Blasphemy! UFO gave us the best minifig shoulder pads ever. It also gave us this:

This set is pretty cool looking.

Also, does anyone know the part numbers for the flexible tentacle thing on that UFO? I had a couple of sets back in the day that one, but I haven't seen any lately. Do they still make them?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

ManMythLegend posted:

This set is pretty cool looking.

Also, does anyone know the part numbers for the flexible tentacle thing on that UFO? I had a couple of sets back in the day that one, but I haven't seen any lately. Do they still make them?

I posted about them, they stopped making them around 2000, I think. I just remember the AquaZone(?) sets with the shark ships that had them.

I also had the ship above, but I couldn't get it to stay together :argh:

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Not a fan of the Mothership, though. The build looks novel (the train tracks for the rim of the UFO and the claw in particular) but it's also really big so you're going to need some room for it, but I also don't trust it to just not flop over and crash onto the floor. Also, the sound chip is kind of lame. It's some weird siren sound when it obviously should have been a theremin sound like a proper UFO would make. :colbert:

If it doesn't sound like this, it's a complete waste of time :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ65TsbMO4g

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Optimist Prime posted:

As someone who owned just about every Insectoids set,

Insectoids sucked.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Yeah sorry dude, but RoboForce and Insectoids both sucked.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Pirate Ken posted:

Technic is great. I have 8880: Supercar from 1994 (to date my best find, $5 at a Salvation Army) and it is a beautiful piece of engineering. I mean, there is a gear shift right between the seats that actually WORKS AND SHIFTS GEARS. It's amazing.

That said, Technic is a whole different system from traditional LEGO, and I think that's why it's less popular/receiving less love. It has a completely different feel, which is fine, but it's hard to integrate Technic sets with the rest of your collection.

I think there's another problem with Technic. Everyone starts with basic LEGO bricks. That's where the nostalgia is. Technic comes along much later in the cycle, about the time that we're all becoming adolescents. Many of us feel we're "too old" for LEGO at that time and busy with other activities. LEGO just doesn't connect with everyone the way it did just a few years prior.

Once people become AFOLs, they want the stuff they remember fondly from their youth. Usually, that's basic LEGO, not Technic.

It doesn't help that it's harder to build with Technic.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Minecraft set is $35 on the LEGO website, a 30% discount.

I couldn't resist, picked up it and the Vampyre Hearse. :3:

zorch fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 19, 2012

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
How is that 30% off? 35 is the retail price.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

For the red Vampire GT, if you get the 8070 supercar and the technic jet plane you're actually most of the way there as far as expensive parts (panels, mostly) go. The rest is fairly cheap on bricklink, and almost everything that isn't red can be other colors without affecting the final look much. Rebrickable.com has the parts list for the Vampire and makes it pretty easy to figure out what you still need.

I've built the Vampire GT (red) and the Supercar Deluxe 2 and I definitely prefer the Vampire. If Lego ever makes the black flexible axles again I'll probably buy the parts to make a black one.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

Yeah sorry dude, but RoboForce and Insectoids both sucked.
Hey. OK. So Insectoids did kind of suck (the execution, mind you, not the concept). But RoboForce?

I mean, it's not like "Classic" Space didn't have some unconventional designs. The only difference between those sets and the RoboForce lineup is that RoboForce had more SNOT and better colors. :colbert:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Oh gently caress, RoboForce was probably my absolute favorite when I was a young'un. Robo Stalker was probably my favorite. I have got to go dig out my old Legos, hand to god.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

RoboForce is the poor man's Spyrius

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

einTier posted:

I think there's another problem with Technic. Everyone starts with basic LEGO bricks. That's where the nostalgia is. Technic comes along much later in the cycle, about the time that we're all becoming adolescents. Many of us feel we're "too old" for LEGO at that time and busy with other activities. LEGO just doesn't connect with everyone the way it did just a few years prior.

Once people become AFOLs, they want the stuff they remember fondly from their youth. Usually, that's basic LEGO, not Technic.

Might explain why I like technic more, my parents started getting me the sets when I was very young, so I grew up with technic and ice planet in parallel. And seeing huge technic sets in the stores is what got me back into lego, I basicly bought some sets to distract myself from finals in college.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
M-Tron supremacy.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Had alot of that as well, I always ended up giving a guy per set the pirate epaulets.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
M:Tron was pretty rad.

Ika posted:

Had alot of that as well, I always ended up giving a guy per set the pirate epaulets.

Didn't Space Police II actually have a couple of minifigs with epaulets?

e: Got the tripod today, totally in love with that ball joint thingie on the front. Gonna need to acquire some more of those.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

MaliciousOnion posted:

A warning to any Ausgoons looking to pick up anything at the mid-year toy sales: The Target sale unofficially starts tomorrow night, instead of Thursday.

Do you know if there are any particularly awesome deals at Target? Last time I went to my local store they had a ton of City sets and not much else and no Creator sets except a couple of smaller cars / planes. It all seemed targeted at kids rather than AFOLs :(

Fake edit - a quick look at the catalogue tells me they have 20% off all Lego (does not include already reduced sets) and they're mainly pushing Star Wars, Ninjago and Spongebob as well as a few City sets.

Real edit - Big W is also having a sale (starting on the 28th?) and all the City vehicles (garbage truck, campervan, etc) will be $20 each if anyone is looking to round out their collection / get gifts for younger relatives. They'll also have the new Dino range and the new Star Wars Destroyer (for the low, low price of $500).

cyberia fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 19, 2012

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Mr. Glass posted:

Didn't Space Police II actually have a couple of minifigs with epaulets?

Yes, they did.

I made my two Blacktron1 guys the bosses of my legions of Blacktron2 guys. The Space Police1 guys didn't look as cool as the SP2 guys, though, so they were kind of an axillary, not really like the elite command.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

TriggerHappy posted:

For the red Vampire GT, if you get the 8070 supercar and the technic jet plane you're actually most of the way there as far as expensive parts (panels, mostly) go. The rest is fairly cheap on bricklink, and almost everything that isn't red can be other colors without affecting the final look much. Rebrickable.com has the parts list for the Vampire and makes it pretty easy to figure out what you still need.

I've built the Vampire GT (red) and the Supercar Deluxe 2 and I definitely prefer the Vampire. If Lego ever makes the black flexible axles again I'll probably buy the parts to make a black one.

Thanks, I guess the cv joints will be the only real expensive part I need. I might just have to build both. What made you like the Vampire over the Supercar Deluxe 2? I am going to have a hard time deciding which to invest my time and money into first.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Optimist Prime posted:

Hey. OK. So Insectoids did kind of suck (the execution, mind you, not the concept). But RoboForce?

I mean, it's not like "Classic" Space didn't have some unconventional designs. The only difference between those sets and the RoboForce lineup is that RoboForce had more SNOT and better colors. :colbert:

You best not be talkin' smack about the Robot Command Center.

In other news, unless you like swamp monsters (which I do) the set is just as underwhelming as it looks on the box. I guess it just gives me an excuse to build my own Rita and Black Lagoon diorama.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

cyberia posted:

Do you know if there are any particularly awesome deals at Target? Last time I went to my local store they had a ton of City sets and not much else and no Creator sets except a couple of smaller cars / planes. It all seemed targeted at kids rather than AFOLs :(

Fake edit - a quick look at the catalogue tells me they have 20% off all Lego (does not include already reduced sets) and they're mainly pushing Star Wars, Ninjago and Spongebob as well as a few City sets.

Real edit - Big W is also having a sale (starting on the 28th?) and all the City vehicles (garbage truck, campervan, etc) will be $20 each if anyone is looking to round out their collection / get gifts for younger relatives. They'll also have the new Dino range and the new Star Wars Destroyer (for the low, low price of $500).

Most targets I've seen have had a pretty rubbish selection. Still better than Kmart though which has been universally woeful for me. Going to try and check out a Target tonight in Brisbane somewhere.

David Jones/Myer still have by far the widest range. I'm assuming Myer will have their usual stocktake sale this month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Granite Octopus posted:

Most targets I've seen have had a pretty rubbish selection. Still better than Kmart though which has been universally woeful for me. Going to try and check out a Target tonight in Brisbane somewhere.

David Jones/Myer still have by far the widest range. I'm assuming Myer will have their usual stocktake sale this month?

The kmart near me (Brunswick) has been pretty good lately. I got the Creator Hillside House for $70 because the box was slightly dented and they have all the Lego board games for ~$25 each. They also have the widest range of Friends sets of any of the department stores.

Myer has a catalogue out for their sale. They've got the Camper Van for $129 which is crazy cheap, the London Bridge for $299 and they've got 20% off everything else.

I forgot in my last edit to mention that Big W also have the Seaside House for $35.